The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Six, Part Three - Midweek Action

by BrumalHunter

Darren rolled his eyes at his friend’s silliness, and though he tried not to, he smiled. Tyler was the kind of person who made it his life’s mission to spread smiles, laughter or both wherever he went. Darren thought he would have been better suited to a life as an Azumarill, but then he remembered the Axew’s occasional fit of temper. In those cases, his Dragon lineage was resoundingly clear.

‘So,’ Darren said, trying to steer the conversation onto a topic with at least a semblance of relevance, ‘what do you think Mr Kaori wants us to do today?’

‘Really, Darren?’ Tyler asked, lifting his arm back over Aiden’s shoulder and dropping it to his side. ‘His class is down the corridor and to the right. What good will speculations do you when we’re going to find out in less than a minute anyway?’

It seemed the Dragon was adamant on avoiding any subject related to school if he was in the mood for being random, which, unfortunately, happened to be his current one. But after having that thought, Darren realised he was starting to think like Minerva, and that was disconcerting. He didn’t want to be a wet blanket in a teacup!

‘It does the same amount of good as Wailord quotes,’ he responded matter-of-factly, ‘which is to say, no good at all. It’s just something we do to pass the time.’

He scowled upon realising that was almost exactly what Minerva would have said (and that after just contaminating a couple of figurative expressions). Sitting more than two seats away from him in no classes but Mr Van der Brunnen’s, she was having too great an influence on him. Darren resolved to do something about it, but what he would decide later.

‘You know, like most teachers, Mr Kaori follows a pattern,’ Aiden pointed out. ‘Every second Giraday starts with an hour of intermittent exercises, followed by sparring matchups into pairs. Though it’s not that obvious, it’s still an easy pattern to notice.’

‘I… did not,’ Tyler said, afterwards smacking his forehead with the palm of his right hand. If Darren had been capable, he would have done the same.

Once they arrived at Mr Kaori's class, the Throh teacher, being his usual Hasty self, wasted no time in proving Aiden's explanation correct.

'Ah, my top student has arrived!' Mr Maori looked at Darren and Tyler. 'Err, hello boys.' He adjusted his stance so he looked at the trio equally. 'Now, you three know what to do, so make like an Excadrill and follow the usual routine. But today, you will be using only Physical moves. Aiden will one day grow up to be a big, strong Arcanine that will sweep many teams with Flare Blitz - if your team has removed all of your possible checks and if you are prepared for any surprises like wild Mothims in your Berry bushes, of course - so using Physical moves will be like a second Adamant Nature to him.

'Tyler, you too are more Physical than Special (but take that from a Battle perspective, not a philosophical one), so you will also enjoy tackling the Snorlax plushies lined up against the wall over there. Darren, you will probably enjoy this the least, but I'm sure you will still have fun. Maybe a bit more if your mother bought you more wild Farfetch'ds, eh?'

The Throh laughed and patted his leg, but when nobody else did, he abruptly stopped. Darren looked down at his legs and to the back at his haunches. While he wasn't as fit as Aiden, he definitely wasn't lanky or skinny.

'I mean this only as a joke, of course,' Mr Kaori offered. 'You have my apologies if I have offended you. But enough of listening to me! If you let me continue taking nonsense, the period will be over,' he snapped his fingers, 'like that. Go! Tackle the overweight dolls! Make them feel like becoming Shuppets and haunting you!'

'Those are Banette , sir,' Darren said.

'They are those Ghosts with the zipper mouths, yes?'

'Yes, sir.'

'Then make that Snorlax want to become a Banette! He is taunting you; he does not think you can do it.'

Darren looked at the inanimate plushy. 'I don't think I actually can, sir, but I'll-'

'Aiden and Tyler have already charged at the fat cats, but not you. You chat with me. Leave the banter and go!'

Darren shrugged and gathered his electricity. He would ordinarily have objected to charging at a wall, but a plushie was better than an Aggron or something like that, so he supposed he had it easy.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:48 am
EnderFlash wrote a review...

Well, I am here! :D I'll finish this and leave the rest of your chapters to review day.

I'm so sad that I'm pointing out typos, but I really don't have much to put in the critique section that I haven't sucked all the life out of in my previous reviews (description, dialogue balance, etc.)

if your team has removed all of your possible checks and if you are prepared for any surprises like wild Mothims in your in your Berry bushes, of course..
This one is fairly obvious; "in your in your".

I'm being generous with myself when I use the word "typos". It's only one.

---

Now on to the more fun comments section!

1. Flare Blitz, huh...? It's been quite a while since I've picked up Alpha Sapphire, but I remember focusing mostly on Sp. Attack with my fire types since there are more good special attacks. Plus, since Flare Blitz hurts you, I preferred to Fire Blast my way out of things. Perhaps I just suck at team composition- I tried IV/EV training for a bit before tossing it and focusing on trading over battling.

2. Now that I've mentioned it, how important will IV/EV's be? It'd be both hilarious and concerning for a perfect IV Pokemon to show up.

3. Is this a class for the Physical Attack attribute only? Oh boy, Darren, have fun.

3. Mr. Kaori is definitely a little, um, crude, but he's not too rude. Maybe that's just because I'm sort of cougha hugecough jerk myself. I mean, at least he apologizes/can take a hint that he said something inappropiate (one of my teachers can't).

BrumalHunter says...

That's fine by me. :)

1. Typo = fixed.
2. I'd also prefer to use Special Attack for any Fire type, but Arcanine's predominant stat is Attack, which is why Flare Blitz is often used. If you have a Healer on your team, it would help quite a lot, though.
3. Not particularly.
4. No, but Mr Kaori is a Fighting type, and their moves are mostly Physical. ;)
5. That he is, yes. I didn't want any of my teachers to be similar. XD

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:23 pm
Ventomology wrote a review...

I have made it! I know this is the later part, but I promise I read everything in the correct order, and this installment popped up on the home page.

Also, I have changed my reviewing structure.

General Comments:

1. Hunter, please avoid indirect characterization. It's nice to know little details about Tyler, like his Dragon-type temper, but they would be more surprising and dramatic in a fight or argument.

Details:

1. Is Mr Van der Brunnen a fire type? If he is, you're going down the same terrible path I've been on for the past few years.

2. Watch your connotation in this sentence please.

While he wasn't as fit as Aiden, he definitely wasn't lanky or slender.
Lanky can sort of fit in this situation, but slender implies a kind of fitness that most people pair with elegance. 'Skinny' probably has the most negative connotation out of all the possible synonyms and is a nice antonym for 'muscular,' which I assume is how you're trying to describe Aiden.

3. There's a comma splice in Mr Kaori's line about Snorlax plushies taunting Darren. I know it's dialogue, but it's still wrong.

Characters, Plot, and Misc. Items:

1. You've characterized Mr Kaori pretty well, as expected, given the stellar work on the other teachers. (And it was all indirect! Yay!)

2. I keep forgetting that this is a direct follow-up from the last part, so I was going to comment on the opening line. Oops. Good job keeping the chapter together.

3. Darren's horror at turning into Minerva had me nearly laughing (but I didn't, because I was in the car). He's such a silly kid.

Well, that's is for this chapter. Onto the next one!

BrumalHunter says...

Ah, of course. I'm commenting chronologically, so I missed that note on your review structure. But I like it!

Comments:
1. Wouldn't it then be too sudden?

Details:
1. What do you mean? (He's an old, monotonous Torkoal that teaches Experience. It's actually the next class after Battle.)
2. That is definitely correct and has just been changed.
3. The comma has been replaced with a semi-colon.

Miscellaneous:
1. Whoo! (Tort and Ender seem to like commenting on the teachers, so I can't wait for them to get here - after all, Mr Kaori is the first openly rude teacher, albeit unintentionally.)
2. ;)
3. Of course, and your parents had already given you looks for giggling. Wait, never mind, you giggled when reviewing the previous part, which was after this one. Either way, I'm glad my writing warms your heart and brings joy to your life! (Excuse the exaggeration.)

I should probably have said that I'll eagerly await part four's review here, but oh well. Have a nice week!

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster