The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Four, Part Two - Unfamiliar Terrain

by BrumalHunter

‘Does anyone care to venture a guess as to the subject of today’s lesson?’ Mr Kana asked once everyone has settled down. He looked at each of his students in return, but only received blank stares. Well, except from Minerva, of course. When Mr Kana looked at her, her expression was one of concentration and frustration. She was not the kind of mon who was used to not answering a question.

‘I would guess, sir’ she responded finally, ‘but with two out of the three bowls empty, I can’t.’

The Medicham smiled. ‘Very well, I shall fill the second bowl as well.’

He strode over to one of the neatly stacked boxes on the shelves behind his desk and removed a cobalt phial containing an icy blue liquid from it. He then emptied the phial into the bowl; though it was the simplest of actions, the theatre of it was astounding: white mist flowed over the rim, afterwards creeping across the desk and over its edge, dissipating before reaching the floor. It was mystical and wonderful to behold, for the students had never seen anything like it.

‘Judging by your wide eyes and enthralled expressions, I take it that did not enlighten you much. Am I right, Minerva?’

The Vulpix blushed. Had Darren not been sitting beside her, he would not have noticed her mahogany cheeks darken ever so slightly to carnelian.

Mr Kana returned to the box from which he had produced the phial of dewy liquid (which was still causing mist to overflow the bowl’s rim) and produced a metallic contraption quite unlike the elegant potion. It was crude and simple and looked like some Steel type’s toy – a boring, metal box with a few knobs and levers, as well as two antennae at the end. Said antennae had balls which were the colour of an Ampharos’ wool on their tips and which resembled the balls at the end of an Ampharos’ tail. Mr Kana placed the contraption in the third bowl, pulled one of its levers, turned a dial, and stepped back as the device fizzed and spat. After a few seconds, a continuous stream of electricity appeared between the two antennae.

So, the subject of their lesson would be a clump of lush grass, some portable fog, and a rudimentary representation of a Magnezone’s inner circuit board (or whatever served as their power source). Darren wasn’t sure what any of that had to do with Strategy & Tactics, but the three bowls’ contents were probably connected in some obscure way he was too slow to comprehend.

‘Grass, Ice, and Electric…’ Minerva mumbled under her breath. ‘Grass, Ice, and Electric… Sleep, freezing, and paralysis? No, there would have been Fire and Poison as well if that were the case… It can’t be an attack, since Ice, Electric and Fire exist in such combinations…’

‘Any idea?’ Darren heard Tyler whisper to Aiden.

‘Not a clue,’ the Growlithe replied.

‘I shall relieve you from your suffering,’ Mr Kana said, smiling slightly. ‘The content of these three bowls represent moves that are closely linked. While it may be unfamiliar terrain to you now, the point of this lesson is to rectify that.’

Minerva looked more confused than ever, but Aiden’s eyes lit up. ‘Of course!’ he whispered to no-one in particular.

‘As Aiden here seems to have finally deduced,’ Mr Kana announced, ‘today’s lesson will be about the three terrain moves, namely Grassy Terrain, Misty Terrain, and Electric Terrain.’

A collective gasp escaped the mouths of everyone but the two beside Darren; Aiden grinned, satisfied, while Minerva scowled and spat a few orange embers out the window after Aiden stuck his tongue out at her.

‘The first of these terrain moves, Grassy Terrain, is supportive in nature, since it gradually heals all who are affected by it and reduces the damage received from attacks such as… Why is Minerva the only one writing this down?’

The class suddenly filled with the sounds of rummaging and books being dropped onto desks. Darren himself quickly wrote down what the teacher had said, for Mr Kana was patient, so he’d wait for everyone to start writing, but once he began his explanations, he rarely stopped until he had finished with a section.

‘Now, as I was saying, Grassy Terrain also halves the damage received from attacks such as Earthquake, Bulldoze, and Magnitude. The reason for this is that the energy that created the terrain cushions the blow received from these attacks. As such, it is ideally used on teams that benefit from the mitigation of Ground moves, teams that contain Electric or Fire Pokémon in them, for example. However, Grassy Terrain also doubles the damage done by Grass moves, for reasons I don’t need to explain. Therefore, Grass and Fire Pokémon on these teams would work well in tandem, especially in a double or triple battle.

‘The next terrain move is Misty Terrain, which is protective in nature. This move is, despite what you initially believed, not Ice-based, but Fairy-based. It prevents those affected from being afflicted by any non-volatile status conditions and removes any non-volatile status conditions already applied. Rest will therefore fail, and Yawn will make the target drowsy, but it will not fall asleep. If only that were in place now, Duncan might actually write this down too.’ Tyler turned around and poked the Drowzee with his pen, waking him up. ‘Misty Terrain also has the benefit of halving the damage of Dragon-based moves.

‘The final terrain move, Electric Terrain, is disruptive by nature, seeing as it increases the power of Electric moves by half and prevents those afflicted from falling asleep. Yawn and Rest are affected the same way as when Misty Terrain is in effect. It can be used on a team with predominantly Electric Pokémon or against teams that regularly employ sleep, such as Grass teams. This is especially useful if both cases apply, since the added damage may negate Grass’ resistance to Electric-based moves. Is everyone still following?’

‘More or less…’ Nicole replied.

After a minute passed, Mr Kana repeated the question, but that time, the response was positive. ‘Good. Now, there are several subtle similarities between these moves. I could hand them to you on a metaphorical platter, but I want you to tell me what they are instead. When you’re done with that, bring your books to me so I can mark it. After half an hour, I shall have one of you read out the answer so the others can copy it. You may begin.’

Darren looked at what he had written down and tried to find the pattern. Obviously, all three moves caused the terrain to be altered, but Mr Kana specifically said to look for subtle differences. After a few minutes, he realised that none of the terrains would affect those in the sky, but that was probably too obvious as well. Why did Mr Kana’s instructions always have to be so difficult?

‘Do you have any idea what the differences are?’ Tyler whispered to Aiden.

‘No discussing, please,’ Mr Kana said from behind his desk, gazing sternly at Tyler. ‘If I had wanted this to be a collaborative effort, I would have said as much.’

Darren had wanted to ask Aiden the same question, but he was glad he had decided not to. However, Aiden did seem to know, for after another minute, he took his book to the Medicham, who then sent him back with a nod of approval. Aiden flashed a smile at Minerva, who huffed in indignation and scribbled furiously away. She then shook her curls out of her eyes and took her book to Mr Kana too, who gave her the same nod. She pulled a face at Aiden and then also returned to her desk.

Twenty minutes later, only Malcolm had also found the same similarities. Tyler and Seamus had taken their books forward multiple times, but they were sent back each time. Darren simply sat there, occasionally writing something, just to scratch it out a moment later.

Five minutes before their time had elapsed, Darren finally saw it. If you regarded the moves together, instead of apart, three common effects emerged: the moves of a particular type were either doubled or halved, and non-volatile status conditions were negated. Two of the moves negated the status conditions, two halved a type’s move-damage, and two increased it by half.

Triumphant, Darren wrote them down and took his book to Mr Kana, who looked it over critically. ‘Well done, Darren,’ he said, nodding. ‘Since the time has elapsed, you may read your answer to the class.’

Darren happily did, resulting in many frustrated sighs (and a single snore). After Darren returned to his desk, Mr Kana explained to them how each of the moves also affected moves like Nature Power, Secret Power, and Camouflage. Darren had just completed his writing when the bell went.

‘Have a pleasant day, everyone. You are dismissed.’

The students happily hurried out of the class, but Aiden approached Mr Kana instead.

‘Sir, have you ever seen any of these terrains being used in a battle?’

‘I recall having encountered it once or twice during a tournament in my youth,’ he replied, emptying the bowls and packing them away. ‘It is not often used, but it can nevertheless swing a battle in the favour of its user. I therefore also advise that you be prepared against it, once you become a Trainer. I once almost fainted because of a Charge Beam amplified by an Electric Terrain.’

‘Why didn’t you faint?’ Aiden enquired curiously.

‘This.’ Mr Kana reached inside a box and produced a violet sash.

‘You wore a Focus Sash?’ Tyler asked, intrigued. ‘May I touch it?’

‘Of course.’

Tyler happily took the silken cloth and stroked it lovingly.

‘You know, Darren, Manectrics can learn Electric Terrain. I know you plan on following in your mother’s footsteps, but it has more uses than just for battling. I believe your mother once used it to supply power to the village when our battery broke.’

‘Really?’ Darren looked thoughtful. He had never thought that his mother could be capable of knowing any miscellaneous moves.

‘You should ask her to show you sometime. But now, you three must be off. I’m sure you have enough homework to do.’

‘Sure thing, sir!’ Aiden agreed. ‘See you on Giraday!’

He bounded out of the room, with Tyler following close behind. Darren followed slowly, lost in his thoughts. He knew his mother was special, but there really was more to her than he thought.

TinkerTwaggy wrote a review...

Seriously Darren, why the heck don't you ASK your Mom to teach you moves? Y'know, to get better in battle? She's a super Mom!
Ugh... Kids. XD

I. Impressions of the Shell Master!

1. I loved this chapter. The descriptions, reactions of the characters, the teacher, EVERYTHING about it makes me want to be there and think along with them. your flow's still pretty darn great, and I'm enjoying myself trying to figure out stuff along with the students. Thanks for having offered me this moment.
I love Pokemon <3

2. Grassy Terrain... Heheh. Funny. I'm really close to introduce this move in PMD :)

3. ...sees Electric Terrain mentioned. ...Argh. I need to keep playing Pokemon. Thinking about Twinkiel is almost painful.

4. Another reason why your world is so successfully realistic to me: I KNOW Pokemon. I KNOW what Pokemon lessons are like - 'cause yes, they appear in game/in the show.
You DON'T. And yet look at what you've done! You've created an actual situation in which things can be learned for these 'Mons, and we get to read it. This world is really promising, and you need to keep your understanding of the Pokemon world sharp enough to keepmaking chapters like this.
You can do it man :D

5. The Focus Sash is actually red and yellow. Image And never appears in Mystery Dungeon, since it's a man-made item. That aside, that is an amazing mention by the teacher. Hopefully he won that battle!

6. She's probably more special than you think, considering who her husband is, Darren.

7. Oh and by the way those strategies? They're Shell Master Approved. You've obviously put some thought into these, and they're perfect ways to introduce beginners to the usefulness of the Terrains. With the title, I kinda guessed they'd be mentioned, but not for the theme of this class session.
Interesting.

II. Conclusion!

Gosh I love this chapter. Now I'm really hungry for battles. Really, really, really hungry. I can't wait to read 'em. Then again that's alwyas the effect I get whenever I think/talk/read about anything that's strategic. I am... easily entertained XD

On to the next one!

When I START Making thesse Reviews... I cannot be stopped...

~Shell Master Tortwag~

BrumalHunter says...

I know, right? XD

Impressions:
1. I am pleased you feel this way. I take pride in my work and put much effort into its creation, so naturally, evoking such emotions in my readers is all for which I can reasonably hope. :D
2. It's that Maractus, isn't it? Spadassya is too far away, and you did mention your interest in using her. (By the way, if you're worrying about too many NPCs, keep this in mind: as long as they don't all tag along with your MC, you can have as many as you like.)
3. Why?
4. Aww, thanks! Your encouragement, as well as that of the others, helps me a lot. ^_^
5. Yeah, well, we already know what role humans play in this PMD fanfiction... Besides, why can't they have custom items? The sashes can be sold in different colours. ;)
6. Axel Sheridan wouldn't take a lover simply because of her appearance, even if she is Shiny. (They never married, though.)
7. Since I haven't played the games, my method of approaching the moves and strategies is to regard them logically and then analyse how they would be best put to use. But I'm thrilled you agree, as that means I'm on the right path.

Yeah, I see now, but don't worry: Giraday's roster has all three Battle subjects on it. Anyway, go, you can do it! (Although, judging by my notifications, you already did.)

TinkerTwaggy says...

1. Oh yes. And the effort shows, that's for sure!

2. it is, yes. An awesome new mate, you'll see (Ah. Then I'm fine, since they won't. I do plan a few gatherings sometimes, but it doesn't last, and I don't think they'll ever ALL be in the same place for a long period of time.)

3. Because reading your chapter made me think of Twinkiel, which made me think of the Original Twinkiel (who's now an Ampharos in that Nuzlocke of mine), which made me think of playing Pokemon, which I kinda stopped doing after reaching the Battle Frontier in Emerald. And I miss my 'Mons.

4. Friendship is freakin' magic! I'm a good cheer-boy, so better use that ability for people's sake :3

5. Custom items? Welp, that's what PMD's all about anyway.
...Custom colors. Huh. Usually different colors mean different effects, but alright! Still YOUR world, after all.

6. I kind of guessed he was the kind of free bird who wouldn't, yes. That confirms that. shame Darren isn't shiny.

7. I constantly forget that, which is why I'm paying attention to these bits. You didn't play the games, and I did, so I'm there to put Pokemon logic back in your (amazing) mind when you forget. So far, so good :D

(I got just as many notifications from your answers, so yeah XD)

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:44 pm
Ventomology wrote a review...

UM, WHAT IS WRONG WITH DARREN?! I should think, given that he knows his dad is a crazy criminal, Darren would have suspected for years that his mom was more than met the eye.

Anyways, I don't have any notes for you, since the chapter was mostly dialogue and explanation, but I do have some nitpicks:

Near the end of Mr. Kana's explanation on Misty Terrain, you take a small detour to describe Tyler waking up the incurably sleepy Drowsee. This should be a separate paragraph, or it can be separated out with em-dashes.

Tyler happily took the silken cloth and stroked it lovingly
UM, YES, HELLO, I WOULD LIKE TO REPORT A CASE OF CARELESS ADVERB USAGE.

So... onto the impressions?

1. Aiden and Minerva make me really happy. They seem so juvenile when they're competing, and it reminds me a lot of how I used to act. Watching their relationship change should be a blast. (Or a fire blast. Badum-tsss.)

I'm going to be honest though, if you end up having either Aiden or Minerva fall in love with the other, I will be so upset, because then it really will be like my life.

2. Like Ender, I see a lot of possible foreshadowing hiding in here. If terrain moves don't come up, I will be very disappointed. Waiting for some hardcore action is hard, especially when you're baiting your readers with strategy.

Err... that's about it? I can totally tell you're stalling in hopes of keeping your piece going longer, but you do a good job keeping everything interesting. World-building pays, eh?

Until next time,
-Buggie

(P.S. You are so behind on reviewing your companions' works. I got to Ender's fourth chapter yesterday, and neither you nor Tort had gotten to it yet. Tsk Tsk.)

BrumalHunter says...

Darren underestimates his mother because of her profession, but yes, he is foolish to think his father is his father simply because his mother's Shiny. (Am I leaving yet more clues...? ;))

As for your advice on paragraphing and adverb usage, it is duly noted. And now that I think about it, I could easily have expanded on "lovingly".

Impressions:
1. Don't worry, they won't fall in love. I do have other plans for them, though. I simply love my characters too much to ignore them.
2. Giraday's periods are Strategy & Tactics, Battle, and Experience, so the action is coming soon. Sadly, I must stall until I can access my computer's data, after which I can continue with my planning and then let the story progress faster.

World-building is awesome, yes. And thank you for your review! :D

PS: Yes, I know. :( This weekend, I am writing my posts for PMD and another SB, and the weekend after that, I'll write two posts for two different SBs, but after that, I should have time to review. If exams don't eat me, that is.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:04 am
EnderFlash wrote a review...

pokemonnnnnnnnnnz

I am so convinced that Mr. Kana will turn out to be a badass and then die. Probably not, but MY SENSES (THAT HAVE BEEN HONED BY MANGA) ARE TINGLING.

My main problem is that I'm not really getting a lot of distinct personalities or progress, mainly because it's drowned out in school stuff. I dunno, maybe this'll be useful, but this is a lot like a regular school lecture (which is probably the point), and guess how exciting those are. The way this is set up, I'm expecting that all this knowledge will come in useful for a later boss fight... Actually, what the heck is this complaint? I've already acknowledged my story as a slow build and here I am, complaining about other's choices of progress. Sorrrryyyy

Again, I really like your natural intepretation of how a Pokemon society would be like without humans. When I tried to do this with supernatural creatures in another story of mine, it was painfully awkward and obvious how I tried to force the magical aspects into daily life. You, however, do it very well.

Not much else to say, since this was mostly a lesson. Review... end!

BrumalHunter says...

Thank you for your review. And yes, progress is slow, but once Darren reaches the end of his week, the action will start rising, as I've said. However, I must currently stall, seeing as I can't access my planning... Hopefully, that problem disappears soon.

Stories don't end because you stopped paying attention.
— SJ Whitby