The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Five, Part Three - Beware the Watchog

by BrumalHunter

‘There are more important things than romantic relationships,’ Minerva stated indifferently, ‘especially at our age.’

‘We’re fifteen going on sixteen,’ Darren replied flatly, ‘with the rest of the class either the same age or about a year younger. Some would say having a relationship is part of growing up.’

‘Most of you don’t have boyfriends or girlfriends – you included – so you can’t really comment. Besides, it doesn’t serve much purpose anyway. It’s a distraction, just like this conversation.’

With an air of finality, she blew some Embers against the jar of water. Then, she dropped the Energy Root into it and pushed it aside.

‘Since you complain about getting your paws dirty, I’ll juice the Berries again. You can then chop up the Big Root.’

‘When you say “chop up”,’ Darren asked, ‘how small do you mean?’

‘As small as you can get it.’

‘Okay.’

He charged a little electricity and used it to apply the knife faster than he usually would, but since Minerva and Aiden were far more skilled in using their paws as hands than he was, he still worked at a below average rate. Fortunately, he didn’t plan on becoming a chef or alchemist, because if he did, he most certainly would not make the cut; throughout the process, bits and pieces had been flying helter-skelter.

Several uncomfortable minutes later, he gratefully dropped the knife. ‘Any luck with identifying that third poison yet?’

‘Not so far.’

Darren was incredulous. ‘The great Minerva does not know the solution to a problem? Pfft.’

‘That’s rude,’ she said, scowling.

‘There’s no need to be so touchy,’ he replied, no longer smiling. ‘It was supposed to be a compliment.’

‘You should know by now that I don’t care much for compliments. I want results.’

A bit annoyed, Darren said, ‘What, so after conquering two poisons without breaking a sweat–’

‘I have Drought for an Ability – that’s not possible.’

Glaring, he continued, ‘–you decide to leave the kitchen just because things heated up a little?’

‘Like I said–’

‘For once in your life, drop the sass and answer the question!’

Silence descended upon the class as eighteen eyes all focussed on him. Darren’s cheeks grew a slightly brighter yellow while Minerva’s turned crimson. She waited for the others to resume their own work before speaking again.

‘You are the last one to be criticising anybody,’ she seethed. ‘If you had actually read the chapter, you would at least be of some use.’

‘You and I both know you could recite that chapter by heart,’ Darren whispered back heatedly. ‘If you don’t know what that poison is, then it wasn’t handled in the chapter. So, instead of dropping the question like a hot Watmel Berry, why don’t you actually try to solve the problem instead of running away with your tail between your legs?’

Minerva turned towards the jar and spat Embers so hot, it set the water boiling. ‘If you’re so bloody clever, why don’t you try to solve the problem? Or would that be overtaxing your simple little mind?’

If Darren didn’t know Leer after shooting Minerva a look like he did, he never would. He didn’t even say anything in reply; he just turned towards the third phial, sniffed it after a while, and then continued to look at it.

‘What’s the matter? Liepard got your tongue?’

‘You don’t like being bothered while you’re thinking, so show some decency and do the same.’

The Vulpix turned her nose up, but remained silent. Several times, she looked like she wanted to say something, but each time, Darren checked her with a glance. Usually, she would then spit more embers at the jar.

‘You’re gonna turn that root into mush if you continue like that,’ Tyler cautiously commented after the latest fire-breathing.

‘Why don’t you just–’

‘Thank you, Tyler. She’ll be sure to keep that in mind.’

The Axew happily left the pair alone, leaving Darren the sole recipient of Minerva’s displeasure.

‘You have half an hour left,’ she announced, removing the soggy Energy Root from the jar and chucking it onto a plate beside the crushed Berries. She then proceeded to ignore Darren completely and added the Big Root pieces and Mago juice to the infusion, afterwards stirring it and pouring some of the antidote over into a flask.

Meanwhile, Darren had left the bench and returned with an assortment of ingredients. Only after he was halfway through smashing two Rowap and Jaboca Berries together did she speak.

‘What are you doing?’

‘Turning these four Berries into a paste, obviously.’

Obviously. Why?’

‘It’s part of the antidote for Perilous Soup.’

Minerva scoffed. ‘What? Don’t be ridiculous. That’s poison so rare, you’d only have a one in–’

‘Three thousand and fifty five chance of encountering it, as of last year. I may not be as smart as you are, but I do know a few things, at least.’

‘Like what the statistics of encountering Perilous Soup are and how to create the antidote? I smell a Rattata…’

‘You can be glad Jacques is in the other class. And yes, I do know what those are and how to make it. I may not have read chapter seven, but I did read some of the later chapters, specifically the ones that deal with rare potions, poisons, ingredients, etc.’

‘And what makes you say this is Perilous Soup?’

‘Besides that Miss Antoinette throws us into the deep water at times, I’ve combined a Maranga and Kee Berry in an experiment once, just to see what they produce.’

‘Meaning you actually wanted to see if you could create a Perilous Soup yourself, but you had neither the money to buy the ingredients, nor the experience to make it.’

‘The point is,’ Darren persisted, ignoring the remark, ‘I eventually recognised that sickly sweet smell.’

‘You’re sure you know how to make the antidote?’

‘Yes, and it’s really easy to make, actually. The ingredients are just rare.’

Minerva pursed her lips and looked aay. She wore that same expression for about thirty seconds before slowly turning back and asking, ‘So… is there anything I can do?’

Darren smirked. She was obviously not used to being outperformed in one of her best subjects.

‘Yes, Minerva: you can fetch me,’ Darren shot a look to his right to ensure Tyler wasn’t eavesdropping, but lowered his voice anyway, ‘a clump of Luminous Moss and a phial of Mystic Water.’

‘If you’re right, and you better be, that would explain why I’ve never seen Mystic Water in the cabinet before.’

A few seconds later, she was back, but with none of the reagents. ‘Well? Where are they?’

‘Relax, they’re here,’ the Vulpix reassured him, revealing the moss and water from among her tails, ‘I just didn’t want anyone to see what I was fetching. Malcolm was eyeing me all the way there and back.’

‘Smart. All right, just let the Moss absorb the Water, and then gently roll it around in the paste. Then, we’ll be done.’

Minerva carefully did as instructed, frowning all the while. What felt like a century of anxiety and nervous looks later, Miss Antoinette announced that their time was up and inspected everyone’s results.

‘I am pleased to see that everyone got the Black Sludge antidote right – even Duncan – and that most of you produced the Tri-Toxin antidote as well! However, let us give Darren and Minerva the full applause they deserve for creating all the correct antidotes!’

‘I… I was actually right,’ Darren mumbled, giddy with relief.

Minerva drank in the impressed and reluctant applause. ‘Today, you proved to be the best A&N partner I could have chosen,’ she said, apparently over her earlier hostility and suspicion. ‘Well done.’

When Darren left the class, his mood was brightened even further when Aiden congratulated him personally. However, Tyler just had to throw the Petaya Berry against the Rotom-Fan, albeit unintentionally, by asking what their next subject was.

The answer? Reproduction & Hatching. They would have to endure another never-ending lesson with her - the Wicked Watchdog of the West.

Mrs Williams.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:06 am
EnderFlash wrote a review...

orz I'm last again.

I need to bump Buggie's first note so badly. I was actually getting kinda irritated with Darren right there, since he jumped way to quickly to conclusions, even for an argument. It wasn't even an argument at first. Minerva just said that she doesn't care for compliments, and then Darren accuses her of giving up. WTF? She even says that she was currently trying to analyze the antidote. I did read your explanation, but it doesn't quite make it better for me :/ Too much escalation, too little time. It really bothers me.

Impressions and Comments!

1. That 'argument' now has me slightly disliking Darren. He's the one that seems touchy, not Minerva.

2. Oh, Darren. Reading ahead but not reading your lesson? Priorities, dear, priorities.

... And that's it. Sorry, the interactions between Darren and Minerva just snatched my attention away from anything else. See ya next chapter!

BrumalHunter says...

Last but not least, eh? ;)

Notes:
1. Duly noted. However, and this might seem strange to you, I'm actually quite excited that you are annoyed with Darren. If I can get readers to both like and dislike the MC when appropriate, it would not only would be extremely useful for characterisation (you know, to show that he, like any real person, has qualities you don't like), but it would also help me in creating more authentic characters. Fascinating, how such a simple comment can have far more value than expected...
2. I don't think he's the only one who does that, though. (I refer to people in general - I just work where we are, unless I'm interested.)

Not a problem at all. As you can see, your review was nevertheless invaluable.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:28 am
Ventomology wrote a review...

Review time!

Note 1: Leaps of Logic

Some leaps are just a bit too far for the reader, and this chapter had a fine example. How Darren reached the conclusion that Minerva was running away from the problem of poison no. 3 escapes me even after rereading the chapter a few times.

When we observe others, we make conscious conclusions about what they are feeling and why. For a character like Minerva though, who seems to keep her frustrations well-hidden, describing just her actions doesn't cut it. That's where the leap is. Darren's interpretation is just as crucial to the reader's understanding as Minerva's steely exterior itself.

Also, this piece is in third-person-limited from Darren's point of view, so no excuses for ignoring his thoughts on the matter.

I understand you might have been rushing through this chapter on account of deadlines, but you may want to watch out for similar mistakes in the future.

Fun stuff!

1. Eww, romantic relationships. Why is Minerva even dating anyone if she looks on the idea with so much disdain?

2.

‘We’re fifteen going on sixteen,’
Not gonna lie; I immediately though of The Sound of Music.

3. Is Darren's interest in rare ingredients, potions, etcetera a plot point? There was so much time spent on this potion stuff that it'll be disappointing if this chapter doesn't foreshadow something.

Well... I suppose that's it for now. Ciao!
-Buggie

BrumalHunter says...

Yay, another review! You and Tort are spoiling me this weekend. ^_^

Note:
1. I may actually have neglected this quite badly, since I have no idea about what you're talking. *rereads* So, I still don't share your perception of that scene, which scares me; if you interpret it that way, others will too, and if I can't see things like that, I'm in trouble. I'll elaborate on his reaction, then: he is used to Minerva having a solution to any problem within seconds, so for her to be taking that long came as a surprise. She thought he was rubbing that she didn't know what poison was, in, which is why she snapped at him. After there, things just escalated. However, I should also mention that this is an argument, and often, those progress quite irrationally. Do you understand, or am I making no sense?

Impressions:
1. So she can say she has been in a romantic relationship before. If she wasn't, people would use her statement to Darren against her.
2. I've never watched the musical (yes, I know; my fellow music students gasped too), so I don't catch the reference.
3. There may or may not be a certain island that has many poisonous plants and Pokemon on it that Darren may or may not eventually want to explore...

Once again, thank you for your review! Your advice was as invaluable as ever.

Ventomology says...

You explanation does clear things up a bit, but I still think a bit of Darren's internal commentary would help. Besides, I'm sure he's sassier in his head, and that might be fun to read.

BrumalHunter says...

Ah, I see. Well, I'll keep that in mind, then.

TinkerTwaggy wrote a review...

Wha... Nobody else commented this? I'm actually first here? HAH! Well that's hilarious.

I. Impressions of the Shell Master!

1. Totally agree, though relationships are distractions that can be delt with, like most distractions that exist in this world, Minerva. And that includes romantic ones.
Heh. I'd really like to have a verbal joust with her. I'd do quite well.

2. Funny how I read this emotional mometn with cheerful music in the background. My MP3 really IS a lot like me XD

3. Well there ya go, Darren! Good luck showing her you know when to usethe knowledge you have. Also, Minerva's sassy shell's been slightly cracked. Interesting.

4. I enjoy the character development thrown in this chapter, following the previous one. Previous chapter was about a humorous development - and was rather fun - and this one is much more serious, which is quite interesting to witness as well. Mostly because you seem to be a boss at switching from emotionally serious to emotionally light-hearted.

6. MRS WILLIAMS!!!*Distant thunderbolt in the background*

II. Conclusion!

That was also a fun chapters, but for different reasons, which have been explained up there. Your writing's still masterfully enjoyable, and it definitely feels like we're in a class. No complains, negative critics nor typos detected - though don't take my word for it, I'm not native English either, after all. And I'm not the most efficient Grammar Nazi there is.

Ah! Dinner bell just rang. PERFECT TIMING! Now to catch up with Buggie and Ender's sides...

~Shell Master Tortwag~

BrumalHunter says...

It is, yes. Well done!

Impressions:
1. True, though in your case, you'd do well in a verbal joust with anybody.
2. MP3-players can be really random at times. (Most of the times, actually...)
3. Everybody has different facets to their personality, so Minerva should too. After all, I have plans for her.
4. I knew what I wanted to do potion-wise, but that fight literally just sprang up from nowhere. I have, by now, noticed how often arguments start because of petty little things, so I just went with it. But blame the characters - they are the ones who fought, I simply wrote it down. :$
5. Yeah, I created such anticipation for her, I just hope I can do it justice. Otherwise, I'll have egg on my face, and that's never fun.

Thank you for all your positive feedback! I tremendously appreciate all the effort you put into catching up, so expect the favour to be returned soon. :D

TinkerTwaggy says...

*feasts*

1. Eh. quite true. Thanks :3
2. Yes, but mine has my music in it, which increases the crazy/random factor of it by... about tenfold, lol. And the way it appears is really foreshadowingly creepy sometimes :O
3. Hence why I'm interested :3 Hmm... funny how we both have plans for major female characters in our stories. Though Kamikaz (yes that IS her nickname) is... not like Minerva at all, lol. J's actually the closest to Minerva, I think.
...You'll see what I mean when you'll read my chapters.
4. Always leave little holes in your plans so that intuition can get in there - though I assume you know that, it's quite important.
5. ...Egg on your face. Now that's a funny one.

Anytime, friend. It's been fun writting these, though for now I'll have to get back on Muster Heroes and CAMP, then I'll catch up with Buggie and Ender.

Oh you freakin' better, I'm itching to read those dissection sprees that are your reviews XD

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
— J.K. Rowling