The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Eight, Part Three - The End of a Very Long Exposition

by BrumalHunter

Miss Antoinette walked through the aisles, inspecting each vial, flask, and beaker and inquiring as to their creation. She reached them all too soon, and Darren felt apprehensive, for he had taken the time to scan the benches of his classmates. Nicole and Leslie had only a few, and Duncan (much to Miss Antoinette’s and the rest of the class’ surprise) had eight. Tyler and Aiden had fourteen, which the Axew and Growlithe noted with disappointment. Therefore, the only other table that posed any danger was Malcolm’s and Seamus’ – unfortunately, they appeared to have twenty potions.

His fears weren’t assuaged much when the Bellossom teacher spent about a quarter of the time at his and Minerva’s workbench that she had spent at the Venipede’s. She stood behind her desk and beamed at her pupils.

‘Even though only pair of you will receive the prize, I’d like you to give each other a round of applause for your hard work. Go on.’ After Tyler and Duncan clapped their hands (everyone else had to flap their wings or stomp on the floor), she continued, ‘I am impressed that everybody made a Colourful Shake and each of the Coloured Juices; it gives me hope that, even after you have graduated from school, you ought to retain at least elementary knowledge of the fascinating science that is Alchemy & Nutrition.

‘Now, a winner must be declared. Duncan, Leslie, and Nicole, you are all out of the standing, as you are probably aware. Aiden and Tyler, you place third, though you shouldn’t be disappointed with your work, since fourteen potions are still very good. That leaves Minerva and Darren, and Malcolm and Seamus. The first two are the only ones who created both the Rare and the Ultra Rare Soda, which is astounding. However, they had only sixteen, while Malcolm and Seamus had twenty. The winner should therefore be clear. However, the last two made a number of potions incorrectly.’

Darren heard Minerva catch her breath. Did they actually stand a chance?

‘Luckily for them, it was only three, so with seventeen potions, they are still our decisive winners. Malcolm, you may come forward and collect your pair’s reward. Let’s give them another round of applause!’

The class reluctantly did so, but no longer than was necessary. In fact, Malcolm’s smug smile discouraged the other students from congratulating him and his thug of a friend for more than about five seconds. Miss Antoinette pretended not to notice and handed the bug the chocolate.

‘We are done with alchemy for now, so from our next lesson onwards, we shall discuss grasses and their nutritional properties. You don’t have to read about the grains yet, but some general reading about grass won’t do any harm. Enjoy the rest of your day!’

Once outside, Darren found Aiden and Tyler waiting for him. Minerva nodded at them and walked away, quietly fuming.

‘I can’t believe Malcolm and Seamus actually won the chocolate,’ Tyler complained when they were out of earshot of the class and on their way to the school’s outdoor arena. ‘I mean, it’s not like he can’t afford to buy chocolate with his own money.’

‘He could live in a house made of chocolate, but he would still have participated to win the candy, if only to spite everyone else,’ Aiden said bitterly. ‘That’s the kind of person he is. Even if he doesn’t need something, he’ll acquire or keep it if it is of value to someone else, just so he can use it as leverage.’

‘Like father, like son,’ Tyler added.

‘Aren’t we being a little harsh?’ Darren asked. ‘I know Mr Donnelly isn’t the friendliest of mons, but I don’t think he’d raise his son that way.’

‘Come on, Darren,’ Tyler said, regarding the Electrike with a sceptical look, ‘do you actually believe Malcolm became how he is because he had nothing better to do? His parents are rich, and his father is stingy. That already provides a recipe for a spoiled brat, but most likely, it also results in someone who is greedy, or at least selfish.’

‘Malcolm’s mother and uncle are kind.’

‘Yes, and I suppose that means Mr Donnelly has some redeeming qualities, but from where I’m standing, it’s pretty darn difficult to see them. Compare him to his brother. Both Scolipedes and Yanmegas look intimidating, but Mr Riley Donnelly is really nice. That’s because he chooses to be nice, despite his appearance. In the same way, Mr Morvan Donnelly chooses to be curt and abrupt. If only Malcolm chose that too, but he takes it a step further.’

Darren sighed. ‘I suppose you’re right. Besides, Malcolm really is a nasty piece of work. I hope I don’t have to deal with him as an adult. If he’s horrible now, imagine him then.’ He shuddered involuntarily as he imagined their rival as a Scolipede, looking down at them from above.

‘Darren, we live in a village. By the time we reach adulthood, we’ll know everyone around here, and whether we like it or not, Malcolm will be here, except then he will run the general store. I hate to say it, but we’re stuck with him.’

***

Mea wrote a review...

Hey there. Back again, and this time I actually don't have too much to say, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I know this was written for LMS, but it's just so short (and nothing earth-shattering happens) that it's kind of hard to give a thorough review.

I'm going to assume that Malcolm's character has come up before and it's been thoroughly shown that he's a jerk, since nothing necessarily in this part shows that he is. Maybe, depending on what kind of jerk he is, you could have him gloat about winning? Just to rub it in.

I liked the little argument/commiserating between them about Malcolm and how he became such a jerk and what he's like as a character. It shows the other characters' biases and such quite well.

You have a couple lines of overly-formal/awkward-sounding dialogue. This was the main one I found:

Even if he doesn’t need something, he’ll acquire or keep it if it is of value to someone else, just so he can use it as leverage

It just doesn't roll off the tongue.

The only other thing I'll say is something I've noticed in most of your chapters - Pokemon are all sorts of animals and creatures, and I know you did nod to the fact that only Tyler and Duncan even have hands, but it would be nice if you could refer to their different shapes a bit more - liked saying they "padded" over, or rustled their wings, or whatever. Right now, they feel very much so human in their body language and such.

And that's pretty much all I've got for you! Good luck with the rest of this!

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:28 am
seeminglymeaningless wrote a review...

Heya Astral,

First off, I haven't read any of the previous chapters. This has not actually ever been a problem for me, but with this chapter I am utterly lost. It was a very, very strange thing to come in at this point. But just pretend I was a person in a book store who picked up your book and turned to this page.

That said, critique sandwich time.

1. What did I like about this piece?
> The strangeness of the class was appealing. I initially thought this was Harry Potter fan fiction. Then I went ahead and checked out Chapter 1 just to confirm - and it's a Pokemon fanfiction. I have legit never read a Pokemon fanfiction before, so... This was interesting. I totally missed the Growlithe name somehow. All the other names just sounded HP (like Seamus, Minerva). To be utterly honest, reading this made me feel like I was on a pleasant drug trip - science of alchemy and nutrition, rare sodas, bugs getting chocolate, properties of grass...

2. What specific points need improvement?
> This story is too strange without any back knowledge. Mainly because a lot of the information doesn't make sense. First, how she decides the winner. It was long and convoluted and also didn't really place any importance on the potions the students made. Instead the teacher should go through each group's highest scoring potions. Eg, "Fourteen potions of common quality, but well made - that's x amount of points for A&T's group"... or something. I just found her way of finding the winner not very clear. As a teacher, I am very clear about awarding grades, lest students get upset.

> I think this is a cop-out: "everyone else had to flap their wings or stomp on the floor". Instead you could have written about the Pokemon and how they dealt with this command. M&S could have done so smugly, for instance.

> The names of the potions :/

3. What are my concluding thoughts?
> This is a well written chapter. It's interesting to see the relationships between the Pokemon and how they feel about privilege and power in the village. For me, I found the idea of Pokemon having this level of intelligence as a little strange. How did they create a world where everything worked well for the majority? Pokemon don't have the same appendages, so what do the doors look like? How did they all work in the lab to make potions? It's all very strange to me.

Not my best review, but I hope it helped in some way.

All the best,
Jai

BrumalHunter says...

I understand how confused you must be, but nevertheless, thank you for saddling up anyway!

1. Though Minerva is a Roman name, all the others are English - save for Seamus, which is Gaelic - so it's not difficult to see how you could interpret it that way. I wasn't going for a surreal atmosphere, but for somebody who isn't a Pokemon fan, it may very well seem like they're hallucinating. XD

2.1. Oh, this is a result of jumping into a novel at a random point, I'm afraid. In the previous two parts of the chapter (I divide them into parts to make them more manageable and less daunting), the teacher specified that the winning pair is the one that creates the most potions, regardless of how difficult it is to make them. Said parts described the protagonist's potion-brewing in detail, so that's why it isn't present here.

2.2. I understand what you mean, but of the nine students, only two have hands - five of the others are quadrupedal, the one is a centipede as large as a medium-sized dog, and the last one is a bird - which is why I described the actions as such. I think it would have been more confusing if I had omitted that, because how are canines supposed to clap hands?

2.3. I protest my innocence here - those are the actual names by which the items are known in-game, so the Pokemon Company has to take full blame/credit for that.

3. This is specifically a PMD (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) fanfiction, which is a spin-off of the main series in which only Pokemon inhabit the world. As such, the foundation of their society was laid in the same way. For example, the many Fighting types would be the construction workers, the Electric types act as power sources (the protagonist's mother actually fulfills that role), etc. It's quite enjoyable answering questions such as yours. It's a pity I haven't reached the point in the novel where I can describe those, though.

Once again, thank you for your time! Novels will always be tremendously difficult to review if you don't start from the beginning, but at least you had the courage to try. ^_^

PS: Whoa, I almost clicked Post Reply, which would have been a Ghastly (pun intended, though I doubt you'll catch it - sorry) mistake. You see, the diacritic on the "e" of "Pokemon" causes any responses made to reviews to be erased. I have had to rewrite a response numerous times already, so I am mightily pleased I caught myself in time.

I'm actually a super Pokemon fan :) I have a plush Pikachu on my bed (which has survived since I was in 6th grade), three small sized ones on my bookcase, used to play Pokemon Yellow on a floppy disk and was bought a Nintendo DS and Pokemon X for my birthday two years ago.

So I got your Ghastly joke ;)

As I did say earlier, I've never read Pokemon fanfiction before, so the idea of Pokemon having the ability to work together without the trainer to prompt them was understandingly strange to me. PMD sounds very interesting; chatting with a friend just now has informed me (and pretty much blew my mind) that PMD is a legit game and is highly praised for it's story. Alllrighty then. I apologise for coming in completely and utterly unaware of something like this existing. I guess I'm not a big a fan of Pokemon as I thought. To me it all seems a little... Farfetch'd.

Thanks for explaining it all to me. You must have facepalm'd a little when you read my review :P

BrumalHunter says...

Oh, so you are a fan! (Nice pun. XD) I haven't played PMD yet, but yes, I've heard that its plot is very well-developed. But I don't mind explaining at all; it would be unfair to be impatient with someone simply because they are ignorant. I'd say we have a responsibility to inform the ignorant. But please, do ask if you have more questions. ;)

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence