Falling Feathers-Prologue

by ArtycFrost

Macy stood on the edge of the cracked granite top of the grave staring at the shattered gravestone. The grave was of her sister Tess. Beside Tess, grave being in same state of disrepair, was her brother, Kaleb, who also died that same night with her sister in a car accident involving them. Macy had decided to stay home that night with their parents while Tess and Kaleb were to drive out and see the grandparents who managed a farm in the country outside of the city about a two hour drive away. Macy was devastated to hear the news of the tragic accident involving her siblings. A speeding drunk driver came across an intersection as Tess drove across. The impact contacted with the passenger side killing Kaleb almost immediately. Tess had been taken to the nearby Memorial Hopes hospital where she died a few hours later. Macy had looked up to her sister with all her heart she had. But here she stood in front of their graves almost 25 years later. After all that she had done, all those lives she had taken from the innocent and the criminal alike, she fell to her knees as tears streamed down her face.

"Where did I go wrong Tess? ...Why did I go wrong in the head..?..." She dusted off the granite with the jacket she rarely took off that had hidden the years of her work. Her scars were part of the unforgettable as the lightly crisscrossed and dotted her bare arms. She set it down beside her. She had worn a vest underneath the jacketed armor that bore the insignia of the company she used to represent with a passion but that passion is long gone.

The area around her was in ruins. Most of the buildings were skeletons of their previous selves. Most had trees growing thru them as well as grass in patches where buildings were. The pavement was fractured with the grass and roots that broke its faded black surface. Only one other presence roamed that long forgotten city looking for the one other soul that sat still in an over grown graveyard. The lone traveler could see the ghost of the past panic that ravaged the bustling city. Occasionally there would be a skeleton of a creature lying beside a road or in a rusted car. Whatever that was wood would have been charred or not there as the winds and rain wore it absent from existence. Cassandra Silverton was her name. She had started Macy's descent when she first heard of Anima. Now here she is, having received a letter to meet the girl here. Cassie wasn't one to play around with when it came to the sanctity of humanity. She and Macy had a history once a long time ago. What did it mean now?

The wolf anthro had probably wandered thru most of the city giving time to Macy before coming up behind her in the graveyard by Macy's last request. "You know... I really messed up what I had...." She didn't bother looking behind her hearing the soft crunch of the leaves that littered the ground. She knew it was Cassie. She was the only one that knew where she would be.

"After what...Last time I saw you was when you took down my last hope.. I tried to make it better. Bah!... What is it to me now....?" Her tail twitched as she had small flashbacks of their last run in. Cassie had destroyed her then. She tore her hope apart at ever having anything better despite Cassie's attempts at helping Macy get better. She ran her fingers thru her long and loose hair that flowed over her back,

"You know what you read in that letter..,I'm not going to bother saying it. You have me at my weakest. I have nothing left. I don't even have your trust anymore. It's your choice if you want me to live..or die..." Her heart beat at a slow pace. She had a lot on her mind. So much pain and misery she cause for those who survived their experience at Anima, Techni, or Seta. She just wanted it gone. Most had forgiven her with Cassie's help, but she couldn't forgive her own soul. She was an abomination to herself and to the world. She waited patiently for Cassie's reply.

Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:25 am

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: This was a really interesting little piece right here...there's seems to be so much going on here that we don't immediately know about and I love to see that at the start of a story. The premise here also seems pretty neat.

Wow...that is a very heavy opening paragraph there...almost a bit too heavy I have to say, you go into the description of where she is, why she's there, and then here life and why she's here at the moment, and just its a bit of an overload of information there for a first chapter to be having. You need to look into potentially breaking this up into a few much smaller parts or even just mention the essentials like the fact this is her sister's grave and then continuing the rest of the scene from there while sprinkling in the other facts in later parts of the work.

Well it looks like she was part of some kind of organization responsible for taking many lives somehow and our main character here was once a passionate supporter of them but now believes differently. That's certainly a very interesting premise right there.

Okay...well that was a very vague and mysterious paragraph right there, and I absolutely love that, those are always a loot of fun to run into at the start of a story because they let you know that this is something with some pretty deep worldbuilding and I love that. At any rate, this whole things sounds pretty cool so far, and I am very intrigued by who this might be.

Okay....so it's very clear by now that these two know each other and we've got them just casually meeting in the middle of a graveyard here...I have a feeling this conversation to come is going to be rather important. At any rate, this was a nice way to introduce Cassie here...Macy's introduction is the one that needs a bit of streamlining.

"After what...Last time I saw you was when you took down my last hope.. I tried to make it better. Bah!... What is it to me now....?" Her tail twitched as she had small flashbacks of their last run in. Cassie had destroyed her then. She tore her hope apart at ever having anything better despite Cassie's attempts at helping Macy get better. She ran her fingers thru her long and loose hair that flowed over her back.

Okay...well that almost sounds like these two did not have a very good last encounter and this Cassie person ended up doing something that doesn't sound like a very nice thing at all there.

Hmm...well that is a very neat little cliffhanger to end things on there....now its starting to sound like Macy was the one that did the horrible thing to lead to a breaking of trust and the reason she's here is to accept some sort of pretty bad sounding fate here, having lost her will to love almost by the sound of things...well, this certainly leaves the reading wanting to find out more.

Overall: Overall this made for a pretty interesting read. It definitely manages to make you want to read on more here. Anyways, that's about all I've gotta say for now. :D

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:03 am
Squall wrote a review...

Hey there.

So when I first started reading this, I thought it was going alright. But about half way through the story, I've started seeing some strange things.

Occasionally there would be a skeleton of a creature lying beside a road or in a rusted car.

When I saw that bit, I was thinking "Is this taking place in a dystopian society?" What kind of civil community would leave animal remains like that?

Then came this bit.

The wolf anthro had probably wandered thru most of the city giving time to Macy before coming up behind her in the graveyard by Macy's last request.

That's when I was really confused about your world. What's a wolf anthro? Is there something out of the ordinary about your world? This isn't really clear, because a lot of it was focused on the protagonist's background and description of the surroundings (more on that later)

Now, I think there seems to be a disconnect here in your piece. You have two main ideas here, the protagonist reminiscing about her dead friend and meeting this girl. The problem is I don't see how those two connect. Is there some relationship between those two that I'm not seeing? There has to be a compelling reason as to why the protagonist would want to visit the grave of someone important to them 20+ years later. I have a feeling this girl the protagonist is meeting holds the reason why, but you need to lay that down.

Lastly, although you did show the dreary and desolate aspect of the environment, I find the piece has a very monotone feel it (kind of grey like). I think it's because you aren't showing exactly where this graveyard is situated (is it in some town or in the middle of nowhere). Try to add more variety to your descriptions, don't just focus only on the desolate and dreary nature of the graveyard. I want to know more importantly is how this graveyard interacts with the community (e.g: do people come here often to relax or do they find the place so creepy that they avoid it).

Overall though, you have potential. You have a good sense of flow structure, and it's fairly easy to read. You just need to work on making your piece more believable to the reader.

Andy.

Justlittleoleme says...

Hey there!

Let start off by saying that I really enjoyed reading this BUT it could have been a lot better!

The first thing you need to do is tackle the format of this. Break it down into paragraphs that are discernible from each other. Readers need breaks like that to collect their thoughts and properly absorb what they just read. Just having a wall of text like this can be a little imposing to some and annoying to others.

Secondly, try not to use the same word multiple times so that your sentences flow better, for example:

" Prowl had decided to stay home that night with their parents while Tess and Kaleb were to drive out and see the grandparents who managed a farm in the country outside of the city about a two hour drive away. Macy was devastated to hear the news of the tragic accident involving the two and a drunk driver. The two were killed on impact."

If you look closely you can see that you used the word two, three separate times. Try to avoid that because it can grate on the readers nerves and hurts the flow. Another thing that can hurt flow is unnecessary information. I know it can be hard to pick and choose what you want to tell your readers but less is always more when it comes to writing.

Here is my horrible attempt at polishing it up a bit:

"Prowl had decided to stay home that night with their parents while Tess and Kaleb were to drive out and see the grandparents outside of the city. Prowl had been devastated when she heard news of the tragic accident that had taken her siblings lives. There had been a drunk driver, a curve in the road, the impact had been enough to kill them instantly. They hadn't even had a chance."

...Well, like I said, not much better >.< but I did manage smooth out some of the rough places and fix the repetitive words I think.

OH! One last thing. Try to find some way transitioning between the name Prowl and Macy instead of just abruptly switching between the two. It caught me off guard for a split second. I almost thought Macy was her mother or another sibling. o.o

Anyway, fix these small format and flow issues and you will be good to go. Really interesting story so far, I can't wait to see what you write next! :)

ArtycFrost says...

I see your point now on how it would be grating to see a word multiple times within a few sentences. I didn't realize. Also I don't understand how to put the spaces in between it yet.. This was my first post here. And I'm glad someone likes it so far :)

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison