Days like these

by Arthy

Please give a review, your opinion is very much appreciated.

I love days like these,

Days when your easy smile warms every second of my life.

Its magic, how the simple stretch of your lips,

Sends a warmth I can never recover from.

How the fleeting touches to my skin,

Ends up with me being thirsty of you.

How weird it is,

To see the me that was so broken before,

Smiling to you, like I have never been shattered.

How lovely it is,

To know that somewhere in the future,

The broken child that I was in the past,

Met this beautiful goddess of a love.

I am scared,

Honestly, as much as I love the sight of you,

I also fear you.

My life story,

Told me to stay away from you,

For that love will destroy me.

But how can I?

I am too deeply in love,

With someone who makes me want to live.

I would never die for you,

Because I want to live for you,

And that, speaks more volume.

For this life,

For this soul,

I wager my trust on you who I love too deeply to be saved.

kostia wrote a review...

Hello Arthy!
I m Kostia and I will give you a review for your poem.

First of all I think it's obvious that this is a love poem, a very sweet one in fact. I enjoyed reading it.

Now to the technical stuff. I noticed your poem did not rhyme which is okay. However the fact that it doesn't rhyme doesn't mean it shouldn't contain stanzas. It's a quite big poem and I would highly recommend to divide it into stanzas so it is easier and more enjoyable to read.

A few more recommendations I have for you that I believe would make your poem better:
In the following verses which were also some of my favorite in your poem

How weird it is,

How lovely it is,

To know that somewhere in the future,

Met this beautiful goddess of a love.

I love the element of repetition I think it fits very smoothly to the rest of the poem. However if I was you I would make it a bit more brief and I would may alter the wording a little bit. For instance instead of saying "How weird it is" and "How lovely it is" I would say "How peculiar" and "How lovely" it sounds better to me. Moreover "goddess of a love" I think you should remove the "a" it seemed weird to me I think that "goddess of love" would sound better although that's only my opinion and you don't have to follow my suggestions.

Moreover the last verse could be divided into two verses since I found it to be very long in comparison to the rest.
So instead of:
"I wager my trust on you who I love too deeply to be saved."
You could have it like that
"I wager my trust on you
who I love too deeply to be saved."

Again that's only my opinion and I m pretty sure that when you make the stanzas the poem will be entirely different (in a good way). However I liked the way you closed your poem.

In general your poem uses very simple wording and there are a few things you need to work on the structure in order to make it better. It is heartfelt and honest and as I previously said very sweet.

Keep it up!

iamanaspiringwriter wrote a review...

Hey there Arthur! I enjoyed reading your poem. I think it conveyed the feeling well. It made me feel peaceful and it gave me a sense of dazed happiness. After reading Aley's comment, I read the poem without the commas and read it as it naturally came to me, and it read much better when it was read naturally. Reading it out loud might be able to help you put punctuation where it fits. I also like that you made the reader curious about who the speaker is in love with, with "my life story told me to stay away from you". That made me wonder who this person is and why the two people supposedly "shouldn't" love each other. Overall I liked your poem. The feeling and the first 5 lines are what stood out to me. The first 5 lines stood out as particularly beautiful :).

Nice job. I think if you keep workimg on this it could have that extra special touch. Have a fun day/night!

Aley wrote a review...

Hey Arthy,

I'm Aley and I thought I'd just stop by to say Welcome! We're really glad to have you here on YWS and if you haven't gotten a moment yet, please go introduce yourself! We'd love to know more about you. But onto the reviewing stuff. First off, I'd like to explain.

Here on YWS we have a Critiquing Sandwich which helps keep all of our reviews well rounded and lengthy enough to help. I'll be reviewing your poem with that style so that you can get a feel for it and I'll be labeling what I'm doing where. Usually we don't put in the headers I'll be using. Usually it's just talking to the author about their poem. That being said, here's the guide I'll be using to show you the Critiquing Sandwich. The YWS Critique Sandwich

Top Bun: What I liked.

I really loved the voice you have in this poem. After the second act, basically, you really seemed to open up the speaker and that made it a very honest feeling poem, which is perfect! I think that it was the line "I am scared" which actually turned the poem around for me. Before that point it seemed like a lot of gushing about the person, but after that point, it showed the duality of the feelings and created more of a person. After all, we wouldn't know what relief was without pain to be relieved from.

Meat: What needs improvement.

You really need to work on the commas. Honestly, that's the biggest thing holding this poem back. Stop stopping DX. There are so many beautiful lines and phrases in here, but you're cutting them short with commas. When you're reading poetry you read through the line and into the next one until there is a comma. There's no need to have this many commas. Actually, there's really no need for any punctuation at all, but we like it because it helps us read along. I would strongly STRONGLY suggest you take out a good 90% of the commas in this poem. You could get away with taking out all of them, but I think you might feel like the poem is nude if you did that since it is so heavily laid with them. At the very least, get rid of all of the commas that wouldn't make sense if this was a paragraph. In fact, I can show you that.

I love days like these, Days when your easy smile warms every second of my life. Its magic, how the simple stretch of your lips, Sends a warmth I can never recover from. How the fleeting touches to my skin, Ends up with me being thirsty of you. How weird it is, To see the me that was so broken before, Smiling to you, like I have never been shattered. How lovely it is, To know that somewhere in the future, The broken child that I was in the past, Met this beautiful goddess of a love. I am scared, Honestly, as much as I love the sight of you, I also fear you. My life story, Told me to stay away from you, For that love will destroy me. But how can I? I am too deeply in love, With someone who makes me want to live. I would never die for you, Because I want to live for you, And that, speaks more volume. For this life, For this soul, I wager my trust on you who I love too deeply to be saved.

That is your poem.

If we make this punctuated according to a paragraph, it becomes:

I love days like these. Days when your easy smile warms every second of my life. It's magic how the simple stretch of your lips sends a warmth I can never recover from. How the fleeting touches to my skin ends up with me being thirsty of you. How weird it is to see the me that was so broken before smiling to you like I have never been shattered. How lovely it is to know that somewhere in the future, the broken child that I was in the past met this beautiful goddess of a love. I am scared, honestly. As much as I love the sight of you, I also fear you. My life story told me to stay away from you for that love will destroy me. But how can I? I am too deeply in love with someone who makes me want to live. I would never die for you because I want to live for you, And that speaks more volume. For this life, For this soul, I wager my trust on you who I love too deeply to be saved.

I think you can see that there are some spots which need some help and attention, but for the most part, it comes off as a very honest poem and I like that part of the poem. The more you aim for that feeling of honesty, the closer you're going to get to a poem that is unique to just you, and no one else.

Now, if you're new to poetry you might feel like you can't punctuate like that because it's a rule of poetry or it doesn't look like a poem if it's not punctuated like that, but those rules of poetry have been gone for a long time. There's no need to feel constrained by punctuation and capitalization. That being said, you do have to choose a method to use.

I wrote a guide to help people with punctuation and capitalization in poetry on YWS. They explain the different options you have.

Punctuation in Poetry
Capitalization in Poetry

Lower Bun: Conclusion

All in all, I like the feeling you have in this poem. I like how honest it becomes at the end and I want more of that. I feel like the poem itself is mostly held back by the punctuation choice you have made for this poem, and if you get rid of that, and punctuate it according to sentence punctuation, you're going to end up with an easier poem to read and a much better poem. You have a couple spots in here that need attention regardless of that, but this will make the biggest improvement with the least amount of work since I already did it for you, you just have to put in the line breaks again.

Hopefully this helps!
See you around
- Aley

Arthy says...

Hey there! Thanks for the review. I'm glad you like it, I was trying to be as honest as I can be with the feelings when writing. Thank you so much for dropping by.

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss