z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

The Amber Balance -Chapter 9

by ArtOfSilence


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Note: I've revised some things in chapter 8. The only thing you need to be aware of if you read the older version is that Bast no longer removes Alison's chains in that chapter.

Chapter 9

I was awoken by the breeze, cold despite the early morning sunlight filling the sky. Birdsong drew my eye to the canopy above and I was partially blinded by the reflections coming off the metallic leaves. Blinking to clear my vision, I sat up, extracting my limbs from the tangled mess of robes and chains. Compared to waking up yesterday I felt much better, less desolate and defeated, and more just lost and alone. Looking around at the glade through the ethereal light reflecting back up through the water from the silver roots was undoubtedly something I’d remember for the rest of my life.

I spent a minute taking it all in before Bast appeared out of the trees on the right side of the clearing with a bulging leather satchel over one shoulder. He strolled closer giving me a grin and a wave when he noticed me watching. I waved back halfheartedly as he approached, stopping on the bank of the poo around me and the great tree.

“Good morning!” he exclaimed with boisterous enthusiasm and giving me what I was coming to realised was his usual broad grin. “Sleep well I hope?”

“I’d sleep better if I wasn’t chained to a tree”, I gave him the best glare I could muster.

“I’m sure you would. As I said last night, I can’t take any risks”, he still looked vaguely chagrinned.

“I’ve been wondering, yesterday you said something about dreams. Care to elaborate?”, he changed the subject as he placed various wild roots and vegetables into a black iron pot hanging over the hearth.

I’d really been hoping he would forget about that.

“Just some stuff about everyone who died and the survivors. Dad.”

He raised an eyebrow pointedly, clearly not going to let it go.

“Stuff such as?”

“Such as leaving them behind, becoming one of the things that killed them.

“Sounds like survivors' guilt”, at my look he continued. “Asking yourself why you lived but not them? Everyone who survives such a tragedy faces it, from soldiers to simple townsfolk.” He shook his head. “It’s not your fault they didn’t survive and it’s not like you brought the wolves to your doorstep. As I said last night, you were caught in the middle of something you had no control over. These dreams are just you tormenting yourself. Trust me, I know.”

A shadow flitted across his eyes and I realised I didn’t really know anything about him. He just seemed so friendly... I'd been trusting him because I wanted –needed- to. I didn't have anyone and I had no idea what I was going to do, so when he'd appeared out of nowhere saying he wanted to help despite knowing what I was, I'd been more than willing to just accept him at face value. Or the human part of me had anyway. Narrowing my eyes, I tried to pierce him with my gaze.

"Why are you helping me anyway? I don't really know anything about you aside from that you're a strange man in the middle of the woods who claims to be a druid. What do you get out of this?"

His expression became a little sheepish.

"Can't I just want to help another living being? And I am a druid."

"No. There's more to it, I'm sure you're not telling me something."

He sighed. "I want to help you because you need help. Because none of this is your fault and you didn't deserve it."

I sensed there was more to it than that.

"And?"

"And the Druidic Circle is directly responsible for what's happened to you. It's our fault even if it is in the past. If you can be saved from the curse then it is my duty to do everything I can despite what the others would say.”

He seemed sincere. I relaxed.

"Fine, but you have to tell me more about yourself."

He nodded with a smile.

“What do you want to know?”

“How did you become a druid?”

He made a show of sitting on the bank, dangling his feet in the water.

“My dad was a travelling scholar, going out documenting the world as he saw it and getting by selling his services as a scribe to the nobility. He was away often but always sent money and my mother and I would work at the bakery, always up at dawn to start the day’s work before everyone else got up. We lived on the edge of a great elven forest far north of here in one of the Free Cities. While my dad was away one year he met and befriended a man, a druid named Tolvir, or uncle Tol as I came to know him.” His gaze drew distant and he smiled fondly in remembrance.

“He was a druid from the nearby forest, living in a small community. As time went on, he’d come check on us for my father and let us know how he was doing. I loved his visits. He’d teach me things about the world and our place in it, show me small magics and help when it was needed”, old sorrow filled his voice and his smile faded. “Like when my mother died.”

Looking up at the shining leaves above us, he took a deep breath before continuing.

“One day some men in chainmail, clearly still drunk from the night before stumbled into the bakery as my mother went in to start work. I wasn’t there. I’d taken the buckets home the night before so instead I went down to the well to get a jump on the day’s work. By the time I got there...” He grimaced. “You don’t need to hear how I found her, just know that she died and I was lost.”

“The owner of the bakery, a nice man who wouldn’t begrudge me a pastry every now and then kept me on to help but I couldn’t stand to be there, working where she died. I stayed home and grieved, crying myself to sleep every night until only a few days later the woman who owned our house showed up with some people. Since my mother had died and my father wasn’t around she was giving it to them for a few coins a day.”

“That’s horrible! How could anyone kick a child out onto the street?!”

He looked at me, a weathered kind of pain in his eyes.

“Some people, especially those in the city, have very different values. Gold is often worth more than a life there. I was twelve, not quite a child, but neither was I a young man.”

Bast’s gaze turned firmly to the fire.

“Suddenly, I was homeless, jobless and at that moment may as well have been an orphan. Tolvir saved me. I spent two days on the streets before he showed up. He went to our house and found someone else living there. Then he went to the bakery where he learned of my mother's death, but of course I hadn’t been back since so they didn’t know my whereabouts. Eventually he found me battered and bruised. Half-starved and trying to hide among some barrels out the back of the tannery. The smell kept most people away, including the other street children who hadn’t taken kindly to me sleeping on their turf.”

His eyes returned me across the table.

“He took me away, into the forest to live with him and the other druids. He informed my father of what had happened but I never saw him again.”

He’d had it just as bad as I had.

“I understand what it’s like to be lost and alone, but things do get better.” A ghost of his smile returned, never banished for long it seemed. “Just look at me now! Esteemed owner of a tiny cottage in the middle of the woods. How far I’ve come!” he threw his hands up into the air. “But seriously, if I learned anything from my past, it’s that things are never truly hopeless, no matter how much it seems so.”

I admired him in that moment. He’d been through some terrible times and still managed to put it all behind him. t gave me a little hope.

“After all that, I trained with Tolvir and he taught me far more than I’d ever dreamed of knowing. Eventually I became a druid like him and got my tattoo’s. While I’ve travelled around a bit since then, watching over the Greenrock woods is my first actual posting”. Bast looked both proud and sad as he mentioned that. “I’d have come to Glimmerdale eventually. I planned on visiting all the towns and villages bordering me here in the Greenrock Woods, but only got around to seeing a few, mostly those to the north and east so far.”

We sat in silence a moment as we both pondered his past.

“Anyway, enough getting side-tracked! We have things to do! Meditation to teach.”

Slipping into the water he began wading toward me much the same as he had the last two days.

I began panting as the tingling heat and increasing pressure that brought on the transformation built inside of me, only this time it wasn’t as powerful as the previous days. Stepping up onto the mound of roots serving as my tiny island, Bast sat, watching me carefully the entire time. While I still felt vulnerable, and was panting and flushed, I didn’t feel any of the urgency that usually accompanied his approach. It seemed my other half still didn’t know what to make of him, but no longer felt he was a major threat.

Following Bast’s example I sat.

“That didn’t seem as bad as yesterday.”

“It wasn’t.”

He gave me a smile.

“Progress is progress. Now, we’re not going to push things today. Instead we’re going to work on strengthening your focus. Cloe your eyes and we’ll start.”

He had me do the same thing as the day before, drawing the moment in and pushing everything else away. Examining it in the greatest detail I could and locking the picture and feel of it in my mind.

“Now make it more real. We don’t want a still image anymore, we want a living, breathing moment with birdsong, wind, light and life.”

Doing as he said, I added a wave to the grass in my mind, a flutter of wings in the canopy and even Bast himself sitting on the bank of the pool, dangling his feet in the water as he had been only a minute ago. As I added things others slipped to the side and vanished, Bast would be there but the grass wouldn’t move, or the cottage chimney spilled smoke into the air but the sunlight didn’t reflect off the pools surface.

I felt my brow furrow.

“Don’t worry if you can’t get it perfect. The point of this exercise is to improve your ability to focus, holding a full moment in your mind takes time, training and effort but we’ll get there.”

We continued this way until midday, when Bast went to make us some lunch.

He returned with still sizzling plates of roots and vegetables much the same as yesterday.

“Sorry we don’t have any meat. I’ve set more snares but no luck yet.”

“It’s fine. I’d have offered to help but, you know”, I jingled my chains.

We began eating but I had to ask a question that’d been plaguing me for a while now.

“Are you sure this will help me? I mean, it’s nice just to take in a peaceful moment, but I don’t really understand how this is supposed to help.”

Swallowing his mouthful, he replied, “There’s two reasons for what we’re doing. One is getting you to the point where you can truly hold a moment in your mind; a living thing, rather than just a static image. The other is for you the know this place and these moments intimately so you can return to them even when surrounded by chaos and confusion. In a way, you’re learning to use them as an anchor against your emotions and instincts when you feel they might overwhelm you.”

That kind of made sense. One other question sprang to mind.

“What did you mean when you said you’d help me ‘despite what the others would say’? Who are the others? Why wouldn’t they want you to help me?”

He sighed, looking down at his food.

“We were taught that were-creatures were to be killed on sight. That finding balance between their two halves never happened as inevitably there is some disconnect between them. Because of the disconnect they are unstable kill those around them, beginning a downward spiral where their human half loathes themselves while their wolf half feels just the opposite. Not only that, but some believed that even if one was to find balance they would lose it again eventually and we simply can’t risk spreading the curse. It’s our duty to prevent it, seemingly at all costs.”

When he put it like that, perhaps they were right to kill us.

“Don’t worry. I obviously don’t feel that way and you shouldn’t either! “

He must have read what I was thinking from my expression.

“Believing in the worst outcome just makes it come true.” His sincere belief in what he said was obvious as he spoke firmly and with passion. “Also I think the meditation is helping. Just the other day you were bouncing between rage and fear at a light breeze and you said yourself your struggle earlier wasn’t as bad as yesterday. Don’t lose faith in yourself just because someone else feels you’re a danger. The king might order the villages around his castle pillaged and burnt to the ground, but that’s not justification for taking his life. It is the person and what they do that matters, not what they might do.”

“You’re right, but I...what if they’re right. Even if I get through this who’s to say I won’t lose it later? I can’t help but be scared of what might happen.” Visions of me in Jaron’s place sauntered before my eyes and rage stirred within me. I’d never do the things he did.

“Alison calm down. Your eyes are starting to glow.”

I blinked. I hadn’t even noticed, the heat pooling behind my eyes had snuck up on me as if to emphasize my point.

“Sorry.”

“You're right to be scared, but don’t let the fear consume you. We’ll get past this. Give me your plate and we’ll get back to work.”

Sliding my plate over to him, he picked it up and placed it on top of his own beside him.

“This time we’re going to do something different. You’ve gotten very good at drawing in a moment already. Now I want you to focus on your instincts. What are they urging you to do? What does it feel like?”

Closing my eyes, I relaxed and turned my thoughts inward. At first, I felt only the same constant tingling heat in my veins and the pressure hiding within my bones. Focusing on the pressure I realised I could sense it building, growing ever so slowly even when at rest. Pushing my awareness into it I was surrounded by a familiar feeling, something I recognized deep down from all the times I’d shifted or been overrun by my newer instincts. It was myself, the other part of myself. I’d crossed the split in my soul. Now I was aware of it I could feel it inside me, a chasm separating two distinct parts...and it hurt. Each side reached out toward the other with jagged edges, scraping and gouging and I felt it all.

Snapping my eyes open I fell forward onto my hands covered in sweat and gasping for breath.

“Alison! What happened?!” Came Bast’s voice from nearby before swiftly being swallowed by the rushing of blood in my ears.

Deep pain welled up from inside. All I could do was pull myself into as tight a ball as possible, shuddering as what felt like blades stabbed at my insides. I heard frantic movement and the splashing of water but was unable to turn and look. Minutes or moments later, I couldn’t be sure, a new scent filled my nostrils washing across my mind like a wave. It didn’t help but it gave me something else to focus on than the pain.

Slowly the edge on the agony dulled. It grew more and more faint, as though gradually slipping back into the depths of my soul and I found myself lying on the smooth silver bark of the great tree for a third time, completely and utterly exhausted.

“Alison.”

Rolling my half open eyes toward him without moving my head, Bast stared back with his brow furrowed and lips in a grimace. He held a small wooden bowl spilling out powerfully sweet smoke.

“You’re back! Can you move?”

I tried to unravel myself but my arms barely responded.

He grew visibly more concerned at my lack of response. Conflict flittered across his face a moment before his expression grew firm. “I'm taking you inside.”

Placing the bowl at his feet, Bast drew a metal key from within his robes. Gently taking my left arm, I heard a sharp ‘snicht’ and the manacle fell free. Once he’d removed all of them, he slid his arms under my knees and back, lifting me to his chest. Carefully wading into the water, he carried me towards the open door of the cottage. I couldn’t help but groan as he jostled me stepping up onto the bank of the pool.

“Sorry.”

“-s’all right.” I mumbled, barely a whisper.

“What happened?” his head tilted closer to hear.

"-split...in soul.”

He turned a little paler at that, but it didn’t stop him from taking me inside and depositing me directly on a bed.

“I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere”, he rushed out of the room and I drifted into blackness.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:47 am
View Likes
niteowl wrote a review...



Well hello again ArtofSilence! Niteowl here to review.

First off, I'll say I read the revised Chapter 8, and I like it a lot better. Now let's get into this chapter.

Compared to waking up yesterday I felt much better, less desolate and defeated, and more just lost and alone. Looking around at the glade through the ethereal light reflecting back up through the water from the silver roots was undoubtedly something I’d remember for the rest of my life.


"lost and alone" doesn't seem to fit with "much better" to me. Possible rephrase: "I felt less desolate, but still lost and alone".

The last sentence here feels a little long and awkward. Perhaps "The ethereal light of the silver roots reflected by the water was something I'd remember for the rest of my life".

I waved back halfheartedly as he approached, stopping on the bank of the poo around me and the great tree.


While it is possible there's a pile of waste to deal with, I think you meant "pool".

I sort of agree with Mea about the placement of the backstory. I agree that all the details are perhaps not the most interesting and essential information at this point. But I do like that he has some hardship in his past and can identify with Alison's feeling of being lost and alone. It does sort of explain why he wants to help her. So maybe there's some way you can hint at this larger story without presenting it all at once like it is now.

Eventually I became a druid like him and got my tattoo’s. While I’ve travelled around a bit since then, watching over the Greenrock woods is my first actual posting”.


Tattoos doesn't need an apostrophe and I think Woods should be capitalized since it's a name and you capitalize it later on. Anyway, it's interesting that it's revealed that he's somewhat new to this being-a-druid thing. Up to this point, I'd been considering him as some sort of wise, all-knowing keeper of the forest. Heck, for some reason I was thinking he was immortal or something, but I think that was my own brain being weird rather than anything in the story itself.

“We were taught that were-creatures were to be killed on sight. That finding balance between their two halves never happened as inevitably there is some disconnect between them.


Once again, I agree with Mea that this is overexplained and doesn't need to be. One or two sentences would get the point across, especially since we've been exploring the idea of balance and the curse a lot in the previous chapters.

It was myself, the other part of myself. I’d crossed the split in my soul. Now I was aware of it I could feel it inside me, a chasm separating two distinct parts...and it hurt. Each side reached out toward the other with jagged edges, scraping and gouging and I felt it all.


This is really good, but I think it would be more powerful if it was its own paragraph.

Minutes or moments later, I couldn’t be sure, a new scent filled my nostrils washing across my mind like a wave. It didn’t help but it gave me something else to focus on other than the pain.


It's kind of strange that she mentions a scent but it's not clear what the scent is. Okay, I just re-read and realized it must be the smoke. Maybe there should be some vague descriptor of the scent here.

"-split...in soul.”



This wording is sort of specific, almost like she's echoing something she heard while her soul was splitting. Did she hear something? That may be worth exploring.

Overall, I think the soul-splitting was a good dramatic addition. Since we've had a couple chapters that were less action-heavy, I think this is good to bring a little more suspense and drama back in.

Keep writing and let me know when you post again! :D




ArtOfSilence says...


Hey niteowl.

Thanks for reviewing!


Compared to waking up yesterday I felt much better, less desolate and defeated, and more just lost and alone. Looking around at the glade through the ethereal light reflecting back up through the water from the silver roots was undoubtedly something I%u2019d remember for the rest of my life.


"lost and alone" doesn't seem to fit with "much better" to me. Possible rephrase: "I felt less desolate, but still lost and alone".


Yeah I see what you mean. I'll do as you suggest and rephrase things.


The last sentence here feels a little long and awkward. Perhaps "The ethereal light of the silver roots reflected by the water was something I'd remember for the rest of my life".


Yeah that description definitely needs some work. I've used 'through' twice in very quick succession as well. Your description could work. I just worry readers will get the idea the roots/tree actually glow themselves though. Trying to describe the light coming down, reflecting off the roots and then back up and through the water in one sentence is difficult but I just have such a clear mental picture of how cool it looks/would look.

What I mean to say is -You're right, it is a little long and awkward and I think I'm reaching too far. I'm going to simplify the description a bit.


I waved back halfheartedly as he approached, stopping on the bank of the poo around me and the great tree.


While it is possible there's a pile of waste to deal with, I think you meant "pool".


Hahaha! Thank you for pointing that out. I definitely mean 'pool'.


I sort of agree with Mea about the placement of the backstory. I agree that all the details are perhaps not the most interesting and essential information at this point. But I do like that he has some hardship in his past and can identify with Alison's feeling of being lost and alone. It does sort of explain why he wants to help her. So maybe there's some way you can hint at this larger story without presenting it all at once like it is now.


Yes after thinking about it a bit more I agree. I've moved things around a bit with the rewrite of chapters 7-11 and Bast's exposition here is one of them.
I'll leave just enough to reassure Ali, and let some of the events which happen later on reveal the rest.


Eventually I became a druid like him and got my tattoo%u2019s. While I%u2019ve travelled around a bit since then, watching over the Greenrock woods is my first actual posting%u201D.


Tattoos doesn't need an apostrophe and I think Woods should be capitalized since it's a name and you capitalize it later on. Anyway, it's interesting that it's revealed that he's somewhat new to this being-a-druid thing. Up to this point, I'd been considering him as some sort of wise, all-knowing keeper of the forest. Heck, for some reason I was thinking he was immortal or something, but I think that was my own brain being weird rather than anything in the story itself.


Thanks for pointing out the errors. I'll fix them.

As for Bast being kinda new to being a druid and it being a bit of a surprise, that's exactly what I was going for. Bast isn't supposed to be the 'wise old man/mentor living in the middle of the woods' as is usually seen with some obscure bit of information about how to solve every problem. While he is that in some ways in others he should turn preconceptions on their head a bit which should become more apparent as things progress.

He has a thirst for life and is young-ish but knowledgeable...and embroiled in more than he knows.

(1/2 Silly URI-too long thing!)



ArtOfSilence says...


%u201CWe were taught that were-creatures were to be killed on sight. That finding balance between their two halves never happened as inevitably there is some disconnect between them.

Once again, I agree with Mea that this is overexplained and doesn't need to be. One or two sentences would get the point across, especially since we've been exploring the idea of balance and the curse a lot in the previous chapters.


Always good to have collaborating feedback! As I said to Mea -Something I often think about when reading is how much credit the author gives the reader. How much space they allow the reader to come to their own conclusions.

This is one of the times I've clearly given the reader too little credit. I'll remove the second line at least. Hopefully this will help me find that line in future.


It was myself, the other part of myself. I%u2019d crossed the split in my soul. Now I was aware of it I could feel it inside me, a chasm separating two distinct parts...and it hurt. Each side reached out toward the other with jagged edges, scraping and gouging and I felt it all.


This is really good, but I think it would be more powerful if it was its own paragraph.


Thanks. You're right, a new paragraph would give it a bit more intensity and still flows naturally.


Minutes or moments later, I couldn%u2019t be sure, a new scent filled my nostrils washing across my mind like a wave. It didn%u2019t help but it gave me something else to focus on other than the pain.


It's kind of strange that she mentions a scent but it's not clear what the scent is. Okay, I just re-read and realized it must be the smoke. Maybe there should be some vague descriptor of the scent here.


I imagined it as as a powerful scent, like lavender, with an overlay of sugar or something sweet so I'll put something like that in.

Shortly after this there is ' He held a small wooden bowl spilling out powerfully sweet smoke.', but yeah, it is weird just mentioning a scent but not saying what it is.


"-split...in soul.%u201D


This wording is sort of specific, almost like she's echoing something she heard while her soul was splitting. Did she hear something? That may be worth exploring.


It wasn't my intention to have her hear anything, but it's an interesting idea. I mean, it was originally a goddess bestowed curse. It could even fit some parts of one overarching story; one of the ones which span not just this book but the entire series.

I don't think I'll pull on this thread quite yet. Perhaps I'll add something more, like a feeling, or even a presence. It might just be a little early for such foreshadowing. I need to think on this more.


Overall, I think the soul-splitting was a good dramatic addition. Since we've had a couple chapters that were less action-heavy, I think this is good to bring a little more suspense and drama back in.


I'm glad to hear that. There's a couple more chapters before things really heat up again and I'm worried these ones might lose interest. As I've said before, I find action the easiest to write, but everything in between I'm more unsure of.

Thanks again for reviewing! Really helpful, thoughtful critique.



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:11 pm
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm back to review this as usual, and I'm sorry to have kept you waiting so long. Life is crazy, and all that. :)

This chapter didn't have too many big twists or surprises, so let's dive right into it!

On Bast's Backstory
As always, I really like Bast as a character, but him telling his backstory could feel a lot more interesting than it did to me. Right now, it's a bit of a long story that's just told to us very straightforwardly, and if I'm honest it wasn't something I was dying to know about. It's interesting, but only mildly interesting, and I don't see why I need to know this about Bast at the moment. It doesn't answer any burning questions.

Instead, what I'd suggest is letting his backstory trickle out in bits and pieces. Maybe he starts telling the story, but then gets interrupted, or maybe he comes to something that he doesn't feel like talking about, and Alison will have to drag it out of him in a later scene. Anything to leave mystery, to build up more questions so that we as the reader really want the answers. Yes, this explains who he is and how he became a druid, but as the reader, I just accept him as already being a druid. Unless it's hinted that there's a reason the way he became a druid is important (and it doesn't feel like that at the moment), I don't really care how he became a druid. The most important part is that he's helping her because it's the druids' fault this happened to her in the first place.

Other
I liked the rest of the chapter better. I liked how Bast took Alison through the visualization exercise and explained why it's important, and I liked how you described the way it works.

In general, I think something you could work on is condensing Bast's dialogue. He says a lot of important, wise, or emotionally powerful things, but they all get lost in this long paragraph of dialogue because he explains things so much, and it dilutes the effect.

“We were taught that were-creatures were to be killed on sight.

For example, this part of the scene could be a lot more meaningful and dramatic if Bast left it at that, or just added one more sentence about it being because it's supposed to be impossible to reconcile the two halves. The short statement draws attention to itself and says a lot more than it does on the surface. We can guess what this means - Bast is going against their wishes, and what he's trying to do he's not even sure is possible. We don't need to be directly told this, though, and it's more powerful if we're not. People say a lot with very few words of dialogue.

I like that we end this chapter with a new problem arising - this strange soul splitting. The way you describe it is definitely chilling, and I think it really works that this is when Bast decides to unchain her. I definitely like that change.

And I think that's all I've got for you! Hopefully this wasn't too critique-heavy - it was still a good chapter. Looking forward to the next!




ArtOfSilence says...


Hey Mea!

I'm always happy to see you here. I make myself not check for a few days after posting to prevent myself from ending up checking every 5 minutes or so haha. So you never kept me waiting and you're the one helping me out here and never need apologise.

On Bast's Backstory
As always, I really like Bast as a character, but him telling his backstory could feel a lot more interesting than it did to me. Right now, it's a bit of a long story that's just told to us very straightforwardly, and if I'm honest it wasn't something I was dying to know about. It's interesting, but only mildly interesting, and I don't see why I need to know this about Bast at the moment. It doesn't answer any burning questions.

Instead, what I'd suggest is letting his backstory trickle out in bits and pieces.


It is a bit of a sudden info dump. Bast didn't originally speak much about his backstory until a bit later, and I think you're right that having it here makes it only mildly interesting rather than what it could be to a reader later on. I think I'll do things as you suggest and have just enough to reassure Alison but no more than that for the moment.

I've definitely moved things around a little too much trying to connect the last couple rewritten chapters to the ones coming up. Things didn't end up flowing as well as I had hoped and I moved a few things which seemed to fit.

Other
I liked the rest of the chapter better. I liked how Bast took Alison through the visualization exercise and explained why it's important, and I liked how you described the way it works.

In general, I think something you could work on is condensing Bast's dialogue. He says a lot of important, wise, or emotionally powerful things, but they all get lost in this long paragraph of dialogue because he explains things so much, and it dilutes the effect.


Thanks for pointing this out. Something I often think about when reading is how much credit the author gives the reader. How much space they allow the reader to come to their own conclusions. I really want to give readers that space because I think that's one of the major things that draws people into a story.

%u201CWe were taught that were-creatures were to be killed on sight.


For example, this part of the scene could be a lot more meaningful and dramatic if Bast left it at that, or just added one more sentence about it being because it's supposed to be impossible to reconcile the two halves. The short statement draws attention to itself and says a lot more than it does on the surface. We can guess what this means - Bast is going against their wishes, and what he's trying to do he's not even sure is possible. We don't need to be directly told this, though, and it's more powerful if we're not. People say a lot with very few words of dialogue.


A very good example. I'll work on it. Thanks!


I like that we end this chapter with a new problem arising - this strange soul splitting. The way you describe it is definitely chilling, and I think it really works that this is when Bast decides to unchain her. I definitely like that change.


Awesome! I debated with myself whether Bast removing the chains here made enough sense here and decided that as long as Bast acts appropriately in the next chapter that it would work and perhaps create a little tension.


And I think that's all I've got for you! Hopefully this wasn't too critique-heavy - it was still a good chapter. Looking forward to the next!


Thanks. All your critique's are helpful! The next chapter should be up later today or tomorrow. I've been meaning to read the second part of your 'Ship's Mechanic' as well. I promise I'll get around to it!




The bigger the issue, the smaller you write. Remember that. You don’t write about the horrors of war. No. You write about a kid’s burnt socks lying on the road. You pick the smallest manageable part of the big thing, and you work off the resonance.
— Richard Price