Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Horror

Violence

The Fourth Proxy: Prologue

by AriesBookworm

Weekly World Happenings Newspaper

IS SLENDERMAN REAL?

Slender spotted taking a young student from school

Today, the community has been left shaken after the disappearance of 13-year-old Anthea Mannings, usually called "Anne" for short. While taking a walk around the school with her class, witnesses claim that they saw a tall, mysterious, figure with no face emerge from the fog, grab Anne with a long black tentacle, and disappear with her. When the security cameras were checked, they found almost nothing but static. They managed to salvage one clip. This clip shows Anne looking wide-eyed at the woods with her friend, Sierra, standing next to her. A second later, the mysterious figure grabbed Anne, just as witnesses described, and the figure and Anne disappeared.

The figure has been identified as "Slenderman". An internet urban legend or "creepypasta". People are now asking the question: "Is Slenderman real? And if so, are other creepypastas real?"

*I do not own Slenderman nor any other creepypastas aside from Anthea.*

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 am

IS SLENDERMAN REAL?

Ooooh, we have the beginnings of yet another story here and I thought that I'd take a look at this one too. It seems that this is also going to be geared towards the more horrifying side of things although this is a slightly different kind of horror compared to the other stories.

This sort of news article format is a very interesting choice I think for a prologue and you use it nicely to give a general view of this sort of incident and quickly establish the mystery of this universe. The fact that it seems these creatures are still fiction in this universe until this incident where people start to question it does make for some nice mystery because this could very well just be a human who's pretending even though there does appear to be some abnormal effects surrounding this disappearance.

All in all, this is pretty short, but even then I think you do a very good job of quickly building up this incident and really hooking the reader's attention with the tone here and I think all in all, this makes for a very good prologue, I definitely find myself wanting to read more here.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:17 am
Horisun wrote a review...

Hello, and good evening! I hope you have had a nice day so far!
This was a really great start to whatever story you plan to tell. You've introduced multiple questions in one go, which makes me super interested to see what happens next. What happened to Anne? Is there something else going on? And, as this first page outright states, what other scary stories are real?
This, I thought, was your strongest point. I do perhaps wish it was a tad longer, or maybe you could have introduced us to a possible main cast? I was hoping to see their reaction to that. Was Anne their classmate? Are they involved somehow?
Even that, however, is a testament to how quickly you've got me invested in this story. I really look forward to seeing more works from you in the future!
Keep on writing, and have a fantastic day! :D

Thank you for your review.

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness