Home » Literary works » Art » Narrative

Am I Ever Enough?

by AriesBookworm

I’ve asked this question to myself for years now

I doubt I’ll ever ask it aloud

Why is nothing ever enough?

Even when I just want to make you proud?

Since I am human,

I tend to make mistakes

But I’m afraid of messing up

Your approval is always at stake

Some days I am onshore

Others I am nearly drowning

One day you are smiling at me

The next day you are frowning.

I did not come to you when I questioned my own existence

You simply assumed I was bubbly and fine

I do blame you for making these assumptions

The fault is truly mine

I looked you in the eye and claimed I was okay

I didn’t dare tell you the feelings I held inside

When I was out of your view I would tremble and shake

I refused all help even when you pried.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:52 am

The most beautiful thing about stumbling upon this website is finding writing which I can relate to, knowing that there are struggles I have that others also have. The most poignant message I took from this poem is the assumption (though it is untrue, as illustrated in your writing) that other's sudden changes are due to something you did "wrong", that perhaps you could've changed something if only you had done better. Thank you for your incredible writing!

You're welcome!

You're welcome!

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:56 pm
FireEyes wrote a review...

Hey Aries! Incoming review!

Ah existential poetry, my favourite. This was a great poem and I feel honoured to review it. With that said let me do some reviewing!

I'll start out with critiques.

The fault is truly mine
This part reminds me of when you're writing something and you save it as a draft for a few weeks and then come back to it with a completely different mindset to when you first wrote it. Maybe it's the flow of the first line that makes the lines feel off. It also might be the conciseness of the last line that gives the syllable count an unsettling contrast.

One thing that I do for poetry now is separate my poem into stanzas. For this one you can do it every four lines and it would be great. Because YWS is weird with spacing you can add a few of these bad boys "~~~" to separate your stanzas. It just makes everything easier to read.

I feel like a broken record always suggesting this to some beginners in poetry but auto-capitalization in poetry makes everything look very amateur. Just think, if there weren't any line breaks, would I have this word be capitalized in the sentence? If the answer is no make it lowercase. When I first did this it make my writing look like I knew what I was doing. Just a suggestion.

Now I shall praise your work.
Some days I am onshore

Others I am nearly drowning

One day you are smiling at me

The next day you are frowning.
This is my favourite stanza. The chopping and changing of other's emotions make you think you are the reason for their sudden mood change. And sometimes you think it's because you are struggling.

I also really like the rhyming structure you chose. I don't usually see poems that rhyme like you made it and have it turn out good. (I've tried it before and lets just say it wasn't my best work.) I commend you for that.

But that's all I have for today. I hope you found some of it useful. Keep on writing and I hope you see more from you in the future. Anyway byeeeeeeee <3

Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:06 pm
Col3 says...

This was so great! Really poetic. I enjoyed reading this, it describes so many people! I've probably reread this like 50 times so thank you for this great poem!

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter