Joyful

by Aries

I was breathing fast, my heart beat accelerated and jumped for joy. For once I was happy. After all this time people were finally seeing me. No one ever thought I could do this but they were wrong! A smile was plastered on my face and my eyes filled with only one emotion. Joy. The adrenaline was addicting. It excited me to see the fear in people's eyes as they beg for mercy. I laugh, nothing could satisfy my craving like this could. There screams were like beautiful music and the red that painted the walls was alluring. I loved it. Every second. 

Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:46 pm

Hmm...well this is rather short piece on what appears to be a bit of a feeling here. There's no real connection to anything else to suggest this could be a part of a short story or a novel or a prologue or anything else honestly. Its not even really a description, but it just seems like some sort of depiction of this one singular feeling that this one person is experiencing.

I think it really makes for a powerful piece here, because there are simply no other strings attached to this one, just a thing about the pure joy that this one person is experiencing and I think it really comes together very well to form a powerful moment that almost feels like this one second of thought frozen in time.

Overall, its such a simple piece here, but I think it does what it sets out to do really well and its just the sort of thing that leaves a smile on your face. I don't believe there's really anything more I can say about this one here either, since it really is just that simple as a story.

Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 am
lolosboing wrote a review...

I love how dark your short story was! But one thing I would do if I were you, is fix one of the words, "there" You said "there screams" I know it's a small mistake, but it would be nice if you could have the correct word. Instead of there, use their. In one part, "I laugh" The other parts use words like was. Meaning, it's in the past tense. You say, I laugh. Are you suddenly changing tenses for a reason? I really liked your story though and surprisingly, it made me happy. Usually, murder is a very solemn, cold thing. But, I felt pretty warm because of the way you described the murderer's feelings when they murdered people. It made me see a different side of murder. I look forward to reading more of your work and I hope my review helps!

RavenBlack wrote a review...

I loved the description, it allowed me to feel what they felt. I especially loved the line: "see the fear in people's eyes as they begged for mercy", it illustrated that this character loved the power that they felt, I would love to see more, maybe longer story where they go about killing their victim. However, remember to re-read your work because you 'there' instead of 'their'.

Saruka wrote a review...

I'm new to this whole thing, so you don't have to take any of my suggestions.

First off, AHHHHHHHHHH
That whole story was like an oxymoron (excited me to see the fear in people's eyes as they begged for mercy), but it was amazing. Can murder be a happy thing? It was absolutely, for lack of a better word, chilling. To show the side of someone finding such joy in taking others' lives.
But I also took it this way.
The narrator has no idea that what they're doing is wrong. They think it's music. Art. Excitement. Adrenaline. But they can't see what it really is.
12 sentences and you made me think, sending chills all over.
Thank you so much for reading this and I absolutely loved this text.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:38 am
RoseTulipLily wrote a review...

Aside from some mistakes that have already been pointed out by others such as "there" where there should be "their", I enjoyed this very brief story. Much like two sentence horror stories manage to send chills down the readers' spine in a few simple words and phrases, you manage to do the same here in just one paragraph. Just fix all the mistakes and it will be perfect. Keep writing. I'm definitely looking forward to see what else you write ;)

MeisterChan wrote a review...

Hey, Aries! It's ScytheMeister here for a quick review :D

First of all, I loved the concept of this!

"Can murder be a happy thing?"

The use of the rhetorical question was brilliant, but even more so what it stood for. I must say it worked well with the title, Joy.

However, does the extremity of the title really fit in with the story? I felt that the title and description was portraying something far more malice than what we received; there was a lack of detail: a backstory, a motive, an end game.

Also, the structure most definitely needs improvement. It was cramped together and I felt like it effected the flow of the story.

It should be separated into paragraphs. I'll write an example and include some suggestive changes.

I was breathing fast.

My heart beat was accelerating and jumping for joy. For once, I was happy because even after all this time, people were finally starting to notice the real me. No one ever thought I could do this but they were wrong!

A smile plastered on my face on my face, my eyes filled with that one emotion... Joy.

The adrenaline was addictive; their eyes filled with fear summoned the excitement within me. They're on their knees, begging for mercy. I laugh, nothing could satisfy my craving like this could.

Their screams were like beautiful music and the red that painted the walls was alluring. I loved it. Every second of it.

Furthermore, the I want to make an actual comment on the last line, rather than suggest a change.

There screams were like beautiful music and the red that painted the walls was aluring.

To begin with, "there" is wrong, it should be changed to "their".

Onto the matter at hand, the line is a major cliche in writing. It's practically a go-to for authors who fail to find that right ending. We always hear about splattered blood becoming paint and the screams of victims being ear-wrenching music, that's perfectly acceptable but you should portray it in a way unique to your story. Use the music as a method to thrill the audience; the keys of the piano blaring, Beethoven's classics a source for menace. Detail the movement of blood, the consistency.

Nonetheless, good work! I loved this :D I hope to read more like it

Keep Writing! <3

- ScytheMeister

Sujana wrote a review...

"Can murder be a happy thing?"

am i the only one who thought 'as long as im holding the gun'.

No, but really, I think it's a good question but one most people have answered personally for themselves--there's the camp that says "oh ew no" and then theres the camp that says "sometimes" and then theres the camp that says "honestly im so glad video games exist because then i can channel my monstrosity into a non consequential platform". I personally have no real gripe with any of these unless it actually gets somebody killed, because humans are just naturall nuanced and evil so you've come to expect it.

That being said, the topic of disturbing joy found in violent acts has been visited upon, and it's still interesting at least to me, but I don't know how interesting you can make it anymore to anybody who you're appealing to. You could be appealing to the new demon crowd, but the old demons aren't too impressed (sickeningly enough).

I say this a lot, but I think a way of making this text a little more interesting without adding any significant story (I know flash fiction and all that jazz) is by adding more poetry to the text, an actual description of the beauteous moment without flat out saying "it was beautiful" or "i was extremely happy". You already have a good example here:

There screams were like beautiful music and the red that painted the walls was alluring.

Although admittedly it's still very cliched. We've heard blood being compared to red paint and screams being compared to music, so you might as well take it up to eleven. Compare the screams to Bach or Vivaldi melodies. See the Francesco Goya on the walls, becoming more and more clear as the paint slowly dries. Make the entire scene into a museum trip, basically. The best advice I can give you (and really it's just advice) is to have as much fun with it as possible, and go as far as your imagination can go. Writing isn't exactly a safe game to play, so it's either go all in or go home.

A line that I didn't particularly like, but could see the potential:

No one ever thought I could do this but they were wrong!

It's the exclamation mark that does it for me, and maybe the plain delivery. The sentiment is really interesting, considering that most people don't expect people to go on a massacre, but I feel like you could've painted it in a more maddened, twisted way, maybe something along the lines of the victims begging and pleading and saying that the murderer "can be better" or "they have good in them" and then the murderer just laughing. Something more extravagant basically.

Well, that's all I have. Good luck and keep writing.

--Elliot.

Aries says...

Thank you for the advice Sacredledge. :)
This was something I wrote for my English class that I decided to publish on here, so understand why I didn't want to make it come off as to strong. I don't usually write passages like this but I decided to give it a try. In the future I will make sure and take you advice into consideration.

Sujana says...

Ah yeah, I figured. Don't take what I said to heart, then, it's fine. Still, I do think flash fiction can be very powerful given the right push, and a lot of the same principles work in short stories as well. Hope it helped

When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson