z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Soot and Slipper Review

by AnoCannotUserName


Just like the author says in her preface, I honestly didn’t think I needed another Cinderella retelling. However, this turned out to be something I loved to read. This Cinderella story about Eugenie and her seemingly kind stepmother Marielle has a twist and is unlike any other Cinderella story I have ever seen.

The author’s writing in this was amazing, is amazing! She creates a lot of suspense and tension that does good to the story. In some parts, it feels like you’re reading a suspense story rather than a fairytale romance. It’s a strange combination of genres but the author pulls it off very well.

(Spoiler) My favorite part of her writing was Marielle’s betrayal and overall sense of uneasiness she gives off. Even in the beginning when she was all nice, something felt off. I chalked it up to years of recognizing the stepmother being the villain in Cinderella and not being comfortable with the opposite but it turned out I was right.

For Eugenie, I think this tells a story of appearances deceive which is also kind of the whole point of Cinderella. She goes to a ball looking like a cultured noble woman or even royal when really she’s treated like a peasant in her own home. And even despite that treatment, she’s not actually a peasant, she’s the rightful heir and noble woman of the estate.

This theme is seen with Marielle and the fairy godmother also. Marielle, although seemingly kind and beautiful, is evil and tries to get rid of Eugenie. On the other hand, although in the world the author created fairies are dangerous, it’s Eugenie’s fairy godmother who ultimately ends up saving her life.

Overall, this was a very good and different Cinderella retelling than I’m quite used to. The author did a good job in mixing genres. Though, this does tend to lean toward romance more than suspense. The characters were well written and the twist was one I wouldn’t have seen coming even if it was standing right in front of me. This was certainly a Cinderella retelling I’m glad I read and very glad the author wrote. Thank you for your hard work.

Thank you for reading my review. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 2943
Reviews: 36

Donate
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:03 am
mememimer says...



Hi, time to review!

First of all, you could have started with a brief introduction of the story as without it, it becomes a bit confusing to the readers who haven't read the story.

"She creates a lot of suspense and tension that does good to the story. In some parts, it feels like you’re reading a suspense story rather than a fairytale romance." I think you could have given some examples to elaborate the buildup that you found interesting. Also, you could have added some incidences to make it more informative and clear.

I like that you emphasized on and could tell apart the differences between the clichéd story line and its retelling. You also brought out the "Never judge a book by its cover" in the line "...I think this tells a story of appearances deceive..." and in the fifth paragraph too. Although I haven't read the story, I did get an idea from your review.

Keep writing!

Best wishes,
I




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 2943
Reviews: 36

Donate
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:02 am
mememimer wrote a review...



Hi, time to review!

First of all, you could have started with a brief introduction of the story as without it, it becomes a bit confusing to the readers who haven't read the story.

"She creates a lot of suspense and tension that does good to the story. In some parts, it feels like you’re reading a suspense story rather than a fairytale romance." I think you could have given some examples to elaborate the buildup that you found interesting. Also, you could have added some incidences to make it more informative and clear.

I liked that you emphasized on and could tell apart the differences between the clichéd story line and its retelling. You also brought out the "Never judge a book by its cover" in the line "...I think this tells a story of appearances deceive..." and in the fifth paragraph too. Although I haven't read the story, I did get an idea from your review.

Keep writing!

Best wishes,
I
#TEAMTORTOISE




User avatar
142 Reviews


Points: 1992
Reviews: 142

Donate
Sun May 31, 2020 1:42 am
looseleaf wrote a review...



**My Thoughts**

What's up @AnoCannotUserName, I'm Lucy and and am here for my fifth review on this fine day. It seems as if @JesseWrites of the Aubergine Team already gave you a review, but don't worry, the Sage Green Team is here to give you one as well! ;)

**Storyline**

I don't know exactly what this is. It looks like a book review Of "Soot and Slipper", but you format it sort of like an essay. I have never read this story, so this is what I got from your review:

Eugenie lives with her OK stepmom Marielle. Turns out Marielle is not actually a good person and tries to get rid of Eugenie (love the name by the way). Her fairy godmother saves the day and she lives happily ever after.

I do like how you refer to it to a Cinderella story, which makes it easier to understand, which is awesome. But, it isn't "like" a Cinderella story, I think it is the Cinderella story, just with different names. This may not be the case though.

**Jumpiness**

Woo! First time I've ever covered this topic, but I think it was needed. You jump around quite a bit. You go from preface to writing to your favorite part to Eugene and etc, etc. You could organize this a tad better and go from the story to your favorite parts. Maybe preface, beginning of the story, end, plot, the moral, and your favorite part. To me, that would look and read better.

Also, this is just a small thing, but this is so basic:

Thank you for reading my review.

Instead, maybe do this:

"I appreciate you for reading this review. I had a blast writing this and hope this gave you some insight into 'Soot and Slipper.'"

Add a bit of pizazz! You definitely do not want to end on a boring note. Although your writing may have been great, but it leaves your readers bored and somewhat disappointed after they finish. :(

**Overview**

I liked this review! It was very well written, but not in a good order. Ended on a boring note.

Keep on writing and reviewing! Have a wonderful day! Image




User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3050
Reviews: 174

Donate
Sun May 31, 2020 12:27 am
JesseWrites wrote a review...



Hello,

I have never read this story, so I will judge it on informational factors I see.

Is It To The Point?

Hmm...
It is quite short and kind of fast, but I think I can imagine a plot. I see a bunch of jumps from idea to idea, so that can help a reader learn more interesting bits within the main of this.

Work on spacing out and that can give more of the things I've mentioned above. ^

Will I Read This?

Maybe. I saw a spoiler, so that kind of throws me off. It is possible that I'll order this book.

This review was brought to you by,
Team Aubergine Leader, Haley





What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor