Racism

by AlexNoelle

Racism

Human beings all share the same biological processes and anatomical structure. The basic anatomy is of humans is uniform, though every human has different characteristics, thoughts, and behaviors. But the belief that certain people groups are superior to others based on things like skin color and culture is ridiculous. Under the surface lies the same type of organs the same color blood and the same basic biology. Humans are born into different situations and are not born with equal opportunity, though we all are formed in the same way and come from the same place. Despite such uniformity, some people lack acknowledgment and respect for other human beings of a different race.

The idea that a certain race of people is better than the other defines the term 'racism'. 

Granted, there are variations physically and geographically, that separate people groups. But generally, that separation is mental. Humans separate themselves from one another because of their beliefs that certain people groups are superior, and others are inferior. This belief is damaging, and though not as prominent as it used to be, these beliefs still affect people in the modern world. A lot has changed since the 18th century. No one is treated like a slave anymore. The law is strict and abolished any acts of slavery a long time ago. Wages are now paid based on the work of an employee rather than the ethnicity. Although, we cannot deny that racism does persist in the modern world.

There is a large section of society that treats the immigrants from other countries as 'lesser humans'. Still, offensive slang and derogatory terms are used in hurtful ways against people of other races. Organizations that claim to be against racism even start up racist acts against people they feel deserve it. Racism is an ugly and unwarranted thing, and does not logically or scientifically make sense. There is no scientific evidence that shows certain people groups are born superior or inferior, there is only evidence that supports the opposite of that belief. So, there is no point in treating anyone with discrimination on the basis of physical traits. That kind of behavior is an insult to the human race, the race all humans are a part of.

All Humans are equal and all individuals deserve to be treated with equality.

“God does not show favoritism, but accepts from every nation the one who fears Him and does what is right.” Acts 10:35

This was an assignment for English class in school, all criticism is welcome! -Anne

A good topic, but I think you should explore some of the ideas a bit further and watch out for your reasoning.

Now to preface these critiques I'll say I totally agree with your overall statement and think that the impact paragraph is really nice. I do have some issue with some of the reasoning you use in this piece though, there's a few contradictions that need to be taken care of.

Let's take a closer look:

You say (paraphrasing) We shouldn't judge people by their skin color. Then a couple sentences later you give your reasoning. We shouldn't judge people by their skin color because we have the same blood color.... huh? Do you see the problem? Why would having the same blood color be a valid form of reasoning but skin color not be? We shouldn't judge people by the color of any of their bodily parts, because we're human.

You also say that we shouldn't judge people for having different cultures. And then you say a bit later that we all "come from the same place" well... that's not quite correct. People come from very different places in fact! And to not acknowledge that people have cultural differences is almost as bad as judging for their culture to begin with.

Another issue of inconsistency is at one point you say we're all the same anatomically -- which I'm not sure what "we" means in that instance, I mean men and women and children and adults have different bodies as well as people who are born with extra toes etc. Different people can have very different bodies, that doesn't make them lesser-humans of course! And then later you say that we are all different physically. So, there's a contradiction there. Are we all different, or are we all the same? The problem is, neither of those answers is sufficient -- but the essay should get at what the important similarities are - like shared humanity and dignity and ability.

There were a few other instance of this in the piece, so watch out for saying something and then later saying the opposite, because it doesn't come across as authoritative or convincing when that happens.

Also I would say to watch the blanket statements or vast generalizations if they aren't true. For instance at one point you say no one is treated like a slave anymore... well unfortunately that's just not true. Here's an article you can read for more information about that: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... d2f3c16aae Slavery might look a little different, but people are still bought and sold and forced to participate in unwanted labor, even sometimes in the United States.

Nicely done, ending on a Bible verse. Mark 12:31 and Genesis 1:27 are also great on this subject.

Now I think you've picked a super important topic! And I'd love to see you develop the themes you have here. Good luck!

alliyah

AlexNoelle says...

Thank you so much for the review! I found it very helpful. I will explain, however, that I was on a very tight time limit and was given only an hour to write the paper. I am in no way making excuses for mistakes made, I'm just explaining that I wouldn't normally have so many oversights or such a lack of fact-checking. And unfortunately, my source (a school textbook) had some really bad false facts. For example, (along with the ones that you saw in my paper that I failed to double-check) it said that slavery started in Europe in the 1600s, which is completely ridiculous. In future, I'll be more careful with my source material.

Also, some of the statements that seem to be contradictions or false facts aren't and I still stand by them, but they would appear well... just like you saw them, because I didn't explain enough, (due to the time limit probably). Like when I said "we all come from the same place" I didn't mean we're all from the same country or something, just that the human race had a starting point,and that whether you believe in creation or evolution, no one was born, or created "superior." Which I shouldn't have to be explaining now, I should've done so in the paper. It was a strangely worded blanket statement. Overall It was poorly worded. I will see what I can do. :) thx
-Anne

alliyah says...

Glad you found the review helpful! And thanks for the explanation, time crunches and false-facts get the best of all of us at one time or another. Just always keep writing and developing those skills you have, your ideas are good. And words are a powerful force in this world. :)

LeutnantSchweinehund wrote a review...

Ah, very nice. I'll say right away that my expectations were woefully low, mostly because of the topic. You know the drill, nowadays most essays about such things lack objectivity completely and mostly try to force a putrid agenda of some sorts. You didn't though! Very good!

There are a few qualms I have with it though, regarding the accuracy of the information. The greatest problem may be with the origin of racism. I think one might argue that racism could be seen as early as, well, antiquity. This is, however, not quite certainly the case. There are examples of so-called "proto-racism" everywhere from North Africa to Scandinavia in classical antiquity/early medieval period, but we cannot for sure know whether or not these were so much questions of skin color as much as they were questions of differing cultural habits and traditions.

However, and this is an important however, racism has existed long before the 18th century. The problem is that racism in the modern period is not the same as its earlier forms. It is, at its core, the same thing, only with "race" differently defined. A person's ethnicity was, back then, defined mainly by their culture, rather than their descent. Perhaps that is why Muslims and Christians did not (and do not) get along, rather than white and middle-eastern people. That is why the Romans shunned the Gaelic and Germanic tribes, referring to them as 'Barbarians.' Not because of their skin color or physical features, but because of their language and culture.

While it may not be seen as racism today, as we have invented other expressions, at its core, the concept is very similar. So I think it's safe to say that racism as a whole has existed for almost as long as human civilization itself, even among people of the same race, but differing cultures! Just depends on how you define racism. If it must strictly involve ethnicity, as in physical features, then the whole matter changes significantly. So I'd pay less attention to this part of my review.

I also believe you do not give enough attention to the potential cause of racism. I know very little about the human mind, so I dare not say if racism is partly instinctual or completely societal. I have no clue, really. But it would be a nice touch!

Other than that, it seems rather unbiased, and I commend you for that. Although it'd be nice to add reasons for why racism is detrimental to society, and possibly reasons as to why Europeans dislike 'the refugees' with such passion. I'm from a Central European country myself, one where we do not take in refugees if they are unwilling to contribute to our nation, so it'd interest me as well.

One last note would be on the correlation between, say, intellect and race. Well, from what I can find, there is certainly no scientific evidence supporting a correlation between race and intellect directly. There is, however, a distinct correlation between intellect and culture (where you were raised). IQ in third-world nations is distinctly lower than in the developed world. This, however, is less about race and more about national development. So it's just a fun bit of information from me.

The Bible quote is also nice. I appreciate it as a Christian!

Overall, I'm happy to see that you relied a lot less on feelings, and more on facts, and that you did not lean toward either political view. That is crucial in writing essays. An essay must, of course, contain personal opinions, but it should still be neutral in a political sense.

Keep it up!

AlexNoelle says...

Thanks for the review, it was very helpful! I would've liked to add a lot of the things you mentioned and a few of those points did cross my mind, but I was given a very short amount of time to complete this assignment before it was due so I had to pick and choose what I thought was most important to put in.

By the way, I meant to say the practice of slavery, not racism, started in the 18th century, which still would've been wrong. I don't know what I was thinking when I put in the date of the start of slavery, I wasn't thinking at all actually. I wrote down the date from my textbook, which I would've realized was wrong if I had been thinking for myself!

Thank you for appreciating my stance on this, it was very hard to keep personal feelings out of it, especially since my great grandparents were Irish slaves.

AlexNoelle says...

There, I took that part out.

Hey, no problem. I know I might be a tad harsher than some reviewers and really 'go to town' on authors, but it's all meant in good heart, believe me.

An essay is actually supposed to have personal feelings and opinions, so there's no problem there. At least that's what our literature teacher would have us believe, so I think it's true. That's how she defined an essay, at least.

Fine work on your part, especially with maintaining objectivity, like I said!

AlexNoelle says...

Thanks once again! Yeah, I really don't have a problem with people that, as you say, "go to town" when criticising authors. As long as it's constructive rather than offensive. I really need the help, so I actually couldn't care less either way XD

AlexNoelle says...

I want to add quickly that I would've liked to add more feeling to this essay, I feel very strongly on this subject and I am very passionate about ending all racism, but I get into trouble if I express too much feeling V.S facts in my English papers, unless I have specific permission to write that way.

Thisislegacy says...

I recommend fact checking some of your statements, such as when racism started. There was slavery even during Ancient Egypt. :)

AlexNoelle says...

Oh yeah you're totally right! I completely forgot about that, duh! I was reading the information out of my textbook and that's what it said...

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau