z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

To see introduction

by AnnMath4500


Hello, my name is Emily. I'm blind. I was born blind. I've never seen the “pretty” sky. I've never seen a “handsome” face. I have only felt the things I have touched. I have a rough picture of what things look like, but I've never seen them so I wouldn't know. With blindness comes many problems. One of which is that I couldn't read this. Try to imagine being blind. You can't. You've seen the world; therefore you can't imagine not seeing it.

Try this, imagine seeing yourself as a featureless being with only what people tell you that you have: two arms, two legs, one head, two eyes, one nose, one mouth, ten fingers, ten toes. Now, try to imagine not being able to see yourself but still knowing that you exist. Before we continue, you need to picture this in a colorless, shapeless room. Do you have your image? Let's begin.

Okay now something else comes into view. A good friend of yours, Want. He's everything you wish for: “blue skies” and “star filled nights”, “flowers” and “skyscrapers”. He comes close, but you want him closer, need him closer. Suddenly, you remember that it's not so good to want so much. He fades away in defeat. You take it as a small accomplishment but not for long.

Another figure forms from the emptiness: Doubt. You know she's bad, but, being the path of least resistance, she can be easily accepted. Being a reflection of how you feel, she's weak, scared, and frail-looking. She shakes her head at you, telling you that you can't. You resist joining her and tell yourself that you can if you try. She goes back to the void from which she came, in disappointment. You feel relief for a split second before you feel the presence of another emotion.

Oh no, Fear. It stalks you wherever you go, and it's hard to escape. You can't see it but images race through your mind of what it could look like. You push them to the back of your brain and glare at where you feel it's presence strongest. Annoyed, it's presence slowly goes away. Weary and wary, you continue on.

Then, like a small child, Love glides toward you. A tender warmth fills you as Love embraces you. Tears of joy and relief fill your eyes when you hug her back. She stays by your side and helps keep you strong in the presence of the others, until she's scared off by one of them. You're left crying until she finds you again.

These are a few of my daily problems, and the easiest way for me to fight them is to keep my actions happy. Please keep this in mind as we go on with the story.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 144
Reviews: 126

Donate
Mon May 15, 2017 7:59 pm
papillote wrote a review...



Hi, Ann.
I have no objection to starting out with « Hello, my name is Emily. » If Herman Melville's Moby-Dick can start out with « Call me Ishmael. », why couldn't you let your narrator introduce herself ?
My advice would be to scratch out the « Hello », it sounds a little familiar. But it really depends on Emily's tone in the rest of the novel.
I would definitely make a whole paragraph out of « Hello, my name is Emily. I'm blind. I was born blind. »
Then, you skip a line and : « I've never seen the “pretty” sky. I've never seen a “handsome” face. I have only felt the things I have touched. I have a rough picture of what things look like, but I've never seen them so I wouldn't know. With blindness comes many problems. One of which is that I couldn't read this. Try to imagine being blind. You can't. You've seen the world; therefore you can't imagine not seeing it. »
It gives more punch to your first three sentences.
The part about what being blind felt like made me think of something I read in Helen Keller's story of my life :
« Lately she has been much interested in colour. She found the word "brown" in her primer and wanted to know its meaning. I told her that her hair was brown, and she asked, "Is brown very pretty?" After we had been all over the house, and I had told her the colour of everything she touched, she suggested that we go to the hen-houses and barns; but I told her she must wait until another day because I was very tired. We sat in the hammock; but there was no rest for the weary there. Helen was eager to know "more colour." I wonder if she has any vague idea of colour—any reminiscent impression of light and sound. It seems as if a child who could see and hear until her nineteenth month must retain some of her first impressions, though ever so faintly. Helen talks a great deal about things that she cannot know of through the sense of touch. She asks many questions about the sky, day and night, the ocean and mountains. She likes to have me tell her what I see in pictures.
But I seem to have lost the thread of my discourse. "What colour is think?" was one of the restful questions she asked, as we swung to and fro in the hammock. I told her that when we are happy our thoughts are bright, and when we are naughty they are sad. Quick as a flash she said, "My think is white, Viney's think is black." You see, she had an idea that the colour of our thoughts matched that of our skin. »
We can't imagine how much of our experience is only possible because we aren't blind.
I liked that you didn't make Emily sound too pathetic, that you didn't go into too much details about all she can't see, moving on instead to your little puppet show of emotions.
It was nicely done but that's only an incipit. Not much happen. I'm curious about the rest of your novel.
Nice work, Ann. Good luck.




User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 344
Reviews: 126

Donate
Mon May 15, 2017 3:29 am
Aleta wrote a review...



Hello Ann!

Commenting on the beginning, I thought that if you took out the first two parts and just left it with 'I was born blind' as the first sentence would make it way more impactful and shocking. After that, you may introduce the character's name and whatnot. I guess it just adds a little more spice, you know? Nonetheless, this edit is not needed as it is completely fine the way it is right now. As I went on, it piqued my interest as to how she was writing this. I figured maybe someone taught her where all the keyboard spaces were. Or they wrote it for her as she spoke aloud.

I found that when the speaker talked about these emotions as actual people, describing them to us, and giving them bodies and emotions to go along with their name was very clever. It's not like you're just blandly stating that she experiences all of these things, but it takes it to a more personal and deep level as if she's given them these appearences even though she can't see them physically.

Anyways, yeah I guess that's it. Cheers, and feel free to ask if you have any questions! :)




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Mon May 15, 2017 1:31 am
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hi Ann, welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy it here. I'm Princess (or Knight) Ink, but feel free to call me Ink!

Hmm...so not much on plot to comment on. I feel as if this is like a little "note" in the beginning, like a little subtle peek into Emily's life. It's like she has some longing and doubt and fear, but love can comfort her as well. So far, I find it lovely. I can sense the narrator's clear and direct voice shining through her words and that's the strength of this piece, I think. I only have a few critiques here:

The opening sentences. I like the "I was born blind" was something that caught my eye, but the "Hello, my name is Emily" turned me off. I know, especially in 1st-person POVs, that establishing the MC's name is quite tricky but this is just my pet peeve for a story to start with "My name..."

I like the transition from the first paragraph to the second, but the transitions of the other paragraphs involving emotions were okay, not too bad but not lovely either. A little smoother transition can improve it, I think. The transition

Before we continue, you need to picture this in a colorless, shapeless room. Do you have your image? Let's begin.


didn't exactly work for me, but this could be just an opinion.

I also think the end can be a little stronger than just stating that they're "my daily problems". The thing is, I'm pretty sure a lot of people do have these problems so putting them down doesn't pack so much of a punch. And the "Please keep this in mind" makes me cringe a little because it reminds me of a nonfiction book? (Might be just my opinion again.) I see that Emily fights it with happy--and perhaps--hopeful actions, so perhaps she can end the introduction with a hopeful note. Or not. Either way, I would love to hear how they affect her thoughts--just a short and sweet conclusion.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this introduction because of the narrator's voice in it. The transitions and conclusion need some work in my opinion, but remember that my word is not law and my suggestions may be waaay off the mark. In the end, it's up to you to decide what course of action to take when revising the story. My inbox is open if you want to talk about this review or if you have any YWS-related questions!


Image





Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk