.

by ChieTheWriter

Mea wrote a review...

Hey there. Haven't read previous parts, so just going to roll with what I see here.

So, unless my memory is very wrong, this is pretty much a rewrite of Star Wars IV with one extra character, Chie (an OC?). Interesting.

I notice you don't deviate too much from the original movie dialogue and stuff, and while I like the adherence to canon, and I realize I haven't read the rest of this so this may not apply, I'm just going to say to be careful of sticking too close to the actual plot. The thing is, each character in any given film is there for a reason. If Chie can be added into Star Wars IV without significantly altering the overall plotline, then she's a redundant character, and redundant characters are boring and to some readers annoying. If Chie doesn't grab the reader's attention, if Chie isn't essential and doesn't cause new and interesting things to happen, then the reader will be left wondering why they didn't just go watch the actual Star Wars.

As far as other things go, I noticed you're head-hopping. Specifically, you switched at least once between Han's and Chie's thoughts, randomly and for a very brief period of time. If you're trying to do omniscient, that's not how it works. Unfortunately, there's a severe lack of articles on YWS on the topic (I've been meaning to write one, but time is a thing I do not have), but this offsite article is one I have bookmarked for reference on this sort of thing: Using Third Person Omniscient

The golden protocol unit wasn’t the bravest of droids, and was quick to celebrate the fact that they had made it to hyperspace in one piece.

I'd be very surprised if anyone reading this didn't know who C-3PO was, which makes this a bit redundant.

And that's all I've got! Good luck, and keep writing!

I read the article and it was helpful, but now I'm not sure if I'm trying to do omniscient or not. I want to switch between the characters POV's to emphasize on their specific thoughts and feelings, but is that incorrect or bad structure? For example, a scene with Chie and Han:

"This is the worst idea she's had since sneaking into that Imperial base on Dantooine." Han thought as he watched Chie slip behind some crates to avoid a squad of troopers. "She's going to get me killed..." He tightened his grip on his blaster while getting into a more comfortable position. He had only to wait for Chie's signal, then he'd make his move. "That is...if they don't find me first..."

((Then I want to switch to Chie's POV, and what she's thinking/feeling at the moment.))

Chie held her breath as she watched the squad of white-clad troopers march past her. Her head ducked out of sight into the shadows. When the squad had passed, Chie inched her way down the length of the wall, hoping that the troopers didn't see her. "Han had better be ready... she thought as she glanced over to where the smuggler was concealed behind some crates. "This is gonna be big...

Is that right? I'm not trying to be annoying, but I'm only curious.

Mea says...

Don't worry, that's a common question. Typically, no, that doesn't really work. It just winds up being too confusing, and since each character should have a different character voice, switching between their actual thoughts is too much of a shift for every couple of paragraphs. There's a reason why you never see a published book written like that - generally the omniscient narrator just states what the characters are thinking, i.e. "She thought he wasn't very nice." instead of He's not very nice, she thought.

Plus, it's usually not strictly necessary to show multiple characters' thoughts at once - the small bonus is not worth the cost in confusion and whiplash. You can plan around it.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:17 am
AkeliaTaske says...

Have no review for this! This was very good! :)

Thanks Akelia!

AkeliaTaske says...

No prob Chie

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:03 am
yizhongt wrote a review...

Hey there, yizhongt here to leave a review as requested!

Let me just say that the story is progressing well. I like how you have inserted Chie so seamlessly into the story. Her presence on the Falcon changes the narrative of the original story, but to me, it changes it in a positive manner. I like her and her interaction between Luke and Obi-Wan. As for Han, well, Han is Han.

Now I did notice some minor niggly issues early on in this piece of work.

(Han leaned back in his seat as the ships entered hyperspace.)

It should be: Han leant back into his seat as the ship entered hyperspace.

One more thing:
(“We ain’t out of this yet, Flyboy.” Chie replied, “We still have to get to Alderaan on one piece.”)

There should be a fullstop after replied, not a comma.

All in all, this was a good piece of work. I cannot wait to see what will happen when they all get aboard the Death Star. I would like to see how you inject Chie into the situation.

Thanks for the review yiz! :D I'll fix that stuff.

He who knows only his own generation remains forever a child.
— Cicero