Just Conform

by Ang920

Would you like to buy the key to eternal happiness?

No, it doesn't cost much.

Just your individuality, most of your money, and any self respect that you might have.

You just have to learn how to conform.

No no no, you don't have to change anything about yourself.

Just your clothing,

and your hair,

maybe try some plastic surgery,

oh and those “friends” you hang out with will have to go.

Try hanging out with the more popular crowd,

the pretty people.

Sure they may have nothing in common with you and they will stab you in the back the moment you get in their way,

but hey people will see you and think that you're cool, you're popular, you're practically famous.

They will be jealous of you!

Think about how good that will feel. To know that people want what you have, want to be like you, would kill to have your life.

How could you not begging to have this key to joy.

Don't you want to be happy?

Don't tell me that you are content with how your life is.

That's impossible.

I mean look at yourself.

You're practically bubbling over with individuality.

Individuals do not fit in.

You look different from everyone else,

you wear different clothing than everyone else,

you talk different from everyone else,

and worst of all is that you have an opinion that is different than everyone else.

I mean, how dare you have an unpopular opinion.

You do realize you are setting yourself up to be hated.

You are destining yourself for failure.

Why don't you understand that if you need to listen to me and conform!

Put on more makeup,

have long hair,

smile more, it will make you look pretty,

and to be pretty is to be wanted.

Don't you understand that society will always tell you that you can be yourself,

that everyone is a snowflake and sparkling with individuality.

Don't you understand that society lies.

They'll never love you for who you really are.

They want you to be

pretty,

skinny,

quiet,

submissive,

sitting there with your fake shiny lip gloss smile,

miserable.

Yes, fine. I did lie. You will still be miserable,

but at least people will think you're happy.

So why not try.

just conform,

fake the happy.  

cleverclogs wrote a review...

Hey there, Ang190! clogs here for a Review Day review!

This poem feels a little unorganized to me right now. Maybe try splitting it up into stanzas. That might make it a little more appealing to the eye. Right now it's kind of hard to read, and it might help you organize your ideas a little more. To get stanzas in the YWS publisher, you have to either split them up with little punctuation (like ---) or press "shift" with "enter".

I think that this poem's greatest strength is its irony. This topic has been written about a LOT, so I think that the irony was your way of bringing your own unique voice to this subject. Unfortunately, I think it came across as too heavy-handed for some parts of the poem. It starts off strong, with these lines:

No, it doesn't cost much.

It's not exactly subtle with these lines, but it's not heavy-handed either. It leaves the reader to figure out that there's irony, instead of explaining it. You didn't keep that up for the rest of the poem though, because it started to feel a little bit too on-the-nose. It gets less and less subtle throughout the whole poem. I think that this part in particular suffered from this:

Here, you were essentially telling the reader, "Yo, this whole poem is ironic", and you really didn't need to. The reader can figure out that there's irony, believe me. You don't need to tell us, because then it kinda feels like you're insulting our intelligence. I think that the best kind of irony is obvious enough that the reader gets it and appreciates it, but subtle enough that the author doesn't have to wave it around in our faces and say "LOOK AT THE IRONY!"

I think this might make a good slam poem, because then the sarcastic tone could work really well when people are actually saying it. But even then, you wouldn't need to tell the reader/listener about it; they would interpret it for themselves.

The punctuation is a little off-kilter in places, although overall you did a good job with it. For instance, in this line:

I feel like that should be a question mark at the end, not a period. There are a couple other instances of iffy punctuation, but I'm not going to sit here and point them all out to you, because I feel perfectly confident that you can go through it and fix those things. Remember, the punctuation should always feel natural when you're reading it to yourself.

The imagery is okay, but the lack of it is mostly covered up by the abundance of sarcasm. But why can't you have a poem with good imagery and sarcasm? For instance, in these lines:

You look different from everyone else,

you talk different from everyone else,

How about telling us exactly how this person is different? Don't just say they "wear different clothing", talk about how they're "the only fandom t-shirt in a sea of brand-name clothing" or something! Adding imagery like that can strengthen your poem and make a better image in the reader's mind. Here's a Knowledge Base article about imagery that will go more into detail:

Imagery

Overall, I did like this poem! Again, I think the irony is really what made it strong. I hope this review helped in some way! Keep on writing, and happy Review Day! :D

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:07 am
Zackymas wrote a review...

Okay okay. Very interesting, I shalt review it o3o.

So this is a rhyme less poem, which isn't bad. Making this kind of poems can be tricky since, as you are not using rhymes, you have to really get that meaning into your verses and make sure not to have any kind of contradictions between the meaning of each stanza, and stanza... that takes me to my next point. I don't see any here. Perhaps that was an stylish decision, but it usually is good to work with stanzas, so I'd recommend you to add them either way.

So the poem is about someone trying to find happiness? Or is it about someone trying to find a place? These two can be related, but they are not the same, this poem's identity seems to transfer from those two situations back and forth, which could make it weak (Or strong, depending on your perspective).

Overall it's a good piece, it builds meaning with each verse. Although some are longer than they should, making the read feel a little off.

Keep writing :D

Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness
— Allen Ginsburg