Keppers Of the Peace

by Amira15

The twins reached the Docks. The crossroad between Man and those who aren't. Where wealthy humans would purchace items from other species just to keep up with the latest trends. The smell of salt water and fish filled the air. The docks were busy. On one half of the docks there were ferry ships. The other, cargo.

Sereen climbed down off of her horse and grabbed the harness and pulled it aside her as she walked along the moist wood of the board walk. Seldon soon did the same following her. She stared around. This has only been the second time shes been to the docks. The fist time was when she was very small. They live in the Mountain lands of Cano. Cano is extremely elevated lands and the wind is very strong.Thats how the people of Cano power there homes.Its all land mostly. The only water shes been close to in years was the water fall on the side of the Apia Mountains. Her eyes moved back and fourth searching for suitable transportation. She caught site of a ferry.It was a Large white boat with a curled bow and red stripes on each of its 5 sails.

"There!" Sereen said

"We"ll board that ferry there." she started to walk forward but Seldon moved quickly in front of her.

"Sereen you must think." He said pointing to his head

"Have we even got the right provisions for that ferry. I don't think we can afford it" He said.

He turned and looked at the Ferry.

"I correct myself. I know we cant afford it."

Sereen didn't believe her brother.She pulled her horse around him and went on towards the ferry.

"Sereen what are you doing!"her brother said trying to follow after her through the crowd of people.

"Finding out if your right or wrong."she yelled back to him.

They were both finally out of the crowd. They were standing in front of the walk to the ferry. There was a Tall man standing there wearing a blue jumpsuit that could barley cover his ankles. With a four cornered cap that covered half his bald head. He had a badge that looked like a smaller model of the ferry.Sereen knew from that he was a worker from the Ship.

"Excuse me"she said taking off her hood.

"if i wanted to ride this ferry, how much do you think it will cost me?"

The man looked down to her. he smiled and showed his crooked yellow teeth. But no matter how disgusting, Sereen kept a faint smile.While Seldon smirked behind her back.

" bout 700 curencies darling " the man said

Sereen's smile faded completely. It hit her. Seldon was right they'd be lucky if it was 300 curencies. All she had was 75. She let it hit her again. Seldon was right. She turned around to her amused brother.

"Alright Seldon it seems you were right,you can stop your laughing now."

Seldon stopped laughing and followed his sister back into the crowd.

" I told you I was right I'm always right."

"Fine mister always right what do we do now!" Sereen said irritated.

"well...." Seldon said serious

"We may have to take drastic measures.....and sell the horses and some of our belongings keep whats important but sell everything else."

"If it gets us better transportation alright." Sereen said agreeing.

They sold there horses and a few of there possessions to a merchant on the board walk.It got the 275 curencies.

"what ferry would take this for the both of us. I'm starting to think that that merchant ripped us off! " Sereen said angrily.

"Calm down, Calm down." Seldon said counting the money for a third time.

He looked around then his eyes widened.

"Sereen wait here a moment I'll be right back." And with that Seldon ran off into the crowd.

"Wait Seldon what are you ahh... never mind."

Sereen sat on a crate in front of a merchants shop.She watched as busy people moved around handling business. She then started to look at the amulet. It was strange because the more she looked at it, the more deep thought she fell into about her journey ahead.One by one the sounds around her faded out.She could only hear the amulet but it wasn't speaking at all. She was linked to it some how.Then she heard what it was trying to say to her.

"Change " she said troubled.

"Change what" Seldon said

And all at once reality's sound came back to her ears. The Amulet was just an amulet again. And she could no longer hear it.

"Sereen" Seldon said "

"Are you feeling alright?"

Sereen looked at her brother then the amulet. She felt uneasy. But she couldn't tell her brother that.

"I'm fine" She said standing up

"Where did you go!" She yelled at him.

"Yeah he said I got a ride."

He pointed to an Old cargo ship

sitting at the docking bay with the letters R and N in fading paint on the side

the ship looked poorly taken care of.Sereen looked at Seldon

"Are you felling alright" she said

"I know it looks bad but Ive talked to the captain and he says this is as safe as they come."

Sereen hesitated before walking very slowly.

"Come on" Seldon said pushing her forward.

Sereen and Seldon sat aboard the cargo ship. Men who are or used to be up to no good work on the ship it seems no other captain would hire them.

The upper deck was just about the only place on the ship that didn't smell.

The twins sat on the crates nearest to the ocean and watched the shore get smaller and smaller as they sailed further and further away.

"So that amulet is the Star of Freedom, well part of it anyway."

"Yes"

Sereen said looking at it.She had told her twin brother everything their grandmother said to her.

He looked around at the workers below who time to time would be caught staring at them,or much rather Sereen.

"Why do you think Grandmother Tonia Gave you that sword?" she asked

Seldon picked up the sword and stared at the black handle with the silver symbol etched into it.

"I have no idea but i think Ill put it to good use."

It was getting dark.

"Well we wont be at Shorm until tomorrow." Seldon said.

"Get some sleep." He said

"I'll stay awake I don't really feel comfortable on this ship."Seldon said looking at the workers again.

"Neither do I." She said laying on Seldon shoulder.

"I trust you completely" she said and closed her eyes.

Sereen Had a weird dream she was floating in the air and she could see nothing but white. Then everything went black in an instant and all of these feelings of doubt and confusion caused her to fall and she kept falling but know one was there to help her.

The next morning someone was nudging her awake.

"Sereen" her brother whispered "wake up we've arrived."

Sereen opened her eyes and saw The blue sky she could smell the ocean and the forest by the shore.she stood up to see miniature people with pointy ears.She knew she was in Shorm.Halfings were all over the place.Seldon and Sereen stepped off ship they walk across the docks to a great wooden gate .

"your business here" a voice said

Seldon and Sereen bent down to the small window in the booth. a Halfling man with huge Eye brows said a gain your business here.

"We are visiting a friend."Sereen said.

The weird man looked at her then at her brother.

"alright" the little man said.

A ray of light came from his hand he stretched it and pressed the center.It began to blink green and the gate began to open. The twins thanked the man and walked inside.

"Remember this day sis. ."Seldon said.

Sereen looked at him.

"we've just witnessed Halfling Magic."

"Hmmp" Sereen said "consider this day remembered."

They were about the only beings there over 4 ft . The gate was not the only thing operated by magic here were carts that did not need horses to pull them.There were lights but no fire was viable.Halflings are very well known for there Magic its also how they make a living selling here magical inventions to others.

"How are we supposed to find the other keeper Sereen." Seldon said to Her.

"Do you see a book store anywhere."she said.

"No Sereen I know you like your history and the Halfling history should be interesting but-"

"Silly brother"

Sereen said.

"I want to look up where the Halfling Keeper was in these lands and by doing that i can probably trace the new keeper to where ever she is."

"Okay "Seldon said

"Smart plan i think thats a books Store there."

He said pointing to a small shop with Books in the front window.They went inside they saw many books on lots of shelves.Sereen went straight to work.She found out one of the keepers used to live on the far side of Shorm.

"But do you think shes there?" Seldon asked.

"Maybe I don't know." Sereen said "But we have to find out."

They rode one of the carriages that doesn't need a horse to pull it .They came to a small village outside of the city. It was really peaceful.Small children were chasing birds and elderly women sat and watched.Then Sereen got a feeling. The amulet was talking to her again telling her to walk. She went walking down the road.There was a girl with long black hair,sitting on a log fence,humming just starring at what looked like a silver leaf shaped amulet.

"Excuse me" Sereen said. She had a feeling so she spoke.

"I am a human and I am meeting a Halfling half way."

The girl looked at Sereen.Then saw her amulet. She smiled then said

'Then I am the Halfling you've come to meet.'[b]

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:38 am

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: This sounds like a nice little short. I definitely would love to see what happens after this. It flowed quite well overall and the idea here was quite interesting. It actually does in fact sound like an excerpt from a novel. And the whole idea seems quite good and pretty interesting.

That's a decent place to start things off. A little bit of an establishing shot and that's always a nice thing to see.

The information that is being dumped here seems fairly subtle but it is breaking up the flow of the story a bit. Its like a narrator is adding his comments onto the main story as it flows so it isn't that easy to read.

Those two words should not be capitalized right there.

Them not knowing the price of a ferry like this seems a little unlikely but that's just a bit of a nitpick.

Well that doesn't sound good.

Well this whole part is quite interesting. I really wish this had a part 2 that we could go read to see how all of these things that are being set up would pay off eventually.

Not too sure why all this hype was built around the ship being dilapidated when it really pays off in any way but that's just a bit of a nitpick.

Bit of a subtle description there. It doesn't give the best picture there but it doesn't sound so its okay.

Very interesting dream to have right there.

You need to put a little line or something to indicate a scene break here or its a little too sudden.

"Remember this day sis. ."Seldon said.

Sereen looked at him.

"we've just witnessed Halfling Magic."

This bit of dialogue sounds very scripted and seems to only to service the exposition that they are giving out here.

Pretty decent description there.

'Then I am the Halfling you've come to meet.'

Well that was kind of easy but then it is a short story so I don't suppose it can be drawn out that much.

Aaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall this was pretty easy to follow and it sounds like a nice little piece that comes out of a fairly well developed world. The conversations and relationship between the two is realistic for the most part so it does a good job overall.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:34 am
mizz-iceberg wrote a review...

Hey there! I usually don't read fantasy but this caught my eye and it was quite interesting.

OK, let see, this piece here is in bad need of editing and polishing. I think if you go through this again you'll notice all the mistakes right away as they are quite obvious.

First of I noticed you were confused with your periods. You didn't place them in a lot of places where they were needed. Use a period at the end of a sentence that makes a statement.

for example:

The plane took off we were on our way.

this sentence is wrong because there is a missing period. I should be two sentences.

'The plane took off.' is one statement

and 'We were on our way.' is another.

So it should read.
The plane took off. We were on our way.

If you feel that combining the two sentences would read better you can add conjunctions. There are seven co-ordinating conjunctions in the
English language: and, but, or, nor, for, so and yet.

So it can read like this:

The plane took off and we were on our way.

So:

"Get some sleep and I'll stay awake I don't really feel comfortable on this ship."

In this sentence there are three statements.
1. Get some sleep
2. I'll stay awake
3. I don't really feel comfortable on this ship

you combined 1 and 2 using the conjunction 'and'.
But you need to either put a period after awake and make 'I don't feel comfortable' another sentence or you can use a comma to combine them.
Here's a link for you on periods.
http://www.lousywriter.com/punctuation_period.php

I also find many places where they were comma's missing.
Like here for example:
So that amulet is the Star of Freedom well part of it anyway.

You need a comma after freedom.
Here's another link on comma's
http://www.lousywriter.com/punctuation_comma.php

I also recommend reading up on semi-colons:
http://www.lousywriter.com/punctuation_semicolon.php

Other things that I noticed:
"Neither do i Sereen said but i trust you completely."

It should probably look like this:

"Neither do I," Sereen said. "But I trust you completely."

Notice where I placed the quotation marks and the comma and periods. I also capitalized your 'i's You must remember to to always capitalize the word "I". I noticed you hadn't in a lot of places.

Sereen Had a weird dream she was floating in the air and she could see nothing but white then everything went black in an instant and all of these feelings of doubt and confusion caused her to fall and she kept falling but know one was there to help her.

Phewww that was long sentence. It's a called a run on sentence. try to break this sentence into smaller sentences and try put comma's to use here.

also I noticed in your story you had capitalized words in random places. I don't think you need to capitalize 'had'.

-And I also think you meant to say 'no' instead of 'know'

so this sentence should probably look like:

Sereen had a weird dream; she was floating in the air and she could see nothing but white. Then everything went black in an instant and all of these feelings of doubt and confusion caused her to fall. She kept falling but no one was there to help her.

another place where you randomly capitalized and could have used a comma, period or a conjunction.
Sereen opened her eyes and saw The blue sky she could smell the ocean and the forest by the shore.

So perhaps it could look like this:

Sereen opened her eyes and saw the blue sky. She could smell the ocean and forest by the shore.

-There was no reason to capitalize 'the'.

I also noticed in a lot of places you forgot to capitalize when a new sentence began.
so remember to capitalize when you start a new sentence.

There were also a lot of awkward sentences like the one:
Where Men who are or used to up to no good work or hide out.

I don't quite understand what you mean here. You might want to work that out.

and oh yes... A bit of characterization would do well. What I mean is I'd like to see more into Sereen and Seldon thoughts. What are these two twins like? What kind of personality do they have? How are the different from each other?

I hope I wasn't too harsh. And I hope this helped! If you have anymore questions PM me.

As I said before, I don't read too much fantasy as I find most fantasy stories have too much cliche. But I didn't feel that way with this story. So good job!
One thing I feel will really help you improve your writing is to keep writing and to read lots.

~Keep Writing~

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie