Broken Glasses

by AllisonArgent

BROKEN GLASSES

It's not been so long since I've met her.It's not being so long since I've loved her. It's not been so long since she left me all alone.

We've not being best friends for a long time. Two weeks since I've met her, I wouldn't have if it wasn't for the accident. I'm a silent guy without any friends. I prefer  paintings and writings.

A Friday evening, last period .  I just got out of the class excited to get home to finish my painting. That's when she ran into me. I never liked a person who talks too much but she, her voice is so easy to get lost in, her eyes bluer than any sea or ocean will steal you for a moment. 

Sitting at home all alone painting a portrait of her. I mix up more blue to make her eyes the brightest. I don't know but I get this strange tingly felling when I'm with her like she making me fly. Her smile almost sweeping me off my feet. I started mixing dark black for her beautiful wavy hair. I've always wanted to brush it and tuck it under her ear. I used to imagine how smooth her hair would be against my fingers. My parents are happy since I've been friends with her because it's the first time they ever saw me smile after grandma died. We were pretty close, grandma taught me how to paint.That memory will never fade.

Walking home from school on another Friday, not alone but with her. It was late, had a lot of work to finish at school. Almost sunset,  she started talking about it, the sunset. She stood there enjoying the sunset,  Me on the other hand was staring at her eyes going wild in the beauty of the sunset but she was more beautiful. I didn't realize as my hands brush through her hair.She looked at me, her smile gone, she was bit confused. I just realized how stupid I was and I ran home leaving her all alone there.

It's Sunday, we've not talked or seen each other. I don't want to lose her but I'm scared of what I've done. I walked the street to her home.

Strange, there was a big crowd in front of her house. I walked in saw her dad. He came up to me and stared at me with his wet eyes. I was pretty confused. He fell on his knees and started crying, I saw her mother across the room crying. I realized what was happening. My eyes got wet and blurry and my heart started aching it was a feeling I never felt before.  I couldn't stand there, I ran not knowing where I wanted to go.

All alone in my room, in my tux after the funeral. I stared out the window and an image of her came into my mind, I shut my eyes tight tears rolled down. I screamed out loud "ALICIA!!!" wishing she would come back. I realized how much I love her and how much I wish she would be here telling me to calm down with her soothing voice.This pain is the worst and I can't bear it anymore, I can't. I've realized that my heart it's broken like broken glasses and each of it's pieces stabbing me and it's so painful that I can't see her again not anymore.

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:46 am
ShadowPrincess16 wrote a review...

Hey there! ShadowPrincess here to leave a quick review.

There were a few grammatical errors in this but they've already been touched on so I won't do it again. What I will touch on is the fact that this did move along kind of quickly. It seemed to move along almost too quickly. You could try spacing things out more. Adding more detail about the narrator would be a good way to do this. Also, it was kind of missing emotion. There wasn't much explanation about how the narrator himself was feeling. Well, for me at least but then again I'm an emotion person. My writing is always focused on the emotion. Especially in romance.

Anyways, that's pretty much all I have. Overall, this was a good read and I like it a lot. Keep up the good work.

i'll work better on my next story.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:50 am
anniegirl123 wrote a review...

I like the way the narrator originally describes the girl, and how he seems to especially like her eyes. Or how he usually doesn't like people talking but he likes it when she does it. I found the progression of this story and him falling in love a bit to quick but I guess in a sense it worked pretty well for this story.
The ending was pretty surprising, I didn't expect her to die like that, so sudden. It was so sad.
But it was a good story, so keep up the good work! :)

Thnx.

erilea wrote a review...

Hey, it's wisegirl22! And I'm going to review your work! (Don't take my advice if you want your work to get better...:D...just kidding.)

First off, you don't need to capitalize words after commas. Just periods. That happened in your first sentence. But here you really shouldn't need commas because these should all be sentences.

"It's not been so long since I've met her, It's not being so long since I've loved her, It's not been so long since she left me all alone."

Also after the first sentence(s) you take the word "indentation" way overboard. All you need is five spaces, if tab doesn't work on your device. Works well enough for me, anyway.

Here you misspelled "stared".

"He came up to me and starred at me with his wet eyes."

There are a lot of places you could use different punctuation instead of commas. Like when you're describing her eyes you could put dashes before and after your ocean description. It kind of confused me and is sure to confuse other readers. But overall I was not expecting the ending, well done! This was great. I enjoyed it so much!

-wisegirl22

Hello there, I've edited as much as I can. Thank you for your review.

erilea says...

You're welcome!

artybirdy wrote a review...

I noticed some grammar, spellings, such as “starred” for stared, and punctuation errors, i.e. missing commas, incorrect use of them etc. Few sentences feel “broken” due to the unnecessary use of commas and disrupt the flow of the story.

For example, you wrote:
“It was late, had a lot of work to finish.”

This sounds . . . stiff and awkward.

You could try:
The sky began to darken and I glanced at her, mesmerised by her beauty. I had a lot of work pending, but I didn’t care. I’d always put them on hold for her . . . .

I’m not good at giving examples, but did you see my point there?

This brings me on to my next point.

Though it was a narrative, I felt that the story ended too quickly. You brushed over the details, giving us little to imagine. Next time, you might want to take time to develop the speaker’s personality, thoughts and feelings. Dialogues can also help us engage in the story, so use them to your advantage.

That aside, I truly enjoyed reading your story! It was cute and sweet as it portrayed a young boy in love. Though it was a cliché idea, I found it interesting. I can see your efforts and a lot of potential in this story, so very well done.

Good luck, and *never* stop writing! :)

P.S: I’m sorry if I sounded harsh or rude, but I pointed out these flaws to help you improve. These are just my opinions. You’re not obligated to follow them.

Chekwube says...

Would have said these exact same things - cliches and typos. However I enjoyed it tremendously.

ArtStyx says...

Glad you agree. :)

thank you and no you didn't sound harsh and rude.

ArtStyx says...

No problem!

sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara