z

Young Writers Society



Hourglass

by Allessandre


I know this poem is bad, but I just wanted to see what you thought.( I cant write poetry at all, this was a feeble try)

This hourglass,
Is tiny
No more than one inch tall.

With its smooth golden stand
And its pale cream sand
That you can hear if you hold it
to your ear
Flowing back and fourth, back and fourth.

Like the tide
Flowing in and out, in and out

Its scent
Like coins and cinnamon
I wonder where its been?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
560 Reviews


Points: 30438
Reviews: 560

Donate
Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:37 pm
Tenyo wrote a review...



Hey Alles

Okay, to start, get rid of the little itallicised note at the beginning. You should have more confidence in your own writing (:

The description of this thing that seems so tiny and fragile is beautiful. You've given it a feeling, a sound and a smell. It also provokes the thought of where it's been, and the size makes it seem so interesting, but still fragile. I love it!

Unfortunately I can't actually offer any constructive critisism on this apart from what the others have said. I do like the question mark at the end though, it adds a little more of the authors voice to the description.

Well done :)
-Ten




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 3842
Reviews: 23

Donate
Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:34 pm
brainychic212 wrote a review...



I don't think this was bad. It was pretty short but you managed to throw some imagery in there that works. The second stanza, where you described the sand and being able to hear it moving, that was pretty good.

I do have a couple of tiny nitpicks. Not every line needs to be capitalized. You probably typed this up in a program such as Word, where things are automatically capitalized. That's what happens to me all the time. :) Also, the last line doesn't really need a question mark. No biggie :)

I think you can write poetry. You should definitely keep going.
-Brainy




User avatar
384 Reviews


Points: 14918
Reviews: 384

Donate
Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:44 am
eldEr wrote a review...



Huh. This is kind of strange, but strange in a good way. Like Passion said, it's simple, but it makes you wonder deeply about such an unrecognized object. The poem also made me think of time and life. Lives can be looked down on by many as small and insignificant, but they're quite beautiful if you look at them right.
Okay....only problem here is that I now want to add an hourglass to my list of niknaks-to-buy. :lol:
You can definately write poetry ;)




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 1520
Reviews: 28

Donate
Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 am
Passion says...



I don't think your poem is bad at all, I actually like it. Small, simple, but also makes you want to see the hourglass for all its glory no matter how small it is.





You wake up in the morning and it feels impossible? Good. You do it anyway.
— Martin Scorcese