z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Trailing Stardust

by AliceinBluue


The stars are not as distant as we assume. We believe they are unreachable because we only ever look up to find them, because that was where they were first made, and for eons that is where they remained. But nothing is satisfied staying still for forever, and the stars are no different. Years and years ago, they got bored of staring down at us. So they all left their heavenly perches, leaving behind just a small piece of themselves to mark their home, and descended to live amongst us.

They hide amongst us, doing their best to experience life as everything else does, but their masks cannot fully hide all that they are. You can see their past lives through the cracks; you can see their true homes through the breaks. And when you spend enough time with the stars, spend long enough in their company, you can experience what they once lived.

It’s when your dog howls to the moon that has just started to rise and you see flashes of snow-covered terrain and you can feel the harness around your chest as you pull and pull, constantly forward. Or when they curl up beside you when you sleep at night and you dream of swimming in a storm ravaged sea for days, with the man you love beyond belief clinging to your collar.

It’s when he holds you tight late at night, whispering reassurances as the nightmares slowly fade and you can smell the faintest trace of ozone burning. Or when you ask him to keep the secrets you tell with an alcohol drenched mind, and although his world is alcohol bright too, he promises and you know he’ll keep it because the truth of it burns brightly in the center of his soul. And when he talks about his passions and you can see his eyes light up, you catch glimpses of enraptured crowds in his eyes.

It’s when she kisses you and your whole world explodes into white hot brightness, and you can feel energy burning its way through you, you can feel the whole universe expanding at your feet. And when she whispers sweet nothings into your ear, you can see the blackness of space and the Earth far below you. Or when she twines your bodies together and you can feel the fire licking up your body, hurting even as it recognizes you as a kindred spirit.

Sometimes you recognize the stars immediately for who they are, the truth of them burning too bright to ever truly conceal. Or it dawns on you little by little, there’s always just a bit of stardust left behind in their wake. In other occasions, you only recognize the stars as they leave you, one last blaze of brilliance as a goodbye. And there are times when you have your suspicions, but they are never confirmed, nor denied, and you spend the rest of your life wondering. And although you have spent your life surrounded by the stars, there are times when you never recognize the stars, never recognize the ones that are too good at hiding what they are.

And, once every thousand years or so, a star forgets. Forgets what they used to be, what they still are. They lose all memory of their past lives, of living up in the sky. The stars who find them and recognize them as one of their own try to help them remember. Sometimes they are successful, more often than not, they cannot help the star who has forgotten, and the star slowly loses themselves as time passes. They stop sparkling as their pasts lives fade.

You are one of the rare few who have met one of the Forgotten stars. You did not know what they were originally, only that there was something slightly off about them. An emptiness in their voice, a dullness to their eyes. But it was not until a brief flicker of what they used to be came back to them, until they flickered ever so suddenly, that you understood what they were. You saw the other stars you knew at the time attempt to bring them back, crowded around them and let their past lives overflow. But the Forgotten simply shoved them all away, and for the first time in your life you saw stars who remember, dim.

As you age, the number of stars you know grows, till you have surrounded yourself with them. With you they let their past lives flow freely, and you can only hope this means that they are happy. It is only when you are frail and old and struggling to breathe, your hand clutched in the grasp of the star you married only two years ago, tears streaming down your face that you understand. It all comes flooding back to you as you take your last breath and the truth of you break forth in dazzling glory.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 128
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:26 am
Taslimalima wrote a review...



It is a review.
Dear AliceinBluue , I was reading your words. As such,
"It’s when she kisses you and your whole world explodes into white hot brightness, and you can feel energy burning its way through you, you can feel the whole universe expanding at your feet. And when she whispers sweet nothings into your ear, you can see the blackness of space and the Earth far below you. Or when she twines your bodies together and you can feel the fire licking up your body, hurting even as it recognizes you as a kindred spirit. "

And I stopped in last few lines. And whatever you wrote is very realistic.It is kind of so true and ugly truth.I can't write what I have been feeling right now. But want to say, thank you for your excellent view through our life.




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 1278
Reviews: 35

Donate
Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:45 pm
View Likes
wendylau98 wrote a review...



Hey there Alice, you posted a work on your first-day signup, unlike me...Welcome to YWS. Glad to an enthusiast like you! Below are some comments on phrases that I highlighted. Feel free to comment down below!

"But nothing is satisfied staying still for forever." This needs a rephrase, I cannot get what it actually means.

"You can see their past lives through the cracks, you can see their true homes through the breaks." I absolutely love this. This sentence rhyme and it is tremendously well written!

"his world is alcohol bright." Never knew a phrase "alcohol bright".

"the truth of them burning too brightly " Burns brighly / burns too bright / burning bright Love this! Truth burns.

"but they are never confirmed, never denied." But they never confirmed, nor denied.

"recognize them as one of their own try to help them remember" Tries to help

"Sometimes they are successful. But more often than not," Sometimes they succeed, more often times than not.

"They stop sparkling as their pasts lives fade." They stop sparkled as their past lives faded/ they slowly dims as their past lives fades.

"and old and struggling to breath" Breath, a noun(item). Breathe, a verb(action). He breathe hardly and took a deep breath. Double 'and' in a sentence, repetitive connective words.

"truth of you breaks forth in dazzling glory." Break. You, I, plural nouns no 's' in verbs. But, truth of you break forth in blazing glory has a very nice ring to it!

Lastly, lack of commas in you sentences, sometimes, your sentences are too long and in need of commas.
Eg, Or when they curl up beside you when you sleep at night and you dream of swimming for days through the water with the man you love beyond belief clinging to your collar. (need a comma somewhere) (swimming certainly be in water, repeating. Swimming through the : sea, river, ocean, pools; Unless metaphor like swimming though darkness, time, despair etc)

Eg, and when she whispers sweet nothings into your ear (,) you can see the blackness of space and the Earth far below you.

Lastly. I am in love with the concept of Stars among us. That fading starlight, leaving trails of stardust, the taste, fell, hope of the essence of heavens. Burning intense in the soul of people and even dogs. An emptiness in their voice, a dullness to their eyes. It touch to my soul, and it makes me wonder. The last of flicker, the whats of makes them so different from humans. It's beautiful beyond words! Thank you very much Alice.

~Wendy




AliceinBluue says...


Hello hello Wendy! Thank you so much for your review! It made me so happy knowing which lines you really liked! Also, thank you for your grammar critique! I often have issues with putting too many commas in my sentences, but I guess I ended up having the opposite problem, oops. They have been corrected now! Thank you so so very much for your review! It made my night!!!



User avatar
118 Reviews


Points: 18525
Reviews: 118

Donate
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:23 pm
View Likes
PastelSlushie wrote a review...



Hello, AliceinBluue, PastelSlushie here for review 26 for #RevMo ! Let's get right into it! Also, welcome to YWS! It's great to see you've already posted something.

Issues/Nitpicks) I feel there is a sort of big issue with the point of view. While it is on second person point of view, the "you" in this story is constantly changing. We go from a dog to multiple different people. The plot doesn't seem almost non-existent here, which is something every or piece of writing needs to have. There was no conflict of any kind, it seemed more line a set-up, you were explaining things more than you were on trying to make a plot.

Good Stuff) I found this to be really cute and motivational, but it seems to lacking in some places. It seems more of a summary of a story with a similar background, short and sweet, have a few details, and done. I would love to read this in more detail. I found the ending to be beautiful, especially with the little bit more detail in the couple last sentences, although I wish that detail would be in every sentence, and I would love this even more.

Overall) Overall, your fabulous choice of words and adjectives made a nice imagery, but this could use a lot of face lifting for it to be as best as it could be. There seems to be no plot set down anywhere, and I think that could be fixed with what MjTucker had said. The point of view is quite confusing, but it's tolerable. This seems to be more of a vent or someone rambling about their feelings instead of an actually short story.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions or disagree with anything in my review. Best of luck in your future pieces,

Pastel




AliceinBluue says...


Hello Pastel! Thank you so much for the review! I'm so glad you liked my word choices, it's always so important to me, and it makes me so happy to think that I did well here! For the point of view issue, the person narrating is always the same, just at different points in their life, and I'm sorry if that didn't carry over very well. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you for the review!



User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am
View Likes
rosette wrote a review...



Hi AliceinBluue, and welcome to the YWS!
I hope you enjoy your stay here, and I'm also happy to see you've posted your first work. That's always exciting. (:

But, moving on.
I like the idea of this, the thought that people are stars - come to earth -, and that is why we feel a certain way around them; there's this certain indescribable quality there. I love stars, and am one of those people who will walk around at night, gaping up at the sky in wonder, so naturally, this idea thrills me. But that's the thing, as MJTucker spelled out for you, it's an idea. Not necessarily a story. You could make a fantastic one out of it, though. This just seems like more of a summary - quick and short - throw in a few details, context and imagery - and it's over. I would love to read more about this.

I struggled with your point of view, because while it is written in second person, the "you" is constantly changing. It's not one, central character. We start off with a dog, then either a man or woman with a man holding them, then man or woman with a "she" kissing and cuddling with them. Top that all off with the last "you" - old, frail person, married, and a star itself. The "you" is multiple people, but in second person PoV, "you" is supposed to be one character, the MC.

I thought the descriptions of "you" were lovely and sweet, but I failed to see how the first two (dog and drunk person who is held by man) even related to the sentence they were supposed to be exemplifying: And when you spend enough time with the stars, spend long enough in their company, you can experience what they once lived. How did those two paragraphs show that "you" can experience what these stars once lived?? I saw it with your last example when person is being kissed by "she", due to all your mentions of the universe, and the Earth, and energy. Now, that sounds star-related. That person sounds like they are experiencing what this star once lived. And it was gorgeous.

This ended beautifully. <3
But one thing I don't understand is how the dying star forgot and never remembered until they died. If they surrounded themselves with other stars, and not shoved them away, how were they not brought back?

I hope you found some of those thoughts helpful. I enjoyed this little work immensely, but I would like to see a few repairs. If any of my critiques sounded harsh, I apologize!

Have a fantastic day, Alice, and keep up your writing. :)
cheers for now!
~rosette

Image




AliceinBluue says...


Hello and thank you so much for the review! I'm so glad you enjoyed my writing! And I'm the exact same way with the stars, I so often find myself staring up at the night sky at them! This not being a short story thing seemed kinda glaringly obvious when I logged back in, so this has been moved to other, because that seemed the best fit for this right now.

As for the point of view thing, it is intended to be one person. They are experiencing the star's past lives, like when a star trusts a person enough enough and spends enough time with them, the person gets flashes of what they experienced. There is also supposed to be a passage of time between each star experience, so the person sleeping by the dog is the same as the person who remembers at the end. Sorry if that didn't come through clear enough in the story itself. The ending was supposed to be a last minute revival thing. Again sorry for any confusion! Thank you again so much for the review!



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:08 pm
View Likes
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there! MJ here for a nice short review, because I have some other things to work on tonight :)

You can see their past lives through the cracks, you can see their true homes through the breaks.
This should be a semicolon, not a comma

you see flashes of snow covered terrain
"snow-covered" is one word

you saw stars who remembered dim.
Remembered dim what?

So my main concern here is that this feels more like an idea pitch than really a short story. It says 'you', but writing this in second person seems really awkward and not like a traditional story at all, not that you have to be traditional but just that it seems strange and abnormal. You used some very good descriptions here, especially sneaking in little adjectives like 'sparkling' and 'dazzling', verbs like 'flickered', 'sparkling', etc.

This idea also didn't really go anywhere. To be a true story, it needs to have a plot, which has several different parts. This was really just a set-up, an explanation of the MC and the people in their lives that have influenced them. There was no conflict here, although you did seem to hint at struggling against some sort of bond or harness that was holding them back. To make this into a story, I would encourage you to go further with that idea. Write about how there was something holding the MC back from becoming one of those stars, and how he/she fought against that harness.

Overall, you used some fabulous words and adjectives to convey your idea, and the language you used was one of your biggest strengths. However, it fell a little bit short of being a real 'short story' and felt more just like an article, maybe, somebody's ramblings about life, or an idea pitch that you brought to the table, which is still not an idea. There was very little plot and conflict, and we didn't see the good vs evil theme at all, which is crucial to any story.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this or anything else on YWS, let me know and I will do my best to help you or redirect you to someone that does have answers. Hopefully my review was helpful, and as always, these are just suggestions for you to keep in mind during editing sessions and future writings. Until next time, good luck with your writing!

Best wishes and RevMo cheer,
MJ




AliceinBluue says...


Hey! thanks for the review! I have made grammatical corrections you pointed out and I'm so happy you enjoyed my descriptions and adjectives! So, I may or may not have written this while on quite a bit of pain meds after a medical procedure, so the short story classification just seemed correct at the time, it has now been moved to the other category! Thank you once again for the review!




cron
Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr