12+

The Saltiest Poem

by Charm

You're never going to care.
Not as long as you can.
You're never going to give in,
even when I have the upper hand.

I keep trying to kill you,
but you always survive.
And I keep saying I'm fine,
but am I really fine?

And I'm lost for words,
because you drained me out.
I struggle to not scream,
but you rarely shout.

I try to confront the problem,
but you're just washed of shame.
Even when witnesses stand against you,
you'll never take the blame.

And I'm not going to try to make it better.
Because I'm done. I'm really, really done
I'm not jumping back into your child's play.
Because sweetheart, I've grown up.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:38 pm
Persistence wrote a review...

Hello, Alice. I haven't done a review in a long time, so I hope this one's up to standard.

I like this poem. One can tell that it is personal, and that you're actually talking about someone, and with genuine feeling. That's the impression that I got, anyway.

Firstly, I have to say that I liked it how you didn't try too hard to rhyme, and you didn't overdo it (like I do sometimes).

Secondly, the lines have varying numbers of syllables, and their stress seems to vary as well. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but at first I thought that it would signify the storm going on inside the narrator's mind. And then I thought: they say that they've grown up, so why would there be a storm? But then I realized that growing up and getting over things aren't the same thing, and things that happen can sometimes leave lasting scars and change a person permanently. So, I think that it's a good thing for the poem.

Anyway, that's for the structure. Now, for the content, again I thought something at first, but then I changed my mind about it. I thought that what was the point of saying that you've grown up and you're done if the person keeps figuratively surviving for you. But then I realized that this poem is in second person. It's about telling the person all of this. So, it's like the narrator is giving the person reasons why it's done and over with.

The narrator never specifies what this person has done, but just leaves it ambiguous for everyone, also implying that the person who inspired this poem would find themselves in it on their own. However, I think that it would leave a more lasting image if you gave an example for how this person is washed of shame, how you tried to "kill" them, or maybe what has made you believe that they don't care. It's just an idea and a personal opinion of mine.

Anyway, I think that this poem is relatable on two levels. Now, I can't speak for everyone, but I personally can identify with both the narrator and the person who is the object of the poem (let's call them Ashley, because it's a neutral name). I've felt like I've had people who just didn't seem to care and who I had trouble setting myself away from despite knowing that they're bad for me. But also, I've felt like Ashley as well, and I've been a jerk to people and I've said some pretty bad things that I didn't mean and that I deeply regret.

So, I think that this poem can teach people something, if they just pause to think about it. If you've got an Ashley in your life, you should try to distance yourself from them because they're bad for you. And if you realize that you are an Ashley, you should be happy that your friends are moving on and trying to be happy; and you should work on yourself to be a better person, because maybe one day your friends will want you back, but even if they don't, you'll be cool enough to make new ones and move on to happiness yourself.

I think that, in the end, if the poem has made you feel or think about things or reflect on who you are and what you're supposed to do, it's done a good job.

So, I hope that this review is satisfactory. Have a nice day!

Charm says...

Thanks a lot for this review! I don't stress much about the amount of syllables in my poems. Most of me poetry is free verse and sometimes I rhyme. I'm glad you understood the meaning of the poem. I hope you have a nice day too ^^

thedumbbrunette00 wrote a review...

Hey AliceAfternoon! I just want to start off this review by saying oh my gosh was your poem amazing. I loved everything about it and the feeling of rage and acceptance of that rage was amazing and not something you see very often in poetry.

I do have some critiques, though they are very minor.

When you say

I try to confront the problem, but you're just washed of shame
I understand what you mean by both, but they don't seem like they belong together in this stanza. I love both quotes but I think they they would be better if they had a different pairing line.

Another critique is when you say,
And I am lost for words
that is not the right way to put the expression. Usually the expression goes "I am at a loss for words." without the at it kind of seems a little choppy.

So yeah, those are my two cents on this poem, once again I would like to tell you how much I love it!

Keep Writing!
-TheDumbBrunette

Charm says...

BlueSunset wrote a review...

Helllo, Alice (hope I can call you that)! :D
I can definitely feel the "saltiness" of this poem. It has a rough and toughness in the outside, with an aggressive feel really proving that you are done with this situation. I really loved how this poem was set up, but to improve - and give deeper sets of imagery, description, and punctuation - is really why I'm here.
I'm pretty sure we can all tell this is a very well thought up poem, and ended very well for this sort of theme. To me, however, there was some confusion that stirred in my mind every now and then when I read through a line or two. Hopefully I can clear up what I was wondering or help improve somewhat on your poem.

This, below, was partly and issue for me in one aspect.

And I keep saying I'm fine,
but am I really fine?

Throughout the whole poem and every stanza, I realized some places you were rhyming, and others you either were attempting to or weren't. Here, whether you were try to rhyme in this stanza or not, messed up this whole verse. Before I read the poem and actually perused it, I was just skimming over every line or so. I'm not sure if you were trying to rhyme "survive" with "fine".
What I'm try to say at this point, is having the two last lines of the second verse end with both "fine" doesn't really work. If you were even thinking about trying to rhyme survive and fine , it wouldn't work as well as it should with both ending with "fine". Words are supposed to be unique with every line, and maybe it would be hard to find another word to replace "fine", but that's what a challenge is for. Try it! It will help that verse of the poem be less bumpy and more smooth and easier for people to read.
The third stanza was great! Rhyming went really well, and I think it was by far my more favorite stanza of them all. I encourage you to find harder words to rhyme with, or ones that are less common to be found. Why? Because you did a great job rhyming here and I think you could do even better if you explore more into your rhyming abilities.
Let's skip to the last stanza. I think it's good, but I don't think it's the best. I love the way you ended it and how you used up your words. However, looking into the punctuation view of things, it could be fixed up. This is a version in which I like partially cause it makes more sense, and also works punctuation wise.
And I'm not going to try to make it better,
because I'm done. I'm really, really done.
And I'm not jumping back into your child's play,
because sweetheart, I've grown up.

I hope you can tell what I edited here. I wanted to allow this stanza to have more flow, so I took out some periods (.) and replaced some commas (,). This is one of the spotlights of poems, and you really want to make it shine. Personally, having more than 4 periods in a stanza will get on my nerves, so don't take my advice if this was what you were going for.

Also, I wanted to clear something up. I didn't really understand what you wanted to do with the rhyming here. Some parts, I felt as though you were rhyming (i.e stanza 3 and 4), other times I thought you were attempting to rhyme (i.e stanza 1), and lastly I thought that you just weren't rhyming. I think this could be fixed up somehow. I know that rhyming can sometimes be a pain, because I write poems, too. But having this variety of rhyming, rhyming attempts, or not rhyming at all is hard to all put together in one whole poem.
Overall, this was a very nice poem, and well... salty. You definitely reached your goals when you said "The Saltiest Poem". I think it is true and deserves it's title. Congratulations for writing a great, and truthful poem. I think you're a really great poet, there were just a couple of troubles here and there that affected me in a negative way. Thank you for writing such a great piece. :pink elephant:

I'm sorry if this seemed offensive in any way. Please note that I was only trying to help and improve on a great piece that has already been written. If you have any questions regarding this review, please ask. ;)

Hope I helped,
Sunset

Charm says...

Thanks for this review. In the description of the poem I wrote, "Honestly don't really care that my rhyme is inconsistent. It's a metaphor for the person this poem is dedicated to."

BlueSunset says...

Ahh, I see. That makes a lot more sense, and clears up a lot for me. I guess I should pay more attention to descriptions. I just saw it on the literary spotlight and clicked it, so I guess that's why I didn't see it. :D

Charm says...

I guess so

Persistence says...

@Sunset101, "words are supposed to be unique with every line"

No, they're not. They're supposed to be whatever the poet wants them to be. There really are no "rules" or "ways things are supposed to be" in poetry. That's the beauty of it. This also includes capitalization and punctuation. You can't say that something just "goes on your nerves", and expect it to be a valid argument for why something is bad. This is poetry, it isn't morphology.

You have every right to not like a poem if it isn't really your kind of thing, but that will always be a personal opinion of yours. I'm not saying this to attack you, I'm saying this to defend poetic creativity. There is a lot that can be done with not using or overusing punctuation or capitalization. There's a lot that can be done with repetition as well. So, why limit ourselves, when we can let our minds go free and create things that are really inspiring?

Here's a poem that has a bit of repetition, just as an example.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-a ... tail/44375

Charm says...

@CandyWizard Thank you! I couldn't agree more!

Sevro says...

I really enjoy the level of sass in this poem <3

Charm says...

hahah thanks <3

MaximusMike wrote a review...

This might be the saltiest review, but here goes.

What did I like? Despite the arguably generic theme of a failed relationship, this piece did crystallise the emotions of someone going through one. I especially liked the fact it played with the typical formula of wishing for the person back by instead showing how the narrator has moved on. You're clearly an experienced poet, with a good level of mastery in terms of the text type.

The one thing I'd pick on is to me personally, the humour wasn't there. Yes, I can see it plays with form in the last stanza - with the last three lines in particular - and I applaud that. However, it needed to go further with the humour, something not unexpected for the type of poem, but rather something unexpected in life, full stop.

Anyway, they're my two cents, and don't let me stop you from writing (which I'm sure I won't), it's just this wasn't wholly my cup of tea. Never the less, a strong poem.

MaximusMike says...

Ah, I see the tags have been changed, scratch that stuff about humour, it's an otherwise solid poem

RituparnaBhowmik wrote a review...

First of all hello I am rituparna, I am back after a very long break and this is the first review I am writing after my return so pardon me if its little rusty. Now coming to your poem I really like the way you should you showed your self consciousness against ur mind. The theme was clear and good. I liked the way you thought as it much agrees with my own thinking. But the part I would like to point out is that it needs some improvement. Your poem appears confused and fast written like a mere draft there's need of refinement. Next the part ''I struggle to scream...'' Is somewhat contrasting in the wrong way. It's like putting two boys in one sentence that only creates confusion. The starting of your poem was very interesting but unfortunately I can't say that about the end. It rather ended in a brisk. The title was also beyound my capacity to interpret or link. I would love if you explain its significance to me. Overall good work despite the little pros and cons. Keep writing and you'll surely improve much more and keep thinking this way as in a very long time I found someone thinking sobmuch like me so I loved the concept.

DivergentDemigod wrote a review...

hey alice! fangirl here!

you know that i love all your works right? even love is an understatement... i'm sort of obessed with all your lovely works. ;)

so this again was awesome! the title you gave it was even awesmoe-er (is that even a word?) the rhyming was good, your poem has an amazing rhythym!

this is really "salty" and ofcourse i loved it...

so yeah! great job...keep it up
FD46~

Charm says...

Thanks :)

Joelsweet wrote a review...

IMAO
This is the most amazingly titled poem I have ever seen. And I read "It's Freaking Spring." I actually am a fan of your slant rhymes, most of them seem to work very well. For a presumed vent poem, this is excellent. Better than much other vent poetry I've seen. (Including my own. Oh lord.) This seems like a crescendo of anger and being fed up hitting a person like a tidal wave. Which may be the intention, I don't know. Annyyway, I really liked this. ^^

~Joelsweet
(Ps- I am by no means a professional poet, lol)

Charm says...

Thanks for this review xD When I'm upset I get very salty and I write salty poems. Usually I don't publish them but I felt like publishing this one xD

Charm says...

Oh and the first poem I ever wrote is on YWS and is soooooo bad. It's also a rant xD it's called "I would kill myself" xD and to be honest, I'd rather kill myself than read that poem again.

Joelsweet says...

Here's one of my old emo poems:
No light but no dark
Pulses, still, silent, deadly,
This is eternal.

Oh geez :,D It hurts. Vent poems can be good for the soul, though. And ranting is good too in doses. ^^

Charm says...

True ^^

Joelsweet says...

You must have been really fed up with someone to feel prompted to write this. XD

Charm says...

Hahaha you could say that xD

Joelsweet says...

Oh man. Have they read it yet?

Charm says...

I don't think so :P Honestly I didn't write it for her to see it. I wrote it to help me get over it

Joelsweet says...

Oh, but she has such a good poem waiting for her! ;) Although it is an angry one, lol

Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered