z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Homeless Homesickness

by Charm


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

I miss the past
I miss what I cannot bring back
I miss dancing, singing, and swinging in my swing
I hate feeling homesick when I have no home
I don't think I've ever belonged anywhere
I didn't belong on stage
or in a classroom
or on a field

So why do I feel so homeless?
Is it this need to belong? To connect?


The first time I moved away I was only a couple months old
and I've moved again and again since then
I've lost a lot but I've kept a smile
I don't want my parents to think they're the reason I'm so fucked up

I don't belong anywhere
I was born in Canada but I'm not Canadian
I know little of how it's like there
I grew up in Spain but I'm not Spanish
I'll never fit in with them
I live in America but this is not my home

So where is my home then?
People say "home is where your heart is"
but what do you say to someone whose heart is broken?

Sometimes I feel like I can see hope in the distance, but I'm mistaken
I suppose some aren't meant to belong anywhere


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun May 29, 2016 10:56 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there AliceAfternoon! Niteowl here with Team Granger to (finally!) review this this fine Review Day! My apologies for not getting to my review requests sooner. I really haven't been in a good place to review and of course that's when people started requesting. Anyway, on to the review.

The first three lines...they're okay, but not great. I feel almost like they're warm-up lines, like they got you into the idea but they're not the main event. "I hate feeling homesick when I have no home" is just so much better and more connected to the piece as a whole that I would cut the first few lines and start there.

So why do I feel so homeless?
Is it this need to belong? To connect?


Someone told me a long time ago that rhetorical questions don't do a whole lot in poems. There are exceptions, but here I'm inclined to agree with that rule. It feels a little bit navel-gazing, that is exploring something that is interesting to the author but not the reader. I think I would keep the first line here, as it's a question you go on to answer when you talk about moving all the time. The second line is redundant and I would cut it.

I've lost a lot but I've kept a smile


Ooh, I just love this line. Sad, yet snappy.

but what do you say to someone whose heart is broken?


I don't think you need the italics here, but otherwise I think this is a good way to use an old cliche. Honestly, you could also dump the last two lines and end it here. I feel the same about the last two lines that I did about the first few...they're just okay.

A general note: I would be more consistent and punctuate the entire piece. This would make it easier to read and also make statements more concrete. For example: "I don't belong anywhere" seems a little wishy-washy, while "I don't belong anywhere." seems more definite and sad.

Overall, I think this piece does a good job of expressing relatable emotions using personal details. Keep writing, Schadenfreude and Fahrvergnügen, and Wingardium LeviOHsa! ;)




Charm says...


Thanks :)



User avatar
485 Reviews


Points: 21027
Reviews: 485

Donate
Wed May 04, 2016 3:16 pm
Elijah wrote a review...



King Here
Hello there, I am here as requested. I am sorry that I did not see your request sooner. I was having school and I was not in the best mood for anything at all.
Now to the review, I only want to ask how can you dance on a swing? Well, I understand that you can a bit but I still do not think you can do the two things on once. I hope you can replace the word 'swinging' so we do not have this word in different forms twice in one single line. For the feelings and emotions put in this work, the story told my this work makes me feel like I am homeless cat or something like that, that needs new house to stay in. This is really sad poetry in my opinion but it shows that not always we can find the place we belong so easily and we need to wander around. I like the faxt that you had left the thoughts of yours in Italic. It made me think "Oh, she is thinking this way." , so I am gladful you prefered it this way.
The only thing that I may want for you to double check and maybe correct is this part:
"but what do you say to someone who's heart is broken?"
I think you mean "whose heart is broken".

"Is this need to belong?" In this part something for me is missing but maybe it is only me. Maybe a 'the'.

Overall, thank you for requesting this.
It was really beautiful and sad at the same time.
Who knows when you will find your true home to stay in.




Charm says...


Hey thanks for this review. "I miss dancing, singing, and swinging in my swing" these are each separate things. I miss dancing and I miss singing and I miss swinging in my swing.



Elijah says...


Oh, I see. I had the feelings it may be something like that. You are welcome.



User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 195
Reviews: 105

Donate
Tue May 03, 2016 3:50 pm
View Likes
OreosAreLife wrote a review...



Hey AliceAfternoon!
This poem touched my heart. I'm sorry you feel this way. You did a wonderful job writing this poem. I can feel the emotion this poem gives off and the visual I get saddens me.

So where is my home then?
People say "home is where your heart is"
but what do you say to someone who's heart is broken?


I think these lines ae the most touching and emotional. They really let the reader know how you feel. I love this poem. It is by far one of the best and I see nothing wwring with it. It is very personal and shows who you are and what you feel. I just wanted to also say that I do hope one day you find a place that you can call home. Overall you did a magnificet job writing this poem. Keep up the good work and I hope to read more of your work in the future.

AshleyDashley




Charm says...


Thank you so much. I've been battling with my poetry lately. I really feel like giving up and your review means a lot to me. Thank you.



OreosAreLife says...


Your Welcome!



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 213
Reviews: 20

Donate
Tue May 03, 2016 1:05 am
insertwordshere wrote a review...



Hey Alice. So when reading a poem that obviously took a lot of self reflection over time to write. It's hard to be that person that gives advice in these type of scenarios. Now I'm not saying that I won't because of course anything can get better. What I'm trying to say is that if you want to keep this poem exactly the same without changing or editing it I would understand as this poem is something special and I'm glad you shared this with all of us before you go on your hiatus. Now onto the review, in the 1st stanza you say "swinging in my swing" and I feel that the word swinging could be changed to another word that gives it more of a context or meaning as not to repeat the same word twice in a sense. Also I feel that the 1st and 2nd stanza could possibly be combined to have a better flow, but it can keep the italics to show that it's different. Now that's it for me, and I hope that this feedback was helpful. I hope that in this hiatus you can truly find yourself and learn to love poetry again whilst mending that broken heart.

Can't wait to see you write again! :)
~g1ldv




Charm says...


Thank you (:



OreosAreLife says...


Welcome! :)




Perfection is lots of little things done well.
— Marco Pierre White