12+

To my best friend...

by AkeliaTaske

To my best friend...

We've been friends for many years,

But there's still some much to say.

And through all the pain and trials,

You've made the hurt all go away.

We've talked and laughed,

And yet I still feel not good enough.

We've been friends for eight years now,

Why do I feel like some unworthy stuff?

You are so loyal, strong and careful,

How can I live up to that?

You've done everything for me,

Stood me up from where I sat.

You've saved my life, in more ways than one,

Grabbed me when I couldn't see.

You saved my life from an incoming car,

And from suicide, the death of me.

I love you, though I don't deserve you,

Can you please forgive your friend?

For being trouble and full of crap,

From your love, the troubles have been mend.

You raise me up when I am down,

And praise me when I hit the top.

We compete, but in full love,

And encourage when our plans flop.

So to my friend, my very best friend,

Who I can call my commrad.

I've questioned that Bible verse,

"A man lays down his life for his friend."

Would I do it? Would I die for you?

We both know the answer to that.

We're both so stubborn,

I think we would both in the end lie flat.

We wouldn't let each other die,

I love you far too much.

And you love me with equal passion,

Is it suprising we bicker as such?

As siblings, we argue and are stubborn,

I see we sometimes bicker.

Some have thought that from how we act,

We may be each other's sister.

And as the end draws near to our time together,

Our time in this chapter of our life.

I pray we never will drift apart,

Even through college, and maybe someday somebody's wife.

So to my best friend, I love you.

Please don't ever think I don't.

I struggle sometimes myself, 

With this horrible thing called doubt.

I'm scared, just a little bit,

But that comes with growing older.

I love you, best friend.

I love you.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:39 pm
Lib wrote a review...

Hi AkeliaTaske!

Liberty500 here for a review! Ok, first of I'd like to say that you expressed your emotions really well. (That's something that I have to work on.)

There were a few mistakes that I saw were scattered here and there.

This sentence: "But there's still some much to say." The words "some much" doesn't make sense. It would make it better if you maybe changed that sentence to: "But there's still so much to say."

The next sentence in which I saw a mistake was this: "And yet I still feel not good enough." If I say that sentence in my mind or aloud then it sounds quite awkward. You could change it to: "And yet, I still don't feel good"

The comma in between loyal and strong should be deleted in this sentence: "You are so loyal, strong and careful,"

"Stood me up from where I sat." doesn't make sense, so you might wanna change "Stood me up" to some other words.

These were the main mistakes that I found. Over all, your poem really was full of emotion and love and... Your poem was SUPERB!!! :) :D :) :D

~Liberty500

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 am
trashykawa wrote a review...

this poem's really heartfelt, and i think you perfectly managed to convey your sadness. we all love our best friends (though some of us don't have any *looking nowhere*).

there might be some lines that require editing, though. for example, where you wrote:
"Stood me up from where I sat."

i think that here you probably meant that your friend picked you up from where you fell, but actually, "stood me up" means failing to meet expectations, or to directly quote google,

"(NOT MEET) ​ to fail to meet someone you had arranged to see: He was supposed to be here at seven, so by seven thirty I began to think that he stood me up. (Definition of “stand up someone” from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)."

so, if i might suggest an alternative, some thing like, "helped me rise from where i sat"?

And, "From your love, the troubles have been mend." um, correct me if i'm wrong, but this sentence seems a little off, grammatically. not that i'm qualified to say that, but well....it just seems off. perspective, i guess. maybe, change the 'from' to 'with'. and maybe because 'mend' should've been 'mended'?

but there are parts i simply looovvee
like,
"I love you, though I don't deserve you,
Can you please forgive your friend?"

having lost a best friend of my own some time ago (mainly because being a ***), these lines feel like a plea full of hope, a world with different outcomes, of what-ifs.

and, "You are so loyal, strong and careful, How can I live up to that?" you're so right, we cant ever live up to that.

overall, this is great.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:46 am
trashykawa says...

hope you and your friend stay in touch. best friends dont give up on each other.

:)

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:29 am
AlexOfLight says...

@ZeldaisSheik and I knew each other scince first grade and then we went to different high schools. I honestly feel like we are siblings and when we were going to different schools I was a little scared about our friendship. Your poem really hit home for me.

AkeliaTaske says...

It's hard. We're no longer get going to the same school anymore, for the first time in years. I'm scared.

AlexOfLight says...

It will be alright. You can talk on the phone. You will never be able to replace her but you can pick out someone to rely on a bit. That's what I did.

AkeliaTaske says...

She's so kind, and really is the only one I rely on completely. We'll still see each other, just not as often. I will still miss her though.

AlexOfLight says...

I felt alone at my new school at first but then I met a nice girl and then we are now best friends but it will never be like the bond between Zelda and I. I still miss seeing them everyday even though I could walk to their house.

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson