z

Young Writers Society



Jackie Ray

by AdrianaConnor


This is a quick beginning for a story that I threw together in about a week. Feel free to rip it apart until it's raw and bleeding.

It was just before the first hints of color streaked their way across the sky as I tore through the harsh and rugged terrain of the Suicide Cliffs, my dirty gray sneakers pounding a familiar beat against the barren earth. I hated the way that my eyes betrayed my panic by unconsciously darting from left to right and back again, showing me the practically identical views on either side of me: the arid and rocky ground of the Suicide Cliffs expanding on both sides of me for roughly one hundred yards before succumbing to the heavily forested area that was the Stoners’ Wood, which went on for only-gods-know-how-long. I felt an eerily familiar wrenching feeling in my gut as I heard the cold howling of bloodhounds from a mile or less behind me, informing their devious masters that they were drawing nearer to their prey.

Shit.

I could feel a grimace pulling across my face as the biting autumn air stung my face, making my hair billow out three feet behind me as it blew. I could sense my blood running through my veins with the coldness of ice, could hear the erratic beating of my heart reverberating around my skull, and could feel the burning knives slipping through my ribs with every breath that I managed to gasp in. There was only one fevered thought rushing through my mind:

I’m going to die I’m going to die I’m going to die…

I suddenly realized that I could hear nothing but the pounding of my heartbeat in time with the rhythm of my sneakers against the earth, and I felt a sudden hope rise up in me. It was shattered several previous moments of life and freedom later, when I heard the yowling of the bloodhounds pick up once again, louder than ever. I felt a paralyzing fear make a liquid-like heat run through my muscles as I whipped around in a one-eighty, so that I could see behind me as I ran backwards. The scarlet eyes of the three demonic bloodhounds stood out as six sadistic lanterns in the early morning darkness; they had gained seven hundred yards or more and me, and they were drawing nearer with every passing second. I hurriedly twisted around again so that I could harden my run into a frantic sprint, feeling unwilling terror etch itself across my face as a frantic prayer formed in my mind, rash promises on the tip of my tongue.

If you let me live tonight gods give me one more hour of freedom I swear I’ll stop running fighting I’ll go back to the Abyss be a good girl do whatever daddy wants me to do no complaints I know it’s wrong hurting stealing killing but one more hour one more minute one more second please gods I promise don’t let the dogs get me don’t let the guards get me please no I’ll be daddy’s good little marauder daughter-

I suddenly realized that the edge of the Suicide Cliffs were rising up ahead of me, much closer than I had expected, and I whipped my head desperately around, my eyes flitting around to find an escape route. It was several minutes too late now, with the edge only twelve yards or more ahead of me; if I switched my course to the Stoners’ Wood, those dogs would surely intercept me midway, and then I would be done for.

I guess that you’re not on my side tonight, gods. Bastards.

I stared in horrified anticipation as the edge of the Suicide Cliffs grew closer with every step that I took, but I slowly began to realize that every time that my sneakers pounded out a new beat on the ground, more and more of my fear was washed away, replaced by a sweet and haunting indifference. I felt my thoughts become hazy as pure adrenaline took over my tired body, mechanically driving me nearer and nearer to the endless drop.

That old saying- back in the Abyss- liberation or fatality- just a fancy way of saying- freedom or death- freedom or death- freedom or death- freedom or death…?

I felt a laugh rise up in my throat, surprising me as it crept past my lips, cruelly mocking my very existence. I felt an overwhelming impulse rise up in me, and I obeyed it without logical argument, spinning around drunkenly as I approached the daunting edge of the stone overhang. I staggered around on the hard ground for a few moments, an oddly trippy feeling rising up in my mind, before I felt my sneakers catch on the last step prior to the ending of my world, steeled myself for what I was about to do, and propelled myself into empty space.

I choose- deliverance- independence- emancipation- liberation- freedom- freedom- freedom-

I felt like I had stepped into one of my nighttime trips, not one of the nightmares, but one of the rare and incredibly surreal dreams. I could feel the sparse early morning sunlight warming my skin; I could taste that the cool breeze had a bittersweet scent, like burning roses; I could see the sky enveloping me, enticing me into the clouds with its billion or more dazzling sunrise colors.

So sweet… so beautiful… like nothing in the Abyss… so gentle… so unrestrained… like nothing in the Abyss…

That was right about when my eternal descent into darkness began. I felt my eyes widen in abrupt shock as the Rush Oceans, nearly a thousand miles below me and growing closer with each passing heartbeat, sped up to meet me. I felt a wall of terror slam into me at once, but it dissipated just as quickly, to be replaced with a tired kind of sadness. I found it pitiful that I couldn’t even summon the will to scream as I tilted my head back and closed my eyes, letting the sunlight warm my face for the last time.

So… terrifying… and yet… so… peaceful…

That was when I heard his voice for the first time.

“I’ve been waiting for you, girl.”

I felt a dark shroud of peace instantly envelop my body, smothering the initial burst of shock that had burned through my veins when I first heard the voice, haunting and chilling in my mind. I hazily realized that my descent had slowed, as though I was falling through liquid sunlight itself, as I whispered three words in my mind:

“Who are you?”

The response was instant.

“Think back to the only place that you have to remember to forget, girl: think back to the only soul in this world who ever showed kindness to you.”

I could almost see the answer hanging out in the air in front of me.

That cruel… skeletal… lawless… hopeless… village… in the lowlands… the Abyss… my home.

I felt an odd tingling sensation run down my spine, and I realized that even though the voice hadn’t sounded again, it was nodding its agreement, prompting me on.

That elderly man… the storyteller… the Wolf Master… the only soul… who was ever kind… to me… Wolf Master Sinn.

I heard a chilling laugh in my mind, and I knew that I had guessed right.

“Precisely. How many of his stories do you remember, girl?”

I didn’t think that I would be able to forget any of those nightmarish stories for as long as I lived.

“All of them.”

The presence seemed satisfied.

“Then you remember the blackest and most lethal of all the gods and goddesses.”

It wasn’t a question. He knew that I knew the answer. He had probably known that all along.

“Lord Miekel.”

That coldly amused laugh was back for only a moment before the god of death and darkness proclaimed grandly:

“Call me Miek.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
239 Reviews


Points: 7829
Reviews: 239

Donate
Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:25 pm
MeadowLark wrote a review...



Hey there!

It was just before the first hints of color streaked their way across the sky as I tore through the harsh and rugged terrain of the Suicide Cliffs, my dirty gray sneakers pounding a familiar beat against the barren earth.


This sentence is long and rather awkward. Try reading it out to see where the awkwardness is. But--this is my opinion--rewrite it to something like this:

It was just before the first hints of colour streaked across the morning sky, when I tore through the harsh and rugged terrain of the Suicide Cliffs. My dirty, grey sneakers pounding a familar beat against the barren earth.

The first sentence flows more easily and you're telling the time of day. That is, I'm assuming it is morning.

I hated the way that my eyes betrayed my panic by unconsciously darting from left to right and back again, showing me the practically identical views on either side of me: the arid and rocky ground of the Suicide Cliffs expanding on both sides of me for roughly one hundred yards before succumbing to the heavily forested area that was the Stoners’ Wood, which went on for only-gods-know-how-long.


Very long sentence. It's more or less a paragraph. Split it into a few sentences ;)

I’m going to die I’m going to die I’m going to die…


Either put periods or commas between each "I'm going to die".

they had gained seven hundred yards or more and me, and they were drawing nearer with every passing second.


Change and to on ;)

If you let me live tonight gods give me one more hour of freedom I swear I’ll stop running fighting I’ll go back to the Abyss be a good girl do whatever daddy wants me to do no complaints I know it’s wrong hurting stealing killing but one more hour one more minute one more second please gods I promise don’t let the dogs get me don’t let the guards get me please no I’ll be daddy’s good little marauder daughter-


Put periods and commas in this so it's not so jumbled together.

I suddenly realized that the edge of the Suicide Cliffs were rising up ahead of me, much closer than I had expected, and I whipped my head desperately around, my eyes flitting around to find an escape route.


Split this paragraph in half or into three!

That old saying- back in the Abyss- liberation or fatality- just a fancy way of saying- freedom or death- freedom or death- freedom or death- freedom or death…?


This is rather confusing. Perhaps it's all the dashes but I'm not sure. Try and clear this up.

I staggered around on the hard ground for a few moments, an oddly trippy feeling rising up in my mind, before I felt my sneakers catch on the last step prior to the ending of my world, steeled myself for what I was about to do, and propelled myself into empty space.


Besides the fact it is a long sentence, I'm confused. Is this the part where she jumped (or fell) off the cliff? If so, I would make it more clearer to your reader.

So sweet… so beautiful… like nothing in the Abyss… so gentle… so unrestrained… like nothing in the Abyss…


What is the Abyss that she keeps going on about? Is it the name of a village or something? I always thought it was a chasm or endless dark pit. Her thoughts also seem quite messy but I suppose that mine might be too if I was falling off a cliff.

~~~~~

Description~ I love the description in this piece. You really focused on the MC's emotions. Especially her fear. However, you could have described the dogs (besides their eyes) and the landscape more. Even the sky or the ground below her as she was falling. Other than that, good job!

Story~ I like how you threw the god in their at the end. I suppose her prayer was answered ;) But I'm curious to know why she was being chased by those demonic dogs and their masters. What had she done to invoke their anger? Perhaps you should explain that so your reader isn't left so confused.

Character~ You should put more of your character's thoughts into this. Like when she first decided to jump off the cliff. She just explained the feeling inside her but she had no thoughts. Nothing going back to her father, or the people she was leaving behind back at her home. Not even a trip of guilt when she jumped over. She needs a little more devloping ;)

Overall~ A very unique story so far. I enjoyed reading it. However, you have to watch those long sentences. I didn't point them all out to you but some really drag on where a period would have been nice. I'm very intrigued now.

If you have any questions and or when the next part is up, PM me.

Meadow




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 2065
Reviews: 10

Donate
Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:06 pm
lizzytink says...



this is pretty good and all, but needs a little more detial




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon May 25, 2009 8:33 pm
RJ wrote a review...



Let me just say that it's because of people like you that make this site so wonderful! You describe things so well!! You're vocabulary is excellent! I most certainly hope you pursue a career in writing. However, as I was reading the story I was a little confused at when the character actually fell off the cliff and what was happening. I really think you could take this story somewhere. Just make sure you make things a little more clearer because I know that as I'm reading I don't like to have to go back and reread a section because I didn't quite understand it the first time. Overall it was great! I hope to read more of this enticing story in the future! :D




Random avatar

Points: 690
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat May 23, 2009 8:28 am
Elena wrote a review...



hiya!

i read your story as i was browsing the site for the first time, and it almost actually made shivers crawl up my spine! It was really good. the whole paragraphs about the girl running with the dogs after her, i would normally find boring to read, but you write it in such a describing way, that it really wasnt!

i hope to read the rest of the story!

X Elena





No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne