One Small Flame

by Mea

I flickered into being on the end of a match. As always, the hunger sprung to life inside me instantly, demanding I consume everything in sight. I was beginning to learn how to restrain it, however, and I was able to keep my mind clear this time.

The air around me was cold, colder than I was used to. I cast my senses farther, trying to get some idea of my surroundings. The hand that held me was a light yellow – also colder than the norm. It must be winter, that bleak time of cold. I could tell from the heat signatures that she was a young girl. A cold, dark blue basin curved away beneath me, and I could feel the dreaded signature of water nearby.

She moved her arm, and the sudden movement disorientated me, the world becoming a wash of reds, yellows, blues and purples until the match stopped next to a candle wick. I transferred myself onto it, relieved. The match wouldn’t have lasted much longer. The next step would have been her fingers, and I hated burning living things. I wouldn’t have had a choice, though – the hunger would have taken over, like last time. I still felt bad about that. She blew out the small part of me that was still on the match, but it caused me no pain – I had already separated my mind from it.

Soon after I had centered myself on the candle and was burning comfortably, I felt a jumble of sound waves coming from beyond a light blue wall. Someone was speaking – yelling, going by the volume. The Old Ones said that one day, I would be able to understand human speech, but at times I doubted it. All I could tell was that the speaker had a low voice, and so was probably male.

The noise certainly provoked a reaction in the girl, however. She straightened up with a jerk, her face contorting in some emotion I couldn’t quite recognize – fear or anger, I think – and turned to face the direction of the voice. She shouted something back.

He responded, sounding angrier than before. I wondered what they were arguing about.

The girl visibly deflated, turning back to me and sighing. Fear shot through me as the rush of air threatened to snuff out my fragile life, but thankfully the gust wasn’t strong enough to do any real damage. She cupped her hands around my candle and lifted gently. This time, since I was prepared and in a better position than the end of a match, it wasn’t quite as disorienting.

She exited the small room and crossed a much larger space, walking slowly, probably to make sure she didn’t drop me. A wave of heat rolled over me, and I cast my senses about for the source. I barely noticed the girl glance at the slovenly man on the couch before I fixated on the source of that blessed warmth. Fire! And not a tiny flame like me, but a proper fire, roaring and crackling, providing heat to the whole room. It would be made up of dozens of flames like me, as well as at least one Old One – it was that large.

The hunger roared to life inside of me. Every fiber of my being ached with the urge to join them, to bask in that warmth and feed. This little taste of warmth wasn’t enough – I needed more. I needed to dance with the other flames, to flicker over the logs, able to satisfy the hunger without destroying something precious. I was well aware of the damage flames could cause. If I only could join them. Then I could satiate my hunger without having to feel guilty.

The girl turned into another room, and the moment was lost. Slowly, the hunger subsided, and I could think again. She set me on a small surface next to a squishy thing I thought was called a bed, then left again, turning off the light as she went.

I was the only source of light in the room. I burned steadily for a while, enjoying the pure sensations of being a flame. Then I watched the little particles from the candle float through the room. Apparently, those particles were the reason humans lit candles - it made the air "smell" good - whatever that meant. When I tired of that, I cast my heat sense out and began quizzing myself on the names of human objects.

I was trying to remember the name of a flammable substance in a short and squat can, when I was startled out of my reverie by more sounds of arguing. This time, the girl’s higher voice mixed with the low voice of the male on the couch I had seen. Soon, they had both lost their temper, shouting so loudly the reverberations rippled through the house. I felt the sound of glass hitting a wall. One of them  must have thrown a glass bottle.

A few minutes later, the shouting stopped abruptly. The girl burst through the door of the room where I burned, slamming it behind her. She flicked the light on and sank down on the bed, her face in her hands. She was making an odd, sobbing noise, her whole body shuddering with each gasp. Salty water seemed to be leaking out of her eyes. I cast my mind about for an explanation of her behavior, and then I realized.

She was crying. That was how humans expressed sadness, I remembered. I could only assume that it was tied to the shouting match that had just taken place. I wished there was something I could do to help. Her posture of abject defeat and sorrow was heartbreaking.

She looked up and saw me, smiling sadly through her tears. She stretched out her hands, a cold light yellow, and held them close over my flame to warm them. Too close.

The hunger surged to life again inside me, demanding I take advantage of her carelessness. I yearned to leap the short distance to her hands, to burn them and use their heat to fuel myself. It raged inside of me like it always did when given the chance, an unquenchable monster.

This time, though, I struggled against it with all my might. She didn’t deserve to be burned just to give me momentary satisfaction. It was the least I could do to restrain myself. I wrestled with it, resisting the temptation to give in the base desire that had forever plagued my race, struggling to cram it down into one corner of my mind, where it could be contained.

But I did it. I had to. I couldn’t allow myself to hurt someone again because of this terrible urge. The battle was exhausting – I could feel myself slipping, moment by moment – but I forced myself to remain on the candle wick. I couldn’t let my guard down, even for a moment – if I did, it would consume me.

At last, she pulled her hands away, smiling a little more. I relaxed, relief flooding through me. I had done it. The hunger could be overcome! I might not have been able to do it every time, but I had done it once, and that knowledge filled me with hope. I didn’t need to join a roaring fire to do some good. I could restrain my instincts, and my small flame could comfort a crying girl.

-

Much later, when I had returned to that Middle Place we visited between our short lives, an Old One approached me about my achievement. He only had a few words for me.

“Well done, my friend. You have taken your first step on the path to godhood.”

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:39 am
AdjiFlex wrote a review...

AdjiFlex here for a review.

Now every time I see fire I'll think of it as a living thing, probably battling its natural urge to consume. It was a very interesting idea, making a flame the main character in a short story. I've seen this done in poetry a lot, and it often turns out to be gimmicky, but this was really a good piece - a fun read.

The flame's experience and struggle to keep itself from destroying is an interesting thing to write about. The description in the story was very good. Seeing the world from the flame's point of view was an amazing adventure. You had to have used description well to keep me reading, as there wasn't really any dialogue in the piece.

I like the fact that even when people were introduced to the story, the focus remained on the flame instead of switching to them. I didn't really find any grammatical errors to nitpick about.

The main problem I have with this story is that the flame seems to have much more experience than is possible. Its life began on the match the girl used to light the candle. When did the flame get the chance to talk to the "old one"? It isn't like the flame's life was transferred to the match from somewhere else. Its life began on the match, so I don't quite see through all that.

Good work. Keep writing!

AdjiFlex says...

#he Big Review

Pretzelstick says...

This story was absolutely amazing!I loved it! Keep on writing,meandbooks!

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:16 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy heeere! :3

I noticed this work in the short story section and, well, I wanted to review one and your title attracted me. So here I am! The ending part confused me a bit before I began thinking about it, and it seems as though you have given the flames more than just a personality. You've given them like their own circle of life, their own laws, their own paradise. Your imagination is truly wonderful to have created all this for one short story. I enjoyed this immensely, especially when he was struggling to keep his fire low and not burn the girl (funny how flames always seem to roar up when you stick your hands over them. heh).

life inside me instantly,

adverb: instantly

Slowly, however, I was

adverb: slowly

Gratefully, I transferred myself onto

adverb: gratefully

The noise certainly provoked

adverb: certainly

So this is me just going through the first few paragraphs to show you all the adverbs you have in here. There is this saying a mentor told me a while back: The road to hell is paved with adverbs. And, while he wasn't meaning that you're literally going to go to hell if you do lots of adverbs, your writing suffers. The majority of the time, adverbs are used in place of a stronger word. So in all of these cases, you have an adverb+verb pairing that says what you want to put across to the reader. In almost every case, you can insert a verb in its place, which makes your writing tighter and stronger. So, I will use a random example off the top of my head. I walked quietly. Think of the sentence and what it means. There are so many verbs you could insert to make the sentence much stronger. I crept, I tiptoed - so many verbs you could insert in the adverb+verbs's place to make the entire image and sentence tighter. Remember: if you can create an image and scene in fewer words (and yet retain the quality in the image and scene), then do it! Every time. c:

While reading through this, I actually didn't see the point of the flame being in the shape of a candle... when the young woman is walking around, flipping on lights as she goes. So what is the point of the candle when there's electric lights? What's the point of the young woman carrying the candle through the rooms, and setting it down on the table? She flipped on the light after that, anyway. So it isn't as though she wanted it for a light - or for any reason, really. It didn't make sense. While I know you needed her to want to have a candle light in her room, you need to craft a better reason for the existence of the candle. Just think about it and see how you can remedy that. :3

I couldn’t let my guard down, even for a moment – if I did, it would consume me.

This next bit will be merely my experience with the En-dash, and just me speaking in the hopes I say it correctly (I seriously need to figure out the correct terms for the dashes and all things associated). When using En-dashes or Em-dashes (that's the - or -- things), you need to make sure the flow remains. So, looking at the part above, the second half of the sentence after the En-dash, you could have just as easily began a new sentence instead of continuing it into the En-dash. Which, in my opinion, makes the sentence disjointed how you're using it. So, in my book there are two different ways of using an En-dash in the context we're looking at (abrupt sentence endings and actions in dialogue are a different matter entirely). There's the way you used it above, which is basically: I couldn't let my guard down - if I did, it would consume me - and allow the girl to blah, blah. You notice with that one, it's almost as though I have sandwiched a sentence inside another one. That's the correct way of doing it for complete sentences and the En-dash put together. The other way I know of is: I couldn't let my guard down -not like it mattered. Where the second half of it, the bit after the En-dash, isn't complete by itself and needs the first half to make it whole. I hope this isn't confusing to you, because I tend to just confuse everyone when it comes to dashes and such. xD

I thought this was a cute story, which didn't seem to be about the flame as much as the girl - and yet was still about the flame. About the flame and its story, but the girl was in the story so much and was the object of it. The focus was on her through his eyes in the story for a long while. And I enjoyed his struggle to not burn her, and just this entire little world you've built here. The individual flames and the road to godhood. Very ingenious and clever. While your style of writing is simply, you keep plenty of detail to ensure a good picture and a clear character presentation. And that is another thing I enjoyed about this piece. c:
~Darth Timmyjake

Mea says...

Thanks for the review! I will try to fix the things you said. Adverbs are definitely my weakness. XD

About the En-dash, I don't know if this is actually a rule, but I have seen it used a lot (including actually published works) to join two complete but related thoughts, similar to semicolons. (Which is why I use it in my writing.) Since semicolons, as ThereseCricket so kindly pointed out to me, distract the reader much more than En-dashes, do you think that I should continue to use the dashes, use semicolons, or try to find a conjunction that works well and use a comma?

Thanks again for the review!

TimmyJake says...

Okay, so it appears as though I was incorrect about how en-dashes couldn't join two complete but related thoughts. I looked it up, and it seems as though I was wrong. Sorry for giving you an incorrect nitpick! I found this link which told me how you were supposed to use it. I just never had before. I would suggest reading through the very short tutorial there, as it helped me a lot in my understanding. You can use whatever you like, really, since some things distract different readers. You can also use all three - spice your punctuation usage up. :D

Mea says...

No problem, and thanks! :D

Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 pm
TheSilverFox wrote a review...

What a comprehensive work, Meandbooks! I'm impressed with your depiction of the brief life of a flame - it really is thoughtful and fun. The story is a fantastic work, and the conflicts that you present are fascinating. The interior conflict the flame experiences so many times was my favorite part, with lines such as...

"As always, the hunger sprung to life inside me instantly, demanding I consume everything in sight."

"The next step would have been her fingers, and I hated burning living things. I wouldn’t have had a choice, though – the hunger would have taken over, like last time."

By defining such a conflict in the previous line, you helped to create this stunning interior conflict and added a wonderful layer of depth to your story. I had never thought of a flame in such a way - a living being, with feelings, emotions, and a life of its own. Of course, while this is purely conceptual, the idea that you presented is very creative and I deeply enjoyed it. I feel bad for this young girl, the young girl who appears to be suffering an external conflict with the man sitting on the couch. It's nice to see the positive aspect about flames, the way the flame wishes to comfort the sadness of this young girl, going beyond the hunger it so desires. It achieves its goal, and beats back the hunger that consumes him, and achieves a step to eternal peace. This sort of a resurrection is not dissimilar from Buddhist ideas, and the way you threw in the concept was fun. All in all, I'm impressed with your work, and I hope that you are able to make more contributions to this site, because I'd be more than happy to see more. Great job!

Thanks,
-TheSilverFox

Mea says...

Thanks for the review! :D

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 pm
ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Thanks for using my thread. ^^ That helps me keep track of requests, so I appreciate that.

What I have to say is basically what the other reviewers did. This was beautifully written. Not beautifully written, as if it had very little grammatical error and flowed well, but how you presented the main character. Which funnily enough... is a flame. This flame seems extremely real and human to me, which I think was your intent when writing this. It is constantly trying to resist that hungry feeling of trying to consume everything it can--to resist the temptation to burn her hands, because she put it so close to its flame. I liked how you had it struggling so hard to resist it, because it could see that the girl put her hands over its warmth for comfort, and it truly didn't want to hurt her. Strange how a flame could be such a complex character, but it is. It is a job well done.

I didn’t need to join a roaring fire to do some good. I could restrain my instincts, and my small flame could comfort a crying girl.

<3 <3 <3 I love this part.

had a low voice, and so was probably male.

I'd personally take the crossed word out. It seems to flow better to my ears.

This time, the girl’s higher voice mixed with the low voice of the male on the couch I had seen; they had both lost their temper. Later, I felt the sound of glass hitting a wall; somebody had thrown something that seemed like a glass bottle.

Whoaaah, bit of the over-dosage on semi-colons? I would suggest trying to avoid semi-colons as much as you can. Why?

1) They generally break the overall flow of the sentence. Instead of the sentence reading out all nice and smooth, it's more of a jerk than anything.
2) They don't actually look that nice. A semi-colon you stop at and have to digest it, while with a comma... you just flow right over it.

Don't get me wrong. There are places for semi-colons, and they have their charm. But in a story, I've found that it's always best to try and avoid them for the most part. Hope this makes sense. ^^

That was how humans expressed sadness, I remembered

Ohh, now I'm wondering... How does a flame express sadness? It might be a bit cool for it to say how a flame would express their sadness, versus, a human. :)

I was trying to remember the name of a highly flammable substance in a short and squat can when I was startled out of my reverie by more sounds of shouting.

Okay, when I first read this I was completely confused. After reading through it a few times, I grasped the meaning of course, but still there was that confusion. I think it would fix the problem if you placed a comma after can. It would separate those two elements of the sentence, and make it less confusing to distinguish between the two.

It raged inside of me like it always did when given the chance, an unquenchable monster.

YES, this is amazing. :3

From what I can see, there is very little grammatical mistake and this was written with care and precision. What I especially love, is how you left it open. A path to godhood? Something tells me there will be another story attached to this--at least a sequel, right? Right now, I'm mainly curious as to what a Middle Place is, what an Old One is especially, and just what on earth do you mean about path to godhood? I'm not confused by it, but curious. This truly has the potential to go somewhere amazing, and I know you can do it.

Sorry, if this review is disjoined and not much of a help. This work is just too amazing

~Cricket

Mea says...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it. I'm considering submitting this for the Literary Journal, so that's why I needed the feedback.

I'll fix the flow issues you mentioned. As for whether or not I'll continue it, I'm honestly not sure. It was a really fun idea to play around with, but I'd have to work out some more ways there can be conflict.

By "the path to godhood," I mean that there is a way for the flames/spirits/whatever to basically advance in power and understanding until they are basically a god. I haven't thought out all the details, but the story was inspired by the theme that you can control your passions and become a better person and gain more knowledge, and was partially drawn from my religious beliefs on the topic. So that's where that came from.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:50 am
AuthorL wrote a review...

Wow! I was looking to review something but LOVE this so much I'm not sure I have many points to touch on. This story was so creative and simple at the same time. I always struggle with creativity, but you seem to have it down. It really amazed me how you came up with this idea and presented it through the story. One of my favorite pieces of work I have read on here so far! Well done!

Mea says...

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:12 am
ka67 wrote a review...

Hai! I'm gonna give you a review for tonight,even though its kinda late and I should be in bed...oh well! :D

Well,lemme start with the little things. I don't see anything in terms of grammar mess ups or awkward sentences. And I may not be good at finding them but I honestly couldn't detect any so that's good! Proofreading is always amazing!

Now,onto the actual story part
I love the story, to simply put it. I think the idea is amazing and the personification is delivered really well and it blows me away how amazing the whole concept is. A little flame, having a mind and a personality and things to learn, life and emotion! It is a amazing and I love the way you think! I really enjoyed how aware the little heat was over the entire story, and how you explained it took time to learn human language, and how the fire had many of its own kind, even an Old One, making it seem so huge and majestic.

The personification of the flame was introduced and followed through flawlessly, with the little flame having a mind and emotion to not burn the girl even though she held her fingers close enough to 'deserve' it. I really do enjoy how you gave the little thing emotions and cares and worries,as well as barriers and urges. It is an amazing way of putting something so simple,such as fire, into a world that is like ours but their own. I think I explained that terribly but I don't know how to do it better! haha XD

Other than writing other parts to the story, whether it be this flame or reminiscence of an Old One, I think the story itself is perfect! I loved the shortness of it, and think it had no reason to be dragged out. I just think other parts could be added, like other adventures,learning languages, etc.

You are an amazing writers and I would love to read more! anyway, off to clean out the green room a little more! :D

Mea says...

Thank you so much! :D

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly