z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

​Just Another Suicide Story

by AbduBinSaj8


I don't know what to do. Not that I care anymore.

"It's very deep", I looked downwards and thought.

That's it. I've made up my mind. I'm going to jump.

I took a second look. Then I took a third look. Oh no, someone's watching from the other side. It's just a kid. I waved at her. She waved back at me.

What will I do? How can I say 'this'?

If dad knows that I've done something like 'this', he'll have a heart attack. And mom will kill me. The society will reject me. And I'll have nowhere to go.

How can I show my face if 'it' becomes known? 'It' means 'it'. You don't have to know further, got it?

I'll just die. Nobody will know, not even you.

"It's a hard decision, I know."

I know what she's thinking. She turned back, being surprised. I was standing at her right, a few metres away from her.

She's scared, no doubt. She's lost. She's in despair. She's in pain. You don't need to be a psychologist to see that.

The girl searched for words.

"Who are you?"

"Someone; a human; a boy, if you prefer."

"How did you know what I was going to do?"

"It's simple. Nobody looks downwards multiple times for no reason. Besides, you come here almost every night. Isn't it obvious that you're planning to do something great?"

The last line sounded corny, I know. I didn't find anything better to say.

"So, what's your decision?"

She didn't answer. Rather, she asked back, "Are you trying to stop me?"

The boy, with a smile, bluntly replied, "Nah, I just wanted to have a chat with you, that's all. I don't have anyone to talk to these days. So, I'm feeling kinda lonely."

The girl, being surprised at such a reply, asked, "Seriously, you're not here to stop me?"

"Why would I? It's your life; you can do whatever you want with it."

I was taken aback by his 'brutally honest' response. He's freaking me out. His gaze was cold. His voice was calm. And his pace was composed and calculated. He slowly came closer to me and asked, "But won't you have some time to spare for me?"

What am I going to say? He's a total stranger to me.

"I don't know. But.... I think I can give you some time."

"Thank you very much, you see," he proceeded to point at the sky and asked, "Isn't the weather charming today? It's a bit cold, though. Just look at the moon, shining with all it's glory unraveled."

Yes, today's a full moon. I can see that.

"If you look closely, you'll be able to see different things on the moon."

What's he saying? I thought he was going to say something important. Oh right, he said that he 'just wanted to have a chat' with me. Is that what he meant?

The girl kept silent while the boy continued to talk all by himself. The situation continued fo quite some time, until the boy came to realize that he was engaged in nothing but a vague soliloquy.

"Oh, I'm extremely sorry. It looks like I've been bothering you."

Extending his arm towards the edge of the roof in a very polite manner, the boy said, "Please go ahead."

The girl was utterly shocked to see the emotional bluntness of the boy. Is he unable to read the situation or what?

The boy said with a cute smile, "Go ahead. I won't bother you anymore."

The girl struggled to find a word to say.

"What? You mean -"

"Or rather," the boy said, "Let me finish the job for you."

Saying this, he produced a sharp knife from beneath his t-shirt. His face changed into a devil's face. With a villainous smile he said, "Stand still, this will only hurt a little."

This is a report from The Daily Gujantor, translated from Bangla,

"... Police suspect that the incident might have been a suicide. Primary investigations reveal that the girl was planning the suicide for a long time. According to the neighbors, she was acting abnormally since the last couple of weeks. She used to frequent the roof since the last month, mostly during night. However, it remains a mystery as to why no one noticed her potentially suicidal behavior all this time."

An elderly gentleman was reading out this text, loud enough for her almost blind wife to hear. Sipping a cup of tea, the old man asked nobody in particular, "What drives them to kill themselves in this fashion?"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 210
Reviews: 7

Donate
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:14 am
View Likes
sunnyduckling wrote a review...



wow i was confused in the beginning, but from reading it. this is really good, i love how the boy was so cold, and of course i get why he was just try to make her comfortable. but also the way she reacted was somewhat strange. maybe this is just me, but i feel if i was planning on doing that, any type of interaction would feel great. to know that your wanted, and there are people out there that are also alone, and don't wanna be here anymore. if you were to meet them you could both help each other. but i do really love this story it was great.




AbduBinSaj8 says...


Thanks for the review. I'm glad that you liked it.



User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 421
Reviews: 129

Donate
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:31 pm
View Likes
yosh wrote a review...



Wow! Very interesting! I don't have much to say about this, since it's pretty good, so I'll make this a short review.

I don't know what to do. Not that I care anymore.

"It's very deep", I looked downwards and thought.


There is a confusion between past and present tense here. Also, you used quotes, but you said that it said "Thought". Proper quoting for thinking would be bolding or italics.

If dad knows that I've done something like 'this', he'll have a heart attack. And mom will kill me. The society will reject me. And I'll have nowhere to go.


This is a bit confusing. Is the PoV just not sure what suicide is? Because technically, the PoV's mom cannot kill a dead person. The PoV won't have anywhere to go, yes, but he's dead. It might be intentional, but I just wanted to point it out.

I know what she's thinking. She turned back, being surprised. I was standing at her right, a few metres away from her.

She's scared, no doubt. She's lost. She's in despair. She's in pain. You don't need to be a psychologist to see that.


At this point, you haven't shown whether this person is a boy or not. It is unproper pronoun use. You should try to use some more clarity here.

An elderly gentleman was reading out this text, loud enough for her almost blind wife to hear. Sipping a cup of tea, the old man asked nobody in particular, "What drives them to kill themselves in this fashion?"


Very nice ending. I love how you end it! It's very fitting.

Anyways, I hope you're satisfied with this review!

-Yoshi (Otherwise known as yOsHI)




AbduBinSaj8 says...


Thank you very much for the review. Actually, this story is an experimental story, meaning that I'll be trying out different new techniques and receive reviews on them. For example, I've tried out abrupt PoV changes (I know what she's thinking...) which you have found to be confusing. As for "If dad knows...", it's a screw-up for sure. In this part, I've tried to imply that the girl is committing suicide because she has done something abominable. Looks like the way I tried to deliver the message to the readers didn't work out.
Thank you very much for your time. It was a very helpful review. I highly appreciate it. :)



yosh says...


You're welcome!




I didn't know beards could do that ;)
— ShadowVyper