Reconstruction after the civil war

by 21gmu

I am a republican congressman and think that Reconstruction is a failure. I am a supporter of Abraham Lincoln as well as a congressman representing the Union state of Ohio. However, although I have the full intent of supporting Abraham Lincoln, his plan for reconstruction was incredibly lenient towards the south. I have not the slightest doubt that Congress should have created the plan for reconstruction, rather than president Abraham Lincoln. I find it evident that the south should not be permitted to send their representatives to congress or rejoin the country unless meeting strict requirements. I find myself very concerned with conserving the civil rights of freed slaves and seem to find it as my purpose. Punishment is just as important as protection, however. Having had led the rebellion against the United States, confederates who were officers in the army, without a doubt, deserve definite punishment. As a radical republican, my main concern is protecting newly freed slaves and I am concerned over the failures of reconstruction taking place in our country.

Reconstruction began ruining the country when Lincoln's ten percent plan failed us all. Lincoln may be a trustworthy person and a loyal president, but that doesn't make it right for him to make a disaster out of the country. It's ridiculous that Lincoln managed to stay so calm and lenient towards the south. Southerners should be treated like flies, kept under careful watch, but swatted if they cause a problem. They should be forced to follow strict requirements, but under Lincoln's plan only ten percent of a state's voters had to swear loyalty to be returned a rightful spot in the union. If only ten percent of a state were to swear loyalty, for all you know the vast majority of the state may not be loyal. In this way, the state could cause issues once back in the union and the southerners would cause problems. As much as I have hatred towards the south, we can let them back in, but not in the way Lincoln is doing so. We have to be much more careful. With Lincoln's reconstruction plan, it barely managed to reconstruct the union and only gave southerners an easy way back into the union without their true loyalty and it raised fear because all the southerners were going to do was cause problems. While Lincoln's ten percent plan may not have been effective, the black codes were also failing reconstruction.

The black codes have taken us a step backwards from all we've accomplished. It's ridiculous that southerners are still desperate for slavery. In result, they established a terrible system of near slavery that only ruins everything. It has a negative impact on African Americans, whom are never able to shape their own lives and truly experience freedom. As a radical republican, I feel the black codes detrimental to my mission for success and civil rights. Several of the black codes include not being allowed to preach religion unless given special permission, not being allowed to sell, trade, or buy products, and not being allowed to own their own property. All of which are taking away basic rights that African Americans deserve. The black codes definitely have the opposite affect that I would imagine reconstruction to have. It only influences the failure of reconstruction. In addition to the reconstruction era ruining our nation with the black codes, it also led to the Compromise of 1877.

The compromise of 1877 ended reconstruction, but it also ended civil rights. It settled the disputes over the presidential election and placed Rutherford B. Hayes as president after Ulysses S. Grant, whom promised a lot. I felt incredibly hopeless and powerless as it occurred. It basically ended everything for the radical republicans and our beliefs. It means that the federal government no longer oversaw the state government. Regarding my specific concerns over the rights of freedmen, it really hurt reconstruction which was supposed to rebuild the nation. However, the compromise of was hurting the nation and certainly not rebuilding it. It harmed civil rights and left radical republicans powerless. Now tell me, how is that reconstructing the nation?

In conclusion, I would consider reconstruction a failure. There are in fact, positive impacts of reconstruction. However, the negative impacts outweigh the positive impacts. The negative impacts are also more of value and affect the nation far more. From my personal stance for civil rights, I can only see issues that cause harmful outcomes on reconstruction. Lincoln's ten percent plan was being overly lenient towards the south whom barely deserved our respect in the first place, the black codes threatened African Americans in unimaginable ways, and The Compromise of 1877 hurt radical republicans and basically destroyed civil rights. I am incredibly outraged with the results of reconstruction and how it failed to assist us in reestablishing the nation.

Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there! My knowledge of America is lacking (to put it nicely) so I won't be able to help much in the facts department. I did have some thoughts come to mind as I read, though, so here they are. And I know that this isn't 'you' speaking, but I'll go with that anyway. :P

I am a republican congressman and think that Reconstruction is a failure.
I think it's good that you started out by stating who you and what you believe. That way, if someone really doesn't like the fact that you're (for example) a republican congressman, they can stop reading instead of getting to the end and feeling as though they've wasted their time. It also helps the reader connect with this piece and your opinions.

Lincoln may be a trustworthy person and a loyal president, but that doesn't make it right for him to make a disaster out of the country.
Though there's obviously going to be a lot of bias in this, it's good that you look at both sides and gives facts to support your opinions.

Several of the black codes include not being allowed to preach religion unless given special permission, not being allowed to sell, trade, or buy products, and not being allowed to own their own property.
It's great that there's facts in here (as mentioned in previous point). They ensure the reader that you're not being irrational and your judgement isn't clouded by your own beliefs.

[b]There are in fact, positive impacts of reconstruction. However, the negative impacts outweigh the positive impacts.[b]
A nitpick I have is that you repeat words a lot. This is good to an extent, but can become tedious. Look at the above sentence. Impacts is used a lot. Also, 'reconstruction' is a little over-used in my opinon.

That's all from me! I hope this helped.

crobbins wrote a review...

Hey, crobbins here for a review!

Not gonna lie, I do not know as much about the civil war (or this aspect) as you obviously do. So, with that in mind, I am just going to brush the surface of the piece.

I love that you are writing this from a radical republican perspective. This makes the piece more personal, considering there is only so many ways a reader can relate to a civil war piece. This choice made the piece more compelling for me to read, even though I am unfamiliar with some concepts in here.

"It's ridiculous that Lincoln managed to stay so calm and lenient towards the south. Southerners should be treated like flies, kept under careful watch, but swatted if they cause a problem." What a GREAT analogy. I find literary devices like these a great way to engage a reader, and make them understand difficult concepts. It surely helped me understand the piece's perspective!

I also think you proved your point well. You included many examples along the way proving reconstruction was a failure while managing to keep your perspective almost flawless. I also could find no spelling or grammar/formatting issues! Kudos!

Overall, nice job! I love this piece, and I would love to read more of your work!

-crobbins

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— -Apple Inc.