Perfect

by ractavia

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

It was a perfect summer day. Too perfect in my mind, at least. And there she was. Perfect yellow string bikini. Perfect tan. Perfect blue-green eyes. Perfect long brown hair that carressed her ass. Perfect every thing. I mean, I couldn't help myself. She was teasing me, from the time our eyes met and she gave me that wayward smile, to the time it all fell apart. But even before then, it was so perfect. I guess. Maybe that was the lust talking though. Maybe that's why it ended up the way it did. I mean, it wasn't MY fault that she was always tempting me. It was all her fault. Every last bit of it.

Right? I mean, she's the one who talked her parents into letting me whisk her off to the forbidden part of the resort. It was all her fault! And now, it's even worse. Now she's completely gone. That perfect day ruined. Ruined under lust. Under everything I thought I would never end up becoming. Under the monster that hid deep within my soul.

We had gone out like we were planning. I guess she didn't expect me to actually take her to the forbidden part of the resort, she was much more resourceful than that, wasn't she? The sand was white, and the sky was clear and the ocean was a bright blue. That was in the afternoon. Then the two sun chairs were no longer being used, and the towel under us became rumpled. And she then let me in.

Only, I didn't stop when she asked. And she begged, and I forced myself on top, I made her struggle. All because of that yellow bikini and those eyes starving for attention. It was easy. Fuck her, then leave. But once I started going and she started screaming and crying, her perfect blue-green eyes turning red, it was too much. Way too much. The moment, at the time, seemed perfect. Perfect sex at the sunset on the beach. The umbrella shielding us from the rain that might pour down.

But she didn't want it. She would have no part in it. So I broke a beer bottle on her head. She was only knocked out, still breathing though. I mean, it really wasn't my fault. She should've just let me do what I wanted! She shouldn't have teased me in that yellow bikini and the smile that led me so wayward. She shouldn't have trusted me. Because now, here I sit, covered in her blood as her last breath escapes her perfect, plump lips and her heart beat slowly stops.

I only wanted a little fun. I mean, I didn't expect anything else to happen. She drove me crazy. She had me begging for her body to be against my own delicate skin. And for what? The white sand is covered in her blood. The sun was slowly starting to rise. Soon it would be a police frenzy, the girl who went missing. But, for now, it's just me and her sitting under the white umbrella and staring off into that bright blue ocean, towels buried under the sand, and her cold hand interlaced with mine. Maybe I was crazy, and maybe I am crazy, but for now, although she's dead, it's perfect.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 pm
bullhead21 wrote a review...

I like this piece! It has several dimensions to it but I think it’s more of a satire. First of all, I love the choppy complex sentences in the first paragraph and throughout the story because it highlight’s the narrator’s delusional state of mind. Also the rhetorical questions portray his insanity and how he has lost contact with reality and can’t comprehend his morals. The ending shows more about the narrator because he has gladly accepted the fact that she is dead and he fine with it but he still remains calm thus answering the question if he is insane and yes he’s definitely insane!

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 am
MilesGrayson wrote a review...

Hello Ractavia,
I must say wow, this is a big leap from the last short story I read by you.
The first paragraph is all choppy, with a lot of fragmented sentence but I'm sure that this is suppose to show how crazy and unstable the narrator actually is. When I first heard blood, I had just thought she was on her period... XD But in the end she ended up dead? This seemed like a huge jump from the bottle being smashed on her head. Maybe just clarify how the whole death thing happened. Hearing the narrator explain it would give me a better sense of how insane he really is.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 am
dogs wrote a review...

"Too perfect in my mind at least. And there she was"

Hello there Ractavia, Dogs here with your review. Ok, I like how you start with the "too perfect" bit from the narrator, it gives us a small snipit of what his character is going to be like. Couple quick things here though, you should try to never start a sentence and especially not a fragment sentence with "and." Also, if you can avoid using a fragment sentence in your writing do so. Finally, this seems like such a huge on the dot turn of thought. Because you have the inner monologue from the narrator and than BOOM there she was, maybe describe her walking into somewhere. Just to make that transition a little smoother.

"But even before than. It was so perfect I guess"

Ok, again the fragment sentences, you're really throwing a lot of them in your writing. Try to blend them just to make your writing smoother. So put a comma there instead of a period.

"And now it's even worse. Now she's completely gone"

Wait, back up here. You never described her leaving and you just described seeing her and than POOF with a pop of unseen smoke she disappears? It's a little confusing, again use a comma instead of a period, also don't start this sentence with "and" if you can avoid it.

I like it when you describe the white sand and the ocean blue, that's some good imagery you have here. Maybe try adding that style of writing to the rest of your piece.

"but she didn't want it. She would have no part in it."

Ok for firstly, you know what I'm gonna say here. Comma it up my friend! Also, at this point I am so confused because didn't you just say the narrator had sex with the girl? And now you're saying that "she didn't want it." Not sure how this is jumping around.

"although she's dead"

Woah Woah Woah. Back way up here, you just said that you broke a beer bottle on her head and that she was knocked out but still breathing. Now just kaboof she starts bleeding and dies. There are some serious plot gaps in this piece. You have some nice imagery and descriptions, interesting way of playing off the fact that it was all the innocent teasing girl's fault. But definitely try to clarify your point so the reader isn't so confused. Let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 am
Trident wrote a review...

Hi ractavia, here are my thoughts on how to improve this:

Right now, we have this juvenile Lolita-type character who feels completely unsympathetic. Unsympathetic! How can we sympathize with that?

Well, as a narrator, we should at least be empathetic, and to try to understand how the narrator feels. And you even have those elements in here: the explanations and rationalizations. But the narrator is so dense and foolish that any sort of rapport we might establish with him is quickly eviscerated. With Nabokov's character, the man was extremely intelligent and knew exactly what deep down he was doing. But the evil inherent in it never quite translated back to him.

The girl is also this completely archetypal object. And while that may be the narrator's m.o. I think it would do well for us to see the objectification in action rather than him simply talking about a yellow bikini. He must make that yellow bikini his obsession.

This is all really tough to speak about and this piece is very daring for trying what it does. You've certainly hit that creepy factor, but I found myself entirely bored during the whole thing. It's not quite convincing enough. It's awkward talking about making pedophilia and rape "more real", but I think if it's handled trivially, it really detracts from the actual acts as human barbarism.

Lastly, I think it would be important to show that this narrator is an individual who does his own thing differently from others like him. Right now he could be a cardboard cutout of any molester-type that walks the streets. He's not unique. Imagine how much thought was put into characters such as Hannibal Lecter. He was so unique and horrifying that some in the audience even began to sympathize with him! Same with Nabokov's Humbert Humbert and that is where the true power of the novel lies.

How can we empathize with this sickness, indeed?

A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases...
— John Keats