z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Beautiful

by SpanishFlower


When I see you 
love is true .
Happy thoughts come back
 to you.

Beautiful with soft tan skin,
blue bright eyes,
 And  light blonde hair,
to cuddle aside.

You are perfect 
clean and crisp.
hold me tight 
tell secrets every night. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
862 Reviews


Points: 29096
Reviews: 862

Donate
Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 am
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hi there, SpanishFlower. You've left a few reviews on my works, so I decided to check out some of your stuff!

Here is my honest opinion. It's filled with good intentions.

While you use images, you're really only telling us that this person is perfect. It's okay to think that, but it makes for rather vanilla poetry. I'm assuming that this person is a crush. If you are around a person a long enough time with enough relationship, you realize that the person isn't perfect.

I do appreciate how you focus on the other person. Many love poems have the flaw of the author focusing too much on their own feelings. Kudos.

As it is, this poem is quite saccharine. You need less cute and more beautiful if you're going to call your poem that. The way we add beauty with words is most easily done through simile and metaphor.
Instead of describing this guy in the second stanza, you should compare him to things. Or compare his features to things. For example, you could say something like (you should find your own image, this is just an example), "your hair is a summer breeze / colored with sunlight / and dandelions in overgrown lawns." See how you can feel the image?

Your rhyme scheme throughout the poem is inconsistent. I'm not a fan of rhyme to begin with, and I would consider rewriting this poem without rhyme so you can choose any words you want. Don't let the rhyme scheme control your vocabulary. Ever.

You only describe this other person physically. But what is he like? Is he mischievous? Serious? The class clown? I want to know the other side of this person.

I hope this review was helpful. Happy writing!




User avatar
376 Reviews


Points: 16552
Reviews: 376

Donate
Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:47 am
Trident wrote a review...



Hi SpanishFlower, this poem is nice, but I will give you a little advice on how I think you can make it better:

When I see you
love is true .
Happy thoughts come back
to you.


I like those first two lines! While I wouldn't normally suggest that you talk about "love" in a way that doesn't really give us a picture, there are times that it is okay. But you do sort of include an image there, with the person looking at the other person. So I think they are just fine, and the rhyme is good.

What I don't really like are the last two lines here. It's kind of boring and overly nice and happy. You don't want your poems to be filled with really over-the-top niceness because it feels fake to many people. It is cute overload. Plus these two lines don't paint any pictures at all, so it is hard to imagine exactly what the readers are supposed to do with that information.

Beautiful with soft tan skin,
blue bright eyes,
And light blonde hair,
to cuddle aside.


It is good that you want us to imagine the person that is beautiful in the poem, but with all of these details, it almost feels like you are simply telling us a story instead of writing a poem. If you want to tell us these things, perhaps you can compare them to something else? Don't be afraid to use metaphors! They make poetry so much more fun, and isn't it more fun to imagine something in a way you have never thought about it before?

You are perfect
clean and crisp.
hold me tight
tell secrets every night.


The first two lines of this are also somewhat boring. What does "perfect" even mean? It doesn't tell us anything about the person and who is truly perfect anyway? The word "perfect" doesn't usually belong in poetry because it is an easy word to use, but it doesn't help give us any real details about what it describes.

The words "clean" and "crisp" are a bit odd here. While "clean" tells us a little, it is strange to me because you are talking about the person the narrator loves. Is being "clean" really that important enough of a detail that the narrator has to mention it? And with "crisp" it is also strange. What does it mean for a person to be "crisp"? And even if you are trying to use it as a phrase, "clean and crisp", well I think you are trying to make this person seem perfect again, and I have already explained why that is a bad adjective in poetry.

You can use "hold me tight", but it should be saying something. Right now it feels like you just have it in your poem because you didn't know what else to say.

However, I absolutely love the line "tell me secrets every night"! (I think you wanted "me" in there.) It is the best line of your whole poem because it paints us a picture and it tells us a lot about the people in the poem in five small words. Now the readers' minds are imagining all kinds of things. Are they bad secrets or silly secrets? Do they tell them because they are vulnerable? Or maybe they trust that person completely?

See how many thoughts rushed through my head because of that line? That sort of reaction is exactly the kind you want...in each of your lines if you can!

Nice job on the poem, I hope you continue to work on it. Please feel free to message me if you want me to explain anything further.




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 296
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:12 am
LifeUnknown says...



So this was a cute poem. It was pretty good. The only critiques I have are small.

The first one is about this stanza:

"When I see you
love is true .
Happy thoughts come back
to you."

I'm not sure if the spacing was on your part or the websites. But are the lines:

"Happy thoughts come back
to you."

Supposed to be spaced like that? If you did that on purpose then I think that you should have done it like this:

Happy thoughts,
come back to you.

And the second and last thing is wording in a line of this stanza:

"Beautiful with soft tan skin,
blue bright eyes,
And light blonde hair,
to cuddle aside."

Oh and some spacing as well.

The wording in this line:

"blue bright eyes,"

Instead of that why don't you try:

bright blue eyes,

Well that's it, just make sure some of the spacing is actually intentional.

If you have questions about this review, just ask me.

-LifeUnknown





if ya mention chickens, i have to show up, that is the law.
— alliyah