z

Young Writers Society



Being Claimed

by FantasyWriter15


We all are capable of good or evil, simply by our own choices. But with me, I don't know what to choose, the time nears, but I am stuck between the two choices. Either one means hurting someone I care about.

How can I choose when I know the stakes of choosing wrong are grave?

There is a thin line between good and evil, but I'm not sure of the way I'm going to fall, at least not yet.



***

Funerals, they're an inevitable part of life, but we all hate them. Nobody wants the tears and the pain that comes with it, yet we can't avoid them. I thought about this as I gently placed the white carnation on the gleaming dark brown coffin. Tears that I refused to let fall stung behind my eyes. I would remain strong, for my family. My little brother and sister, for my mother.

I know that everyone was expecting me to break down, that meltdown that would come eventually, but so far it hasn't. People were giving me sidelong glances, hugs, and their condolences. I didn't hear a word they said to me. I could barely comprehend anything beyond the fact that I was trying not to cry.

I looked at the picture sitting next to the closed coffin and fresh grief racked through my body, making my efforts not to cry almost completely futile. That wasn't going to happen, not now.

I had looked down from the picture, but now my eyes went back at the man staring at me, smiling his famous smile. Dad. I looked a lot like him if I wanted to admit it to myself. From my straight, light brown hair, to my bright green eyes that seemed to glow.

I felt a tug on my right hand, and looked down into the tear-filled eyes of Mason, my younger brother.

“I miss Daddy.” Tears fell from his eyes, making his face shine with the wetness.

I bent down and hugged him to me, and whispered into his ear, “I know, I miss him too.”

I thought of all the things he would miss out on. Seeing me graduate, walking me down the aisle, meeting his grandchildren, or mom's favorite joke, sitting on the front porch with a shotgun when I brought my first boyfriend home to meet them.

Fresh tears stung around my eyes, and I blinked them away, my hand still on my little brother's shoulder. He was shaking slightly with the crying he was doing.

Mom was sitting down in the front row, where people were lined up to see her, and give her their condolences. She was crying her eyes out, and I hated to see her like this. Crying, and nothing I could do to comfort her.

How do you comfort someone who just lost their husband in a car crash? I knew she was expecting me to break down any minute now. Maybe she was too lost to notice anything else around her.

I picked up Mason and sat down next to Mom, with him sitting in my lap. The services went on, and we sang sad songs, and there was words from a preacher. I watched this all go on, but I never sang a word, never listened to anything but my own thoughts spinning around and around in my head. Maybe I was broken, maybe my breakdown wasn't going to be external, but internal.

Everyone in the church got up, and walked out the doors, to their cars where they would follow the hearse to the graveyard. I got in my own car, by myself, and started the engine. For the first time all day, a lone tear slipped from my hold.

I wiped it away and cranked up the radio, trying to drown out my own thoughts. One minute it was blaring some rock song, and the next it was playing Just a Dream, by Carrie Underwood.

Growling, I turned off the radio, I didn't need this right now. I just needed to drive and not think about where I was going. I turned with the other cars, filing into the tiny gravel parking lot. Turning off the car and running a hand through my hair, I stepped out into the bright sunlight of midsummer.

I went to join my Mom under the shady cover of an awning. I sat down and pulled Mason into my lap where he curled up, putting his face in my hair.

More words, more tears from everyone around me. I wanted this to be a dream. I wanted to wake up tomorrow and know that none of this was real.

But as the coffin was lowered into the ground and everyone was allowed to throw a handful of dirt on top of it, I knew that this was no dream.

And that's when I saw him, the figure in black staring at me from about ten feet away. He gave a half smile, then with a wink, he disappeared into nothing.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:02 pm
Renloverlol says...



Wow, this sounds really cool. This is a lot better and different then the other angel stories I have read. Keep going! I'm excited for the next part.




Random avatar

Points: 517
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:53 am
kasimkaey wrote a review...



I really enjoyed this piece...except for the starting. It felt a bit weirdly philosophical and so, I was expecting like a moral at the end and when that moral never came, I wondered why it was there. It just felt to me like it didn't need to be there and, that if it was removed, it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I really liked the end part. I was wondering where the whole evil thing would come into and then BAM, weird guy at the end. I did wonder why though...but I guess that's something you'll expand on in the future.

I think the only part that struck out at me that made me go "huh" a little was the description of your main character. When you say that you looked like your dad - that description was a little jarring because it felt like you had stuffed so much description into such a small sentence, it didn't make sense. Also, the part where you're in the car and you name the song and the singer who sings it...felt like you were name dropping an awful lot there. But apart from that, it was a really good piece. You managed to convey the emotions of your main character, the way she didn't want to cry. I understood exactly where she was coming from.

All in all, well done.

Kasim.




User avatar
376 Reviews


Points: 16552
Reviews: 376

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:44 am
Trident wrote a review...



Hi FantasyWriter15, here are a few of my thoughts on your piece:

I actually didn't really think that the small beginning section was necessary. It tries to get all philosophical, but there isn't a very poignant or important message in it. You try to get something out of it when you say you hurt someone either way, but even that is not enough to justify keeping it. It can be cut and it wouldn't matter a bit.

Besides, your first line about the funerals is so much more powerful at the beginning.

I thought about this as I gently placed the white carnation on the gleaming dark brown coffin.


From my straight, light brown hair, to my bright green eyes that seemed to glow.


You try to cram too much description in these sentences. Take your time and describe things as they come, not all at once.

How do you comfort someone who just lost their husband in a car crash?


I rather like this line, it sort of distances the main character from the whole event while getting us inside her head. It is something that someone would actually think, even if it is about their mother.

One minute it was blaring some rock song, and the next it was playing Just a Dream, by Carrie Underwood.


This is a bit of name-dropping. I would just say something along the lines of how the narrator enjoyed listening to Carrie Underwood on the radio. Otherwise it's this forced thing.

But as the coffin was lowered into the ground and everyone was allowed to throw a handful of dirt on top of it, I knew that this was no dream.


You don't explain that she is standing over her father's grave before this sentence. It was a little confusing.

And that's when I saw him, the figure in black staring at me from about ten feet away. He gave a half smile, then with a wink, he disappeared into nothing.


Okay we know something others in the story don't. But this was a little too convenient for me. I would like some reference to it earlier. Like she notices something she hadn't before. Something of her father's was out of place. Because having that suspicion that everything isn't what it seems makes this scene much more powerful than simply just having the scene by itself.

You have some good description, just make sure that you don't weigh everything down too much. Every motion should be justified, either to advance the plot or to characterize. Otherwise it doesn't belong. Happy writing!




User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 10056
Reviews: 92

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:38 am
Wherethewindgoes wrote a review...



I really like the beginning section. It gives an ominous-sort of feel to the story, with the threat of the main character becoming evil lurking throughout the story. Also, it sort of gives a preview of the adventure to come.
I have a few suggestions, mostly just grammatical:

But with me, I don't know what to choose, the time nears, but I am stuck between the two choices.
How can I choose when I know the stakes of choosing wrong are grave?


This sentence should be broken up with a period or semi-colon after "choose". Also, the use of the word "choice" or "choose" seems kind of repetitive. You might want to try something such as "paths" and "take" or "pick" or "decide" for variety.

There is a thin line between good and evil, but I'm not sure of the way I'm going to fall, at least not yet.


I really like this line. It lends to the ominous feel of the story, with the possibility of becoming evil looming.

Funerals, they're an inevitable part of life, but we all hate them.


The first comma should either be a semi-colon or colon, I think.

My little brother and sister, for my mother.


Here there should probably be either a "for" before "My little brother and sister" or no "for" before "my mother."

I know that everyone was expecting me to break down, that meltdown that would come eventually, but so far it hasn't.


"I know" and "so far it hasn't" are in present tense, while the rest of the story is in past. Make sure to stay consistent with tense.
Also, the phrase "that meltdown that would come eventually" is a bit confusing. Perhaps change it to "the meltdown would come eventually" (in which case the comma after it would be changed to a semi-colon or period) or "to break down in that meltdown that would could eventually, but hadn't so far."

I looked a lot like him if I wanted to admit it to myself.


This sentence should probably have a comma. It could also be combined with:

From my straight, light brown hair, to my bright green eyes that seemed to glow.


Mom was sitting down in the front row, where people were lined up to see her, and give her their condolences.


The second comma isn't necessary in this sentence.

I picked up Mason and sat down next to Mom, with him sitting in my lap.


The comma here isn't necessary, either.

The services went on, and we sang sad songs, and there was words from a preacher.


I think that should be "there *were* words from a preacher."

Everyone in the church got up, and walked out the doors, to their cars where they would follow the hearse to the graveyard.


This sentence, I think, should be broken up. Perhaps something such as "Everyone in the church got up and walked out to their cars. From there they would follow the hearse to the graveyard."

Turning off the car and running a hand through my hair, I stepped out into the bright sunlight of midsummer.


I think the word "after" should be added to the beginning of the sentence, since all of this is not happening at once.

And that's when I saw him, the figure in black staring at me from about ten feet away. He gave a half smile, then with a wink, he disappeared into nothing.


I think the phrase "and that's when I saw him" sort of takes away from the story. Maybe something like "I froze. Standing about ten feet away and staring directly at me was a figure in black. He gave a half smile and then, with a wink, disappeared into nothing." Something like that might make it more dramatic.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. The beginning part makes me look forward to the rest of the story and the choice the character has to make. Good luck with the rest!





Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi