The Magnificent mansion (Chapter three)

by dogs

Madame- Mrs.

Mademoiselle- Ms.

Monsieur- Mr.

Merci- thankyou

au revoir- good bye.

Oui- Yes (pronounced wi)

Happy reading everyone :)

Jacque Leffere sighed and looked at his pocket watch, 11:03 exactly. Bridge had never interested Jacque, or any sort of gambling for that matter. Jacque sat at a table of four with Cubilla, Lucinda, and Dr. Roberts while Alice, Kurtis, and Lyla sat at the couch in front of the fire talking quietly. Jacque turned his attention back to the table and looked as his hand. He didn’t quite understand the game but he knew well enough that each player gets 13 cards and the first person to play a card is called playing the lead. The person clockwise to whoever played the lead must play a card of the same suit if they have one, and if not they play something called a “trump” where they play a different suit. If they play a “trump” then the next person must the same suit of the “trump” unless they don’t have that suit in which case another “trump” is played and so on and so forth. The winner wins a “trick” if they have either the highest card of the same suit if all the cards were the same suit, or the highest card of the trump. There was some point system involved was far beyond Jacque.

Lucinda led by playing a seven of hearts. Next Cubilla smiled smugly playing an Ace of hearts, the highest heart you could play. Unless some one trumps Jacque was going to lose even more of his money, even though he was a light bidder it didn’t matter, he lost anyways. Jacque looked back down at his hand. Damn! He thought, he had one heart left, a six and that just wasn’t going to cut it. He sighed playing his six of hearts and Cubilla beamed as she reached forward to gather her money that lay in a pile at the middle of the table.

“Ah, ah, ah! I still haven’t played my card” Dr. Roberts smiled slyly as he lay down the last card in his hand. The ace of spades, he had trumped Cubilla’s trick and reached forward and dragged the money to his side. Lucinda leapt in joy as Cubilla sulked.

“Oh darling! Marvelous simply marvelous! Building up dear old Cubilla’s hopes” Lucinda exclaimed as she smiled smugly at Cubilla who was glared coldly back. “Better luck next time honey” she winked and pranced back to her chair.

“Oh pooh, well your right Lucinda. Better luck next time” Cubilla scowled and pulled out a handful of shillings and throwing them on the table and crossing her arms, giving Lucinda a frigid glare. Lucinda snorted and flipped her hair back dramatically, looking stubbornly over at Dr. Roberts who, reading his wife’s mind, took two more handfuls of shillings from his checkbook and placed on the table, paying in for himself and Lucinda. All three of them looked back at Jacque with high tension hanging in the air. Jacque got up from his chair.

“No merci, I think I’m going to take a short break” Jacque smiled respectfully and walked over to the couch where Lyla, Alice, and Kurtis were talking. Alice sat in a single large armchair while Lyla laid uncomfortably close to Kurtis who was talking about his most recent book he had published in America.

“Yes, you see the importance of writing a murder mystery comes not in the suspense and the intensity that you drive into the reader, but rather keeping your reader guessing. Lead them down one path and then completely change direction. Some people say that the true mysteries are the one’s where you already know the killer and the mystery is figuring out what happened. I disagree!” Jacque sat down at the couch next to Lyla who turned and smiled politely.

“Pardon Madame and mon…” Jacque stopped himself as Kurtis gave him a hard look, as he was about to say “monsieur”. Jacque corrected himself “Kurtis, but there is a spot open at the bridge table if either of you care to play. Madame Alice?”

“Oh heavens no! I can’t stand that game! Although I don’t understand why Marquez went to bed. He loves this game! Never misses it on Friday nights, and it goes until well after midnight,” Alice stood up from her armchair “I’m going to go check on him.”

“How strange that is Madame, au revoir,” Jacque said as Kurtis stood up.

“I’m going to go join the bridge game, please excuse me” he got up and kissed Lyla’s hand who blushed in return.

“Oh, be careful Kurtis” Jacque advised. Kurtis gave him a puzzled look and shrugged.

“I’m from New York, what’s the worst that could happen?” He tipped his head and sat down at the table. Lyla turned back to Jacque and smiled.

“Mr. Leferre, shall we find a more comfortable seating arrangement?” Lyla stood up from the couch and stuck the end of her cigarette holder into her red lips as she took a deep breath, puffing out a black smoke that hung balefully in the air.

“Ah but of course Madame” Jacque got up as well and followed Lyla who walked back out into the entrance where more furniture laid near the base of the stairs where Jacque first came in at the beginning of the party. He noticed Herbert standing suspiciously in a corner. Lyla sat down gracefully on the couch and Jacque sat across from her in an armchair.

“Some Champaign Mr. Leferre?”

“Oui, that would be most excellent” Lyla smiled enchantingly and snapped her fingers.

“Herbert get some Champaign for our guest please!” Lyla gave Jacque another smile as she took out her cigarette that was wedged in her cigarette holder and replaced it with a new one. “Mr. Leffere if you would please,” she held out her cigarette holder and let it sit in the air waiting to be lighted.

“Ah but of course Madame” Jacque took out his lighter from his pocket and lit the cigarette for Lyla as Herbert came out with a bottle of Champaign and two wine glasses pouring both of them and handing one to Lyla and Jacque.

“Why thank you. Now Herbert if you would be so kind as to check on the rest of our guest.” Herbert gave a quick bow and walked quickly away to check on everyone else. “So. The magnificent Jacque Leffere. What brings you to our humble home?”

“Magnificent Madame! Oh no no no I am just a detective. Why your husband invited me” Jacque gently picked up a glass and took a small sip.

“Did he now? Strange… he isn’t one to invite detectives into his house” Lyla also took a sip from her glass.

“Really and why’s that? Does he have something to hide?”

“We all have something to hide Mr. Leffere” Lyla flashed a perfect smile and took another sip of her glass. “And to tell the trust Mr. Leffere,” Lyla hesitated for a moment, clearly desperately needing to say something. “I convinced my husband to bring you here”. Jacque furrowed his brow and frowned.

“Really Madame, and why’s that” Jacque put his glass down and leaned forward intently listening to Lyla.

Lyla put down her glass. “Well Mr. Leffere, I am worried. I am sorry to bring you here like this but my husband won’t ever let me leave the house anymore. It’s like he has me trapped here and… I’m worried” rubbed her eyes with her fingers, clearly distraught.

“Worried? For you safety Madame Leroy,” Jacque got up from the armchair and sat down next to Lyla, putting a comforting arm around her.

“No. No no no no no, I am scared for my husbands life.” Lyla sniffled as a tear rolled down her cheek; Jacque offered his perfect white handkerchief. Lyla gladly took it and wiped her eyes.

“When did this all start Madame?”

“Right after the mob attack on the bank and the two people were shot and killed. He’s been getting mysterious calls and he has been yelling at the phone so much now. Every time I ask him what’s wrong and he only pushes me away”. More tears began to seep from Lyla’s eyes and now they begin to trickle down her face and onto her chin. She blew into the handkerchief. “That’s where he probably is right now, staring at the telephone. It’s just… Oh Mr. Leffere I’m so distressed.” She dropped the Handkerchief and hugged Jacque, crying into his soldier who patted her back trying to calm her.

“I will go talk to your husband”

“No, not now Mr. Leffere. He is in his room and he hates being disturbed.” Lyla let out a small sigh and rubbed her eyes. “Please, excuse me while I go to the bathroom and… well… compose myself I guess is the best word for it” She smiled still with tears in her eyes and then walked up stairs, her heels echoing loudly with each step. Jacque looked down at his pocket watch, 11:44. He sighed, Jacque really rather wanted to leave the house, despite how magnificent it was. The mansion was really rather… unnerving. Now what? He thought as he sat in silence, observing the rose carving on the railings of the staircase.

Cubilla Black suddenly burst through the doors to the Bridge room and started running towards the stairs holding her purse, smiling smugly. How Cubilla was running in 4” heels was far beyond Jacque. Lucinda suddenly came out of the doors furious, her fiery hair now edging out of her braid as wild loose ends stuck out.

“Come back here with my money you drunken bitch!” But Cubilla merely turned back and smiled slyly.

“You were right honey, better luck next time. Now excuse me while I powder my nose” She winked and ran up the stairs while Lucinda let out a screech of frustration and ran upstairs after her.

Rather suddenly Jacque jumped at a loud sneeze. He looked back down at his pocket watch. It read 11:46, how desperately he wanted to get out. He was rather looking forward to leaving at 12:00, but now it seems that it wasn’t going to happen given the new problem Lyla Leroy had presented him. And almost on impulse the skies released their tears on the world. Water poured from the sky battering the roof, threatening to cave in on itself. Thunder cackled from outside the large window that sat next to the door. Quite odd, he thought, how such a famous painter had been unnerved by a mere robbery by of a bank.

Lyla descending down the steps gracefully suddenly interrupted his thoughts, her heels clacking on the wooden steps. Only now did he really get a good enough look at the famous painters wife. She was wearing such a beautiful fiery red dress made with beads that looked more like rubies and diamonds, sparkling every time she moved. She had long luxurious black hair that reached down to the small of her back. She was about 5’ 7” and had darkly tanned skin, looked about in her early 30’s. She had now put on long white gloves that reached from her hands to her elbows and she released her enchanting smile again. Sitting back down on the couch after and looked outside.

“Absolutely ghastly weather we are having. I never liked such weather; the rain always seems to ruin the marigolds. Now those infernal roses are here. We can’t seem to get rid of them! They are everywhere. After Louis fired all the gardeners the just kept on growing and growing.” While she was talking Kurtis flung open the doors frantically and ran pass the couch desperately running upstairs.

“Kurtis is there something the matter?” Jacque inquired.

“It’s a bloody war in there! I’m going to bed” Kurtis said out of breath and then continued running up the stairs. Lyla just smiled. Jacque turned to Lyla with concern in his eyes.

“Now, about your husband…” but Jacque didn’t get to finish his sentence. There was suddenly a loud “BANG!” and the house was silently. But the silence was quickly broken by a scream that came from Alice’s lips. Jacque and Lyla leapt to their feet and started running upstairs, Jacque saw the Colonel at the top of the stars running into the door, he flung it open and ran inside and gasped. Kurtis was next inside the room and then Jacque entered with Lyla followed by Alice, Lucinda, and Cubilla. The room was beautiful, there was an exquisite picture from Louis’s collection called “eruption” by the bed and a large window at least 6’ by 3’. The floor was carpeted with white and the walls were also white, but not anymore… Because in the middle of the room lies a mangled body, sitting in a giant puddle of blood that stains the carpet with a bullet, impaled in his head. And a revolver, floating in a pool of blood that colored the carpet crimson and had already splattered all over the walls.

Lyla’s face twisted into a look of horror as she feel to her knees, hands shaking as a hollow wail fills the silence sitting in the rooms, her voice drenched in agony, bouncing off every hall of the now lonely mansion. A cold breeze drifts in, sending shivers down Jacques spine, from the open window from which bloodthirsty roses now peek their heads out of looking like they were grinning, almost satisfied.

Louis Leroy was dead.

P.S: Ok correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like Lylas sudden crying just is odd and off beat with everything. I'm not sure how to fix that bit. I read over this piece several times so I'm hoping I caught all the small grammar and spelling errors. Terribly sorry if I didn't, also for those who have been reading my earlier chapters, I switched Lyla's dress to a sparkling red dress because I think it was more effective. Thank you all for the reviews! Go to my works to find Chapter one and two if you're intrested.

Wherethewindgoes wrote a review...

Salutations.
It seems that PenguinAttack has already gone over the storyline, so I suppose I shall correct grammar.
This was mostly well-written, but there are a few errors:

Jacque Leffere sighed and looked at his pocket watch, 11:03 exactly.

This sentence is a bit awkward; perhaps turn the comma into a colon or semi-colon.

...while Alice, Kurtis, and Lyla sat at the couch in front of the fire talking quietly.

There needs to be a comma after "fire."

Jacque turned his attention back to the table and looked as his hand.

At his hand, I think you mean.

He didn’t quite understand the game but he knew well enough that each player gets 13 cards and the first person to play a card is called playing the lead. The person clockwise to whoever played the lead must play a card of the same suit if they have one, and if not they play something called a “trump” where they play a different suit. If they play a “trump” then the next person must the same suit of the “trump” unless they don’t have that suit in which case another “trump” is played and so on and so forth. The winner wins a “trick” if they have either the highest card of the same suit if all the cards were the same suit, or the highest card of the trump. There was some point system involved was far beyond Jacque.

I don't really think this whole explanation is necessary; it slows down the story, and I don't think the information is necessary to the story.

Next Cubilla smiled smugly playing an Ace of hearts, the highest heart you could play.

There should be a comma after "smugly."

Unless some one trumps

Trumped, I think. Keep tense consistent.

Jacque was going to lose even more of his money, even though he was a light bidder it didn’t matter, he lost anyways.

The first comma here should be a period, semi-colon, or colon. There should be a comma after "bidder," and the comma after "matter" shoud be a period or semi-colon.

Damn! He thought, he had one heart left, a six and that just wasn’t going to cut it.

If "Damn!" is his thought, it should probably he in italics in order to distinguish it from the rest of the sentence. Also, "He" shouldn't be capitalized, just like in dialogue.

He sighed playing his six of hearts and Cubilla beamed as she reached forward to gather her money...

There should be a comma after "sighed" and "hearts."

“Ah, ah, ah! I still haven’t played my card” Dr. Roberts smiled slyly as he lay down the last card in his hand.

The dialogue needs a period at the end, inside the quotation marks.

The ace of spades, he had trumped Cubilla’s trick and reached forward and dragged the money to his side.

The comma here should be a semi-colon, colon, or period. Also, after trick there should be a semi-colon or colon, and the "and" should be a "he."

Marvelous simply marvelous!

There should be a comma after the first "marvelous."

Building up dear old Cubilla’s hopes” Lucinda exclaimed...

There needs to be a comma or exclamation mark at the end of the dialogue, inside the quotes.

as she smiled smugly at Cubilla who was glared coldly back.

There needs to be a comma after "Cubilla."

“Better luck next time honey” she winked and pranced back to her chair.

Here there should be a period at the end of the dialogue; also, "she" should be capitalized since it is a new sentence.

well your right Lucinda.

you're right

Better luck next time” Cubilla scowled and pulled out a handful of shillings and throwing them on the table and crossing her arms, giving Lucinda a frigid glare.

Firstly, the dialogue should be punctuated with a period at the end. Also, this whole sentence is a bit of a run-on. Perhaps say something like "Cubilla scowled and pulled out a handful of shillings, throwing them on the table and crossing her arms. She gave Lucinda a frigid glare."

“I think I’m going to take a short break” Jacque smiled respectfully

This also needs a period at the end of the dialogue.

Lyla laid uncomfortably close to Kurtis who was talking about his most recent book he had published...

That should be "Lyla lay uncomfortably close"; "laid is past participle. Also, there needs to be a comma after "Kurtis."

“Yes, you see the importance of writing a murder mystery

A comma is needed after "see."

the true mysteries are the one’s where you already know the killer

"The true mysteries are the ones where you already know the killer (no apostrophe is necessary).

Jacque sat down at the couch next to Lyla who turned and smiled politely.

There needs to be a comma after "Lyla."

Jacque corrected himself “Kurtis, but there is a spot open at the bridge table

There should be a period after "himself", before the quotation marks.

and it goes until well after midnight,” Alice stood up from her armchair “I’m going to go check on him.”

Firstly, the first comma should be a period. "Alice stood up from her armchair" is a complete sentence, not a tag referring specifically to the dialogue. Also, there should be a period after "armchair."

[qutoe] “I’m going to go join the bridge game, please excuse me” he got up and kissed Lyla’s hand who blushed in return. [/quote]

There should be a period after "me." Also, there needs to be a comma after "hand."

“Oh, be careful Kurtis” Jacque advised.

There needs to be a comma at the end of the dialogue.

“Ah but of course Madame” Jacque got up as well and followed Lyla who walked back out into the entrance where more furniture laid near the base of the stairs where Jacque first came in at the beginning of the party.

This sentence is also a bit of a run-on. Firstly, there should be commas on either side of "but of course." Also, there should be a period at the end of the dialogue, after "Madame." In the next sentence, there should be a comma after "Lyla" and "entrance." Also, "where more furniture laid" should be "more furniture lay", and there should be a comma after "stairs." Also, "came" should be "had come."

Lyla sat down gracefully on the couch and Jacque sat across from her in an armchair.

You need a comma after "couch."

“Some Champaign Mr. Leferre?”

"Champaign" is spelled without an "i" and isn't capitalized. Also, there should be a comma after "champagne."

"Excellent" needs a period after it, inside the quotes.

“Herbert get some Champaign for our guest please!”

There should be a comma after "Herbert."

“Mr. Leffere if you would please,” she held out her cigarette holder and let it sit in the air waiting to be lighted.

The comma at the end of the dialogue should be a period, and "she" should be capitalized. Also, there should be a comma after "Leffere" and after "air."

This should be "Ah, but of course, Madame." Jacque took out his lighter from his pocket and lit the cigarette for Lyla as Herbert came out with a bottle of champagne and two wine glasses, pouring both of them and handing one to Lyla and Jacque."

“Why thank you. Now Herbert if you would be so kind as to check on the rest of our guest.”

There should be a comma after "Why" and "Now" and "Herbert". Also, "guest" should be "guests."

There should be a comma after "Why," and the end of the dialogue should have a period.

A period at the end of the dialogue here is also necessary.

“Really and why’s that?

I would break this into two sentences, to "Really? Why's that?"

“We all have something to hide Mr. Leffere” Lyla flashed a perfect smile...

There should be a comma after "hide" and a period after "Leffere."

“And to tell the trust Mr. Leffere,” Lyla hesitated for a moment, clearly desperately needing to say something.

"To tell the truth," I think (which also needs a comma after "truth"). The comma at the end of the dialogue should be a period.

“I convinced my husband to bring you here”. Jacque furrowed his brow and frowned.

The period here should be inside the quotation marks.

There should be a question mark at the end of the dialogue. There should also be a comma after "forward" (or perhaps intently, depending on whether he leaned forward intently or listened intently).

I’m worried” rubbed her eyes with her fingers, clearly distraught.

That should be "'I'm worried.' She rubbed here eyes with her fingers, clearly distraught."

For you safety Madame Leroy,” Jacque got up from the armchair

"For your safety", I think. Also, the comma at the end of the dialogue should be a period.

I am scared for my husbands life.”

husband's

Every time I ask him what’s wrong and he only pushes me away”.

"And" isn't necessary here.

More tears began to seep from Lyla’s eyes and now they begin to trickle down her face and onto her chin.

There should be a comma after "eyes."

She dropped the Handkerchief and hugged Jacque, crying into his soldier who patted her back trying to calm her.

"Handkerchief" shouldn't be capitalized. Also, "who patted her" should probably be a period and then "He patted her..."

“I will go talk to your husband”

This needs a period at the end.

...word for it” She smiled

There should be a period after "it."

Jacque looked down at his pocket watch, 11:44.

Once again, I would make this a period, semi-colon, or colon.

He sighed, Jacque really rather wanted to leave the house

The comma should be a period or semi-colon.

Now excuse me while I powder my nose” She winked and ran up the stairs

There should be a period at the end of the dialogue.

It read 11:46, how desperately he wanted to get out.

This comma should be a period or semi-colon.

but now it seems that it wasn’t going to happen

seemed

Water poured from the sky battering the roof, threatening to cave in on itself.

That should be "Water poured from the sky, battering the roof, which threatened to cave in on itself."

famous painters wife.

painter's

She had now put on long white gloves that reached from her hands to her elbows and she released her enchanting smile again. Sitting back down on the couch after and looked outside.

There should be a comma after "elbows." Also, the second sentence is a fragment; either combine it with the previous one or put a subject at the beginning.

While she was talking Kurtis flung open the doors frantically and ran pass the couch desperately running upstairs.

That should be past the couch, I think. Also, there should be a comma after "couch."

“It’s a bloody war in there! I’m going to bed” Kurtis said out of breath and then continued running up the stairs.

There should be a period at the end of the dialogue. Also, there should be commas on either side of "out of breath."

and the house was silently.

Silent, I think.

Jacque and Lyla leapt to their feet and started running upstairs, Jacque saw the Colonel at the top of the stars running into the door, he flung it open and ran inside and gasped.

This should be three sentences, or at least reworded; right now, these are comma splices.

Kurtis was next inside the room and then Jacque entered with Lyla followed by Alice, Lucinda, and Cubilla.

A comma is needed after "Lyla."

The room was beautiful, there was an exquisite picture

The comma should be a period, semi-colon, or colon.

in the middle of the room lies a mangled body

Lay a mangled body

blood that stains the carpet with a bullet

stained

hands shaking as a hollow wail fills the silence sitting

filled

A cold breeze drifts in, sending shivers down Jacques spine, from the open window from which bloodthirsty roses now peek their heads out of looking like they were grinning, almost satisfied.

This whole thing is in present tense, when the rest of the story was in past. Also, that should be "Jacques's spine."

...or, perhaps, more than a few...
Anyway, the main problems I noticed were tense and dialogue. At the end, a bunch of the story went to present tense, when the rest had been in past. That's easy to fix.
With dialogue, there are two ways to punctuate it:

"Hello," he said.

Use a comma inside the quotation marks if you're going to say "he/she said," or something of the sort.

Now, if there's a sentence afterward, such as
"Hello." She looked up.

you end the dialogue with a period, inside the quotations.

Well, that seems to be all. I like the story, and look forward to the rest. Good luck writing the rest!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:58 am
PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Hey Dogs,

I'll cover your PS first: Her sudden crying is a little bit too quick, I feel like there should be a bit more before it happens. She also shouldn't throw herself at him, I like the gentle sniffing and light tears because she seems like a pretty classy lady.

Okay. Okay okay. The Death.

What even are you doing here? The action is way too fast and you speed past the descriptions. The gun would not float, it's heavy, it's probably sinking into the pink tinged carpet, or whatever description of the carpet you want. He has only just been shot. While head wounds do bleed a whole stack, it's only been seconds since the gun went off and he won't have bled out enough to have a massive puddle.

The Bang with the silence is too odd too quickly, particularly followed by the scream. Alice is not yet screaming because of the body, I assume, because the Colonel flings the door open? That's confusing. Separate your actions out a bit.
First: There is a loud bang (no need for caps unless you really want them) of what sounds like a door? A window closing? Give us something there because otherwise the silence that follows is way weird, considering Jacque and Lyla are talking. Jacque in particular would begin to explore the sound even in his mind.
Second: Alice screams, breaking the silence and causing everyone to run to the sound of her voice.
Third: Colonel flings the door open followed by: Kurtis -> Jacque & Lyla -> Alice, Lucinda, Cubilla. Why are we flinging open the door to Louis' room when Alice screamed from outside it? We don't need to know why she's screamed yet, because now it's not connected to the body. If it IS, then why is she outside the room and why didn't anyone go to wherever she was?
Fourth: Jacques - we're still using him as a vehicle for sight - notices not the body first but furnishings. Big pool of blood, too many adjectives about the room and the blood. Keep this more simple. There wouldn't be a blood spray if the bullet is still in his head - it would be leaking out of the hole. It is likely it did exit, in which case the bullet is no longer in his head, it's lodged in some unknown location. There would be blood and brain matter in that case and only over one wall/furnishings behind him, and the blood would indeed be soaking into the carpet under his head and body.
Fifth: Lyla falls to knees, wails. No one goes to her. No one else says anything or makes horrified sounds.

So blood soaks into carpet rather than just lying on top, particularly if it's plush nice carpet like these rich kids probably have. The action moves too quickly and with too much distracting redundancy. Your timeline is confused about Alice's cry & the reason for opening Louis' door. We didn't see the Colonel go upstairs but perhaps Jacque missed it? (seems unlikely).

This isn't bad, but you're still a bit too wordy and that makes it more difficult to understand the events. This is particularly in the body scene. Lots of description, not much of it pertinent. I am enjoying the tale though. And I still think it's the wife.;) Who is likely having an affair, or wants to have an affair with that dashing American writer.

Thanks for posting, hit me up if you like.

~ Pen

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein