novel in progress, Her Name Is Daisy

by BilbosToes

“He loves me… He loves me not… He loves me…” Daisy walked around the fountain, her shoes crunching on the gravel whilst her fingers busily plucked away at the red flower she held in her hand. “He loves me…. Not.” Sighing, she tossed the remnants of the flower head into the water; scattering the loose petals, which floated like little boats on the surface before sinking. The fountain stood in the centre of the garden. It was a large, circular structure sculpted from pale sandstone, and a group of stone cherubs encircled the centre of it protectively, as though guarding its water. Daisy sat down on the edge, and trailed her hand absent-mindedly across the rippling glass; watching as the little waves spread out, until they were engulfed by the stormy bubbles in the centre of the pool. She sighed again, dramatically, and looked across the laurel hedges towards the grand old manor that stood at the head of the garden, its wide balconies stretching out to embrace sweeping lawns and towering hedges that formed the impressive garden in which she was sat. From the fountain, Daisy could just see the French doors to the drawing room where her mother and Lady Mary- who owned the house- were talking. Lady Mary was a formidable character, and Daisy couldn’t see why her mother would ever associate herself with her as rumour had it she was very cruel to her servants and even her husband, Lord Henry. The chance of seeing their son Peter was the only thing that made visits to Fardale Hall bearable for Daisy.

She knew she should probably go back to the house, instead of being outside by herself, so she laboured up and straightened the skirts on her new forget-me-not dress. Funny, she thought, I wish that Peter could see me now as he would never forget me if the colour were true!Peter Carstairs was, in Daisy’s opinion, what every man should be. He had broad shoulders and he was of an acceptable height, which was good Daisy thought, as she was tall herself, and small men were not to be abided! His dark hair was curly without being unruly, and fell like the forelock of a pony, down into his eyes, only to be pushed up again by his strong hands. His eyes were a deep brown, and they always seemed to be smiling… He also happened to be three years older than Daisy, who had just turned sixteen that September, so any thoughts of romance were off the cards. And besides, he was courting Elizabeth Morley, from across the way. “A plague o’both your houses” Daisy muttered bitterly, quoting the most appropriate Shakespeare she could think of, “A plague----“ She stopped short as a rustle of leaves caught her attention.

Daisy froze, her wide blue eyes straining to see past the leaves around her. All around the fountain was a ring of dense evergreen hedge, with paths between that radiated out like the spokes of a wheel towards the house, and others that led to the lake and flower beds. She peered down each of these little streets, trying to sense where the sound had come from, when she realised that she was being ridiculous- it was probably only a rabbit! This thought, however, did nothing to get rid of the chill that ran down Daisy’s spine and caused the hairs on her arms to stand up even though the day was mild- warm even- for April. She breathed in deeply and relaxed, forcing herself to stop overreacting yet again.

“Daisy, dear” she said to herself firmly, “There is no use being daft about little things, there’s nothing there. This isn’t like last time, nothing will happen.” Another sudden sound like a twig snapping caused Daisy to jump. “What was that?” she cried, startled, and without a backwards glance she picked up her skirts and hurried towards the house, the gravel beneath her feet digging into the soft soles of her shoes; the white shoes with the row of pearly buttons that lined up her ankle.

*** “But mother, there was something there! I felt it!” cried Daisy, as their carriage was pulling out of the driveway at Fardale. “Nonsense dear, now hold still. How you managed to get quite so many leaves in your hair is rather baffling. You fell over, you say?” said Daisy’s mother, Lady Harborough, as she continued fishing scraps of dirt out of Daisy’s flaxen curls.

Daisy pulled away with a jerk, “I didn’t fall mother. I happen to be quite careful on my feet, contrary to your beliefs! Something, and don’t look at me like that if you would, something tripped me up.” Her blue eyes flared and Daisy tossed her loose hair in what she hoped looked like an act of defiance.

“Really dear,” exclaimed her mother as the carriage jolted along the road, “You need to learn to act like a lady! We shall never find you a desirable husband at this rate. Have you heard about Miss Morley?” Here, Lady Harborough leaned across the carriage, her eyes shining with gossip. At the sound of Elizabeth’s name, Daisy’s heart dropped, “Well it turns out that she was seeing both Mr Carstairs and that young rebel type, oh what’s his name… Mr Phillips!”

Lady Harborough sat back against the seats, as though the spread of talk had quite taken it out of her. Daisy rolled her eyes as if she found the entire business tiresome, but inside she was secretly overjoyed. If Elizabeth had been seeing Edward Phillips as well as Peter, then Peter would no longer like her, she thought, this could be her chance! Brimming with happiness, Daisy arranged her face into a neutral look and glanced out of the window as the carriage continued to bump along the country lane that led away from Fardale Hall, watching as the long grass that bordered the roadside swayed up out of the ditches and waved lazily in the late afternoon sun, turning the fields a warm orange. The gentle rocking of the seats, combined with the soft, plush cushions and the warm, sweet-smelling breeze lulled Daisy into a trance, her forehead leaning against the window frame as her eyelids drooped into sleep. Her eyelashes rested in a dark sweep across her cheekbones as the dying light made the dust glitter inside the confines of the coach. Daisy stirred and her eyes fluttered open; blinking into the fading sun. Opposite her, she saw that her mother had succumbed to her exhaustion of the day, and had fallen asleep with her head resting on her hand, crushing the silken flowers that adorned her hat. Daisy smiled and marvelled at how quiet it was now Lady Harborough wasn’t talking.

She turned to look back out of the window, shifting slightly in her seat. Still, the world looked peaceful and she could hear the steady clopping of the horses’ hooves on the dry dirt as a sudden gust of wind picked up the dry dust and blew it around the wheels. Daisy’s eyes watered and she began to pull back when she stopped. There… There was definitely something in the undergrowth next to the carriage. Leaning slightly out into the road, she tried to look closer. It was something big and dark, shadowy and swift. It was racing along next the carriage, silently, like a ghost and Daisy felt her heart race as she began imagining what it could be. This was no rabbit; this was no fox, Daisy thought, thinking of all the books she had read on animals- a bear, perhaps? Scared, Daisy shuffled further into the interior of the coach and was just about to wake her mother, when a gleam of red caught her eye. The creature had turned its... head, she supposed, and the sunlight had glinted off its eyes, shining in a sinister way. An unexpected feeling of de’ja vu swept over her, and she remembered. Just before she had fallen over at Fardale, no, before she had been tripped over, Daisy had seen a flash of red from the bushes before she had hit her head. The carriage gave a sudden lurch and stopped. Then Daisy began to scream.

AwesomeSauce wrote a review...

Hello BilbosToes,
XD I love your name! It puts a smile on my face!
Okay, this needs paragraphs my dear friend. Why? Well, it'll do two things. One, make it easier to read, and two, I won't squint my eyes too often. *eyes widen* Also, I suggest putting the speakers on different lines.
ANYWAY, enough of this. *rolls eyes* Grammar this and edit that, I don't want to do that to you! O.O XD
Okay, I find this idea absolutly, ((sorry for the bad spelling)), cute! :3 It's like a classic romance story! Although I don't read romance that much, ((actually it's rare to see me read these types)), I find this one interesting! Plus, I love historical stories! XD
Hope I helped a little!
*spok sing* Until next time,
-Sarah!

BilbosToes says...

I don't know how to do them! I've said this to everyone and no one has exactly helped me....
It's formatted fine when I've copied it in, then the preview is fine, and easy to read and what not... Press submit- and this happens. Do you know how to change it? Because it won't let me enter to create paragraphs, and tab won't work, and neither will space.

But I'm glad my name is good :D and thanks for reading this :)
-Bilbos

AwesomeSauce says...

Hmmm....You could try editing it in Word or what you write it in, then try submitting the edited version of it. It should do the trick.

BilbosToes says...

i did that :')

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:03 am
Audy wrote a review...

Bilbos,

Welcome to YWS! I hope you are enjoying the site so far, I just wanted to drop in and say that I absolutely love your username :3 <3 Just adorable. Now, as far as your story...

I think Snoink already covered the formatting issues. Please edit this Dx the formatting really made it difficult to read, and I know it's not quite your fault. Let me know if you encounter any other troubles with it though!

But enough of that, I'm doubly excited because romance (and especially historical romance) is just my cup of tea, so I'm already excited before I even begin ^_^ The first sentence actually made me smile. I thought it kind of cute how you begin with the "he loves me not" expressions and then name your character Daisy! Also, love your use of metaphors and the descriptions of the flower picking, and the petals falling into the water, just beautiful :3 I'm a poetry buff myself, so rarely do I venture out of the poetry forums, but for this, and for you, I'll make an exception. Prose with poetic elements make the best kinds of stories ^_^ The images/scene are vivid in my head.

I can't wait to meet the other characters - Peter seems your typical gorgeous and charming prince-y or manorly type. And Elizabeth, I've got a thing for rooting/sympathizing with antagonists, so I'd love to hear more about her backstory as well. Heh, I love that she is a two-timer, in that time period that kind of thing is extremely shameful. So yes, can't wait to find out what happens. :3

The only thing I got confused about - maybe I got lost somewhere in the block of text, but some of your spatial arrangements confused me. One moment, she's by the fountain and she's observing the manor, and the next moment, it seems she is riding in a carriage? Now, I am wondering if there is some kind of time/skip or flashback that is happening here, and maybe it's just unclear to me because of the formatting.

As far as the noise/gleam, I have no idea what that could be. :o It gives me the sense that this is going to head in a supernatural direction, and if so, then I'm perfectly okay with that ^_^

Please give me a buzz when you continue this.

~ as always, Audy

BilbosToes says...

Audy,
Thank you for taking the time to read this! It's much appreciated :D

I'm so confused as how to edit the format, as the preview was fine, however it turned into a massive block, which annoyed me greatly!

In the original before I submitted this, it was made clear that it was a skip in time period, so maybe you could tell me how to re-format it? :)

And I will try and remember to tell you when the next block is up, hopefully with a clearer format!

-BilbosToes :D

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Hi, Bilbostoes!

YAY! Romance! We love romance. I hope she gets with Peter, and that Peter's all she hoped for! Though, for a minute I was a bit cautious... MAYBE PETER WAS THE ONE STARING AT HER.

DUN DUN DUNNNNN.

...okay, maybe not. But, maybe someone else was? Maybe a creepy guy? OR. What if this is a ghost story and it was a ghost? OR. Maybe it's kind of like the Hound of the Baskervilles. Or... well... I am intrigued by what this might be, and this is a good thing! You have a good hook here. We WANT to know what will happen!

There was just one thing that confused me... and I don't want to read through the block of text to find it. (I know! You probably formatted it fine, but something weird happened and... yeah. It happens to the best of us! No worries, I read it! But, you might consider editing to make it look better so that other people can find this awesome story. :))

Anyway! That one part that confused me was when she heard the noise and she got scared, and I think she mentioned something like this wasn't the first time this had happened. Which made me think, "OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT HAPPENED THE FIRST TIME?!" But then, you didn't mention it again! So, I am not sure what you wanted to do with that, if anything.

Also, why isn't the mother even a little bit upset? I mean, my mother would get a little weird. Does she frequently complain about feeling watched, so that her mother doesn't care? I don't know... it seems a little odd. Wouldn't she at least have one of the servants investigate it?

Anyway, keep going! And, let me know when you post the next part to this. :D

Also, if my review is incoherent (and it probably is!) feel free to make me re-explain myself, and I'll be more than happy to do so. :)

BilbosToes says...

Awh thank you Snoink :D
Yes, this is my first post... So I wasn't sure on how to format stuff much, so you can imagine my horror when it turned into one massive chunk! I wasn't best pleased...

I know that I need to work on tidying up some things, it's a bit loose-endy, and if I'm honest (and please don't hate my awful authorismy stuff) I haven't really worked out myself, as I tend to think of characters as people, I wait for them to decide what they want to do? Bit weird... But true :)

And think of Daisy's mother like you would imagine Alice Liddell's (Alice in Wonderland) governess. She think's her daughter is never going to become a proper woman and will forever be this child who runs around scaring herself, or possibly she is a bit "touched in the head" as they would say...

Thank you so much for reading it though! And I will endeavour to tell you when the next part is up :) Thank you!! :D

Snoink says...

Dude, I totally do that! Let the characters decide. It's fantastic stuff! The problem is when they're like, "Oh, we're not going to tell you what is going on." And, I'm like, "YOU WILL TELL ME." But then they don't. So, I write it in a way that I think might work, but it fails miserably. And then they're like, "Oh, we wouldn't do THAT. We would do this instead!" Which makes me think, "WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY SOMETHING?!"

*sighs*

Characters are totally people!

For the mother! Is there any reason why she thinks this? Maybe this girl has cried wolf (so to say) too many times, so the mother is exasperated, perhaps?

BilbosToes says...

For the mother, I'm kind of going off my own experiences actually... I'm one of those people who dallies along with my head in the clouds and over-reacts constantly, and it's like my parents and friends now kind of despair with me, and no longer take me so seriously! So Daisy's mother is kind of tired of hearing about the same things, so as you said, yes is tired of Daisy "crying wolf". I also think she might be the sort of mother that has chose to leave Daisy to a governess or nurse when she was younger, so they don't have that bond? I might have to explore that further down the line (ooh, flashbacks!)

I understand your character pain... I really do!

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey