Beastie (Chapter 1)

by Stellabeam

I would say “Once Upon a Time” to start out this story. But it isn’t really appropriate because people would think this some sort of cheesy fairytale. It is a tale but no fairies are involved only dazzling enchantresses. It’s not cheesy either there’s lots of misery and anguish throughout. It involves a shy, smart girl, the man who wouldn’t stop chasing her, the man in agony needing to be loved and of couple of eccentric sidekicks along the way.

In England there lived the King and Queen. Their names have long been forgotten. It’s the names of their two youngest the twins that count . John and Gerald. They were a different story from their well-behaved siblings entirely. Handsome and arrogant they lived life like a party and never had any ambition. Because they weren’t eligible for the throne they were lazy and never studied.

All the royal children were raised by nannies, governesses and tutors, their parents being distant figures to look up to. None of them had experienced real love and none knew what they were lacking. With 9 of them it was hard to get any individual attention from any adult so they branched off on their own doing what they pleased. One day in their early childhood as Mandre, their French tutor took them out for a walk they encountered a beggar woman out by the castle woman. She was begging for a bite to eat. She was thin and had sores covering her face, her clothing in tatters. As one of the sisters took out her purse the tutor rebuked her and ushered them away. When John asked why they couldn’t help the old woman the tutor replied, “Because she’s good for nothing worthless hag. She depends on others for a livelihood and cannot be trusted.” His face grimaced as her said this and no one said another word.

That was years ago and no one in the family remembered that. Their two oldest sisters were married and Lucy and Jane were engaged to royal men in far-off places. Earl was in line for the throne and Stephen was a world famous jouster. That left Gerald and John at the bottom of the child pyramid, alone and unsupervised, just the way they liked it. John was always the more sensitive type and didn’t go with his brother’s pranks so easily. As he had no one else to be with all day they ended up doing whatever Gerald wanted to do anyway. They escaped their tutors (something John agreed to with great relish) and released the stable horses in the middle of the night, whooping and hollering (an activity John believed to injure the horses)

Throughout all their shenanigans only one person was continually aware of these activities. Cortland, the royal advisor appointed to the overseeing of the care of the royal children or more aptly; the frazzled caretaker of the twins. He had short, curly, chestnut colored hair and a small handlebar mustache that he was very proud of; waxing and trimming continually. Cortland was the model of a noble advisor to the King, all rules all the time. Unfortunately because of his obsession with obedience and punctuality he was appointed in charge of the children’s upbringing. This position came around when the 55th successive nanny in two years quit and His Majesty was worrying what to do with his royal twins. Lord Cortland suggested that His Eminence find someone with a firm hand to take charge of the job. Cortland was immediately appointed, being the best candidate for the position.

Disgruntled and annoyed he took on the job on what he thought was a temporary basis; I mean how hard were a couple of children going to be? Cortland found out the second he walked into the old nursery. He was slammed in the face with something that felt soggy and soft. Spluttering he pulled it off and yelled, “I demand to know who’s responsible for this at once!” All he heard was giggles. Annoyed he looked around the room that was in shreds. Tables were overturned and the curtains ripped off, there were feathers everywhere that came from pillow stuffing. He heard a creaking sound come from the ceiling, looked up and saw to his dismay John and Gerald unscrewing the chandelier. With a strangled scream he yelled “OFF! OFF!! GET OFF OF THAT YOU NAUGHTY BOYS!” Cortland waved his short arms around, the boys roared with laughter at this sight, and he started to rectify one of the tables. He climbed on it and much to the boys surprise jumped up and grabbed the ankles of the boys. After a couple hard tugs he successfully pulled the twins off. Surprised and humiliated the boys allowed themselves to be made to clean up the mess they made.

But that day was born the silent but ferocious battle of dominance between Cortland and the royal pains.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:14 am
Snoink wrote a review...

What a cute story!

Here is a video critique, as you requested!

First one! http://youtu.be/69a1pDH-ltM

Second one! http://youtu.be/-YQXvkFB8vw

...yeah, I was silly and forgot to add a part, so it's two parts. *holds head in shame*

Also! Typos that I feel like pointing out!

It’s not cheesy either there’s lots of misery and anguish throughout.

Comma splice error! Maybe:

It’s not cheesy either; there’s lots of misery and anguish throughout.

Or:

It’s not cheesy either -- there’s lots of misery and anguish throughout.

It’s the names of their two youngest the twins that count . John and Gerald.

Should be:

It’s the names of their two youngest, the twins, that count: John and Gerald.

Also! Commas are good! For instance:

Handsome and arrogant they lived life like a party and never had any ambition. Because they weren’t eligible for the throne they were lazy and never studied.

Should be:

Handsome and arrogant, they lived life like a party and never had any ambition. Because they weren’t eligible for the throne, they were lazy and never studied.

...I don't know if you are obsessed with comma grammar or not. If not, you might want to google up the grammar and look up their rules. It will come in handy, and it will make your soul happy! I think!

Anyway, there's the review. Hope it helps! :)

Snoink says...

Also, I apologize for the cat. He really is a miserable brat. XD

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...

Hi Stella it's Stella! :D I hope that now that I am giving you a review you will pass it on and review another writer in need!

FAIRYTALES. I love fairytales. This is so down my street!

Disgruntled and annoyed he took on the job on what he thought was a temporary basis; I mean how hard were a couple of children going to be?

I don't like the "I mean" here, why break the fourth wall when it's not hurting anyone?

Alright, so, I really like your tone here, it's fun and playful and just what you need for this sort of story :) It gets a little bit infodumpy in places, like where you say that John was "more the sensitive type"- you don't need that. Not right now as you talk about how naughty the two of them were. Maybe have Cortland consider the twins and how it seemed Gerald was the real troublemaker, John simply the disciple. I think that could work better. Eventually you are going to have to stop with the omniscience and hand over to a particular character- I worry about how that transition is going to work. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! For now if omniscience is what you want to do then do it.

I both loved and hated the first paragraph. I loved it because it did exactly what you set it out to do, and it was a fun read at the same time. But I hated it because it felt a bit overused and overwrought. Can you think of any better way to introduce your story while still retaining that snark? Again, you broke the fourth wall- which I didn't notice at the time because I thought the whole story was in first person. Since it isn't, I'm confused about who the speaker was in the first paragraph. If there isn't one except yourself, then that needs to be fixed.

Otherwise I really enjoyed this!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x

Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:12 am
musicgirl5001 says...

Alright, so I think right now the story is kind of confusing, but it's still just the first chapter.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 am
Kafkaescence wrote a review...

1. You're going to need to get someone to proof this if you want it to be taken seriously. It's laden with run-ons and misplaced punctuation and other such errors, and all things considered it's pretty difficult to trudge through.

2. The characters are generic and uninteresting. I got to the end of this chapter and I still have no idea how the boys in this story are any different than those in, like, Nanny McPhee, and how Cortland is any different than the next bumbling medieval professor guy. What are their secrets, their idiosyncrasies, their intrapersonal tendencies? Give me a feel for your characters!

3. By the end of a first chapter, I'd like to know who the protagonist is, at the very least, yet you deny me even that. In the beginning you mention that this was going to follow some girl and her love-stricken suitor, yet you then, as if changing your mind, proceed to describe a pair of troublemaking boys, with seemingly no connection to the prior synopsis. But you don't stop: after you seem to exhaust the subject of the boys, you switch yet again over to Cortland, their royal babysitter. And at the end, I still don't know which character you want me to care about.

4. The plot...was there a plot? I couldn't tell. What was this chapter even about? Stables? Chandeliers? Tutors? What? You never really grounded this chapter with any real sense of present, so it kind of meandered off into an unorganized thought-stream that could never pick itself up and call itself the beginnings of a story.

5. There were way, way too many characters being introduced. This is a short chapter. Do you honestly expect your reader to keep track of them all? Show me who the characters are, develop them. Don't reduce them to titles and offhand template descriptions. I guarantee that they will be much more vivid.

So as a result of all this, I wasn't really hooked by this chapter at all. Hope this helped a bit, and good luck.

-Kafka

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White