Remember Me

by Starleene

I saw everything. I watched but couldn’t say anything to stop it. I tried over and over to yell, scream, anything; anything to prevent us from getting into that car. I watched helplessly as you opened the door for me and waited until I had put my seat belt on, to close it. You pulled the driver’s door out of my hands, and closed it; sealing us inside. I couldn’t hold it. I couldn’t prevent us from going. The car pulls away from the curb and drives away, I have no choice but to follow, a mere ghost in the past.

I know the winding road is approaching and I can feel myself being pulled into the car, compelled by the invisible hands of destiny. I cry out, pleading to be exempt from reliving this. Nothing stops me from being thrust into my own body; to feel what I felt, see what I saw.

I briefly look out the window; the headlights only illuminate the road enough to see the sharp cliff, merely three feet from the road. You say something and I look over. It’s painful to see you looking so handsome in your suit jacket. You say something that sets us off laughing, the radios playing.

We don’t know what’s coming, but I do.

Once again, you look over and take my hand. Quickly, I can feel my smile fade and panic set in. We’re yelling, myself and I. You haven’t noticed what I have yet, haven’t seen what I have. When you do, I can see it on your face; the deer that appeared out of nowhere. It jumps into the road and stands there, watching, waiting. Its eyes reflect our rapidly approaching headlights. I feel coldness as you jerk your hand from my grasp and grab the wheel, but we both know it’s too late. It’s too late to do anything but slam on the breaks.

I can feel time begin to slow. I feel each beat of my heart again, bu-bump, bu-bump. A car rounds the bend blocking us from any escape, sealing our fate. The deer rushes to meet us like a freight train, crashing through the windshield. Shards of glass are floating around us, suspended like little iridescent crystals. Time resumes its break neck speed.

The car’s out of control and it slams into something, sending dirt in through the shattered windshield. Suddenly we’re weightless and I can feel the car slowly turning over. Time doesn’t exist here. I can feel myself screaming, but the me I am now is calm, screaming won’t matter soon.

We slam into the ground and I can briefly hear metal screeching before gravity catches up and my knees slam into my face. It’s goes dark. I can breathe again. I can feel the deep darkness in this other me, the scared me. I don’t know what’s going on around me, that’s not a part of my world; all I feel is darkness. All I see is darkness.

I know the worst isn’t over and I can feel myself tensing. I try to calm myself and tell me that it’ll be over soon. I want to cry but I can’t, she can’t. The me that’s unconscious.

I can feel myself open my eyes. I can see bright light and I can hear a strange beeping sound, oddly enough, it reminds me of my heart beat. Shallow and slow. Bu-bump-beep. Bu-bump-beep. The realization is coming soon; I can feel my mind clearing itself of fog, remembering the events of the night; remembering, and the screaming starts. Doctors’ rush in, calming me, shushing me, telling me it’ll be ok. I want to know where he is; I want to know if he’s ok. The me then doesn’t know yet, she doesn’t notice the looks between the doctor and nurse. I can see the look clearly now, now that I’m not scared. Now that I know what happens. The doctor and nurse excuse themselves after exchanging a few words. I’m alone now, weeping and confused. The door to the room opens and my mom walks in, remnants of mascara on her face telling the truth of her tears.

She sits on the edge of my bed and takes my hand, careful of the IV. She’s always careful, my mom. I know what’s coming and I try to hide myself as far away as possible; shutting myself away but I hear anyway. She tells me about my baby. How they had to perform an emergency C-section. He would live. For now. They were monitoring him, watching for any signs of abnormality. Tears are falling. I could feel them again, as well as relief. She quiets and I know what’s coming, the relief is replaced by fear.

I hear his story; the story of how he turned the car right before the impact so his side would hit first; of how when the dust had settled, he had refused the help of the stranger in the car, told them to get me out first. He asked about me the entire way to the hospital, he wanted to make sure I had everything I needed. To make sure I had the care first. I felt my mom’s hesitation, felt her tears as they fell on my hand.

Then she told me. She told me the truth. He was so badly injured. Surgery was begun to remove the shards of glass piercing his body. It didn’t matter. He had already lost too much blood. I felt myself fall still. Darkness engulfed me again. Endless pain and anguish rushed over me. I tried to stop it. I tried to lock it away but it was no use. This pain was endless; I would always feel this pain.

I hear sounds and I know the end is near. I wake up and the truth of the night hits me. I’m screaming again, screaming so loud that the me now can’t hear anything. Suddenly I see me; I see me in a hospital bed screaming away the hurt. The night rushes past me reliving the events of the evening in reverse. I’m pulled away and thrust into the now body. The body lying in our bed, surrounded by emptiness. Only it’s not me who’s screaming this time, it’s our baby; the miracle born of a tragedy.

I have this nightmare regularly. I can count on it like I can count on the rise of the sun. I know he’s still here, watching over us. Making sure we’re taken care of. Every time I enter the memories of that night I can feel a presence in the room. Making sure I’m not afraid, reassuring me.

The nightmare will come again. When I remember, remember the lost times.I’m not afraid. I know, then, he’ll be back.

Paracosm wrote a review...

Hey there Starlleene! I'm going to give you a quick review. I'll start with some technical stuff. Then I'll talk about idea and voice. Anyway, time to get on with it!

In one line you use radios instead of radio's or radio is.

We don’t know what’s coming, but I do.

While I understand what you're saying with this line, I feel it was more awkward than it was effective. It's a great idea, she's watching the wreck from outside of her body, after the fact. I like the idea, but I didn't like how it was expressed in this sentence.

I also enjoyed your vivid descriptions, but don't forget some of the other senses. You mostly focus on sight and sound. But what do they smell and feel? Can she smell blood lingering in the air? Can she smell the sour, burning stench of wire? I think the story could use more more sensory detail.

Okay, that pretty much covers the technical stuff!

On to the idea!

Like Shear said, the 'other me' theme seemed to bog the story down a bit. With how little it was explored in the story, it just seemed unnecessary. Now if you fleshed that theme out, strengthened it some, it would definitely be an interesting theme. Just with how little it's mentioned, it feels a little unnecessary.

I like how you wrote this in first person. It feels very personal, which really deepens the emotions in the story. One thing that seemed off to me, she was worried more about her boyfriend than she was about her child. It seems to me she would be more concerned with the welfare of her baby.

An interesting route you might want to explore, what if she's telling the story to her baby? That's be a killer twist, and you could throw in a ton of emotion that way.

Anyway, nice job Star! I loved your story, you do an excellent job packing in the emotions. Your sensory descriptions are great, but you may want to explore some more senses. The olfactory sense, smell and taste, have the strongest imprint on our memory, I think. I heard this from my bro, so it could be wrong, but it does make sense. Anyway, keep up the awesome work Star!

Shearwater wrote a review...

Hi Star,

This is a really sad and beautiful story. I love the miracle born of tragedy side of this and I think you did a pretty wonderful job at getting the emotions of this piece. I, for one, could feel it.

There are, however, a few things you could still do to make this better. Firstly though, I want to say that the ‘two me’s’ thing in here seemed like extra work and baggage for the story and didn't exactly add anything extra. It was confusing in the beginning and I was suddenly thinking there was an extra twin in the car or something. If you want to keep the two past and present me’s in the story then you should try to clarify it a little more for the readers and if not, just keep her to one me.

Also, I noticed you had some slips when it came to tenses. You had past tenses and present tenses and there was some mixes between now and then and it was a little hard to follow because you had the actual car accident in present tense but the aftermath in past tense – if you follow. With that said, I think those two should be changed around, switched. It would make more sense if you think about it.

Your writing is nice, I liked your imagery and description but I think you had some redundant short clippy sentences that I think you could have easily molded into something a little more fluid. And I mentioned how I liked your sense of emotion and being able to instill that in your readers and if I am going to say anything more in respect to that, I would say to add more…reason? For lack of better word. For example, I want to know more about why her mother kept it a secret about her husband dying in the car accident, yes mend the blow, but why make up the story? I think that’s even worse for her, having that image of him being all heroic and then suddenly it was actually just lies and he’s dead. Sad.

Overall, this is a good short story though I think it could still use some more juice. Keep it up and let me know if you have any questions!

-S

It’s my Starleene! I’m here for you.

Okay, right away I want to say that the ending of this story is what sealed the deal of me liking it. I will explain my reaction, and hopefully it will be helpful to you as a review.

I love the point in time and space you use: a person not quite then, not quite now, able to know all points while still being in their personality, so it’s not like an omnipresent narrator, but still the character from the story. That said, I think this trips you up a little in the beginning. Your verb tenses are all over the place because maybe you couldn’t quite clearly envision the point in time you were coming from at first? Clear it up in your mind, and then clean it up on the page.

Next, be aware of the predictability of your story and use it to your advantage. We can pretty much tell that they are going to get in a car crash, and it’s very easy to explain that he turned the car to save her first. I think that you got into her voice a lot when describing these things, which is good, but it takes too long to get through these events that we already know are happening. The good stuff happens after the predictable portions: we find out she was pregnant, that he wasn’t just a boyfriend. We also find out this is a nightmare, so it fits into the realm of actual reality and not some weird fantasy out of body experience.

The very BEST of this piece happens at the very end. The speaker says she doesn’t mind the nightmares because she knows he’ll come again. This is what makes me interested in this piece. And I don’t know why it’s the end. This is genuine character development. We see the cause, and we meet the naming of the effect, but then we don’t get to see how this character acts in life without him. Does she sleep a lot to try to get the nightmares? Does she realize it’s not healthy to want to wake up screaming? Does her mother want to get her any counseling? If so, that would be an interesting place to see this character in. How does she speak about the event? The reason I said the beginning was predictable, then, is because you can cut it down and give us more time with really exploring this character and how her loss and her love effects her in waking life. It seems like we’ve spent so much time with her, but we’ve spent the time with a sprite of her. I want to get to know the real person when she’s awake, you know?

Also, I’d recommend researching a little bit about how people die in car crashes and the efforts taken by doctors to save them so the portion where she finds out how he died doesn’t seem quite so shallow and assumed. Oh, and there are totally ditches on the sides of the road, so even if a car was in the other lane, couldn’t they go off the road in an effort to avoid the deer? There are trees there, too, so I’d believe more that they avoided the deer and found the trees.

PM me or leave me a wall post if you want to talk more about this or have any questions.

Good luck and always keep writing. ( :

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:46 pm
Nebesah wrote a review...

"Its eyes reflect our headlights that are quickly approaching."
This was the only really awkwardly worded part. I was being pulled along by your story and then I had hit a deer that interrupted the flow. That was a horrible analogy. I'm sorry. It's early. In any case, if you fix this I think the whole thing will be wonderful. You could say something like "Its eyes reflect our rapidly approaching headlights "
Also my absolute favorite line was "Shards of glass are floating around us, suspended like little iridescent crystals." It was so vivid.
I especially liked how throughout the entire piece you used such beautiful words to describe such a horrible event.
Anyways, the whole thing was splendid and sad. I loved it.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:03 am
abelgaiya wrote a review...

Wow, this was really intense. I was able to visualize every scene with impeccable detail, thanks to your descriptions.

I don't believe there's anything to criticize here. The technique, the simple-yet-ambiguous grammar, the use of 1st person, the coordinated flow of events and the culmination; all these are present in your piece and have molded a synchronized plot.

Please, write more :)

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
— Dr. Seuss