Miss Deaf USA

by PurpleMoment

NOTE: This is an essay I wrote for my Diversity Class a year or two ago.

For the past three consecutive years, my family and I have attended the Statewide Conference for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. This year, the conference was held March 11-13th at the Concourse Hotel &Governor’s Club in Madison. Every year, information regarding diversity, discrimination, and normalization is shared, in addition to resources and various coping strategies for the challenges Deaf and Hard of Hearing people face. The most exciting aspect of this year’s conference was meeting 2010 Miss Deaf USA, Michelle Koplitz.

Michelle Koplitz is from Eau Claire, Wisconsin. She was born Deaf, but it never slowed her down. There has always been a negative determination of Deaf people’s abilities based on their disability. Ableism promotes the belief that people with disabilities are inferior to able-bodied people. This, of course, is an incorrect and ignorant way to think. Deaf people are capably of anything, other than hearing. Michelle was mainstreamed in her school distinct and used an interpreter in all her classes. In high school, she was involved in sports and clubs, and the National Honor Society. She graduated from with a 3.8 grade point average.

Although Michelle worked hard, she still struggled to fit in and discover her identity. She was deaf, but she felt too involved in the Hearing world. After high school, she went to the Rochester Institute of Technology, where she began to finally feel comfortable in her own shoes. This is when she finally began to fully embrace Deaf culture. She hosted events with the NTID Student Congress and worked as a lifeguard. And then she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology and a minor in Psychology. After graduating, she pursued her master’s degree in Health Education and Health Communication at John Hopkins. Michelle traveled with Deaf organizations and studied in Sussex, England. She also traveled to Thailand as a Global Outreach Delegate, and she is a certified yoga instructor for the Deaf community.

Michelle talked a lot about her decision to become a full-fledged member of the Deaf culture. Deaf culture is a social, communal, and creative force of, by, and for Deaf people based on American Sign Language (ASL). It encompasses communication, social protocol, art, entertainment, recreation, and worship. It’s also an attitude, and, as such, can be a weapon of prejudice—“You’re not one of us; you don’t belong.”

I’ve seen this prejudiced attitude among many people of the Deaf community and Michelle talked about her experience, which is a little different from my own. Michelle is 80% deaf and used technology to help her hear. This is viewed as unacceptable by many members of the Deaf community. If you’re Deaf, you are Deaf. There is nothing wrong, so using technology to “fix” your hearing is like betraying “your own kind.”

Michelle was torn between the Hearing World and the Deaf World. Despite the mighty efforts of generations of Hearing people, deaf people still prefer to communicate and mingle with their own kind. That is the psychosocial basis of Deaf culture. Deaf people in the United States have faithfully resisted the generous attempts of Hearing people to eliminate the use of sign language and assimilate them into the hearing mainstream. The simple fact is that deaf people who attend the common residential schools for the deaf—no matter what mode of communication is forced on them in the classroom—tend to seek out other deaf people and communicate in sign language.

I understand all of this extremely well. Personally, I also seek out people who are more like me. Deaf people are more likely to understand one another and have a common ground. Communication with other Deaf people is also much less frustrating than communicating with Hearing people. However, I also believe that Deaf culture is a political concept and it's limiting rather than inclusive. It encourages a certain elitism, a snobbery. For example, in Deaf culture, a person is considered “strong-Deaf,” and is accorded respect, if they have Deaf parents. Since I am the child of hearing parents, and the only deaf person in my family, I’m not considered “strong-Deaf” enough by certain Deaf-culture purists. My status in Deaf culture is, in this view, lower than that of persons with Deaf parents and/or Deaf siblings. I’ve had a few encounters with gung-ho Deaf-culture types who have told me that they don’t consider me part of Deaf culture because I’m from a hearing family and didn’t attend Gallaudet University. I suppose that they consider me second-class, according to the strict Deaf Culture criteria. Or maybe third-class. Since the vast majority of deaf people have hearing parents that would mean that only a mere handful of Deaf people can rightly be considered the “elite.” Not by one’s personal accomplishments, not by one’s contributions to the community, but simply by having the “right kind” of parents. To my view, this is as snobbish and restrictive as the views circulated by the Hearing people, who excluded deaf people from the respect accorded to all other groups, communities, and societies. In defying the norms of Hearing culture, Deaf culture has set up a view that is, in its own way, just as exclusionary.

Michelle saw how the Deaf community excluded certain people, but she felt that it was a culture that she was comfortable in and she didn’t have the desire to attempt to fit in with the Hearing world. I also understand this concept, but I see it differently. I can’t fit in with the hearing world entirely and I can’t fit in with the Deaf world entirely. I’m in the middle, which makes it difficult to be part of the Deaf community.

The term “community” indicates a group of people, or a segment of the population, that has shared goals, beliefs, experiences, or simply lives in proximity. Although most deaf people are geographically scattered, they do comprise a distinct community with ASL and the schools for the deaf as their socio-linguistic heart. Thus, “Deaf community” includes people from mainstreamed backgrounds, alumni of oral schools, persons with cochlear implants, and those whose first language in English—all of these disqualifying factors to membership in Deaf culture. The Deaf community also includes hearing families, friends, supporters, and advocates of Deaf people—even if they’re not native-ASL signers.

Instead of continuing to focus on the negative aspects of Deaf Culture, I would like to point out some positive things—the things that attracted Michelle to embrace the Deaf culture entirely. Deaf Culture has many publications: Silent News, DeafNation, SIGNews, Deaf Life, and tons of others. There are catalogs chock full of books written by Deaf authors covering a wide range of topics. Some have really interesting accounts of Deaf history and folklore. In addition, there are numerous Deaf performing artists such as Clayton Valli, Patrick Graybill, Bernard Bragg, Mary Beth Miller, CJ Jones, Rathskellar, and many others. There are countless organizations such as the National Association for the Deaf and its many statewide affiliates. There are tons of Deaf social clubs and athletics organizations where Deaf people socialize and compete in sporting events.

Like Michelle, I agree that some cultural aspects of the Deaf World are vital in providing a healthy sense of well-being. It focuses on what Deaf people CAN do, as opposed to focusing on what's wrong. More than anything, there's a sense of belonging, and of validation. Interacting with hearing people can be exhausting. It's not uncommon for me and other Deaf people to attend a gathering and come home totally wiped out from the effort it took to communicate with the Hearing people. However, at Deaf social gatherings, it could be 2am and nobody wants to leave. Club owners actually have to turn the lights out and herd everyone out the door. Conversations continue outside under a street light or after hours in a coffee shop. Communication in sign language is fluid and effortless, which is why these gatherings last until the early morning.

Michelle is the perfect role model for Deaf people, which is why she was crowned Miss Deaf USA in 2010. She is an example that Deaf people can do anything, except hear. She was successful in high school and got her Master's degree. She has traveled all over the world and is dedicated to bettering the Deaf community.

Michelle and I have different views when it comes to Deaf Culture. If you're not Deaf, you don't belong--that's blatant prejudice. I'm not Hearing, but I'm not completely Deaf. I'm somewhere in the middle. Without my hearing aids, I hear nothing. Michelle stopped using her hearing aids because being a member of the deaf community usually requires no technology "fixers." If I wanted to immerse myself fully into the Deaf Culture, I would most likely have to discontinue using my hearing aids. This is a perfect example of being torn between both worlds. Deaf people have always resisted the attempts of Hearing people to eliminate sign language and assimilate them into the Hearing mainstream. No matter where you go, it's common for Deaf people to seek out other Deaf people and prefer company of Deaf people. In Deaf culture there is a sense of elitism, and I don't necessarily agree with this attitude. I am proud of being Deaf and I like my Deaf friends and I like using sign language, but I don't like the attitude that some people are better than other people.

Deaf Culture can be seen as positive. There are support groups, clubs, organizations, events, literature, and countless of other resources and materials for the Deaf people. There is a sense of belonging and validation. I think that's the biggest aspect of Deaf Culture. It's all about respect, unity, understanding, and validation.

Michelle Koplitz is an inspiration to all Deaf individuals. She works hard and is able to accomplish whatever she sets her mind to. She has the acceptance she desires from the Deaf Community. She advocates for others and has a passion for life and spreading understanding. Meeting Michelle and her family was so wonderful and it really made me think long and hard about my views concerning the Deaf Culture and community. Diversity is a long-stretched issue that can be pondered upon for a very long time. Currently, I am happy with where I am at and with my place in both the Hearing and the Deaf world.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:30 pm
DarknecrosisX wrote a review...

Hey Purple, sorry this took so long to get around to, but I’m here now, so let’s get on with the review!
This was a brilliant read, I learned a lot about deaf culture and the common conflict and shortcomings of both those with the ability to hear and not so. Much I had already known before this, but this gave me another view on how the community of those who live without sound, a particularly valuable opinion considering it is from someone who is stuck between both groups. However, before I begin writing about my views on the topic (because I find it hard to stop sometimes ;) ) I’ll begin with the error you made:

“Deaf people are capably of anything,”- ‘capable’. Most likely a typo, but be sure to spell check before you post.

And that was the only thing I could spot. Now onto my opinions on the topics addressed by this piece. Everyone is open to their beliefs and perceptions, and I hope you understand this, but I apologise if anything I say offends you. As a very strong believer of evolution and Darwinism, from a genetic point of view, those born without hearing due to a hereditary gene are inferior in evolutionary terms. This does not mean, however, that they are inferior as beings. As you said in this essay: deaf people are capable of anything besides hearing. This is just as mutes are without speaking, the blind without sight and so on. It is important for anyone born with a disability or genetic setback to overcome any obstacles they face, after all, this is what makes our society.
Yet, relating back to what I said about evolution, it truly disgusts me that people who are ‘purebred’ deafs gain some kind of social respect from this. Nobody deserves special treatment due to their inheritance; respect, I believe, is something to be earned, but this is seen in many groups, not just those hard-of-hearing. I disapprove of this simply because it promotes segregation, which many people want to avoid, yet there will always be those who think separation of groups achieves something.

Enough on my views, I should probably move onto the content of the essay. Essentially, it held opinionated and educated information on the topic it addressed, which is always good (nobody wants to read a misinformed article), so that I commend you for. However, I felt there were some areas that perhaps required elaboration. For example, you mentioned the “strict Deaf Culture criteria”, but what exactly is the criteria? One may be able to guess, but even then that is merely an estimation, so I felt this area required a little more information.

Aside from that, I think this was very well written, although you should perhaps avoid going off on tangents and be sure to order the content to make sure your audience doesn't forget where they were at. But, yes, really well done!

Regards
DNX

Cadi wrote a review...

Hey there, Purple!

First up, thanks for posting this! Stuff I knew before about the Deaf community could pretty much be summed up as "it exists", so it was nice to read something telling me a bit more. I was particularly interested to read about the discrimination from within the Deaf community - while it doesn't surprise me as such, it was something I hadn't thought about before, and it's always good to be reminded that there are things we haven't thought of yet (and then to think about them, of course!).

Overall, I think this is a good essay. I like the way you've taken the conference and Michelle Koplitz and used them as a vehicle for delivering your points about the community. I like how you've brought your own experiences in, but also given us general information about the Deaf community - it's a nice balance.

In terms of improving this, my main points would be about the structure of the piece. I think it's a bit muddled in places, and might benefit from making and sticking rigidly to a clear outline. For example, you talk about technology being a 'betrayal' of the Deaf community in two places; for another, in your second paragraph, you introduce Michelle, then drop in a couple of lines about Deaf people and ableism in general, and then return to a biography of Michelle. The Michelle bits and the general bits seem disconnected, and I think you could stand to either integrate them better (relate ableism in general back to the achievements Michelle made), or separate them out (introduce and give a biography of Michelle, and then make general statements).

By that, I'm not suggesting that you clump everything about Michelle in one place, and everything else in another - I think it's good that you've threaded the story throughout, but I think it would be good if you brought in a bit more of a "first, Michelle story, then how that relates to general things" structure in your sections of essay. (I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm saying this very well.)

(I appreciate the irony of my suggesting better structure in a very confused and unstructured review! I'm sorry!)

I would suggest a kind of 'section' structure along the lines of:

--Introduction (Conference & Miss Deaf USA)
--Brief early bio of Michelle
--Ableism, what it is, how it's wrong (relate back to Michelle bio)
--Later-life bio, focusing on Michelle's embracing of Deaf culture
--Slightly more depth on what Deaf culture is
--Shortcomings of the Deaf community - elitism etc. Your & Michelle's experiences with that.
--Contrast your response and Michelle's to the elitism.
--Deaf people preferring each others' company & benefits of Deaf community
--Contrast your & Michelle's views of Deaf culture overall
--Conclude - Michelle being a role model & your conclusion from hearing her speak (aka mostly stuff from your last paragraph)

Obviously this is my structure, not yours, and it's your essay, so this is just a suggestion of how I would go about laying it out! This is how i would split up the subject - the sections are not necessarily of even lengths, but I would aim to keep the topic of each roughly contained within its own section, rather than letting bits tumble out into other sections.

Other than my (unexpectedly long) thing about the structure, I have very little else to suggest for this! I think you have just the right amount of explanation vs assumed knowledge, the right balance of personal vs general, and a tone of writing that's just right for this kind of article.

I hope this has been helpful, if a tad jumbled. If you've got questions about things I've said, or if you want me to do a spelling-and-grammar nitpick (though I haven't noticed much to suggest you need one) please feel free to PM me about it. Otherwise, see you around!

Cadi x

megsug wrote a review...

Hey there Purple,
Here as requested!
Welcome to YWS. I hope you'll enjoy it here.

I found this very interesting. I love learning about different cultures, but the deaf community never crossed my mind. How intriguing! I think you raise very valid points that would be very challenging to deal with. To 'not be deaf enough' is a strange thought to one not familiar with the deaf culture.

I'm really glad you requested a review and brought this to my attention. I really enjoyed it.

Now, I realize you wrote this some time ago, but I'm going to go ahead and go through my reviewing/nitpicking spiel.

There has always been a negative determination of Deaf people’s abilities based on their disability.

I understand what you're trying to say here, but I feel like I have to think about it too hard to really understand it.
I think my main issue with this sentence is the word determination. I think it can be used that way, but it's an uncommon usage.
I can make a suggestion, but it won't be great. How about:
There has always been the assumption that Deaf people's handicap negatively impact their abilities.

Ableism promotes the belief that people with disabilities are inferior to able-bodied people.

I feel like this would be more effective at the beginning of the paragraph because it's a core part of the example you open with.

Deaf people are capable of anything

Michelle was mainstreamed in her school district and used an interpreter in all her classes.

Perhaps distinct is correct. I've never heard it used like that. I looked it up just in case and couldn't find such a definition.

she felt too involved in the Hearing world.

I may be being dense, but I can't seem to understand this. How was she too involved?

I’ve seen this prejudiced attitude among many people of the Deaf community and Michelle talked about her experience, which is a little different from my own.

Experience what? Entering the deaf community? The prejudice of the deaf community?

If you’re Deaf, you are Deaf.

Did you mean to have one contraction and one written out?

didn’t attend Gallaudet University.

Perhaps explain the significance of Gallaudet?

Thus, “Deaf community” includes people from mainstreamed backgrounds, alumni of oral schools, persons with cochlear implants, and those whose first language in English—all of these disqualifying factors to membership in Deaf culture.

This confused me. Unless... Is the deaf community a different entity from the deaf culture? As a hearing individual with no previous background with deafness at all, this would have to be spelled out before hand for me to fully comprehend what you mean.

I'm not sure why this is included down here and not at the beginning with the rest of her history.

because being a member of the Deaf community

I'm not sure about this typo, since I didn't know some people capitalized deaf and hearing, but to stay consistent with the rest of the piece...

Those were all my nitpicks.
In general, I would say that sometimes for the transitions from paragraph to paragraph you sacrifice the flow of the actual paragraph. Like with the second paragraph, you open with a sentence more about Michelle, but don't address her again in the same paragraph until the second half. Personally, I feel like it's more important to have a seamless paragraph then smooth transitions between them.

I'm not entirely sure I'm getting what I want across with that, but I think I'm going to leave it.

Second, often I was a bit lost because I don't know anything about the deaf community at all. If you could slip in some explanations so people like me could keep up, it might make this a little easier to understand.

As it is, you have a really good essay. You have a fantastic topic, and you present it in a down to earth way that makes it easy to relate to, even though I'm not deaf. Plus, you have a really unique view point that makes what you write interesting.

I hoped this helped.
If you have any questions, just PM me or write on my wall.
Megsug

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women