z

Young Writers Society



In Memory

by Hannah


Leo (his English name) told me the legend of the heart-shaped lake a long time ago.

He told me that when he was in the military, he worked in an area behind a chain link fence where civilians were forbidden to go. It was just a military base – just the base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and nothing else, because the area could not be developed. Just the base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and stars.

He said,

“I’ve never seen so many stars like that. It seemed like stars were falling down from the sky.” And the animals were so wild they were not afraid of humans. Roe deer, fireflies, eagles, hawks, wild pigs. Leo feeds them leftovers with his comrades. He feels, over the course of his assignment, that he raised them. They know him. He feels them look at him with their eyes and know him.

He skips his last meal and leaves it all to boars. He realizes how much of an outsider he will become – how soon the fence will keep him out just as well as everyone else. But before he leaves, he goes to his post for one more afternoon on the mountain overlooking the heart-shaped lake.

Long ago, in the village on the shore of this lake, there was a couple: a patient, diligent man and a beautiful, loyal woman. All the villagers loved them each separately, and loved them each more when paired. The people knew of their relationship and smiled as they courted. The man and woman were in the Spring of love – cherry blossom days and light breeze whispers in the evenings.

They often spent time together on the shore of the lake, like anyone else. Swimming, walking, wading. Near them, children ran and splashed while their mothers scrubbed clothing on the boulders half-submerged. Men took small boats to the middle to fish. All the while, the couple sat on a hollow, fallen tree and let the day pass them together.

They planned to marry. The man had given his proposal on that familiar log. But misfortunes come without warning: before they could wed, war broke out. The man left, promising that he would return soon, return soon to his love and marry her.

She sat on the log and waited for him, though the other villagers spent more and more time inside. They hid from the military men that marched through. The women of the village urged the woman to marry, and soon, before the military men took her away to the battlefield. She needed a house and a husband to guard her.

But the woman stood firm: “I will marry no one but him”. And whenever the war men came for unmarried women, she managed to hide somewhere until they had passed.

So ten years went by. The war was prolonged. Then one day it ended. The woman sat again on the log that she and her lover had shared. It was there the neighbor sat beside her to deliver the news that the man had not survived the war. She nodded, but would not give him a reply.

That night, the villagers say, they slept soundly, and when they awoke the lake had been transformed to the heart shape it is now. The log and the woman were gone, though some villagers claim that when the fishermen fall over the sides of their boats, they feel a buoyant pressure from below, something pushing them back up to the world of air.

On a mountain overlooking the lake, Leo knows there is no soft hand, no push to rescue him. He is already leagues in the sky. There is lake and earth and sky and lake and earth and sky further away and beyond that, and a cigarette lit, propped on the boulder next to him. Leo regrets. Didn’t he have anymore leftovers to give? His pig had a black spot on the right side of its face. Leo called him Spotted. He wondered if somehow the pig would remember him. But he knows it will snuffle away into the woods just as eagerly as it came. He knows should he trespass months later, there will just be pigs again.

Leo feels his uniform heavy and scratchy as it’s never been, prickling even through his undershirt. He feels that everything should be felt, not just wool and duty, but bark, cattails, fog even though he’ll never see it up close. It fades away when he tries to chase it early in the morning.

He takes a long inhale, feels the cool air in the back of his throat. Drizzle makes pinprick sounds on the leaves around him, pinprick points of coolness on his cheeks, colored like ground cinnamon spilled in yellow curry.

But he must turn. There must be movement. There is always movement as his cigarette goes spinning off, flicked over the edge of the cliff, but it never feels like it’s falling. Spinning, spinning always, caught in a net of air. But Leo must descend. He must take solid steps on the path down the mountain, aware as soon as he turns that there is an expanse at his back, open in all ways, the lake, the earth, the sky, the moon on the other side of the world, and he doesn’t know if he’s suffocating from the pressure or from the lack of pressure, but he knows that after today, military service will just be something he can call the hardest thing he’s ever done in his life, that nothing will hurt this much again. A breeze blows against his face the whole way down the mountain.

His Korean name means hero of the East. I learned that while I learned how to wait for a man who lived across oceans and great sweeping swathes of land. I learned it while he told stories to pass the time. I learned his name and curled into my idea of his heart.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 5211
Reviews: 184

Donate
Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 pm
veeren wrote a review...



Hey there Hannah, you wouldn't mind if I dropped a review here in the middle of our competition would you x)

In the first paragraph;

Spoiler! :
... he worked in an area behind a chain link fence where civilians were forbidden to go.


You should rephrase that. I'd put it as: ... chain link fence that was forbidden to civilians.

I'd continue with nitpicks, but I noticed you tend to have some poetic tendencies in your writing, and unfortunately for you, this is a short story. You aren't allowed the same privileges ;)

Some examples of this would be:

- The first paragraph, repeating yourself with your fancy words and statements.
- The second paragraph. The 'He said' shouldn't be its own line and should be followed by the speech that comes after. Only then should you start the next paragraph.
- Also the second paragraph when you list the animals in their own sentence.
- I think you get the point.

And at times, your speeches seem unnatural, as in purposely poetic. They aren't realistic.

That being said, your writing itself is fabulous. You're no doubt excellent with sentence structure as well as content, it's just the way you everything write that turns me off.

Your poetic influence seems to take over whether you're writing poetry or not, but maybe that's something you did intentionally.

If you found anything I said wrong or incorrect, please tell me, I might be missing something that's obvious ^.^' Otherwise, great work.




User avatar
178 Reviews


Points: 652
Reviews: 178

Donate
Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 am
Paracosm wrote a review...



Hey Hannah! I'm going to give you a quick review. My review will focus on sentence fluency, and the sense of setting. I really enjoyed this piece, and I hope you find my review helpful!

Sentence Fluency

Overall, you do a great job varying the length, pattern, and sounds of your sentences. There were a few sentences that stood out to me. Here they are:

Just the base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and stars.

The way this sentence was warded, it sounds like the soldiers are posted on stars. This is nit-picky of me, but I think the wording would sound better if you said 'the stars' instead. We all know the soldiers aren't posted on stars, but for some reason, that little image intruded while I was reading this sentence.

Roe deer, fireflies, eagles, hawks, wild pigs.

Again, this is nit-picky, but this sentence is a fragment. I've read plenty of stories that use fragments when they are making descriptions. The Hunger Games is one example, Suzanne Collins used them a little excessively. In the case of this one little sentence though, I think you make better use of them than she ever did.

He realizes how much of an outsider he will become – how soon the fence will keep him out just as well as everyone else.

I love the effect this sentence has! I think it could be amplified if you phased it differently, just to emphasize how alone he'll feel once he has to leave.

He takes a long inhale,

Inhale is a verb. I probably wouldn't have noticed this, but I do this all the time, and I have to remind myself to catch it!

He must take solid steps on the path down the mountain, aware as soon as he turns that there is an expanse at his back, open in all ways, the lake, the earth, the sky, the moon on the other side of the world, and he doesn’t know if he’s suffocating from the pressure or from the lack of pressure, but he knows that after today, military service will just be something he can call the hardest thing he’s ever done in his life, that nothing will hurt this much again.

This sentence is well worded, but it's pretty long.

Setting

I thoroughly enjoyed this story, the mountain and the lake are a beautiful setting. You do a great job with the mountains imagery. That being said, I didn't know this story was in Korea until the last paragraph. I would've liked a more specific sense of setting earlier in the story, that way I could truly appreciate your beautiful descriptions.

Anyway, I hope my review was helpful, Hannah! I still owe you what, four? Since you won another review race? :P Keep up the good work, and keep writing!

[




User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:05 pm
View Likes
Kale wrote a review...



So... I've had this piece open for days intending to review it (for days), but I just haven't been able to find the energy to really review it. But since you've been waiting so long for a review, I figure I'll just have to kick my tired butt into gear and just review this. Even if I'll probably look back on this review later and wonder what the heck I was thinking while writing it.

The one thing about this that really felt off was how the narrator disappears and then suddenly makes herself known again at the end. She's only mentioned in three paragraphs, and the rest of the story is Leo and the legend. It makes her return at the ending feel a bit abrupt and inappropriate, because there is very little tying her into the other two stories.

At the same time, you do lay a foundation for her to return at the end. It's just not very clear. The nesting of past tense in present tense in past tense helps keep the stories separate, but it could also tie the narrator and the legend much closer together if you developed the parallels between the narrator and Leo's relationship and the characters in the legend's relationship a bit more. The tense by itself isn't enough to carry the parallel between the narrator and the loyal woman, and I think a mention of waiting all the way at the very start of the story would go a long way in tying the legend and the narrator together.

With that said, the prose itself was quite lovely, and I liked the repetition woven in throughout. There was just enough for emphasis, but not so much it felt redundant, and it really added to the feeling that this was a story being told by the narrator to a listener rather than being a more structured, carefully-constructed piece. It was very nice to read, and nicely written. If you could just tie the narrator herself more into the story, then that feeling would become even stronger, as the stories we tell also reveal a lot about ourselves, and tying the narrator more clearly into the other two stories would reflect that.




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:40 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello!

I decided reviewing you would be fun so here I am :D

Specifics

1.

Leo (his English name) told me the legend of the heart-shaped lake a long time ago.


This sentence is weakened by the brackets! I'd suggest rephrasing it to something like: 'His English name was Leo and he told me the legend of the heart shaped lake a long, long time ago.' That would fit with your storytelling tone and have a smoother flow.

2.
It was just a military base – just the base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and nothing else, because the area could not be developed. Just the base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and stars.
I'm not sure I like the repetition of just here. It feels a little awkward. I'd suggest a quick re-write with just a few tweaks, maybe...

It was a military base – only the base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and nothing else, because the area couldn't be developed. Only a base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and stars.

I love the general fragmentation of it, I think it's the word 'just' which is grating on me. And I may be being unfair because I've come across it too much today already.

3.
Leo feeds them leftovers with his comrades. He feels, over the course of his assignment, that he raised them. They know him. He feels them look at him with their eyes and know him.
The sudden switch to present tense is disconcerting and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. Try to stick to one tense.

4. Hmmm. I like what you have going on here but I'm finding it difficult to connect with the couple as it's a very folklore sort of style and they don't feel like individual personalities to me. We haven't got to see a specific example of how they met or hear words they might have said and that makes it quite difficult. But at the same time I wouldn't want you to ruin your style. If there could just be one extra scene perhaps and a concentration on details, like a scarf he buys for her or a carving he makes of her.

5. Loving the descriptions of the transformation of the lake and how she takes the news. I feel somewhat closer to the female character now - if you could do that sooner it would be lovely.

Overall

I'm finding this a difficult piece to review as there's much I like about the style and the descriptions but the plot has a feeling of disconnect and I can't quite follow it through. I like the links between the heart shaped lake and this other military man who tries to seek a comfort in an old myth but at the same time finds there isn't any as by nature the myth is of the water and he's a military man with two feet firmly on the rocks. But. I don't know who this speaker is or what her relation to him is. At the very beginning I thought it was someone passing through who had just met him. It didn't feel to me, in his introduction, that they were in any way acquainted with each other before this. Yet at the end she seems to hold some feeling of love for him.

I think the first thing to do is to clean up the tenses and use some other way to define what is in the past and present or make it more distinctive. Make the sections long enough for a change in tense to make sense and to add something to the story.

Give us more of the character Leo at the beginning before you start the legend. I want there to be something to look forward to returning to. I feel that if you established him earlier, it would be easier to draw a parallel between him and the military man in the myth.

So I liked it, but I think it needs some polishing and I think you could stretch out a little further in your descriptions during the legend. They're far more real and far more meaningful when you describe Leo and his cigarette and maybe you wanted that contrast there, but the legend can have a different tone and still be of an equal quality. Make us care more for the couple and it will increase our care for Leo and his sweetheart?

Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions you have!

Heather xx




User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 1592
Reviews: 42

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 am
Raelyn723 wrote a review...



Hiya Hannah! I really liked this story, it was interesting and I've always liked legends, so this was really cool.

I think it was a little confusing when you switched into saying what Leo was doing in the present tense. Especially at the beginning, it just seemed sudden and out of place.

The legend was captivating and sounded very local legend-y if you know what I mean, and that was very good. Again, with the present tense after it though. I enjoyed your descriptions of his uniform, and just your descriptions in general but since you're telling the story in first person (or at least, you use "I" in the beginning and the end parts) it causes a bit of confusion. How would your real main character know what he is doing? How it felt?

Overall, this is a really good story. It's very interesting and got me hooked within the first couple of lines. I hope I helped at least a little, and if there is any more to the story I'd love to know if you update it!
Keep writing ;)
-Raelyn




User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 pm
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hannahbobannah, my love!

I am here to finally review this, my comments earlier were just short and brief and you deserve more of a look!

I like that you use parenthesis for his English name. It is suggestive of the secondary, the less important, nature of the English and the name. So we already know that Leo is of two minds, two names, and he tells the narrator of a heart-shaped lake – romance already!
Kay, I’m going to skip to where the issue is:

That night, the villagers say, they slept soundly, and when they awoke the lake had been transformed to the heart shape it is now. The log and the woman were gone, though some villagers claim that when the fishermen fall over the sides of their boats, they feel a buoyant pressure from below, something pushing them back up to the world of air.


This is stale, awkward and utterly flat. The lack of description and the speed by which you rush through the event is the worst. The work so far is languid, lots of repetition and lots of slow description and movement. But here, the key of the entire piece, there’s four lines of blank narration. You and I know you could do better. Extend her shape of the lake, give us something about the log’s location now. How even though it could, it does not bob or something. We need more than the almost token lines about fishermen.

I learned his name and curled into my idea of his heart.

Again awkward. This time because of “my idea of his heart”, which I do actually like. The syntax and phrasing is jarring and I feel like it isn’t hard enough to end on. Of course this is a soft piece, not a hard and sharp one, so perhaps a quiet dying is better than a rough snuff. Actually, I think we only need one more word to make it just right. That sounds off but the rhythm of the line is wonky and one more word would slow it down and pace it a little better.

The pacing of your piece is wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a little bland for me (not enough colour for a poet like me!) but I think it works to the narrator and the telling of the tale. I like this, if that wasn’t clear, I don’t think it’s your best because you belong in colour and richness and this is the opposite of that.

Thank you for the read, as always
~♥




User avatar
87 Reviews


Points: 6040
Reviews: 87

Donate
Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:27 am
Starleene wrote a review...



So…we meet again Hannah!

Well then, let’s cut to the chase. I am ready to review! Go!

“Leo (his English name) told me the legend of the heart-shaped lake a long time ago.”

It’s always been a pet peeve of mine, when people put parenthesis in their writing. I think it’s distracting to the eye. I wonder if there’s any way for you to eliminate the usage of the parenthesis in favour of different punctuation. If that’s possible then don’t forget to add a comma after name!

“It was just a military base – just the base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and nothing else, because the area could not be developed. Just the base, the soldiers posted on rocks, and stars.”

The thought behind this is very poetic but if a reader isn’t paying attention they could easily get confused. Also, by using the words “nothing else” you’re stating that there isn’t anything within the vicinity of this military base, thereby eliminating the need rephrase and say “because the area could not be developed.” If you are bent on staying with this, then maybe you could elaborate on why the land could not be developed?

‘“I’ve never seen so many stars like that. It seemed like stars were falling down from the sky.”’

This is a very well structure sentence but I feel as if the fluidity of it is hindered by the usage of the word “down.” Where else would the stars fall? They certainly wouldn’t fall up!


“He realizes how much of an outsider he will become – how soon the fence will keep him out just as well as everyone else.”

I don’t know why but I really love this sentence. This is probably my favourite line.

“…cherry blossom days and light breeze whispers in the evenings.”

This is my second favourite line. I say this because it’s so simply descriptive. It isn’t over populated with pomp or overly structured, it’s beautiful. I can almost see the cherry blossoms falling from the tree and a light breeze lifting the ends of my hair. Magical.

“Near them, children ran and splashed while their mothers scrubbed clothing on the boulders half-submerged.”

I could be wrong, but I feel as if there’s a natural pause after splashed. A comma could possibly occupy this spot, eh?

“It was there the neighbor sat beside her to deliver the news that the man had not survived the war.”

Neighbour? For some reason your spelling is coming up wrong.

“On a mountain overlooking the lake, Leo knows there is no soft hand, no push to rescue him. He is already leagues in the sky. There is lake and earth and sky and lake and earth and sky further away and beyond that, and a cigarette lit, propped on the boulder next to him. Leo regrets. Didn’t he have anymore leftovers to give? His pig had a black spot on the right side of its face. Leo called him Spotted. He wondered if somehow the pig would remember him. But he knows it will snuffle away into the woods just as eagerly as it came. He knows should he trespass months later, there will just be pigs again.”

I feel as if this paragraph should be split in two, maybe before “Leo regrets.” I feel as if there is a beginning of a new train of thought and should probably be separated, but that’s your call.

“…pinprick points of coolness on his cheeks, colored like ground cinnamon spilled in yellow curry.”

This is a great use of poetic technique. The simile is believable and is a great comparison.


“His Korean name means hero of the East.”

I want to tell you the thoughts that may or may not be correct. Is the Leo the man who was supposed to marry the woman? It seems logical but, like I said, I could be wrong. That could be the link between who Leo is and what the heart-shaped lake symbolizes. I don’t know, this was a random thought that occurred to me.

Any who, I loved your story! You are truly a master at what you do! I loved the historical background of the war and how it could even reached the remotest of places.

Beautifully written! Loved it!

I cannot wait to read more of your work!

Good Luck! Happy Writing!

Starleene Out.




User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 2090
Reviews: 863

Donate
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper wrote a review...



I don't quite understand what I just read, but I do know it is well written.

The problem is that the stories don't seem to be connected in any meaningful way. One story is the story of Leo, who seems to be doing nothing but watching stuff and feeding animals. The second story is the legend of the lake. The legend is put inside Leo's story, but he doesn't seem to be telling it, nor does the narrator.

So at the end of the day, we have a lot of beautiful images and a neat legend, but they don't appear to be connected. It would have been better if the legend had a personal connection to Leo. I kept looking for some link between what Leo was doing and what the characters in the legend were doing and none seemed evident, but perhaps I missed something.

The last line looks like it was meant to be rather dramatic, but it kind of came off as a non-sequitur. His Korean name means hero of the East? So what? This makes me feel like I'm missing something important, that something that was supposed to have been conveyed didn't get conveyed.





Remember when dad's shoulders were the highest place on earth and your mom was your hero? Race issues were about who ran the fastest, war was only a car game. The most pain you felt was when you skinned your knees, and good byes only meant tomorrow? And we couldn't wait to grow up.
— Unknown