Face On The Wall

by Questio

I ran through the woods as fast as my little legs could carry me. Sunlight streamed through the branches high above me, warming my already sunburnt face. I jumped over rocks and logs, not bothering to stick to the path.

"Don't go far!" my dad yelled out in the wrong direction behind me. "Stay in sight of the camp!" I tried to roll my eyes like the big kids do, only succeeding in crossing them to look at my red nose.

"Ok Daddy!" I shouted back as loud as I could. I turned and kept running until I could barely see our green and yellow tent. I stopped to catch my breath, as that iswhat you are supposed to do when you run a long time. Bent over so that I could almost touch my toes, breathing as hard and loud as one could breathe, I noticed the coolest thing ever in the history of the universe.

A cave. Awesome!

I ran over to the huge opening in the seemingly enormousbluff we'd set up camp beside. I turned, struggling to see our tent through the woods. There! I could still see it! I wasn't to far!

Slowly I tiptoed in. "Any bears in here?" I asked, just to make sure I wasn't disturbing one. You never know, one might decide to hibernate early, as to escape the hot June sun. It had already sunburnt me...

When I got no answer, I decided it must be safe. I walked to the very back, which wasn't very far. I could still see the outside from the back wall. Small cave, I thought disappointedly.

I felt something nudge my toe through my strap-on sandals. A small triangle shaped rock. Wait a sec, an arrowhead!

I bend down to pick it up, rolling it around in my dirty hands. No, not an arrowhead, I concluded after examining it. Just a rock.

I dropped the rock back onto the cave floor. Oh well. I turned around, ready to go back to camp and have some delicious cheese sandwiches, when I saw the scariest thing ever in the entire world.

There was a face on the wall. Not a person's face, but a painting. And it didn't look normal. It was all red and messed up, made out of different shapes and colors. The cheeks were square and red, the eyes big green circles. My dad would call it a "Native American spirit mask." I called it creepy.

The temperature in the cave seemed to drop from dry and super hot down to freezing. Goose bumps popped up all along my arms and neck. Ok, this was getting really scary!

I turned and ran for the opening. Once I was outside, I promptly tripped on a root. Scurrying around onto my back and crap walking away as fast as I could, I saw the back of the cave. The face was gone. Even scarier, someone was there.

The person was a big shadow, he didn't really have a body. Just a shadow. And he was pointing at me.

I ran back to camp as fast as I could.

And I never did tell anyone about the face on the wall...

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:03 pm
Haven wrote a review...

Ello, ello, ello! Just wanted to say that this was very good short story. It was exactly what most would expect a small child to do. To run off into the woods even when their all sunburnt, I just love it. Reminds me of all the summer camping trips I took with my family. I also like how colorful you described the mask. Most people would have a hard time telling a story from a small child's point of view but in my own opinion, I think it was really good.

Blues wrote a review...

Hey, Questio! Here as requested. :)

I liked this :3 It was sweet and cute and that character is adorable!

You have a lot of reviews already, so I'll keep this short.

While I liked your story, I did notice that in a few places, the writing didn't seem like it was from a kid in year two, rather someone older in year four or five. I certainly wouldn't have known what an arrowhead was when I was 6 or 7. You could correct those issues or perhaps you could make it so that it was as if he was telling the story as if he was older and remembering something from when he was younger. That could be a path you could choose and that would help you show off your writing skills for that contest :)

Also, I do think you need some description here. You can use the environment to reflect how the narrator sees things; maybe to give that frightening mood, the forest could be quite dark and you use words that reflect his mood. They didn't really seem that scared and I would've loved to see how they were through their body language and their tone in the narrative.

On that note, I did feel like the story ended far too quickly. I felt like it could've been expanded so that I had a chance to feel frightened and feel the suspense build up: the silence; the short sentences contrasting with longer ones; the sudden actions. I want to feel scared with the narrator and I thought it was too short for that to happen.

And that's all from me! :) I hope my review helped and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Keep writing, and best of luck! :D

-Blues.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 pm
Rydia wrote a review...

Hi Questio!

The link didn't tell me which it was you'd like reviewed so I'm terribly sorry if I went for the wrong one. What I'll do though is, I'll add the other one to my list as well so I should get to it in a couple of days and then you'll have a review for each!

1. Passive vs active. Okay so you're writing in first person, but your sentences are structured almost as if they were second person. You could easily replace I with he or she and there wouldn't be any problem reading it. The beauty of using first person is you get to be a little more fragmented and to fit the narrator's thoughts and feelings around the words. You get to bring the reader a little closer.

I hope you'll forgive me for playing with your writing, but here's an example of what I'd do with your opening lines:

I was in the woods and the trees ran past me in a blur of brown and green like finger-painting. I moved my legs and I moved to the beat of windmills, hurtling along with the wind. It was bright. The sunlight dazzled me, warming my already sunburnt face. A rock loomed in front of me, then it was behind. I leapt and I soared as I tackled an obstacle course of rocks and logs; paths are pathetic.

2.

"Ok Daddy!"
This is more of a personalised thing as I think 'Ok' has now become a recognised abbreviation, though it's usually written O.K. Even that looks wrong to me and I'd rather see people write 'okay' out in full.

3. I love the childhood elements here. The things like stopping to catch your breath because that's what people do and how that leads into bending down and trying to touch his/ her toes. Those really help to build your character - nice work!

4. Tenses. Be careful with your tenses! Most of this is in past, but there's a line or two here and there, like 'I bend down to pick it up' that slips into present.

5. I don't want you to tell us it's getting scary, I want to see her/ his fear increase! Does this child reach out to touch the face, at first strangely fascinated by it. What then is it that makes it scary? Is it that they turn to the side to pull a face and the eyes seem to follow them. Or do they turn away to look at something else - start following a line of moss on the cave wall - and then out of the corner of their eye they think it moves? I want to see this child's imagination get the better of them!

Description

You need more of this! There's a few things here and there but for the most part your writing feels a little rushed and while a child's eyes will move from one thing to another quickly and won't pay too much attention to it, you can give this rushed excitement without cutting out all of the description. One thing you should keep in mind is that there's more than one sense and children are particularly aware of this.

There's sound - does she hear a river not far away?
There's touch - what does the wall feel like? Is it rough and cold? Strangely warm?
Smell - are there any strange smells in the cave? What do the woods smell like?
Taste - this is the tricky one, but can she taste the freshness of the air? Is she snacking on something?

If you're still unsure about description, there's an article here which you could read!

There's some great things about this like your character and your ideas, but I want to see you put more time into building the tension and the atmosphere. There's no point where I'm afraid for your character because the scary part is over too quickly! I want to get caught up in this child's imagination and fear the scary face on the wall as well.

It's a good start, but few pieces of great writing are written in one day ;)

Keep writing and let me know if you have any questions!

Heather xxx

megsug wrote a review...

Hey there Questio,
I'm here as requested. I apologize for any repeats as I just skimmed over the other reviews.
And don't worry! I'm not good at first person either.
You have definitely gotten some reviews on grammar, so I'm going to focus on a few more general things. Don't get me wrong! Grammar is important.

First, I don't think you suck at first person. I actually thought you pulled this off quite charmingly. The MC is young and sweet. It makes me think of the good ole days when we half expected an animal to respond and believed any rock could be a artifact.

I have a few nitpicks:

Sunlight streamed through the branches high above me, warming my already sunburnt face...
It had already sunburnt me...

You mention the MC being sunburned several times. The second bit breaks the 'flow' of the paragraph it's part of. Since it's not necessary and has actually been covered, I would nix the second part.

"Don't go far!" my dad yelled out in the wrong direction behind me.

First, I hate to disagree with a fellow reviewer, but don't capitalize 'my.' In published books, they don't do that. It's a common mistake.

What does 'wrong direction' mean exactly? Does that mean the MC's dad is behind her, or is really yelling in the opposite direction of the MC?

I tried to roll my eyes like the big kids do, only succeeding in crossing them to look at my red nose.

Aw! So cute.

I stopped to catch my breath, as that iswhat you are supposed to do when you run a long time.

Sometimes you falter in your voicing, going more mature from the innocent bluntness of a small child. I know no elementary schooler who would say 'as that,' but you do this several times. Stick with because and you'll be fine. It makes the sentence awkward to read.

I noticed the coolest thing ever in the history of the universe.
A cave. Awesome!

The coolest thing ever... partnered with Awesome! makes this bit a tad repetitive, don't you think? I enjoy the coolest thing ever... but if you want to nix that you can. Either way, you've gotta get rid of one or the other.

seemingly enormousbluff

This is another of your voicing blunders. I know I didn't know what a bluff was until much later on. Choose small words on purpose like 'cliff.'

Small cave, I thought disappointedly.

Not a word. Try 'in disappointment' or 'I thought, disappointed.'

the scariest thing ever in the entire world.

Right after 'the coolest thing ever...' this is more repetition that isn't that great. How about actually showing us how the MC felt rather than telling us it was so scary. Try: My heart literally jumped to my throat. That's not fantastic, but you get the gist.

Okay, I lied. There were several nitpicks.

In general, some of the best advice I ever got as a writer of your age: Don't tell, show. Show us how terrified your MC was. We don't even know how he/she reacted to the shadow. How excited was he/she when he/she thought he/she discovered an arrowhead? How disappointed was he/she when it wasn't an arrowhead? Even the smallest emotions give a story that spark all readers want.

Other than that: your ending. I want more. I was left with... That's it? Come on! Thousands of ghost stories end with: 'And I never told anyone about it.' This piece shows real potential! YOU show real potential. Push yourself! Have the shadow give chase, have the MC drag her dad back to the cave. End with something that will stick with your reader forever, leave our scalps prickling.

As it is, you have a very good grasp on your MC even though we know very little about him/her! You even make it so this lack of knowing seems insignificant. I don't need to know his/her name because I know that he/she like exploring, dreams to be a big kid, and ready to find something exciting. That's very talented of you.

That's it for me. I hope this helped. If you have any questions, just PM me or post on my wall.
If you ever need another review, you know where my WRFF thread is.
Megsug

Questio says...

It was really hard to try and write from the point of veiw of a second-grader, and I am glad that you liked the piece. As its for a writing contest, I did have a limited word count, though...

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:33 am
Starleene wrote a review...

Hey!

Starleene here!

I believe that any writer should have the best shot and to do that you need an excellent review, regardless of age. Not that I'm promising that, but I think all of your reviews should provide you with a stable base.

To begin:

"Don't go far!" my dad yelled out in the wrong direction behind me. "Stay in sight of the camp!"

Because you used an exclamation point and ended the thought my should be capitalized.

“I stopped to catch my breath, as that iswhat you are supposed to do when you run a long time.”

Separate is and what in this sentence.

“Bent over so that I could almost touch my toes, breathing as hard and loud as one could breathe, I noticed the coolest thing ever in the history of the universe.”

I think by adding “in the history of the universe” you take the writing from a childs point of view to childish. It could do without it completely.

“ A cave. Awesome! ”

Hmm, I don’t think you need to add awesome to show how excited the MC (Main character) is to see it.

“I ran over to the huge opening in the seemingly enormousbluff we'd set up camp beside.”

Separate enormous and bluff, I believe that was a slight typo here.

“I turned, struggling to see our tent through the woods. There! I could still see it! I wasn't to far!”

Too not to. I believe one of the other writers mentioned a website to help you with the difference.

“When I got no answer, I decided it must be safe.”

I don’t think a bear would answer…especially if it were hibernating; just a thought.

“I felt something nudge my toe through my strap-on sandals. A small triangle shaped rock. Wait a sec, an arrowhead!”

“I felt my foot nudge something” would probably fit more properly into this sentence as the rock is an inanimate object and can’t move on its own.

“I bend down to pick it up, rolling it around in my dirty hands. No, not an arrowhead, I concluded after examining it. Just a rock.”

“I bend down to pick it up, rolling it around in my dirty hands.

No not an arrowhead, I concluded after examining it, just a rock.”

Separate the MCs thoughts from the actual writing. It helps and I’ve gotten this critique many times.

“…when I saw the scariest thing ever in the entire world.”

This sentence is written in a very childlike manor. You should probably re-examine it and see what other options you could come up with.

“My dad would call it a "Native American spirit mask."’

How does he know what his dad would call it? Does his dad work in a career field like this maybe you should tell us how he would know what the painting is called.

“Ok, this was getting really scary!”

This is also the MCs thoughts and should be separated from the sentence.

“Scurrying around onto my back and crap walking away as fast as I could, I saw the back of the cave.”

I believe you meant “crab.”

“And I never did tell anyone about the face on the wall...”

You should never start a sentence with and or but.

All in all this was a good piece that could use some work! Great Job! Can’t wait to see some more from you!

Starleene Out.

Cosmo says...

I think the childs point of view was part of the narrative of the protagonist, to help empathise with the character to when you were that age. That's why there are so many 'corrections' like "enormousbluff" and the use of "awesome" and the childish action of asking the bear if it was inside, I used to do that kind of thing all the time when I was 7 or 8. I could say all sorts about this review such as your view on the rock, and the view you have on the mask, just stuff like that is general knowledge, we take all kinds of things from our parents, I used to be able to name all the different kinds of Abbies and Churches when I was a kid, because my dad was into that kind of thing.

Just to point out! I mean no disrespect!

Starleene says...

None taken! Though I do believe in correct grammar no matter what point of view is taken. :) Though it is supposed to be told from a child%u2019s stand point, it doesn't necessarily have to be written like a child with childlike mistakes.

Questio says...

Most of those were typos.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 am
blakey789 wrote a review...

I'm not going to nitpick about small things cause you are 14, and I probably can't expect work that is really impressive. I was not any better than you when I was 14, so totally respect what you've written.
Now, for the things, according to me, you shouldn't use lines like, "scariest thing ever in the entire world", for it does not sound really good while describing a scene where you are feeling scary. You get the point that it is scariest thing that the narrator had encountered but it does not carry the weight of the terror the protagonist is feeling, so try not to use it.
Instead use, "If he wouldn't have seen it, he wouldn't have known the meaning of terror which now surged through him without warning."
You know something like that which makes it more serious and carry the expression of the scene just fine.
And also, "Ok, this was getting really scary!".
It seems very casual and the reader does not feel the expression behind the scene, the horror remains dead under these lines, you see, so ignore them for next time.
Rest, if you really want to get better, which I think you want, the best thing is read as much as you can. You'll learn naturally.
Best of luck! :)
Blakey789

Questio says...

I was trying to write the piece from the point of veiw of a second-grader, so I tried to keep it simple. Most of my works are more discriptive and less casual.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm
Nike wrote a review...

First off, this is alright. Your idea is okay, I mean... it's hard to write from a child's point of view. You managed.

When you said 'Awesome!' you didn't show the child's excitement to the awesomeness of the cave. And when you said 'Ok, this was getting really scary!' I didn't get the impression of her fright either. You have to be more descriptive.

Grammar: 8/10
Spelling: 9.5/10 You wrote 'crap' instead of 'crab'. I'm sure she didn't crap walk. If that's even a walk. Lol.

Re-read your story and find the errors you have. Correct them.
I understand that children want to be like 'big kids' but your character makes it sort of stereotypical. Show us why she wants to be like the 'big kids'.

Other than this ^^ you have done a good job. I wouldn't read it again though, it didn't necessarily pull me in. If you do want more readers, you have to make the whole story more believable. More child-like as well. I want to feel like the child while I read.

Inform me when you write more, I want to read more form you!

Nike :)

Questio says...

Thank you! I generally don't rewrite pieces, but this is one that I hope to submit to a local writing contest to win $1,000. I need all the help I can get!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:44 pm
guineapiggirl wrote a review...

I've noticed that you've done lots of reviews yourself (well done!), so here I am to give you a little review :D Hey, you're newish. Welcome to YWS, the most awesome place on the web!
This is an awesome little piece. I really enjoyed it. Although not something I tend to enjoy reading, I really liked the chatty style of the young narrator, all the 'awesome' and 'cool' and 'like the big kids'. You did it really well. I wouldn't read something in that style myself but I think you did the style excellently.
I also like your little plot. It had me a bit creeped out by the end! This is a really interesting little piece.
Now, onto your negatives, which were nearly all spelling or grammar.

seemingly enormousbluff we'd set up camp beside. I turned, struggling to see our tent through the woods. There! I could still see it! I wasn't to far!

Two things in this section. I've no idea what you're on about with the enormousbluff. Also, I wasn't to far should be I wasn't too far. Hey, here's a link to explain the rule to you: http://toortoo.com/ THere you are. Enjoy!

behind me. "Stay

Because you're continuing the speech, the full stop should be a comma. I think...

ne might decide to hibernate early, as to escape the hot June sun

So as to escape the...?

it. Just a rock.

Ah yes. Again, should be a comma.

back and crap walking away as fast as I could

I don't really get your use of the word crap here.

I ran back to camp as fast as I could.

The end feels rushed.

OVerall, a great little piece. Keep up the good work!

Questio says...

Crap was a typo apprarently. Something the site did, I think. Should be "Crab walking."

Questio says...

Actually, most of the misspells and grammer stuff was the website accidentaly altering the work. Sites like this do that sometimes
Thank you for your awesome reveiw!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:18 pm
youssefayman says...

The method of writing is really unique, and descriptive. Write more

Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr