z

Young Writers Society



Worlds Apart Chapter One

by Kakali


First and second Updates- 1/19/2013

Third Update- 19/20/2013

(ugh, I keep finding things I want to fix!)

*****





The evening light barely leaked through the dense canopy of ash and maple leaves, splattering the forest floor with sun in only a few places. The figure of a young man could only be seen as a shadow, slinking through the maze of tree trunks that riddled the silent forest around him with a haunting fluidity. He walked assuredly, knowing the forest as well as the back of his own hand. Even with the dim lighting and the thick brush covering the ground, the boy, Jayden, could still make out the familiar shape of a bobcat. The feline was stalking its prey carefully, padding as quietly as if it were walking on the air itself.

Jayden stopped when he noticed that the feline's ears were twitching. Right after he did, the bobcat tensed, preparing itself for the kill. As the bobcat leaped through the air, landing on its fuzzy prey, Jayden realized he had been holding his breath. He gratefully let out a sigh. He was glad to have this natural predator as his friend, even if it was his only one.

The bobcat swung its huge head around, the squirrel dangling limply from it's mouth. Jayden whistled a short note, and chuckled as it ran eagerly towards him. The proud bobcat carefully set the lifeless animal at his feet. Purring loudly, the cat placed a muddy paw on the boy's deerskin leather pants. Jayden laughed, pushing the clawed foot off of his leg.

“That was a pretty good run today. Good job, Nug.” Jayden praised the cat, reaching down to rub its wide forehead, which caused another rupture of purrs. He bent over to pick up the squirrel's body, opened up his knapsack that hung over his shoulder, and dropped the rodent inside. It now was alongside two grouse, three rabbits, and a mouse.

Jayden looked at Bob playfully. After whipping the mouse out of the pack, he tossed the small creature high in the air. But Nug didn't miss a beat. He sprang up using his powerful hind legs and swatted at the mouse. Jayden played with the cat like this for a while, until it got bored and ate the little animal. Then the bobcat looked at him with it's large green eyes, which reflected the boy's own violet-gray eyes. Jayden sighed and tapped his friend's muzzle, reluctantly letting him know it was okay if he left. Giving a grunt, the bobcat turned and bounded into the foliage.

Jayden turned in the opposite direction, moving south. He walked through the trees alone, like always. Some kind of peace overcame him as he listened to the chide of birds or the occasional chatter of an angry squirrel as he passed under its home. There was a rare wind flowing gently through the forest, blowing his shaggy black hair out of his face. He reached a small brook that was filled with clear, untainted water and stooped to fill his water pouch. Afterwords, he turned and walked a few feet to an old, weathered looking oak. He placed both hands on the tree's rough bark. He quickly located footholds in the bark and started the familiar climb to the top of the ancient tree. It only was a matter of seconds before Jayden reached the large tree limb near the top of the tree that he had called home from the time he was eight.

The branch was at least five feet thick and as wide as he was tall. It reached out fifteen feet or so from the tree's trunk. He picked this branch as his home because it looked out over the whole east side of the forest, so he could observe everything. A hand made blanket lay in the midst of the limb. He stepped onto the branch and went over to sit down on it. There he emptied out his pouch and sorted through his latest catch. Jayden then slipped out a knife from his belt. Running his finger over the sharp edge of the blade, he noticed it was starting to become dull and made note to sharpen it later, or else cleaning animals would become difficult.

He took the first grouse he and the bobcat had caught that morning and started to pluck it. Falling deeper into the rhythmic movements he was used to, Jayden unconsciously started to hum a familiar tune. As the day wore on, he finished preparing all the meats and set them up to smoke on a spit over a small fire he had made in a pit he had carved out and lined with stone. He set the rest of the animal carcasses to the side to be used for fish bait or to make pouches with later.

As the sun began to set, Jayden put out his fire and took off his leather tunic to get comfortable, letting the warm rays of fading sunlight touch the skin of his back. He then gobbled down a meal he had prepared the day before. Hey lay down and, like always, began to think about his plans for the next day until his mind drifted off to some deeper thoughts. He got around to thinking about how Nug always seemed to have somewhere else to be other than with him, which sparked a feeling he hadn't felt for a while. Loneliness. Loneliness, in turn, caused a rare thought about his life before being abandoned in the forest. Shaking his head before thoughts of his father that were sure to come to him, Jayden forced himself to move his mind onto less emotional things.

"I told you we should have camped back there! Now what do we do?" a deep, husky voice bellowed from below the tree. Jayden literally jumped up and immediately was in panic mode. His heart started to race and he could feel adrenaline rising up in him. People! How had they gotten so close to his home without him noticing? Jayden blamed himself for zoning out on pointless things, and told himself to calm down.

Jayden wasn't unfamiliar with other humans. They occasionally passed by on the outskirts of the forest, and he only ever saw them when he was on a long hunting trip, about once every three months. He had only gotten close to one, when a man had camped near a river bank and left some utensils outside his tent. That's where Jayden got his cleaning knife. Never had another human come this far into the forest. He had no choice but to stay as still and quiet as possible and hope they didn't notice his presence.

"Well, I didn't think we'd be tracking this jip-thing for so long!" came another, higher voice in reply to the first.

The first voice rang out, "Don't try to put this on me, I'm not the one with the super-brain!"

"Apparently NOT!" said the high voice angrily. Jayden wondered what they were yelling about. Tracking? Super-brain? Since they had risen his interest, Jayden dared to creep to the edge of the branch, peering cautiously over the edge. He couldn't see the ground because there were many branches blocking his view, so he quickly but silently climbed downwards, until he could see just enough of what was going on from a lower branch.

He forced back a gasp as when saw four humans were stopped right below his tree, two carrying some serious looking weapons. He cursed the weather for being rainy the day before, and hoped they wouldn't go to the other side of the tree and find his footprints in the mud. From what he could tell, they were all around his age, and among them, two out of the four were girls. They all wore clothes that looked like they were one piece, closely fitted black things that covered them from the neck down.

Not only what they say, but what they wear is weird. He thought to himself. Curiosity pricked at him and he had the urge to go down and talk to them, but he knew better. All other humans had ever done for him was bring him pain,so he was determined not to have any more contact with people.

"Whatever," said the first voice, which belonged to a tall, muscular boy, "The sooner we find that bobcat the better. I just want to get out of this jip-place and go get an upgrade." He kicked the side of the oak impatiently. Jayden's heart stopped.

"Is it really worth that much, Doris?" asked the other boy, who was shorter and thinner. He looked weak and was very pale with thick, black framed glasses and neatly cut brown hair that was formed around his head like a helmet.

"Since it's a male, at least eighty, if not a hundred. We went over this, Lakota!" replied Doris, a small girl with short blonde hair. The other girl, with long, wavy ginger hair, and probably as tall as Jayden was, stayed silent.

"Just shuddup already. We should keep going until dusk, then set up, since it's pretty pointless to backtrack now." growled the tall boy. With that they fell silent and kept going on into the forest.

After they had went, Jayden let out a breath and tried to process what they had said. He didn't want to believe it because he absolutely did not want to follow them, but there was only one male bobcat on this side of the forest. He rubbed his right temple, as he did whenever he felt angry, and knew what he had to do. He had to find and protect Nug, the only friend he'd ever had.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
87 Reviews


Points: 6040
Reviews: 87

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 am
Starleene wrote a review...



Hey there!

Starleene here!

It’s review day and you were at the top of my list! I hope you enjoy the review! Let’s commence!

“The evening light barely leaked through the dense canopy of ash and maple leaves, splattering the forest floor with sun in only a few places.”

Love this line. Very vivid and eye catching, it drags the reader in. I notice that later on you mention that the day wore on, but here you state that it’s already evening. Just make sure that your story collaborates with each other.

“The figure of a young man could only be seen as a shadow, slinking through the maze of tree trunks that riddled the silent forest around him with a haunting fluidity.”

Hmm this seems kind of like a run on sentence but I think that you could remedy this if you add a comma after “him.” I would consider revision though, besides that I really enjoyed this sentence and the imagery it brought to mind.

“Jayden stopped when he noticed that the feline's ears were twitching.”

I don’t know but I think that “were” throws off the feel of the sentence. It seems like a filler word. I think that the sentence would be more polished if this word were eliminated.

“The bobcat swung its huge head around”

Just FYI, bobcats aren’t that big. In fact they are hardly bigger than a dog. Just an imagery block that’s all.

“…the squirrel dangling limply from it's mouth.”

You used the wrong form of “It,” the one you’re looking for is “its.”

“Purring loudly, the cat placed a muddy paw on the boy's deerskin leather pants.”

The bobcat makes a sound called caterwauling. Caterwauling is a range of meows apparently for the purpose of mating. It can also make sounds common to all cats, such as hissing, spitting, chattering and purring. Good call! A lot of people would think that wild animals wouldn’t make the sound of a domestic animal, this makes it very believable!
“Jayden looked at Bob playfully”

I thought the bobcats name was Nug?

“…with it's large green eyes”

Again, wrong for you “it.” The correct form should be “Its.”

“…which reflected the boy's own violet-gray eyes”

“… to the chide of birds or the occasional chatter of an angry squirrel…”

“Chide means to rebut or rebuke, it doesn’t add to the atmosphere of the forest if the birds are chiding poor Jayden as he’s walking.

“Afterwords, he turned and walked a few feet to an old, weathered looking oak.”

“After” (space) “Words.” Don’t worry, it’s a common mistake.

“...home from the time he was eight.”

This line makes me think. If the boy had lived in the forest I don’t think that he would actually know how old he is. I don’t even think in this time they kept track of how old someone was.

“The branch was at least five feet thick and as wide as he was tall.”

“… or else cleaning animals would become difficult.”

I don’t think that this line is needed. It’s one of those things that’s understood and doesn’t need to be explained. It makes the line seem stuffy.

“ As the day wore on, he finished preparing all the meats and set them up to smoke on a spit over a small fire he had made in a pit he had carved out and lined with stone.”

This is definitely a mouth full! I would consider combing a couple of the sentences to make them more manageable.

“ Hey lay down and, like always, began to think about his plans for the next day until his mind drifted off to some deeper thoughts.”

A slight typo here, I think you meant “He.” And also add a comma after “day.”

“Shaking his head before thoughts of his father that were sure to come to him, Jayden forced himself to move his mind onto less emotional things.”


The first part of this sentence is kind of confusing but I think that it may just be because a couple wrong word choices. I think that this line would read better if you said something like “Shaking his head before thoughts of his father could enter, Jayden forced himself to move his mind onto less emotional things.”

‘"I told you we should have camped back there! Now what do we do?" a deep”

Capitalize the (A) in “a.”

“ Jayden literally jumped up and immediately was in panic mode. His heart started to race and he could feel adrenaline rising up in him.”

Considering that Jayden has lived in the forest for a couple years, he would have had time to adjust to sudden noises and such. I think it would be more probable that Jayden would try to copy his Bobcat friend in the way of the predator. Jayden wouldn’t want to jump, he wouldn’t want to make any sudden noises and would have trained himself to do that. I think it’s more probable that immediately his senses heightened and he became aware of the people below him and adjusted his heart rate accordingly. Just a thought to ponder!

“ That's where Jayden got his cleaning knife.”

Great background! No loose ties is what I always say! Make sure everything has a connection.

Never had another human come this far into the forest. He had no choice but to stay as still and quiet as possible and hope they didn't notice his presence.

“… so long!" came another, higher voice…”

Don’t forget to capitalize the “C” in “came.”

‘"Apparently NOT!" said the high voice angrily.”

I don’t think that it’s necessary to state that the person answered back, it’s apparent. It’s also very distracting to keep reading different variations of “said.” Don’t you think?

“…they had risen his interest…”

I think that the perfect word for “risen” here would be “peaked his interest,” as in “raised?” You can choose to use this work if you like.

“…looked like they were one piece, closely fitted black things that covered them from the neck down.”

This is a great description and I could totally picture it in my head!

"… get out of this jip-place and go get an upgrade." He kicked the side of the oak impatiently.
Jayden's heart stopped.”

I like how you thought about the way the characters speak. I also like that you thought up slang for them, it makes them seem more real. Like you would see them walking down the street.

‘"Is it really worth that much, Doris?" asked the other boy, who was shorter and thinner.”

Don’t forget to capitalize the “a” in “ask.”

“He looked weak and was very pale with thick, black framed glasses and neatly cut brown hair that was formed around his head like a helmet.”

Great description! I love it! I can so see this guy with helmet hair!

“…went over this, Lakota!" replied Doris…”

Again, don’t forget to capitalize the “r” in “replied.” When a sentence in quotation marks ends with a period, question mark, or exclamation mark, the preceding word after the closing of the quotations is capitalized.

“After they had went”

I think a better work would be “left.” It seems to flow a lot better than “went.”

This was really well thought out! I like these kinds of stories! The only criticism I would give is to think about your wording a little better because there were a couple places where I wanted to cringe because I heard it so many times. Also, I think that if you want to emphasis excitment or anger, watch the capitalization. It seems really unprofessional. Otherwise, I like where this is going and I can’t wait to see more from you!
If you have questions, let me know!

Good Luck. Happy Writing!

Starleene out!




Kakali says...


Wow! Thank you so much! I feel privileged for being towards the top of your list! :) I really appreciate this review. I missed so many things, I'm glad there are people like you on YWS to catch them for me, haha!



User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:10 am
megsug wrote a review...



Hey there Kakali,
I said I'd get to this today, so I am, if it kills me...
Hopefully it won't.
I must say, as awful as it is, I'm slightly glad Kafka was unsuccessful with his first review transfer, not that this one wasn't fantastic. I saw the green name and almost had heart palpitations. Mods intimidate me. O.o
I'm going to jump right into critiques and give you the happy news at the end.

The feline was stalking its prey carefully, padding as quietly as if it were walking on the air itself.

Suddenly the cat stopped. When the feline started tilting his disc-like ears forward, Jayden froze on the spot.

I see what you're doing here. Very clever, but this change of focus isn't working. I know you're in 3rd person, but the switch from the cat's eyes to Jayden's is jarring, if that makes sense. I like what you're going for, but try to find a way to do through Jayden.

He prepared himself to capture the squirrel if the bobcat failed to.

No! Don't ruin the surprise! Lead us on, just a little bit further. This can be the reason he was holding his breath.

He bent over to pick up the squirrel's body, opened up a pouch that was on his belt, and dropped the rodent inside. It now was alongside two grouse, three rabbits, and a mouse.

A pouch on his belt? Now, I'm no skilled outdoorswoman, but I don't think that's realistic. All that dead weight on your waist... Wouldn't he have a satchel over his shoulder... or... something?

It only was a matter of seconds before Jayden reached the large tree limb near the top of the tree that he had called home from the time he was six.

This was the part that reminded me most of My Side of the Mountain, in case you were worried about it.

he noticed it was starting to become dull and made note to sharpen it later.

Why? What's the purpose?

Jayden rarely thought about his life before he was abandoned in the forest, but today something sparked a feeling he hadn't felt for a while.

Aw! Don't leave us with something. Give us some reason, any reason. Why not blame it on Bob leaving him?

Jayden forced himself to move his mind onto more convenient things.

Not so much convenient as comfortable.

Humans!

This makes me think he's not a human himself.
Perhaps people?

He had only got close to one once,

Strike out once because of repetition.

Never, though had another human come this far into the forest.

Strike out because it breaks the flow of the sentence.

He looked down at his own clothes, a loosely worn leather tunic, with baggy leather pants underneath it.

This is placed at an inopportune moment. It breaks up the flow of the chapter and comes of as 'whoops, better describe the character real fast.' I'd just cut it and not worry about it.

"Not only what they say, but what they wear is weird.”

I've never seen thoughts in quotations. That threw me off for a second.

Two big nitpicks, one of which you'll probably hate:
I really don't like the name Bob. I feel like it's... not bobcat like. A... pigeon or a... another less dignified animal. This, however, is completely opinion.

Six years old is very young. Would he have a good grip on language? Would he understand most of what they say? How long has he been out there? People forget language, believe it or not.

That said, what a cool animal! Bobcats are AMAZING. Very nice choice, friend.
Second, interesting premise. Abandoned is very, very cool. I kind of get a 'raised by wolves' atmosphere going on.
Can't wait for the next installment.
Megsug




megsug says...


...Oh crap. I just saw Kafka's and didn't even look at the others. Sorry for any repeats.



Kakali says...


No, Bob was bothering me too. I just thought I'd stick with it since it was the bob in 'bobcat'. I'll try to give him something more.... interesting.

And yeah, I get what you're saying about him being young. But I babysat a seven year old last week that talked better than her eleven year old sister. But to make it more realistic, I will make him older. :-)

You give great advice, and I am sooooo glad I asked you for help! I really appreciate it!



User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 21355
Reviews: 504

Donate
Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 pm
Kafkaescence wrote a review...



So last night I wrote a big long review on this; I came back here to check on it, and it's disappeared! Where it went off to I have no idea, but in the meantime, I'll see if I can recreate it.

This was a smooth read that held my attention. The writing wasn't jarring, if a bit basic. Your protagonist is intriguing and I'd like to discover more about him. It's very reminiscent of My Side of the Mountain, if you've read it.

That said, I think my biggest problem with this is that it doesn't feel like a first chapter at all; rather, it's something I'd expect to find a bit deeper into the story. There are minimal introductions and no history is given to elucidate the situation of the protagonist. It that sense it felt rushed, delving into a conflict too early and starting off the story with too fast a pace. It makes the crisis you present at the end seem superficial—why should I care for Bob? I hardly even know him.

So how would you go about fixing this. First, answer some of the reader's immediate questions, such as Has he been living in the woods his whole life? and If not, how did he get into that situation? and Why does he hate humans? No need to go into great detail (in fact, don't), but just a sentence or two, or even just a hint here and there, would be much appreciated.

Let's see. Last, your diction made me feel like I was watching some Cartoon Network show, at times.

“All right, all right!” Jayden laughed, pushing the clawed foot off of his leg, “So what did we catch today, Bob?”

He had to find and protect his best friend, Bob.

Things like these made me cringe. The first is an example of what I call talking to the camera—basically, theatrical and unnecessary soliloquy. The second just makes him sound four years old. Find and fix those.

I think that's all I had to say. Hope this helped.

-Kafka




Kakali says...


I get what your saying, and it really made me think. I actually thought I could just fix a few things here and there, and it would be fine, but really, when I read this, it reminded me that I was 13 when I began writing this. I was a little cliche back then.

Anyways, yeah, I will add in more, and fix those two parts! Thanks for letting me know. (I was wondering how I was going to show his and Bob's relationship more)

Oh and when you said "talking to the camera", I remembered how much I HATE it when they do that in shows, like they put it in there because they think the audience is stupid or something. :P

well, thanks again, I will return the favor soon!



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 891
Reviews: 46

Donate
Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:19 pm
queenofscience says...



This is very good. I like it, can't wait to read more. I wounder what will happen next. Is Jayden a human? Keep going with this. If you need help, I can help edit, i'm not perfect, but I'm good.




Kakali says...


Thanks, and yes! If you haven't found anytihing wrong with this part, I would love to have your input on the next chapter, which I will be posting here on Monday!



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 610
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:49 pm
Auxiira wrote a review...



Hey Kakali! Auxiira here! I'm going to review your Chapter so here we go!

I really like this. You start off with a feral side with Jayden and his bobcat, then you get to a sci-fi side with the four children.

I definitely like to know more about Jayden. We can tell that something bad happen in his past and it makes him very mysterious. I like the fact that he's tamed a bobcat and that he lives out in the forest (it's something that I'd love to do^^). He also doesn't seem to identify himself with humans (please correct me if I'm wrong) and that really makes me wonder what exactly happened to him.

I really want to meet the other people too, they seem really interesting with different abilities. I like the fact that they're hunting Bob for money or points or whatever it is. They bring a hint of danger to the story.

One thing:

A hand-made blanket lay in the midst of the limb, and he stepped onto the branch and went over to sit down on it.

putting "and" twice is a bit awkward. Maybe you could put : "A hand-made blanket lay in the midst of the limb; he stepped onto the branch and went over to sit on it.

I think that I'm done! I cant wait to read more!
Auxiira




Kakali says...


No, your right about Jayden not putting himself with humans.
And thanks, I was actually having a hard time with that sentence and I just couldn't figure out why! I was having a mental blockage of some sort. :P



Auxiira says...


^^ you're welcome!



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 529
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 am
Adriana12Alexis wrote a review...



This is a good story line, I've only read one book similar to this, so good job on originality. Jayden is kind of a conflicting character, he lives in the forest, so he should be almost animal. And it shows that in the beginning, but the part that really didn't match was where he wanted to scream. A predator's natural reaction would be to attack if something startles it, screaming is pretty human. Can I also ask a question, what is a jip-place? Can you do me a favor too, can you please review my story Rye-lie? I only have two reviews, and one is my sister.

Good story overall though. I really liked it.




Kakali says...


Thanks! I appreciate it! You know, I thought about that to, but later in the story
Spoiler! :
we find out that he hasn't lived in the forest his whole life, just most of his life. (thats how he learned to speak and stuffs)


Jip is a word they use in my little world. I thought it'd be fun to come up with my own little vocabulary for them. :) later on I will get around to explainingwhat everything means, I promise!

Oh, and yes, later today i can review your work. I won't be able to until tonight though, sorry!




don't try me bro
— Seirre