More of A Journal Than Anything [Edited]

by veeren

I detest sitting in this English class. It's not so much the class itself, nor is it the teacher; more so the amount of bad experiences I've had in this uncomfortably familiar seat.

Following the small break we had during the start of the semester, we were asked to write a three page report describing the pros and cons of steroid use in professional sports. The rules for this report were really nonexistent, and to our teacher we had been given a purely opinion based assignment. However, the use of our opinions were frowned upon, whereas the opinions of journalists on the internet were considered 'facts'. I felt it my responsibility to bring this to the attention of my teacher, to which she acted as if I had no idea what I was talking about.

I truly believe that it was at this point all my troubles started.

Ever since then, it felt like I was held at a higher standard than everyone else. Normally this would've felt like an accomplishment, but after realizing that I was putting in double the effort of any other student and still struggling to achieve half of their grade, I couldn't help but think something was wrong. I noticed the grammar of my reports were criticized ever so slightly more strictly, and the standard of how much I had to know in comparison to the rest of the class was raised quite substantially. If there was a question no one could answer, I was given the responsibility of answering it; a test no one could pass, I had to pass it; even a word no one could spell, I had to spell it.

I can't say it hasn't helped me, though. It's made me better, if nothing else. Atwhat, exactly, I'm not yet sure. While I hate all the work I do, I love what it does for me. It reminds me that I'm different. That there's something about me that's special.

No.

Not special.

Unique. That would definitely be a better word. There's something that's unique about me, and despite my bitter feelings, it has something to do with this class.

So now, as I'm writing this entry, I pray that I'll discover the secret behind my uniqueness. Maybe by the end of all this unjustness, I'll have found out how I've become better. I want to know the reasons behind my exclusive treatment. Maybe once I do, all of this will make sense.

But until then, all I can do is study hard, don't mess up, and-

Oh no. She's giving back our essays.

Maybe I'll finish this thought another time, journal.

-January 7, 2013

---

A/N This is all fiction. I came about the idea in my real life English class, which I very much love. We are told to write journals on a daily basis, and today we had to do a free write. This just happened to pop into my mind. While based loosely off of my real life experiences, this is to be treated as just another work of literature and not as me babbling about my life. Thanks :*

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 am
Patch wrote a review...

I found this something I could ironically relate to, though only through hubris of my teenage years. Many a time I found myself at odds with my teacher and class as they just didn't get something that I did.

Obviously such a belief has passed and we're left with this interesting piece of work. You've well dug into the mind of a youth of that age and, whether its a reflection of my own experiences or an intended effect, you have provided this impression of an upstart youth who is right in their convictions and facing the world.

And damn you I wanted him to be right. That's no small feat, generating a character from nothing but a journal entry that we can cheer for. I don't mean a sympathetic character either, as the characters self-superiority easily negates any sympathy I would feel for them. But you feel they are an underdog. Someone oppressed by their views and forced to conform into a class of those doing the same.

You start off with a sharp note, using a word with such angry feeling to it. 'Detest'. It's a powerful use and sets up many of the feelings that will follow about the character. In fact, you could say this is where my lack of sympathy comes; the opening aggression.

I guess I have to apologize at this point. Instead of a review you're going to have me gushing for paragraphs about how very realistic you've managed this and how brilliant it is. For a young reader of the teenage years they would see this text and interpret it as it is; a complaint about unfair treatment. It is something they can so easily relate to after all. Almost every student has that one teacher that hates them, or that they hate and imagine the feeling is mutual.

But an older reader, one who has long since passed that stage of their life (god forbid I say I'm at that stage a mere handful of years later), can read between the lines and see that this is, well... Teenagers being teenagers. They can smile and shake their heads fondly at the thought that this teenager would go above and beyond to genuinely be superior to his classmates because they've all been there, and have since shedded such notions.

The last two paragraphs are perhaps the most powerful of all the text. It's the same escapist fantasy every teen falls into. They know they aren't special. In fact that usually holds a negative feeling to it even when it's a positive term. But they are individual. After all, no one else is like they are.

Eventually he will reach the end of this unjustness, and when he's there he will feel free. And someday when he looks back he'll see things in a different light. That maybe he was being judged more harshly because the teacher knew his potential. Or maybe he wasn't as great as he thought. Or maybe he was normal, like everyone else, and everyone felt the same.

Ultimately I want to congratulate you. This was great fun to read. You established a character without stating gender, race, age or any physical appearance. An upstart youth of some sort who tries hard or at least they think they do, who's efforts are unrewarded just because they happened to point out a flaw they saw that no one else did.

And I guess in closing I will admit a part of me wanted them to find out they were unique and special. Making your audience want to read more is, well... A job well done.

veeren says...

:D Thanks, Patch.
I wasn't really expecting a lot of people to pull out the subtle details I put in. For that I think I should congratulation you.

veeren says...

Congratulate* :/

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 am
Lycando wrote a review...

Hey there!

I enjoyed this journal entry. It does bring into mind some thoughts that actually go through our heads in class. The usual student grumbling about how tough their work is and how strict the teacher is with marking it.

I find that character here has a fixed goal in mind, and is determined to prove him/herself. That goes with the style of writing, pretty fast paced and to the point. No dawdling on unnecessary information and telling the story as it is.

I like that the character seems to be writing this journal entry in class and ends off with "Oh no. She's giving back our essays". And then it seems the worries start again.

What I hoped to see from this is more of the teacher. I don't know exactly why but I would like to discover more about the teacher and his/her character. It's probably because the narrator has some form of dislike for his/her teacher. I would like to find out why and what influenced it.

Hope my review helped!

veeren says...

Thanks Lycando :D
I'll think about adding the teachers perspective if I ever decide to write more.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 am
JohnLocke1 wrote a review...

This made me very happy for some reason. It must be because your writing style mirrors my own, somewhat. I very much enjoyed your story, as well. It was very good for a free write. Please, keep me posted on your writing. I'd love to read more. Happy Writing!

veeren says...

Thanks :D
I'm glad you liked it.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb