Untitled - Chapter II

by AliceDreams

I'm not sure how happy I am with this bit. I have such a putrid hate for rewriting that I thought I'd just post it and get it over with - please don't judge this as a piece in itself, this is just a necessary bridging chapter between two bits I actually quite like. I don't want to put anyone off though, so please read with an open mind! Forget everything I have just said. Any comments would be much appreciated!

First Chapter link: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=98795

P.S To all the poetry lovers who read this, I am deeply sorry for the views the character expresses about the subject. Its her fault, not mine!

----

She doesn't think she is who she is. Not deep down. She's always felt that little nudge inside her, telling her "Look around you. Look at all these other people. You're not like them. You pretend, but you pretend for their sake not yours. You're different." This has kept her afloat. For better or for worse.

But if she's honest, she's no good at anything. She's average. And average is the worst you can be. It doesn't set you apart in any way. But she doesn't like to be honest, so where does that leave her?

It leaves her living in a little semi-detached in one of those repetitive towns that shroud London's peripheries. It leaves her a spinster, semi-unemployed, if that's even a thing, and utterly and entirely unremarkable. The neighbours don't know her - this isn't one of those places - and she does nothing no try and change this. To interact would be to admit this is what she'd become.

She drinks tea. She hates tea.

"I'm going to do something."

"Something big."

"Something that'll change the world."

At 59, she still has the dreams of an idealistic six year old. There's nothing wrong with idealism. She tells herself. Often.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

An idealistic six year old ponders this. This isn't meant to be a deep, probing question. The teacher just wants an answer. Cowboy. Astronaut. Ballerina. No answer? She moves on. Next child.

"A zookeeper."

That's all that's needed. That child will do well in life.

She decides later as she stares out the car window. She wants to be a teacher . This doesn't come from any sense of injustice, she doesn't feel mistreated or betrayed by the profession, her dream is not a crusade to reignite the flame of teaching. She just thinks it would be fun. Living at school and all that.

Her dad is less than thrilled by the idea. He's that slightly right wing, self-righteous, business type. He throws words even he doesn't quite understand at his wide-eyed daughter. Pensions. Reforms. Governments. No, any respectable daughter of his will follow his footsteps. He's raised them well, it's in their blood. They'll leave university, Russell league, naturally, start a business, run a business, sell a business - stinking rich by 30. Then, as the father of three daughters, he will watch each of them get married, making that heart-warming speech at the wedding - stories of old boyfriends and teenage rebellions, before sending them off to fulfil their wifely duties - bearing, feeding, looking after children and the like. Of course his girls will have signed a prenuptial first, they're no fools, besides, who knows what could happen in this day and age. He does love his girls, he only wants what's best for them.

So, 53 years ago, maybe to the day - who knows? She doesn't. She does know she's not a teacher though. Never has been, never will. She hasn't even fulfilled any of her fathers aspirations. University was a joke, it doesn't even bear thinking about. Lets not go there now she tells herself. Stick the TV on. Business? A little bit of this, and a little bit of that. No, in other words. And marriage? The lonely lady, with a lukewarm, half-drunk cup of tea chuckles to herself in her drab living room. She glances down at her virgin ring finger. Marriage would've made my father's day, renewed his faith in his wide-eyed little girl. So, lets put a big cross in that box.

Despite all this, she still has that urge to do something. Be good at something. It shouldn't be too hard. Things look easy. Surely things should be what they look like?

Wouldn't that make it all better?

Poetry. That always looks a doddle. e.e Cummings. He couldn't even use grammar for fucks sake- not her, she's a proud holder of a 'B' grade in both English Lang. and English Lit. Whoop-de-do. Here's her recipe for first-class poetry:

You choose a situation, a lost lover etc.

Attribute some feelings to it. Sadness, anger, that sort of stuff.

Make it rhyme? Or is that too cheesy?

Wait for someone to find a meaning in it.

You can find meaning in anything if you look closely enough.

---

In a country park in Sussex all sorts of mechanical wizardry is being brought onto the green. The grey of the sky is being sought to be eradicated by tungsten lighting and fake smiles. Diffusers, reflectors, tripods, metal contraptions that no one is quite sure of the correct usage. The photographer himself is a wiry sort of man. Mid 40's, curly light brown hair, lanky, dressed in black. The wannabe dramatist sort. He feels he can put his unique artistic spin on any repetitive commercial assignment he is given. He has the skill. Whether that's true, is not for him to decide.

His subjects, his muses, if you may, for today are Harper and Julianne Mitchell. The healthy, smiling, husband-and-wife face of countless campaigns, promoting anything from yoghurt to 'over 50's life insurance: call and receive a free pen' gambits. Today they're advertising luxury British retreats, for the retired professional. In this case, professional refers to anyone who can fork out fifteen hundred for a week with half-baked 'experts'. These holidays promise to 'inspire a new you', teaching you all you need to know about cooking or singing or tango dancing or whatever else you feel your life is missing. Harper and Julianne know exactly how to smile. Click. Read the book under the oak tree. Click. Wider smiles. Click. Perfect. Now sit by the little fountain. Click. You're loving this! Click.

---

Cassie stumbles across the advert whilst checking her emails. She wonders how it chooses the adverts she sees. Has she specified her age? Or has it just made an educated guess, from the pitiful trickle of emails she receives, and the subscription - unused, she'd like to add- that she took out from 'Good Housekeeping', or one of those depressingly upbeat magazines. She glances back at the picture. They look happy, she thinks. Wide smiles, sitting by the fountain.

"Clifton Manor: exclusive 50+ breaks"

Click click. She doesn't really think about it. She wants to see more of the smiling couple. What's their secret?

---

It's an hour and a half later, and Cassie Black is feeling better. She's also feeling poorer. Significantly so. In two weeks time she'll be setting off to Clifton Manor. In three weeks time she'll be returning, triumphant, a certified 'expert' in creative literature, possibly specialising in poetry. Possibly not. Who knows? Ah, the delight of potential.

She ponders for a moment on whether to ring work. She feels she should. That's what any normal, employed person would do. Ring the boss. Ring the secretary. Ring whoever's job it is to care. Alert them of your impending adventure. Time enough to make the necessary arrangements. Then set off on your bank-busting, life-changing experience.

Maybe she should just quit.

They won't notice she's gone.

What to pack, what to pack? She thinks of the other attendees. She imagines them, sumptuous, educated voices; dripping in culture. Complete with views on any literature, musical or current event you can throw at them. Side-splitting recollections of misadventures in the City - "...and you will never believe what old Will said next...". The faithful wives, the voice of reason, chuckling lightly beside them - "Now, now George. That wasn't exactly how it happened now is it?". Her idea of hell.

But she knows how to play it. She spent years blagging it, flitting. She can be whoever or whatever the situation decrees. That's one thing she is good at. Years of practise.

So why's she going on this trip then, you ask? Good question. To prove something? To prove something to her father? No; she can't be that cliched. An inner bit of her, buried deep under layers of self-consciousness and solidified lies, knows the answer. But that's not getting out any time soon.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 am
megsug wrote a review...

Hello there,
It's been too long, I know. I apologize for the wait.

I enjoyed this, honestly, almost as much as the first chapter. I applaud your diction. It's quite incredible. The beauty of your work is truly in the words, not the plot... and that's how it's supposed to be, isn't it?

Well... Now that I've gotten all gushy, let me go on with the critique.

...

Hold on for a second... What happened? You just jumped back to her six year old self with no warning whatsoever. You can't do that to your readers, it confuses us. I love the italics myself, but there are several ways to make a distinction, just make sure one is made.

Pensions. Reforms. Governments. No, any respectable daughter of his will follow his footsteps.

This is a bit hard to explain out of context, but I'm going to do my best.
The bolded part is a bit out of place. You're talking about how the MC's dad is and then you go back to, 'No, teaching is out.' This confuses the reader.
I would start a new paragraph at 'No, any respectable...'

He's raised them well, it's in their blood.

Whup. Run-on here. You have several. I'm not going to point them all out. I'm just going to say, look for your verb and your subject. Make sure there aren't two of both in one 'sentence.' If there are two of both, it's most likely a run-on.
If you want me to show them all to you, I can. Just ask.

before sending them off to fulfill their wifely duties

Marriage would've made my father's day,

POV switch?

E.E. Cummings.

In a country park in Sussex all sorts of mechanical wizardry is being brought onto the green.
...
Click. Wider smiles. Click. Perfect. Now sit by the little fountain. Click. You're loving this! Click.

If I wrote this (and I really wish I did) I would be slow to get rid of this photographer part because there is something amusing- ironic- about it, but it's not necessary as lovely as it is, and I think in the end it takes attention away from what actually matters. Unless this bit is going to make any impact other than creating the advertisement, I would cut it.

She wonders how it chooses the adverts she sees.

It being...?

Maybe she should just quit.
They won't notice she's gone.

You're going to bring this up and then leave the reader hanging?! Tell us if she rings or not. That would give us a huge insight into the character. Is she just talk or will she really do it?

Okay, that's what I could find. I love this character. She feels so real, and I love how all of this has been self reflection of the character up to this point. It's really intriguing to read.
Tell me when the next part is up. I'd love to read it.
Megsug

megsug says...

Realized I forgot to erase a part of your story at the top... Oops. Ignore the unquoted paragraphs at the top.

megsug says...

Now we can edit. Mwahahahaha!
Ignore previous comment.

Shearwater wrote a review...

Hi Alice!

I’m back for this second installment of your wonderful piece. Since I’ve already mentioned a bucket full, not essentially but close to a bucket full of things in my previous review, I’m going to keep this quite short.

As you mentioned, this was a bit of a filler for the next segment. I don’t think this chapter is bad or boring and instead it gives us another glimpse into Cassie’s life. Not a flashback to her youth days but a deeper look into what she’s become as an- I hate to say but- old lady. (I would've liked to see her thoughts on emails and technology these days, too.)

I especially enjoyed the way you wrote about children being asked what they want to become when they grow up and connected that to her character. She’s obviously still dreaming and she still wants to do something in life. That ties back to what was said in the beginning about running forward and keeping up. I think she wants to leave an imprint on the word and somehow she thinks writing will help keep her ‘alive’, perhaps even so after she’s dead. This is how she perhaps imagines all her problems to be solved.

Overall, I really like how this going so far. Again your writing stays quick and agile, very fast and I’m actually starting to like it more. I feel like I’m running while I’m reading and there’s so many connections that I make throughout reading this that’s quite entertaining.

On a last note, I think you also need to try to clarify more of the setting and place as you go along. It’s very quick paced so in order for the reader to be absolutely certain where Cassie is and what she’s doing and who the center of the scene is at the moment, you need to clearly state that and again, try not being too vague about these things. Make sure your readers can easily understand where they are.

Other than that, so far so good. Let me know if you need anything else. A quick PM or a scribble on my wall and I’ll be there.

All the best,
-S

beckiw wrote a review...

Hi there Alice!

Here as requested.

Oooh! I didn't realise this was going to be a longer story! Now I am interested to see where this will go and what she will find at Clifton Manor. It sort of reminds me of that book/film The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

It's weird how you can write about a 59 year old so convincingly and how her story can still resonate with me even though I am nowhere near that age.

The one point I have about this section is the photo taking part. At the moment I'm not sure what's the point of seeing this little snippet of a scene. It's not needed for when Cassie finds the picture of the smiling couple. I'm hoping that it's going to become relevant later in the story. Like she'll meet the couple or the photographer or something. Otherwise it seems to be a little random since you've stuck with Cassie's view this whole time and Cassie wouldn't really have knowledge of that moment. I think you need to be careful when considering departing from Cassie's perspective and only do it if really needed.

Hope that was helpful! Keep going :)

If you have any questions then feel free to PM me.

Bex

x

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson