z

Young Writers Society



The Secret My Mind Creates

by aouther2b


There is something I have buried,
deep within the recesses of my mind.
A secret no one can see,
forever haunting me
its face taunting me
.
The flesh of it bleeds the red
that my tears may cry
Unforgiving
until the last drop is shed.

I made mistakes, I know
I've done the people I love wrong.
but where does forgiveness lie?
If not in oneself, then no where.

Oh, the sorrow I have cried,
be damned if it did me good.

Its this reflection I despise it.
The one with only my face left to stare back.
This hatred is not for the truth it holds
and the lies it snubs.
It is because, what this reflection shows,
is the forever gone innocence
and never to return destiny
of my youth.

These unjusts that I have done
though not my intentions tried.
Follow me to my grave
No one ever the wise.  


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:15 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



Hi again! You're so awesome. I know we're all here for reviewing, but you are MUCH better at showing thankfulness for reviews than I am. It's a good quality and it's always nice to see someone take reviews into account when you put your time into them. That's why I'm back! To see what I can say about this new poem. : )

The first thing I want to say is that I always recommend, unless you're tryna get experimental with your poem, is to take out the line breaks and punctuate it like prose. Then put the line breaks right back in and if you're good at prose punctuation you'll have a perfectly punctuated poem, too. Right now, there's a lot missing, but I think you can fix that on your own.

Now, as for the rest, a lot of this poem seems familiar. Like it's been done before. Everyone's seen blood tears, and though maybe it's intense the first time you ever think about them, the novelty wears off quickly. I've seen it before, so it's weak for me in your poem. You have to find the specificity that only you can bring to this exploration of emotion.

That means taking out all the vague explanations. I don't want to hear that you did bad things ("These unjusts that I have done"). I want to see what you did, or at least feel / sense the remnants of these "unjusts". Give me specificity or give me death, I cry! haha.

Now, maybe you don't want to be specific. You want to grab all these bad feelings at once and evoke them. Then don't tell me about them, still. EVOKE them. Use words that FEEL like the unjusts you've done. You don't have to talk about one, but to talk about all of them, skirt them a little. Think of things related to unjust or snub: candle stub comes to mind for me. Word association games can help you out a lot when you're trying to scrape together a poem.

Oh, it's hard work, but you can do it!

Let me know on my wall or through PM if you have any questions, since there aren't any notifications for you replying to my review and I might never see it again!

Good luck!!




User avatar
489 Reviews


Points: 17895
Reviews: 489

Donate
Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:02 am
Dreamwalker wrote a review...



Walker here, as requested.

There is a certain depth of emotion you're trying to convey here, and to a degree, you really attempt at hammering it home. A lot of strong, near graphic imagery with the bloody tears and the heavy sounding words like 'damned' and 'destiny'. The problem being is, during this certain attempt, you spend so much time on the intent of the poem coming across as vivid and dark and merciless that the diction becomes almost muddled by the overuse of such terms.

You lose the real power those words could bring forth by pairing them constantly with ones of them same nature. Like eating an entire pie to yourself. That first slice of pie is delicious, but after a time, you start to feel sick from all the dough and apple and sugar, so that, by the very last piece, you don't really feel as if you're enjoying it anymore.

Thats what happens with heavy words. Slight conveyances are beautiful. A whole ton of them slammed all at once can be overbearing and, quite frankly, unenjoyable to read.

Not that this, of course, was unenjoyable. There were certain aspects I regard.

As for substance, the intent of the poem was meant to be dark, which I can understand as poetry, often enough, brings out the beauty in the darkness. Just, when looking at some of the more tragic lines, I felt a little miffed by them. For instance;

Oh, the sorrow I have cried,
be damned if it did me good.


The immediate 'Oh' reminds me of a certain 'woe is me' concept which sort of interweaves throughout this. And yes, woe can be unfortunate and just as much a reason to write a poem as any other, just the overly pretentious manner of how this is worded makes it feel as if the narrator feels that his/her misery is so horrible it needs to be depicted in the harshest of ways.

My suggestion would be to shake this sense of needing to make every stanza depict just how miserable this narrator is. Misery can be seen in many ways or facets. This would be where metaphor would be your biggest ally.

ex. it's as if nothing changed
not the way the grass grew brown and shunted
nor the thick pale fingers of the clouds
spiralled over my head.
if and when they poured, I'd have been
damned if it did me any good.

As you can tell, the imagery is depressing (pathetic fallacy!), but also the need for explaining 'the tears you've cried' became unnecessary, which takes some of the pretentious 'woe is me' away from the topic.

Poetry is just as much, if not more, aesthetics than it is poet's intent. Learn this and I think you'll go a long way.

~Walker




aouther2b says...


Thank you for the review it really helped. I'll take another look and perhaps change a few things, but I will deffinatly keep all you said in consideration with the next poem I write/ post




Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna lay down and become a tomato for a while.
— RokitaVivi