z

Young Writers Society



science was never my strong point but

by Firestarter



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:16 pm
View Likes
Audy wrote a review...



Yo Jack,

I'm just gonna dive right into this, so!

we teem with disability
There is something disconcerting to me about the combination of words "stars", "teem", and "disability"

It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's that each word carries with it a weight - connotations, histories, and I just find this poem is bogged by the weight of too many words. Stars are so wonderfully versatile, so I'm okay with your usage of them here - and how we're "forged" from them, I get the sense that some Great Blacksmith made me out of iron stars and I'm totally gonna be forged into an axe. yeaaaaah booooii..

Ok, so you have me going there - now "teem" is such a vivid verb - usually I think of a ..Idunno a koi pond teeming with fish and lushness. Basically, I know what you're trying to say - that we're forged of stars and filled with something - but the connotation is generally used with like, wildlife and it's used in a positive sense. And then I get to disability - and I think of a cripple and it's just all over the place. Plus - the connotation with the word disability is negative! So you have a positive verb and a negative noun and it's like, okay, so what kind of tone are you going for here?

Now. Connotations are a subjective thing, and this is my own experience of that line - I get that. I am all for the experimentation or new usage of words, just that it plays at a double-edge sword, because I'm too focused on the words on the page rather than ...well the experience, the expression. That's because the details are so heavy and vivid/unusual. Sometimes saying it straight up is the way to go, yo.

The rest of the poem reads a bit better.


Basically, I get the sense that whatever imperfections we have, it's minute in the expansiveness of the world and the universe. It's a neat idea - and you do a kinda cool thing where you almost pan out and zoom, zoom, zoom like you're adjusting a microscope -- maybe your varied and eclectic word choice then, was intentional?

Eh. Maybe. In any case, I hope this review helps in some way/makes sense. I've enjoyed reading and delving into your pieces and seeing you around for workshop, and I really, really, really hope you stick around :3 pweety pwease?

Image

~ as always, Audy




User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 1303
Reviews: 39

Donate
Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:27 am
View Likes
znale1 wrote a review...



This is a great poem but I think you should put punctuational in the right area like speech marks.




User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:13 am
View Likes
Lumi wrote a review...



Jack, you get my first review of the new year! I spent about six reads through this trying to find something to pick at, and there's a particular disconnect that I want to call a personal preference matter; however, it's still a critique, and that's...well, what I'm here for.

That particular distaste is the detachment of voice between your phrases of

let us define perfection

let us refine perfection

and the remainder of the piece, which takes on a smoother, more fluid flow that you don't find in the high-syntax imperative statements. Does that make sense? Essentially, I think you'd be much better off without these two particular imperatives. The other -
[quote]and stop before you microscope too far[/i]
- is beautiful where it is, so there's no matter there. And that makes my critique feel too much of a personal taste than a legitimate worry. So that's where that stands.

The remainder is quite lovely. Your flow, syntax - it's all in the comforting lyrical zone. Nothing particularly pushes in a new angle, but rather mixes old things very well. That's something I like very much about the majority of your work in the poetry section. All-in-all, great work. That, and I'm displeased that I have this little to say. You've broken me, Jack.




Lumi says...


Dat coding.



Lumi says...


Dat coding.



Lumi says...


Dat code.



Karzkin says...


[/failcode]



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 pm
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Fire!

You've got a really interesting topic here. Science *is* my strong point, which is what drew me to this piece (though, I admit, I expected a short instead of a poem, and nearly ran away when I saw the stanzas marking poetry. :P), but I really liked this.

I like that you used scientific words/references, while describing something different. It's very good. Please trust me when I saw that you would have absolutely no use for any technical comments on poetry. It's not pretty.

So I'll leave you with my general take on this poem, and leave, before I scare someone.

Keep Writing!

~Shady 8)





The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
— Bryant McGill