z

Young Writers Society



silverbells and cockleshells

by Firestarter


We loitered like students in the northern arcade;
gawked as the devil-dodgers performed their parade.
You said, "Let's drop the pretence.  Stop the charade,
this cloister is nothing but a plain colonnade.
The bricks have no meaning, no extra significance,
except to perpetuate the pomp and the circumstance."

At the convent I carried my grandmother's bones
through the naves, past the graves, into the unknown.
You said, "The service itself was a bit overblown,
the bells and the incense should be left well alone."

I thought to myself, it's past time to stop
the clock.  Break the structures we have clung
to.  Begin to confess: "Dear father, forgive me.
I am a secret sinner.  I've whispered my prayers,
I've hid in the pews.
I've broken His bread and I've sipped on His booze."
But I wish and I wash and I equivocate
and I wait and I wait and I wait.

We soaked by the grave as the heavens opened up
and you bribed me with a pint in the pub afterward.
You shook the priest's hand and I shook with fury
when you added, at the end, "the power and the glory."
It was wrong to imagine, as I shivered near the fireplace,
of smashing my pint glass in one of your faces.

After all, unless I've been reading my Bible wrong,
Let him without skepticism cast the first stone.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 pm
View Likes
Audy wrote a review...



Jack,

Heh. Heh.

Heh.

I see whut you did thurr. Clever beast. The poem is well planned out ideally, and I think it can work wonderfully - but the execution ultimately fails?

As I was reading your first and second stanzas, I just wanted to eat them and be like whut are you doing? Considering I had read two poems of yours already, and you get to this one, and you could hardly take it seriously with all the rhymes. I guess the gimmick of the pomp, the whistles, and the silverbells was the point all along, though, and thus the vomiting reactions to it was the reaction you intended for it.

ooo, you tricky beast. Always playing with them words, yo.

I do think the second shift of the poem needs to be...how do I say it? Make it read more raw, and more real? I want for this part to be gritty and vulnerable, and I see that you switch up your breaks without actually getting rid of the rhymes, but that's what I want! I want to see the rhymes gone completely, or else, what would be the point of this piece? What would be the point of the first two stanzas and the switch?

I thought to myself, it's past time to stop
the clock. Break the structures we have clung
to. Begin to confess: "Dear father, forgive me.
I am a secret sinner. I've whispered my prayers
I've hid in the pews.


Yuck. Rhymes, yuck. Just ditch them. Give me something real. Don't give me glory or vagueness, give me something visceral, give me something breathing, something alive. Only then can I take the religion undertones and social commentary in this piece seriously.

I hope this helps.

~ as always, Audy




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 536
Reviews: 8

Donate
Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 am
loverr says...



I really liked the rhythm, especially that of these few lines;

"I've hid in the pews.
I've broken His bread and I've sipped on His booze."

-

"You shook the priest's hand and I shook with fury
when you added, at the end, "the power and the glory."

This feels too short for a review, but I'm new with not much to say.




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 564
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:24 pm
Macyblak wrote a review...



Beautiful poem. I loved the way you spin, both me and the poem around.
I found the last line particularly breath taking; maybe it's because I'm a sucker for Poems with religious aspects, because I feel It's extremely hard to balance reverence and skepticism. I think you carried it off wonderfully. The poem made me feel like snuggling up to a fire and watching the raindrops fall in the cold, wet English weather.
Sorry for rambling, but t'is not often we find poems we truly connect with, and I really feel this poem.
You make me Jealous, and I sincerely wish that one day, other poets (such as myself) will half as good as you can today.




User avatar
272 Reviews


Points: 10554
Reviews: 272

Donate
Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:47 pm
View Likes
beckiw says...



Hi Jack!

So this poem had a lot of words! Some so-so words and some good words.

Perpetuate...that was a good word. I liked that one. There were some more words as well that I quite liked.

However, I had this feeling like your rhymes were being held at gun point. That they were being held for ransom and the pay off was some very unnatural rhymes. Next time I think you might find some tea and biscuits will help your rhymes be more cooperative. Violence is never the answer. You'll end up scaring all the good words away.

After reading between the lines I sense something to do with religion. You can't slip this sort of stuff past me!

I think you have here a rather poetic poem with hidden depths. With peaks and troughs and little valleys with sheep and a waterfall.

Keep writing and keep using them words!

Bex x




Firestarter says...


Best review ever.



Firestarter says...


Best review ever.



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 515
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:27 am
View Likes
SarahMazer says...



I like this poem! I don't understand what you mean by " you bribed me with a pint in the pub afterward/ you shook the priest's hand and I shook with fury". Besides that, I like this. I like the third stanza the most: Dear father, forgive me/ I am a secret sinner. Keep writing!




User avatar
489 Reviews


Points: 17895
Reviews: 489

Donate
Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:10 am
View Likes
Dreamwalker says...



I thought I would return the earlier review, though, admittedly, mine might be a little less critical. I found I rather enjoyed this, mostly for the fluctuating structure.

At first glance, I was a bit miffed by some of the less poignant dialogue sections, as you sort of flip-flopped between this well-spoken narrative and this jagged spotty diction which, when paired with the rhythmic scheme, sort of took away from the overall flow. For instance;

through the naves, past the graves, into the unknown.
You said, "The service itself was a bit overblown,
the bells and the incense should be left well alone."


The only real issue I have with the dialogue in general was the use of 'overblown', mostly because it seemed odd compared to the line below and above it. Not as thick, diction-wise, as the narratives, but it also felt as if it may have been thrown in for the fact that it had that rhythmic quality. Other than the sound of it, the aesthetic really wasn't there next to the first stanza.

As for the structure, I liked the idea of having it change as the poem became more impassioned and the narrative more personable. The only real issue here is that it sort of felt a little gimmicky when the structure changed, mostly due to this;

I thought to myself, it's past time to stop
the clock. Break the structures we have clung
to.


In a way, I respect the tenacity of this. It shows a strong connectivity and a quirkiness, yet the idea of breaking the structure of the poem whilst breaking ones own inner structures seemed a bit heavy-handed. As I stated prior, gimmicky. It gave a really good reason as to not continue on with the same structure as prior, but an unnecessary one. It's quite clear the difference in narratives between the first and second halves of this.

As for the theme and intent, I was surprised. It was cleverly played, with a sweeping blow in that last couplet. I can respect that, of all things.

Anyways, I enjoyed this.
~ Walker




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 am
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Hi Jack! Here is my review for you to review!

So first things first, I did actually get a feel for this poem which is a rare thing to happen to me, usually I have no clue what the poet was talking about. But this actually really resonated with me by the end. I really liked the every day details of a funeral, of graves and rain and the pint afterwards. It made the poem a lot more human and a lot more personal.

except to perpetuate the pomp and the circumstance."


I know the "the" before circumstance is serving a purpose in terms of rhythm, but for the sake of the phrase, I think you could do without it? Up to you of course!

[quote"The service itself was a bit overblown,
the bells and the incense should be left well alone."[/quote]

Really liked these two, I can imagine them coming from someone's mouth, if people spoke in rhyming couplets.

the clock. Break the structures we have clung
to. Begin to confess: "Dear father, forgive me.


These two lines annoy me with the placement of "to." I know it's to keep the rhythm but I somehow feel like they break the pattern a little too much.

I've broken His bread and I've sipped on His booze."


I loved this however.

You shook the priest's hand and I shook with fury
when you added, at the end, "the power and the glory."


This puzzles me, and while I liked the lines for themselves, the meaning was completely lost on me. I think it's just me misunderstanding- is it power and glory as in the Lord's Prayer? I just don't really understand the reference or why it was necessary at this particular point of the poem. But as I say, that's probably a fault on my part rather than yours.

It was wrong to imagine, as I shivered near the fireplace,
of smashing my pint glass in one of your faces.


I feel like "faces" jars the rhyming scheme, but you probably realise that.

Another thing I really liked- and this is probably on a personal level because I hear the language every day- but I really liked your use of that commonplace religious language- the nave and cloister and "Dear Father forgive me", the words do have a poetic quality to them- especially the words of prayers- that only really appears when they are used out of context, so nice job on that.

Other than that I don't have much to say!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x




Firestarter says...


You're the best! I agree with everything (as I already said). To review your review, I will simply say, you're allowed to be more critical! Those two lines are my fault, not yours. They make only a little sense, and only to me, and need changing.




The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna