Rooftops, Tall Tales, and Cigarettes.

by BenjaminMichael

Thank you for all the great reveiws. I love you all.

I met the man one night in early July. I found him standing alone on the roof of my apartment building as I came up for a breath of fresh air. His name was Edwin, and he had a nasty habit of chewing on his lower lip while taking long, slow breaths from his cigarettes. The man was clearly a wreck; his hair was graying around the edges and went unwashed, firm dark lines formed around his eyes and mouth when he spoke, and the area around his eyes was black with lack of sleep. Despite his pitiful appearance, he had several lavish belongings: a fancy gold watch with the numbers boldly lit on the face, a very late model phone that he half-heartedly checked every few minutes (as if he already knew no one had called), and two small silver wedding bands which hung on a chain around his neck. That first night we made nothing but small talk, yet I couldn't help but feel as though it were one of the most meaningful conversations I had ever had. Eventually the night brought about drowsiness and I forced myself to leave the man’s company. That night I slept very soundly, dreamt very little and awakened very late in the morning with an undeniable curiosity for the man. Before my eyes had even opened I knew that that night I would be returning to the rooftops to look for Edwin.

That night I found him much the same place that I had the night before with the same gloomy gaze cast out into the distance. I came back to this same spot every night afterwards, almost religiously. Some nights things from my everyday life prevented me from going to the roof. Some nights I would go to the roof, and he wouldn't be anywhere to be found. But most nights I could find him standing at the edge, staring down into the lanes of traffic beneath us. He would look up at me the moment my foot hit the gravel floor, as if he had known without a doubt that that's where I'd be at that exact moment. We would talk for a few hours a night, and every night I left feeling like a new, better man.

One night, I came to the rooftops with a goal in mind. I approached Edwin in the same casual manner that had always existed between us, and after I good deal of chit chat asked: "Why are you up here, Edwin?"

The question seemed to catch him off guard, and he looked up at me with curiosity in his eyes. “That’s a long story, friend.” His voice was deep and rough, yet all together had something distinctly soft about it.

“Well, I’ve got the time if you’ve got the will.” We had spent the past few weeks making nothing but small talk, and I was eager to learn something, anything, about him. For a summer night, the breeze was surprisingly refreshing. It was that perfect kind of night where every star was shining clearly, even here in the city. “I’m here tonight… Because of something that happened to me twenty five years ago. I was a successful young man on the verge of changing the world, whether you can believe that or not. I was the first to discover the secret to a car that ran completely on renewable energy.”

“Twenty five years ago? I’m sorry, but we don’t even have that kind of technology now. How can you expect me to believe your story?” Irritated, my tone was a little more harsh than I had intended.

“I don’t!”- He scoffed, “But you asked, and I’m going to tell you anyway whether you believe me or not.” He started into his story again, and I listened intently. “The whole thing ran on three forms of generators and had a battery the size of a shoe. Solar panels on the top, a wind turbine where the radiator should be, and a small turbine on each wheel to use the cars own momentum to fuel the battery. It ran like a dream. I could go into a lot more detail, I designed the damn thing anyway, but then we’d be up here all night and I’ve got shit to do.” If not for his stern expression I would have sworn he was telling some sort of bizarre joke that not even he could laugh at.

“So if this car of yours was so perfect, why aren’t there more of them?”

“I’m getting there.” He replied as he flicked the still glowing butt of his cigarette to the ground.

“I had a wife back then, and her and I were going to make it big. We were going to sell the blueprints to the highest bidding company, then move somewhere warm and not have to worry about a damn thing. Well, the highest bidder happened to be a major oil company who just wanted to own the rights to keep the car from production. You see, a car that makes its own energy doesn’t need gasoline, and that’s bad news if that’s your top selling product.” He paused to start rolling more tobacco into the thin paper sheets he kept in his jacket pocket.

“So they bought it to keep you from making more?”

“Not exactly. Linda, my wife, wouldn’t hear of it. She threatened to divorce me if I ever even thought about selling the blueprints to them. She told me it would be like selling my soul. Of course I didn’t like it either, but it at the time no one else seemed interested. Baffling, really. It seems like something the automotive industry would be dying to get first dibs on.” He paused briefly and looked down at the cigarette in his hands, but couldn’t seem to bring himself to light it.

“Well, that’s when Linda got sick. And, you see, money was tight back then. The medical bills were too much for us to afford. There wasn’t anything else I could do, really. So I- I….” Beginning to choke up, he cleared his throat and rested his head on the brick wall behind him. In all the time we had been meeting each other up here, this is the first time I had ever seen him truly upset.

“Twenty five years ago today, I sold my soul to the devil. The corporation offered me tons of money. Money I needed for Linda. Of course, it didn’t matter how much money I threw at the hospital… Linda was too far gone. She died later that week, and I buried her the day after. There wasn’t much for me to stick around for anymore, so I packed what clothes I had and took off in the prototype. I left the keys to our house taped to the door and left the house to whoever happened to find it first. There was no going back for me. That’s what I’ve been doing ever sense; just driving. Trying to just keep running until the money ran out. I’ve still got mountains of their cash left, but lord knows I don’t want it anymore… Never did.”

We were both silent for a long time after that. I watched him as he stood, motionless, staring out into the city. His eyes softened, and for just a moment I thought I saw a tear reflect the moon’s glow. After a long while, the stillness began to eat away at my patience. “Why did you stop?”

“Damn thing finally broke down!” His sudden liveliness caught me off guard. “Rusty heap always had its troubles, always needed work… But this time she’s just dead. She’s dead and that’s just all there is too it.”

“You can’t fix it?”

“I’ve been patching her up for years now, going off of what I remembered from the blueprints. Damn thing’s been about a speed bump away from scrap metal for a while now. I kept her running for long enough, and I think it’s just about time to put her to rest.”

“So what are you going to do? Where will you go?”

He put both hands on his gut and let out a chuckle. “Looks like we’ve come full circle then. That’s why I’m here.”

Confused, I rubbed the back of my neck and said, “I’m not sure I follow. What’s here? Someone in the apartments?”

He shook his head. “The prototype’s not the only thing that’s broke down, kid. I am. There’s only so much running a man can do before he has to sit down and deal with what he’s done.” His gaze, which had been resting on the city, fell down into the noisy traffic bellow. “It’s been great talking to you… but I told you I had shit to do, and I think it’s about time I got it over with.”

Before I could protest, he took a single step and plunged from the building. I stood, frozen, watching in horror and disbelief as the sound of screeching wheels and blaring car horns filled my ears.

aouther2b wrote a review...

Hi, so sorry it took my so long to get to your piece, but I am here to help now.

So this is a really good start to something that could be very succcesful. The story is invigeating and the imagry is astounding. I could go on and on about that, but i think i should get to what you can fix to make this even stronger.

1. Your way of passing time needs some fixing. You are very repetative in how you move through time. For example you say that night twice and then some nights twice all within a few sentances of each other. If you could find another way to write it, such as Some nights, other nights, that night, the next evening. It would just help create complexity and depth that it seems you want in there.

2. There isn't closure on the wife thing. Yes she is dead, but it feels like you don't tie it into this man's actions. Maybe when he talks about the wife's death refrance the rings around his neck.

3. Maybe this is me being nitpicky, but I don't like how you described Edwin's actions toward the end. He is sad then happy (the chuckle leads me to believe so) then somber. If he is thinking about death, I wouldn't think he would be laughing. I just feel it needed to be more stable in the range of emotions.

This story is believable, to an extent. It is the skeleton of a great piece, maybe even has some muscle and skit to it. I do not think you should ever give up on it. Good JOB!

Thanks for taking the time to read and review. :) I may open this story up again later, but for now I think I'm done.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:38 pm
indieeloise wrote a review...

First of all, I love your story. It's raw in a beautiful way, and I've read it several times since you first posted it. Finally getting around to review it!

Your flow is effortless, for the most part. There were a few sentences I stumbled upon that I would revise, just because of the flow though.

"Before my eyes had even opened I knew that that night I would be returning to the rooftops to look for Edwin."

I would revise this to something like, "Before my eyes had even opened, I knew I would return to the rooftops to look for Edwin that night." Just a little verb tense I played around with here. And in the following sentence, in which you started it off with "That night," I think you could eliminate that part and just go straight into finding him, to cut down on some repetition.

It seems to me that this sentence should have a comma:
"Some nights<insert comma> things from my everyday life prevented me from going to the roof." But I may be wrong. You have a lot of repetition with starting sentences off with, "some nights," "that night," "one night," etc.

If I were you, I would try a little syntax in your sentences, to mix it up a little so your reader doesn't end up skimming over words.

"He would look up at me the moment my foot hit the gravel floor, as if he had known without a doubt that that's where I'd be at that exact moment."

I really like the idea of this sentence, how it displays the discernment of Edwin. However, while reading your piece, you repeat the double "that" a lot, and I know it's something every writer struggles with, so don't feel bad. Usually, when I fall into the "that that" pothole, I try rewording the sentence so the "thats" aren't consecutive. For instance, in this sentence, I would revise it into something like, "He would look up at me the moment my foot hit the gravel floor, as if he already knew, without a doubt, I'd be there in that exact moment."

I really liked the dialogue in this story as well. You did a great job with it!! My nit-picks are just opinions, do with them what you'd like. :)

You're a wonderful writer, can't wait to read more from you!
~Indie.

Thank you so much! I haven't had much time to be active on here, so I'm sorry I've taken so long to reply. Your review just made my day. Thank you. <3

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:18 pm
musingsmutterings wrote a review...

I think you've got the bones to something really spectacular here. The ending is spectacular, the last two sentences so blunt and taut... but the rest seems rushed and stilted. Your dialogue has some great lines worked in, but just try to make it sound as natural as possible. I agree with reviewers that said to build these two mens' relationship from the ground up - there first conversation (or at least the first conversation the reader actually experiences) should not jump immediately, head on into Edwin's past.
Edwin's invention is such a whimsical creation, and Edwin's appearance on the roof every night is very fantastical, but I don't think either of these two tones are played up enough. There are wisps of a great parallel world of wonder and invention here, and I think a little more detail and attention to the world's and the characters' idiosyncrasies would really be fantastic.
The first paragraph is show, not tell, which is fine as it works on world-building and sets quite the enigmatic mood - I would just advise you to tell as much as possible through the senses of one of the characters. Instead of "he had several lavish belongings", perhaps say "my eyes continued to dart toward the man's lavish belongings". Really, really visceral description in some passages though - overall this is a good story, you should be quite proud.
What this story most needs, however, is development for the narrator. Right now he's a foil for Edwin, because you need Edwin to talk to someone. Perhaps he suffers from insomnia, or his personal life obliquely mentioned is in grave danger, or maybe this man is losing his sense of reality and chasing the false idol that is the man on the rooftops. He needs something to him, and something that relates thematically to Edwin. As the story is now, a man tells his life's story and kills himself in exhaustion. It could be the story of two desperate men who seek fruitless solace in each other.
Thanks for reading, and continue to write!

Thanks for the help!

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 am
StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...

Love it.

The ending was, of course, spectacular. Brilliantly blunt. Nothing else needs to be said of it. The beginning was equally dry and acerbic.

Some places in between, however, need some work. The dialogue felt a little stilted and unnatural at times; I can tell that you were rushing a bit, and it would've been nice to just see you slow down a little. The characters had a likeability about them, and I for one would've gladly read this even if it was a little longer. Let it progress a little more gradually, and the conversation will flow better as well.

Either way, this really is a great piece. Very clever, and tied together very well at both ends.

Crap! I tried to do that and it reverted back to the original story! D: Noooo.....

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm
Clarity wrote a review...

Wow, this is really really good. You had me interested all the way through. I have honestly not got anything to say, you haven't given me anything to say you can improve on.

The only thing I can really say is that you have done a fantastic job.

Just one thing that confused me:

(I designed the damn thing anyway)

Why is this in brackets when the man is speaking? It should be comma's instead of brackets... and incase you are going to say that it was what he was thinking- we shouldn't be able to know what he is thinking since he is not our main character. Also, isn't he supposed to be a small mystery?

Anyway, this was an outstanding piece, and I really enjoyed it.

Well done and keep writing.

-Clarity'xo

I saw Tolkein use it and thought I could get away with it. T^T; I'll fix that. Thank you so so much for your review, Clarity. <3

Clarity says...

Ah, it's not really a good technique... at least your trying to take inspiration from other writers! :D And anytime!

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm
FlorenceLedger wrote a review...

Even though I sort of saw the ending coming half-way through, I liked it.

The story of someone inventing such a revolutionary thing as a car that runs on renewable energy being bought by an oil company is a great idea. The "sold your soul to the devil" part really works too, since oil companies can be so easily compared to the devil. I also like that you didn't try to explain how it worked. It both adds to the mystery of the story and helps not break immersion, because if some random writer could figure that out then what the hell is stopping the car companies?

I agree with what ahhhsmusch said. While I did feel a little sorry for the guy since he just seemed to get screwed out being forever ingrained in history, it didn't really have an impact. And I sort of saw it coming.

The only part I didn't understand is why the car companies weren't jumping on this idea. Maybe they didn't believe it could work, but the guy had a working prototype. It just feels a little forced. Maybe try and come up with some valid reason for why they weren't buying.

I was going to through something in about the oil companies buying them out but could really find a way to make it work. And do you have any recommendations for how I can make the ending a little less obvious, and still make it decent?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 am
malachitear wrote a review...

This gave me chills.

Hello! I'll start off with the things you should think about. Just suggestions!

- Maybe you should change your title? So that his name only appears in the text. Gives it more of that mysterious feeling you seem to be trying to convey.

- "I met (him) one night in early July". I'm not sure why, but that part seemed a bit off, because 'The man' felt rather repeated.

-"slow draws from his cigarette" should probably be 'while drawing long, slow breaths from his cigarette'. It's more 'correct' vocab and grammar-wise.

-"Despite his appearance, he had several nice belongings" You wanted to establish a sort of contrast right? To make it more clear, perhaps you could use an adjective to describe his appearance in that very same line, to make it more obvious? Like "Despite his shoddy appearance". You may want to look for an alternative for nice, because the effect you are trying to convey isn't that the man is not nice, but just that his appearance is rather filthy.

You should check your piece more for tenses, because iit becomes rather easy to slip into past and present tense when doing a recount.

But these are technical mistakes, which you can easily correct. The story itself was really good. I wasn't predictable either. Like ahhhsmuch said, the last part of the story could be drawn out longer. The idea was good, (to make him jump off a building, how sadistic xD) but it should have more hints on the way. By hints, I mean something, anything, to suggest along the way that he was contemplating suicide. Maybe something in the way he was sitting or the look in his eyes or something he repeatedly says. Something that makes the character more broken, more real. That would make the ending better, more dramatic and able to affect the reader.

I didn't really feel sorry for Edwin, but he had a story, and maybe I felt some pity because of his plunge to death, but there was little emotion in the story itself to make me actually feel bad for him. But then again, it is just a story that the metaphorical 'you' heard from a stranger. Maybe you could go on after this to comment on the feelings you had of the incident itself?

But overall, good job! i liked it :3 Sorry if I seemed a little nitpick though.

Keep Writing!
-Binder

As I told EmilytheNovelist, Nitpick is PERFECT. I thought your review was brilliant, and it gave me a lot to think about. I'm going to keep working on this, and hopefully bring it to a point that I'm truly proud of. I really appreciate the advice, man.

No problem! Just ask me if you need a review anytime (:

Will do man! I've been working on an older short story of mine, and it may be up eventually. Other than that, I've only got one other idea that I want to pursue, and it's a little half baked at the moment. When I get some more time, I'll check out some of your stuff. Again, thank you man.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:29 am
ahhhsmusch wrote a review...

"His name was Edwin" I'd cut out this second one since you already told us his name in the first line.

"Despite his appearance, he had several nice belongings; a fancy gold watch with the numbers boldly lit on the face, a very late model phone that he half-heartedly checked every few minutes (as if he already knew no one had called), and two small silver wedding bands which hung on a chain around his neck." -- I think this last part should use a colon : because it's not an independent clause that is tweaking the first clause, but several dependent clauses.

I think that if you made this story longer, you could increase the dramatic tension, and thus the end would be stronger and more emotional. The reason is since the relationship between the two is shortlived, the reader may feel bad for Edwin, but there's nothing for them to feel for the narrator. My advice is make the relationship between the two men not just one conversation, but several. Make their interactions take place over a span of a week or two, and steadily build their relationship. Maybe the narrator is new in town and is looking for a friend, or has his own problems that only this special place on top of his building with this stranger allows him to unfold. Likewise, reveal the stranger and his growing depression through either conversation or the narrator's own intrigue into Edwin's life. Something like that because at the end, I didn't feel all that sorry for Edwin or the narrator.

Thank you for the advice! Also, the first "His name was Edwin" was the title on the original document. Sorry I threw that in there. :P My bad. And I wanted to find a way to increase the tension, but I also wanted to keep it short. I'll keep tweaking it and I'll see what I can do. Thank you so much for being the first to review my story! :D

ahhhsmusch says...

Oh, well I thought that the first line being "his name was Edwin" was a good hook. And no problem!

Have you met a cow or another large animal?
— Liminality