by Shady

As soon as I was certain that Father and Myrond couldn’t see me, I set my basket down and rubbed my back, gently. Father’s footrest had done a thorough job of stripping the flesh from my shoulders and upper back, and the raw flesh was burning and throbbing, begging me to cool it.

I desperately wanted to lie in the creek for a few minutes, to let the cool water soothe my back, but I knew I couldn’t. I knew that Father and Myrond would want to know why I had been in the creek, and they both knew me well enough to know that I would go swimming when they had given me a task to do- unless I had a reason.

They’d figure out that my back’s hurt, in, about, three seconds- regardless of the story I tell them...then Father will worry and fret about the scrape, and Myrond will feel badly for causing it.

I rolled my shoulders, determined to be strong, to deal with my pain without anyone comforting me- I strode into the blacksmith’s shop, ducking under a long beam of iron the smithy had hanging from a string.

“Mr. Drakan?” I called softly.

“Who’s it?” He asked gruffly from somewhere deep within his forge.

“It’s Tasia,” I replied.

“Ah yes, I recognize the voice now,” Drakan said, as he rose from behind a large table some yards off.

“Yes sir,” I said, as I moved towards him. “How are you today?”

“I’m still kicking, how about yourself?”

“I’m well, thank you,” I replied with a grin.

I squinted in the darkness at the thin piece of iron lying on his work bench, glowing orange- he picked the metal up with tongs, and held it over his anvil. He struck it a few times with his hammer, and then dropped it into a pail of cool water-sizzling and spitting; the water cooled the scalding metal.

In a moment, Drakan pulled the metal out of the water and laid it back in the edge of his fire pit; letting the low flames lick at the wet iron- crackling as the fire dried the water and began to reheat the metal.

I grabbed hold of the handle to the bellows and began pumping it up and down, air teasing the embers into flame once more. Drakan and I watched as the flames quickly turned the bent iron to a glowing reddish orange color once more.

“That’s enough,” Drakan said gruffly.

I let the handle go and watched as Drakan carefully lifted the iron in his tongs, beating the scorching metal into a crude arch- his hammer ringing loudly as it struck the metal time and again. In a moment he dunked the iron into the bucket of water, carefully keeping his hands clear of the scalding steam.

He tossed the arch into the fire. “Go ahead.”

I began pumping the bellows once more, watching the flame dance around in his fire pit- quickly reheating the iron, making it glow and shimmer in the darkness of the forge. Drakan took a long, metal poker and stirred the embers, sending sparks in all directions.

“Alright,” he said, as he grabbed his tongs.

I let go of the handle, and watched as Drakan pounded the metal down into a flat arch- a perfect horseshoe. I grabbed the punch lying on the end of the workbench, and handed it to Drakan as he turned towards me.

“Thanks.” He turned back to the horseshoe, and punched a few small holes on either side, spacing them perfectly.

He tossed the finished horseshoe into his pail of water, and then turned towards me, rubbing his hands on a rag. “You know, you make me wish you were a boy.”

I giggled, smiling. “I wish it too, sometimes.”

“Aye, you’d make me a good apprentice,” Drakan said as he wiped his soot-covered brow with the rag, smearing the mess more than cleaning it. “Anyway...what was it you needed, Lassie?”

“I’ve got eggs,” I replied, as I lifted the basket from the ground to his work bench.

“How many?” Drakan asked, as he moved the towel a bit and peered into the basket.

“Three shy of five dozen,” I replied.

“You are looking to sell them, then?” He asked.

“Yes sir.”

“Well- come on,” he said, as he walked towards the side door of his forge. “I’ll tell you. You know I like your eggs an awful lot, but I don’t have any money.”

“I know.”

“You were looking for a trade, then?” He asked.

I nodded. “That’s fine.”

“What are you trying to get?”

“I’d like to get a block of cheese, for lunch,” I replied.

“I don’t keep any animals.” Drakan said slowly. “But...but Dastan does. He’s got goats, if I remember right.”

“He does,” I agreed. “But he’s also got chickens.”

Drakan grinned as he wiped his brow with the back of his hand, keeping the sweat from dripping into his eyes, covering his forehead in a black slime of coal dust. “Aye, but he doesn’t have a horseshoes...I was actually making that set for him.”

I looked at Drakan calmly.

“...So,” he continued. “I’ll trade you my shoes for your eggs, and then you can trade him the shoes for his cheese.”

I nodded. “Everybody wins that way.”

Drakan nodded. “That’s right...alright, how about you give me four dozen? A dozen per shoe sound fair to you?”

“You can have them all,” I said.

“That’s not fair,” Drakan argued.

I bit my lip, thinking. I had very little use for nine eggs- but I knew that he wouldn’t accept them, unless he felt he had traded me something of equal value. “How about you give me some nails, then, and take all the eggs?”

“Nails?” he asked.

“Yes sir nails, so Mr. Dastan can put the shoes on his horse, or mule, or whatever he needs them for.”

“Nails don’t cost much,” Drakan said slowly.

“Neither do eggs.”

Drakan looked at me for a long moment. “I don’t know...I don’t want to cheat you.”

“I know you don’t, sir, I don’t want to cheat you either.”

“You’re not cheating me.”

“That’s how I feel too,” I said, as I stuck my hand out. “So it sounds like we’ve got a deal.”

He chuckled and shook my hand; his large, calloused hands hurting my small, tender one, even though he was trying to be gentle.

“Alright, I’ll get you the shoes,” he said, as he walked back into his forge.

“Do you want me to take your eggs into your house?”

“That’s alright,” Drakan said, as he fished the shoes out of the pail of water. “I’m going in there in a minute, anyway. I can take them.”

Drakan wrapped four shoes in a rag and handed them to me, along with a small bag filled with horseshoe nails.

“Thank you,” I said sweetly, as I tucked the shoes under my arm and slipped the nails into my pocket.

“No, thank you,” Drakan said. “I always like it when you come bearing eggs.”

I grinned, as I moved towards the door. “I’m glad...well...Father is waiting for me...”

“Oh! Is he in town?” Drakan asked.

I nodded. “Yes sir. He came with Mr. Myrond to make people settle down.”

“Yeah, the idiots,” Drakan growled. “I didn’t have the patience for them. I just stayed in my shop.”

I giggled, unsure of how to respond.

“Where is he?”

“Mr. Myrond’s house...well, I really should go. It was nice talking to you,” I said, as I stepped out into the daylight once more.

“I enjoyed talking to you as well, g’bye Tasia.”

“Bye!” I waved and then trotted down the road, further out of town, towards Dastan’s house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I could see his little house, I heard Dastan’s voice. I gently climbed over the small bank that hid his house, and looked down on his smallish farm. He was standing in front of his house, his eyes wide with excitement, his hands moving quickly, acting out his story, his voice loud and energetic- two kids sat in front of him, mesmerized.

I quietly walked up on him.

“-That’s when he saw me, his red eyes locked on mine, his yellow fangs bared, his mouth watering- expecting me to be its next meal.” Dastan looked up and winked at me, before turning his attention back to the little kids, who were horrified.

“What did you do?” One of them asked eagerly.

“What did I do?” Dastan repeated in a ridiculous accent. “Why, I just stared it down, and crouched. I was ready for it... He watched me for a long time before he could build his courage up, but then he leapt towards me!” Dastan jumped towards the kids, his eyes wide, his hair unruly, his hands above his head, his fingers bent like claws.

The kids squawked and fell over themselves, trying to retreat.

“He tried to take my head off!” Dastan shouted, as he playfully swung his hand towards the little boy’s head. “I had no choice! I just pulled out my knife, sharp as a razor, and I ripped his guts out!” He began cackling like a madman, waving an imaginary knife through the air.

I started laughing; laughing at his story, laughing at the emotion he poured into the tale, laughing at the reactions of the little kids, who believed his every word- laughing at the memory of him telling me stories when I had been little, and me believing them.

The kids jumped and looked between Dastan and me, nervously laughing.

“Alright, you kids had better get home,” Dastan said, mussing up the little boy’s hair, switching back to his normal accent, “before your Pappies get on me for keeping you here.”

“Yes sir,” they replied in unison, and then trotted off.

I laughed and shook my head.

“What?” He asked.

“Was any of that true?”

“Not a word,” he replied, chuckling.

“You’ve got quite an imagination,” I commented.

Dastan shrugged, brushing his gray-streaked hair out of his face. “It’s not hard, really. I thought up most of my stories before half of the township was born, you included...you can sit down.”

“Really?” I asked, sitting down on the stool he gestured at.

“Really- you can sit. I don’t mind.”

I narrowed my eyes. “I meant is it true you thought up your stories before most of us were born?”

“Yep,” he replied, as he sat on a stool opposite me, and pulled a pipe from his pocket. “I thought most of them up when I was a kid, and practiced telling them to my friends. The older boys delighted in teasing me about them.”

“That wasn’t nice of them.”

Dastan shrugged as he lit his pipe. “Eh, well, I knew they didn’t mean it. They’d be the first to listen to my stories- and they were just as captivated as everybody else...besides, they’ve more than paid for their sins.”

“How?”

His eyes burned with a mischievous passion as he blew a mouthful of smoke into the air. “They’re what the rest of my stories are about.”

“Do you have any stories about my Father?” I asked hopefully.

Dastan smirked. “I’ve got lots of stories about your Pappy.”

“Will you tell me?” I asked eagerly.

“I would, but I can’t.”

“Why not?” I asked, the smile falling from my face.

“Because, your Pappy told me years ago, right after Kyan was born, that I wasn’t to tell you kids stories of what he did when he was younger- unless I wanted hurt; and I believe him.”

“Oh, he won’t hurt you, tell me,” I begged.

Dastan shook his head. “No, I ain’t tellin’.”

I sighed. “Fine...but how do you remember all the stories you thought up so many years ago?”

“I don’t have all that many stories, to be honest. I just tweak stories every time I tell them.”

“You never told me that story you were telling them.”

“I did too- only in the version you heard, I stalked a bear, if I remember correctly. It never saw me coming, so its red eyes didn’t lock onto mine,” Dastan smirked.

“...I don’t remember it.”

“Of course not- that’s the beauty of it all. I can tell every kid in every household the exact same story, and, when you’re that age, you’re not likely to remember it ‘til dinner- so the next time I tell it, it seems new.”

“That’s clever.”

“What did you expect from me?” Dastan laughed.

I grinned. Dastan had always been my favorite person to talk to. He could turn the most mundane task into a captivating story- almost making you want to clean the chicken coop, to give the dwarves a chance to kidnap you, so you could see their halls of stone that Dastan described with such enthusiasm.

His voice had accompanied me nearly all of my waking hours when I was a younger- his stories and strange accents buzzing around in my head, making me search for adventures everywhere I went.

“So how may I help you, my dear? I know you didn’t just come out here to shoot the breeze, with an old man like me.”

“Why not?” I mused. “I certainly did it a lot when I was younger.”

“Yes, but I fear I’ve crushed your trust today- letting you know that most of my stories aren’t true-”

I laughed. “I’ve suspected that for a while now.”

“I doubt I’ll see much of her now,” he continued, talking to himself.

“Oh, you know I’ll still come around.”

“She’ll probably be scarred for life.”

“I don’t-“

“I’m a jerk. I give her hope and then yank it away.”

“Do you want to know why I came here or not?” I asked, laughing.

“Oh, the kind dear- she’s still willing to tell me, after all I’ve put her through.”

“I-“

“She’s so forgiving.”

“I am,” I agreed.

“What is it that you were going to tell me, dear?”

“I was going to see-“

“You can tell me. I want to know.”

“Okay, I was going to ask if you wanted-“

“Don’t be shy; just say what’s on your mind.”

“I was going to ask if you wanted to-”

“I swear I’ll do my best to give you a straight answer.”

“Do you want to-“

“You can trust me.”

I sighed and narrowed my eyes at him. Dastan smirked at me, and, after a moment of silence, asked. “Aren’t you going to tell me?”

“Are you going to let me finish?”

“Of course I will.”

“Alright, I was going to ask-“

“It’s rude to interrupt, you know.”

“Yes, I’m aware,” I growled.

“What were you saying?”

“I was going to ask if you wanted to-“

“I’m glad you don’t-“

“Trade horseshoes for cheese!” I finished, talking over him.

“My, you are rude.”

“I know,” I snorted. “Do you?”

“Do I?”

“Do you want to trade horseshoes for cheese?”

“Ah, I would, but alas, I am lacking horseshoes.”

“Well do you have cheese?” I asked.

“I do.”

“What a coincidence- I’ve got horseshoes.”

“You’ve got horseshoes but no horse?”

“I’ve got a horse- he’s just not with me.”

Dastan laughed. “Why would you walk, if you’ve got a horse you could ride?”

“It’s good exercise.”

“Exercise...a thing to be avoided.”

“Maybe...” I agreed.

“So you’re just walking around with horseshoes?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because I wanted to see if you wanted to trade them for cheese,” I said, growing frustrated.

“My, my, puberty has cut your fuse short, hasn’t it?” Dastan asked. “You used to be able to spar words with me for hours.”

My face flushed red, embarrassed. “I-I don’t...I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I didn’t figure you did,” he laughed. “Alright, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you mad.”

“I’m not mad.”

“You look mad.”

“I am not mad,” I insisted, clenching my fists.

“I see that,” he said patronizingly.

I sighed. “Fine, I’ll just steal a goat and throw the shoes at your cow.”

“That’s not nice.”

“I’m sure you’ll turn me into a story and get revenge,” I said crossly.

I shouldn’t be getting so angry with him. He’s only joking- we used to play like this all the time, when I’d come over here.

He laughed. “No, I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“I’m sure.”

“Why are you in such a hurry, anyway? You’re acting like you can’t wait to leave.”

“It’s not that I want to leave, though you are annoying me today, it’s that my Father is waiting for me. He’s was expecting me to go to Mr. Drakan’s forge to peddle my eggs, he doesn’t know I came all the way out here.”

“Ah, so you went to Drak’s first. “

“Where do you think I got the horseshoes?” I asked, calming myself.

“An insignificant detail, my dear- the big picture we should be looking at, is that you went to Drak’s place before you came to mine. You obviously like him better, don’t you? Go ahead, admit it.” He pretended to be deeply offended.

“Fine, I admit it,” I said flippantly.

He recoiled slightly. “Oh...alright...”

I scoffed, laughing at his reaction. “Don’t make such absurd accusations. It had nothing to do with my preferences. I just had eggs that I needed to peddle, and knew that Mr. Drakan always wants some...Today, though, he didn’t have food to trade me.

“Instead, he traded me the shoes he had made for you- and sent me out here to trade them to you for the cheese I want. Now is that acceptable or not?”

Dastan raised his eyebrows. “Yes ma’am, that is.”

“Thank you.”

“You don’t have to thank me, it didn’t sound like I had much choice,” he laughed as he went in his house. “I’ve learned that you do what a lady says, when she lays out orders like that.”

“I didn’t give any orders.”

“No, but you sure put the situation into perspective,” he laughed, as he emerged with a large block of cheese.

“Thank you,” I said, trying to be sweet, as I took the cheese from him and wrapped it in the cloth he offered.

He took the horseshoes from me and unwrapped them. “I don’t suppose he sent any nails?”

I pulled them out of my pocket. “Right here.”

“I don’t suppose you’d like to stay for tea?”

I smiled. “You still drink tea?”

Everyone else had given up the frivolous practice when tea had become too expensive to afford; everyone except Dastan- who began digging his own roots and drying his own tea leaves.

“I do. Would you like to drink a glass with me?”

I bit my lip. “I...I would, but I can’t. As I said, my Father is waiting for me.”

“Is he in town?”

I nodded. “Yes sir, at Mr. Myrond’s house.”

Dastan raised his eyebrows, sighing exasperatedly. “I thought I had broken you of that annoying habit.”

“I’m sorry. I can’t help it. Everyone else wants to be called sir.”

“I bet Yamani doesn’t.”

I smirked. “You’re right, she doesn’t.”

“There you go, tellin’ tales,” Dastan shook his head. “You say everyone when you don’t mean it.”

“I meant that all of the other men want to be called sir.”

“Well say what you mean and mean what you say.”

“Yes...” I trailed off when Dastan narrowed his eyes. “...Okay.”

“That’s better...”

“I’m glad.”

“I’m sure...alright, I don’t want you to get in trouble, so go ahead, but come back some day when you have time to stay, okay?”

“Okay,” I agreed, smiling. “I will.”

“Good,” Dastan hugged me and then gave me a push towards the road.

I quickly walked to the top of the little bank, and paused, turning back, right before his house would be out of sight.

“Bye!” I called, waving.

He waved. “Bye! Cause as much trouble as you can!”

“You know I will.” I laughed, and hopped down into the road.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:12 pm
WaitingForLife wrote a review...

Heya!

My most humble apologies for taking so long to get to this, but here we are. I'd like to point out that I won't be reading the earlier reviews, cause I'm lazy like that, and might end up repeating something they've said. That having been said, onwards me hearties.

The one thing that I loved about this chapter was the dialogue. You have a gift of making the words your characters speak sound completely plausible and realistic. I especially loved the character of Dastan; just a brilliantly clever character all around. Your MC, Tasia, has a distinctive voice and seems a strong feminine character with a knack for intelligence. This was more of a transitory chapter, introducing more characters, so the lack of action/problems to overcome were obviously missing - no harm done there.

This is solid writing in an interesting environment. I've yet to read any earlier chapters so I haven't the exacts pinned down, but I know it's either fantasy or historical due to the smithing and women not being able to become apprentices, at least to blacksmiths. This is why I especially like the fact that Tasia seems an independently capable character even at such a young age. Gotta show us guys that women can do stuff too. :P

--------

Now, time for the nitpicks. I've got quite a few I found, some of which are more frequent than others. Let's dive right in.

they had given me a task to do - unless I had a reason.

When using a, uh, line (whatever the actual term is, screw it) hit that space bar on either side of it. I noticed this throughout the work, and even though it's a rather trivial thing, it starts to pop out, becoming quite irritating.

They’d figure out that my back’s hurt, in, about, three seconds

No need for the comma after hurt.

Myrond will feel badly for causing it.

I'd go with "feel bad", 'badly' seems a little off color.

without anyone comforting me - I strode

Either a period or a semi-colon here, more preferably a period as the sentences are both quote long.

“Who’s it?” he asked gruffly

Small letter when a pronoun used to indicate speech.

Drakan said, as he rose from behind

Lose the comma here to get a better flow. I always want to put a comma before 'as' as well (hehe, as as), but it usually doesn't require one and ends up chopping the flow into jagged parts.

He struck it a few times with his hammer, and then dropped it into a pail of cool water-sizzling and spitting

I see you like to use the line. Which isn't a bad thing - it's a really under-appreciated covention; but cool as it is, I think you should chill out with it. :D Here "the hot metal sizzling and spitting" or a simple comma instead of the line (is it a colon? o.O I had a random remembrance) would work much better.

After a moment, Drakan pulled the metal out of the water and laid it back in the edge of his fire pit, letting the low flames lick at the wet iron *space* - crackling as the fire dried the water and began to reheat the metal.

turned the bent iron to a glowing reddish orange color once more.

'Color' is redundant here, as we know it's a color from 'reddish orange'.

He turned back to the horseshoe, and punched a few small holes

You don't need the comma here before 'and'. Screws with the flow and isn't aribitary, so I suggest to get rid of it.

“How many?” Drakan asked, as he moved the towel

You used the 'as...' form in the earlier sentence. Sounds awkward to use it again.

“Three shy of five dozen,” I replied.

Nothing wrong here, just wanted to point out me likey how you worder this. ^^

“You are looking to sell them, then?” he asked.

“I’m going in there in a minute, anyway. I can take them.”

“What did you do?” one of them asked eagerly.

and I ripped his guts

Ripping guts sounds odd. Ripping out might make more sense, but maybe not with a knife... Meh, sounds odd to my ears, is all.

“Exercise...a thing to be avoided.”

“Maybe...” I agreed.

Be careful when using ellipses. They can be impatful when used sparingly and in the right context, but seem - for the lack of a better word - almost childish when used in rapid succession. Here they work passingly well. The first instance is a bit dodgy but ultimately working.

-----

I won't go through the rest of the story, because most of the mistakes have been covered in the ones above. I've got a few pointers based on all the nitpicks I found.

1. Chill out with the comma (and the colon to a lesser degree), especially before words such as 'and' and 'as'. I make this mistake all the time, wanting to cram more and more commas to break things up into orderly parts, but the truth is that it takes away from the flow. In the end, if it sounds awkward to the reader, then it is awkward.

2. Be careful with the formal requirements of dialogue, lower and upper case letters, commas, etc. It's a shame that such great dialogue is partially screwed over by slight mishaps. It jolts a reader out of the believable world you've created.

3. You've got a lot of potential as a writer. ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed this, which is rather odd of me - as I'm more of an action-orientated person myself. Your dialogue really is high class, and it seems to me that it will be one of the driving forces of this novel. Plot-wise I can't say much as I've missed out on it by not reading the earlier parts, but I enjoy the banter between the characters. Just clear up some of the awkward typing and this'll be great.

Hope this helps and sorry once more for the delay. If you've any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Keep writing. :)

Your's truly,
Life.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:06 am
DudeMcGuy wrote a review...

I'm back again Shadow! Let's get to it.

So right off the bat there are quite a few "had's" in this chapter too. I'm sure you can see them yourself so I'll be brief.

General corrections:
Change "had done" to "did".
Change "had been" to "was".
Change "had given" to "gave".
"I had a reason" is fine.
Change "the smithy had hanging" to "that hung".
"Had very little use" is fine too.
"had traded" should just be "traded".
Change "had been little" to "was little".
Change "had always been" to "was always" or just "was".
Cut the had in "had accompanied".
"had given up" --> "gave up", "had become" --> "Became".

That's it for those.

"...stripping the flesh from my shoulders and upper back..."

Yikes! Very descriptive, but maybe a bit too much in my opinion. Maybe "cutting" instead of "stripping"? You mention after this that the flesh is burning and throbbing, which would imply that it's still on her back, not "stripped" right? :)

You have an opportunity to describe this new character "Drakan" a bit more physically here. What does he look like? How old is he? (Cool name by the way).

OK, really quick, the dialogue where the blacksmith says he "wishes Tasia was a boy" to be his apprentice: You should probably tie that in to the fact that all the boys are being taken away because of Makata. Tasia could still agree that she likes working with Drakan, but she wouldn't want to be taken away either.

"“Aye, but he doesn’t have a horseshoes..." -- Typo. Should be "any horseshoes".

On a side note, you're introducing two new characters in separate scenes (which is a good way to do it), but their names both start with the letter "D". Maybe just change the first letter of one of them to help differentiate them more. But don't use "M" because you already have "Myrond" and "Makata".

"and I ripped his guts!" -- Maybe "and I ran him through!" would sound better since he's trying to be really dramatic. Cool Dialogue overall, I like this Dastan guy...

There are 13 lines straight of just dialogue (starting with "Oh..." and ending with "You can trust...") that have no actions or descriptions along with them. It looks a little bare without seeing a dialogue tag or action. I always try to average out one action/description for every three or four lines. Otherwise you could cut the dialogue out a bit, but that would be a shame because Dastan's banter with Tasia is pretty entertaining.

Who is Yamani by the way? Is she a new character too? The name is just mentioned briefly towards the end. I don't remember that name so I'll just assume it's someone new. :)

------------

Well, I was hoping to make this review longer, but this chapter was a bit shorter and a lot of dialogue. I would say most of the dialogue is good, but the conversation with Dastan did go on a bit too long in the middle I thought.

The big issue with this chapter though is that I can't see how it ties in to the rest of the story right now. I mean, Chapter 4 ended with Myron inviting them to have a serious discussion, but we don't know what he said or did there. Now we flash-forward and Tasia is running errands for them.

Here is my suggestion: Make these errands about more than cheese, eggs, and horseshoes. You could make it so Myron and Timothy sent Tasia out to recruit some of the more trusted towns people (Drakan and Dastan) to help with the future struggle against Makata. You could even make Tasia unaware of this by just having her deliver a line from Myron that Dastan and Drakan know the meaning of, but Tasia does not. Like "The days are running short" or something. (OK, maybe something less obvious and less cheesy. :) Just some phrase that they understand means it's time to stand together or something)

If executed correctly Tasia could feel like an "adult" for being counted on for such an important task, or she could feel like her father doesn't trust her enough to just tell her what the true purpose of her errands are. Lot's of character opportunities here.

Also, Dastan and Dakar need to be involved in the story far beyond just this chapter since you set aside a whole chapter to introduce them. You can't have Tasia just give them eggs and horseshoes and never see them again. Their impact needs to be significant.

I could easily see Myrond recruiting Dakar to make weapons for him and having Dastan to rile up the townspeople against Makata with his smooth talking and storytelling/imagination.

I don't know, just thinking out loud here and trying to help. I have this vision of Myrond feeling it's his responsibility as mayor to help save as many people as he can from his village. So he enlists Dakar and Dastan to help him start an armed revolt or something with a small minority of the townspeople. But then you could have Myrond reveal that the real reason behind this is to help Timothy, Tasia, and his son Liandor escape Makata's kingdom.

Tasia could go on wishing she was an adult-- thinking that she wouldn't be powerless to stop Myrond's sacrifice if she was older. Like I said, just thinking out loud :) .

Right now, Dastan and Dakar don't feel nearly as important as Timothy or Myrond. Which is why giving them an entire chapter feels off to me.

Timothy is Tasia's father and so he's automatically a very important character. (And so his back-story in chapter 3 was justified in the overall plot). Myrond is the mayor, so he's very important too since chapter 1. But the two men in this chapter don't seem important enough right now, which is why I suggest connecting them to Myrond, or Timothy, or both. Make them feel important and necessary in the struggle against Makata.

This chapter and the last are a great opportunity to build to a very exciting one later in the story. (I'm picturing a full on invasion of the town by Makata's army, searching for every last boy. Which could be just Liandor if you wanted. Maybe even have Makata's army go back on his word and kill some of the townspeople even though they gave up their son's already.)

It's just right now there doesn't seem to be enough of that building. The chapters just seem a little stagnant. Sorry if that was too mean. :( I think you have good interactions in this chapter, but you didn't make them quite as meaningful as they could be.

^A lot of that is just suggestions. It's your story, don't let me dictate a plot you don't want to do. Stick to how you see the story unfolding. And most importantly: Keep writing!

Bye for now,
-DudeMcGuy :)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 pm
DarknecrosisX wrote a review...

This work is a good bit of dialogue; the personalities of the characters featured are portrayed well, making it much easier for the reader to relate to them, envy them, or hold any sort of feeling towards them. Your imagination has created a variation of different people, from the young inquisitiveness and quick-temper of Tasia, to the straight-talking, gruff Drakan, and so forth. Although the conversations could be slightly repetitive at times, they certainly had direction, but one thing worries me about this chapter:

Usually, there is a briefly mentioned plotline by this stage in a novel, which I cannot see in this chapter (unless of course I am required to examine earlier prequels), and even if it has been mentioned, this chapter shows very little advancement, just dialogue and cheese trading.

Moving on to another good thing about this piece, you have a good understanding of sentence structure, and a fairly wide use of punctuation was seen in this piece. As well as this, you used a vast range verbs and adjectives to avoid becoming repetitive and boring, so that worked very well.

However, at the same time, this chapter lacked environmental description; I couldn't accurately say what time of day it was- dawn, midnight, noon, dusk- you just didn't mention it. As well as this, the area the piece was set in was hard to picture: how dreary and sooty was Drakan's forge? What was Dastan's farm like apart from being 'smallish'? Unfortunately, this slightly ruined the feel of the scene, if you follow me, because although the characters had a lot to say, the world did nothing- no chirping birds or squawking gulls or blowing breezes.

As for grammatical and spelling errors, I spotted none at all, well, I think I found one:

'I started laughing; laughing at his story ; laughing at the emotion he poured into the tale; laughing at the reactions of the little kids, who believed his every word; laughing at the memory of him telling me stories when I had been little, and me believing them.'

You tend to use semi-colons to separate long, descriptive lists or similarly starting sentences that continue from each other, like the one I mentioned above. But that's a A* grade mistake in terms of English language, so not too much to worry about.

So, in summary: I saw little progress in plotline, but maybe you were taking the time to introduce a few more characters or develop your central character (which I am assuming Tasia is); nice variation in punctuation and vocabulary, keep it up; use more environmental description to set the scene (sight, smell, sound, taste and touch is what use as a checklist); and good work developing your characters!

I hope this helped!

Regards
DNX

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie