z

Young Writers Society



The Roads of Marceris Ch.7 (part 2)

by DudeMcGuy


Quick note: [Some new/odd names in this Chapter. Pronunciation: {Kliaten} - *Klee-ah-ten*, {Nheera} - *N'-hee-rah* {Elseir} - *El-seer* {Lu-os} - *Luh-ohs* (heavy "U" and "O" sounds)]

------------------------------------------------

The sun began its decent over the western horizon as Dyne focused on the road ahead of him. He was mostly quiet, occasionally humming simple tunes as they came to mind. Radi did not make for an easy audience however, and he demanded silence as he read over the details of his draft notice yet again. Juliana and Lucian sat at the back of the wagon, keeping their voices low so they would not be eavesdropped on by the others.

“Sorry if I was too rough back there,” he said.

“No, it’s fine. You could have warned me though.”

“I didn’t think there was enough time, but you’re right. I’m sorry. I should have said something first.”

“That’s alright Lucian, thanks for your help.”

They spoke for the next several hours about various topics, including Marceris and the other surrounding nations. Lucian asked Juliana many questions about the distant lands, and she was surprised how little he knew about things she considered common knowledge. I suppose it’s only natural. He hasn’t really been educated. She admired his curiosity and desire to learn, traits she wished her brother would display more often.

“Can you remember all of that?” she asked.

“I think so,” Lucian whispered back. “The continent we live on is called Regnashel, and there are three kingdoms; Marceris in the northwest, Serathyme in the…northeast?

“That’s right.”

“And Riensmer is to the south, across the Volek Mountains. Marceris has been at war with Serathyme for over a year. ”

Juliana nodded. “Diplomatic relations between the three countries are very poor, so there have been many wars. Some lasted only a few months, but others went on for years or even decades.”

“I understand that, but something Radi said still bothers me.”

“That’s not surprising,” she giggled. “Is it about the Elseir and the Nheera?”

“Yeah, he said they are able to use magic, but I still don’t understand how.”

“First of all, Radi doesn’t know much more than you do right now, so he’s not the best person for those sorts of questions. Let me explain it to you.”

Lucian slid to her side of the wagon and listened closely as she began to lecture.

“All humans have energy within them called Lu-os, it’s what makes magic possible. But there are three different types of this energy. You’re a Kliaten, so your Lu-os is called closed; it’s unable to leave your body, but it's also the strongest type. So even though you’re unable to cast magic your Lu-os makes you physically resistant to either healing or elemental magic.”

“I see, so you had to use more of your own, uh... Lu-os to heal me? Because I'm resistant?”

“Yes, but someone more experienced could have healed you much easier, so it’s not your fault.”

“Alright, so what about you and Radi?”

“Radi, Grandpa, and my whole family are all Nheera. Our Lu-os is open. That means we have the ability to channel our energy into other living things and heal them. Open Lu-os flows in and out of our bodies freely, but it can be controlled with training and practice. And it’s the opposite of closed, so we are much more susceptible to magical energy than Kliaten people.”

“What happens to your Lu-os if it's not inside you?”

“Oh sorry; I should have explained that first. Lu-os is all around us; it's in the air, the water, all of nature. It’s everywhere, so it's inside people too.”

Lucian nodded slowly. “Okay, I think I understand, but earlier you said Radi was a Nheera and that you were a Pure Nheera. What does that mean?”

“A Pure Nheera is born with a greater affinity for healing than other Nheera. We're called gifted because less than one in ten thousand are born this way. At least that's what I've read; I know that Pure Nheera are very rare.”

“So... if Nheera can heal, then why can't Radi? And how do you know which Nheera are gifted?

He has so many questions. His parents must not have known any of this either. “Well, I'm sure you noticed my unusual hair color right? No one is sure why, but all the Pure Nheera are born with white hair like mine. So you can tell between a Nheera and Pure Nheera quite easily.”

“Oh, I was wondering about that when I first saw you. I’d never seen anyone with hair like yours before.”

“Well now you know,” she said with a smile. “As for Radi... he is a Nheera, and that means he has the potential to heal. But the vast majority of Nheera have weak control over their Lu-os, so most of them leave the healing arts to the gifted. They could develop their power if they wanted to, but it would be very difficult for them to just reach the level of an untrained Pure Nheera. So many people actually live their entire lives without ever knowing if they are Kliaten or Nheera.”

Lucian became silent and gave her an odd stare.

“Is something wrong?”

“Uh, no. It's just... you know so much about all of this.”

“I've read many books about different healing techniques for each race, so know a little more than most people. It was confusing the first time for me too though. Don’t feel bad if it's a little overwhelming.”

“Alright, what about the Elseir? How does their Lu-os work?”

“Their Lu-os is called external, because it only flows out of them and interacts with the Lu-os found in nature; and usually in a supernatural way.”

“You mean like controlling the elements right? That’s what Radi told me.”

“Yes, the Elseir can manipulate water, fire, lighting, wind, or even the earth. Some Elseir are especially powerful and can manipulate Lu-os to conjure an element even if it isn’t present. Like creating water in a desert or calling down lightning from a clear sky.”

Lucian’s curiosity faded as she finished speaking. He folded his hands over his mouth stared at the floor. “And this elemental magic is what they use to rule over us, right? Radi told me that the Elseir of each country are royalty or rulers of the kingdoms.”

“That’s true, but it’s not what you think. Almost all of the Elseir are nobility or tied to the royal family, but they don’t abuse their power. We need them to protect us, so over time they became the leaders of every kingdom.”

“Who told you that?”

“Uh, well…” How can I explain it to him? She leaned forward and looked into his eyes. “Can I ask you something Lucian?”

“Ask me?” He looked at her with a confused and reluctant expression. “Sure, go ahead.”

“Um, do you… do you believe in the Goddess?”

“G-Goddess? I… no, sorry I don’t know anything about that. What is it?”

“She is the divine creator. Our entire world has been shaped by her hands and every creature was given life by her will. She created the air we breathe, the water we drink, and even Lu-os energy. She is our eternal and loving savior.”

“R-Really? What do you mean by divine and eternal?

Juliana did her best to explain the omnipotent, all-powerful being of her faith. Lucian initially had difficulty understanding and asked her to repeat the same explanations several times before he fully grasped the concept of a deity. He was particularly troubled with the immense power that the Goddess possessed, but he became relieved when Juliana told him the creator loved each human being equally and unconditionally.

“How do you know all this?” he asked. “Did you read about the Goddess also?”

“Yes.” Juliana searched through her belongings and retrieved a small book. “This is a copy of the Aeda.”

“The Aeda?”

“Yes, the Adea is a collection of scriptures and prophecies the Goddess has given to us. Some of them are the oldest known writings of the Goddess in the world. She spoke all of these predictions to the prophet Cima several thousand of years ago, and many of them have come true since then.”

“The Goddess can speak to us?”

“Of course, but there are very few accounts of her actually appearing before someone in physical form. She usually speaks to us through our meditation and prayer, but she originally spoke to Cima in his dreams.”

Lucian stared at her and said nothing.

This is probably too much for him to take in all at once, but I should at least tell him about the Elseir. She opened the religious text and flipped through the pages to the middle of the book. “Here, listen to this Lucian. You asked earlier about why the Elseir are royalty.” She began to read the passage to him, holding her finger under each word as she spoke.

“Some born of this world will be granted power to defend the weak in Her name. They will be called the Elseir, and She will bestow upon them the love and trust to protect Her children. They will be the servants the of the divine will. Holding back the darkness until all can return with Her to the light.

“What does that mean?” Lucian asked.

“Don’t you see Lucian? This is why the Elseir have become royalty. She has chosen them to protect us! Their elemental magic is a gift granted to them by the Goddess! She has given the Elseir the responsibility to protect mankind from evil and darkness.”

“Then why do the kingdoms war with each other?”

Juliana closed the Aeda and lowered her head. “Well, because they’ve lost sight… Many of the kings and queens have lost their faith in the Goddess. They no longer believe, so they’ve been warring with each other against her will.”

Lucian paused and scratched his head as he stared at the book in her hands.

“Is something wrong Lucian?”

“No… it’s just, you talk about all of this like you know it to be true.”

“It is true Lucian, it must be. How else could humanity be blessed with the ability to control the power of Lu-os? The Goddess is watching over us. She loves us and protects us. I feel her spirit when I pray to her, so I believe in her without a doubt in my mind.”

“And… you believe in me too?”

“Y-Yes, I believe in you Lucian, and I trust you.”

He looked at her with an awkward stare and took a deep breath. “Juliana I… I don’t understand. We just met a few days ago. How can you trust me knowing what I’ve done.”

He has that look about him again, she thought. It’s the same as when Radi told him he couldn’t use that spear anymore. Has he lost his confidence in himself? “Lucian… What happened after your mother died, that wasn’t really you.” She put her hand on his shoulder and handed him the Aeda. “The Goddess tells us that evil can enter our hearts and make us do terrible, awful things. All we can do is repent to her and strengthen our faith to protect us. The Aeda teaches that all people are inherently good, it’s the darkness of the world that separates us from her grace and love.”

“But Juliana, I’m joining the same military that killed my family. And I may be forced to kill again just for the chance to see Baldren someday. How could the Goddess forgive me for something so selfish?”

­

Selfish? What does he mean? “Listen to me Lucian, fighting for our country is not selfish at all. You’ll be risking your life to defend those who can’t protect themselves. The Goddess will see your courage and sacrifice too. She knows you’re looking for your brother, so you should pray and ask for her protection until you find him.”

“Ask the Goddess… but…” His voice trailed off as he mumbled and looked away.

“What’s wrong Lucian?”

He turned back to her. “Juliana I… I’ve never prayed before. Will you teach me?”

He, he believes! She's opened his heart! Oh Goddess, thank you! “O-Of course I will. Here take my hands.” She turned and faced him as she crossed her legs and extended her arms out to him.

Lucian reached out and held her hands. “Juliana? Are you crying?”

“I’m fine,” Juliana answered as she wiped her misty eyes against her sleeve. Thank you my Goddess! I’ll never forget this. Your grace is overwhelming. “I’ll pray with you Lucian. Just close your eyes and repeat what I say.” She bowed her head and squeezed his hands as a tear ran down her cheek. “Oh mighty Goddess.”

Lucian cleared his throat. “Oh mighty Goddess.”

Juliana smiled as she heard the nervous sincerity in his voice. “I come before you with love and humility.”

“I come before you… with love and humility.”

“Lead me down the path of your holiness, so I may join you in the light.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 pm
Twit wrote a review...



Hi Dude!


Radi did not make for an easy audience however, and he demanded silence as he read over the details of his draft notice yet again.

Nitpicky, but this could be more streamlines: “Radi did not make an easy audience, and loudly demanded silence as he reread the details of his draft notice.” Or however you want it. ^_^


“I think so,” Lucian whispered back. “The continent we live on is called Regnashel, and there are three kingdoms; Marceris in the northwest, Serathyme in the…northeast?

“That’s right.”

“And Riensmer is to the south, across the Volek Mountains. Marceris has been at war with Serathyme for over a year. ”

Juliana nodded. “Diplomatic relations between the three countries are very poor, so there have been many wars. Some lasted only a few months, but others went on for years or even decades.”

It might turn out to be an important plot point, but whenever I see sections like this a story, it always makes me wonder just how relevant this is. Do we need to know the exact geography of the surrounding countries? If I were to read a story set in World War One, I wouldn’t need to know all about Austria and Serbia, even though they were important in the whole thing happening; I just need to know the immediate stuff—there’s a war, it’s mostly happening in trenches and the generals are stupid. I should teach history, I really should.


“That’s not surprising,” she giggled. “Is it about the Elseir and the Nheera?”

This sounds surprisingly flighty, and to me, incongruous.


“Oh sorry; I should have explained that first. Lu-os is all around us; it's in the air, the water, all of nature. It’s everywhere, so it's inside people too.”

Sounds like Star Wars...


Lucian’s curiosity faded as she finished speaking.

This makes it sound like he’s not interested anymore, but he’s clearly still thinking about it all.


“Y-Yes, I believe in you Lucian, and I trust you.”

I get that Lucian was stuttering because he was unsure, but I’m not sure I see why the stuttering here.


He looked at her with an awkward stare and took a deep breath.

This could be condensed: “He looked at her awkwardly” or “He stared at her awkwardly” or “His stare was uncomfortable”.


He, he believes! She's opened his heart! Oh Goddess, thank you!

This is a bit of a leap? Although it could be Juliana’s naiveté...

---
Hi!

I very much like this demonstration of Juliana’s faith. It gives a real insight into her character, and it’s a great way of showing more about this religion that is so important to her. I hope she keeps her faith and it doesn’t get horribly shattered later on. >_< The idea of all humans being intrinsically good is an interesting one. Parts of this religion remind me of Christianity, but the “basically good humans” is original.

I do feel like the “history lesson” is a bit contrived, but I’m having difficulty thinking of another way to impart the information about the magics. Unless it is important, I’d skip the geography part because the position of countries are things that often aren’t very significant, and the politics can be revealed later on in passing. The magic information, however, could be the kind of thing you need to know the inner workings of. Maybe I’m hyper-picky about the lesson format and it’s okay as it is. I don’t know. >_<

PM or Wall me if you have any questions! :D

-twit




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:55 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Dude!

I am here with the review for part two!

And it’s the opposite of closed,
~ As I mentioned in my last review, you shouldn't start a sentence with 'And'. (Speaking of the last review, it was the one that earned me a third star ;) )

He was particularly troubled with the immense power that the Goddess possessed, but he became relieved when Juliana told him the creator loved each human being equally and unconditionally.
~ I don't like 'became relieved'...not sure what to suggest...maybe... "He was particularly troubled with the immense power that the Goddess possessed, until Juliana told him..." Or something...I'm not sure...

I do not want to irritate you. Please do not get angry with me for this comment- it's your choice what you do, and I'm not trying to criticize it (anymore than a review gives me license too ;) ). You and I discussed your goddess before, and I told you that I thought she would be fine, unless you included God in your story...but...well...the way Juliana explained her and the "Aeda" (a really cool name, BTW), it made it seem like a feminist-pleasing version of the God of Israel. (That may've sounded weird, but I'm having trouble keeping the goddess and gods and God straight- so I tacked on that bit to His title, to distinguish).

I think you might do well to change it more- to distort the religion into something clearly fictional, rather than something that's like Christianity- only with a girl in charge. That's my opinion of the matter, at least.

Moving on...

When Juliana read from the "Aeda", 'Her' and 'She' were capitalized, as they are when referring to God and 'His'/'He'...but you don't capitalize 'Her' and 'She' every other place you refer to the goddess. I don't know which is proper...but you should be consistant.

And I may be forced
~ You started this sentence with 'And'.

~~~~~~~~~

This is a good chapter (I seem to be saying that a lot :-) ).

It's a good 'recovery' chapter, after all the drama in the previous one...well...I suppose they're both the same chapter, technically...so...it's a good second part. :)

My brain seems to be malfunctioning once again...so...I suppose my review will stop here...

Keep writing!

~Shadow





“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly