z

Young Writers Society



The Roads of Marceris Ch.6 (part 1)

by DudeMcGuy


­­ {Qucik note: So It's been a long time since I last continued this story. Quick recap for context *spoilers for Ch.5* -- During the last chapter Lucian and Juliana talked until sunrise, with Lucian revealing his past. His family was killed when he was very young, except for his brother and mother. After his mother dies years later he murders his abusive landlord (Kelles). He shows some remorse and guilt over his actions, and Juliana comforts him while promising (a second time) to keep what he told her a secret. Lucian wishes to join the military so he can earn traveling rights and search for his brother (Baldren). Okay... }

Chapter 6 – Belief

“Hey! Juliana…. Hey, wake up!” Radi said as he shook his sister gently. “Are you hungry?”

Juliana awoke to see her brother hovering over her on his hands and knees. The view of his face was closer than she cared for, and she pushed him away to look around and gain her bearings. We stopped? How long have I been sleeping? Her brief inspection of the wagon revealed herself and Radi as the only occupants. Where is everyone?

Radi laughed. “I offer you food and you push me? You’ll never meet a man acting like that!”

“And you won’t do any better by stalking girls in their sleep,” she muttered.

“Hmm? What was that?”

“Nothing. Where are Lucian and Grandpa?”

“They’re outside preparing our meal.”

“M-Meal?” she asked in disbelief. I slept the entire morning?

Radi stood and leapt out onto the dirt road. “Yeah, the old man insisted we stop and eat. Now are you hungry? Or were you planning on sleeping all day?”

“Just give me a moment please Radi.”

“Alright, but there isn’t much of the fawn left over from last night. And there won’t be any left at all if you dawdle!” He dashed off as he spoke, leaving her alone.

Juliana groaned as she stretched her back and lifted herself from the stiff wooden floor. Her arms shook as she extended them over her head and reached towards the canvas ceiling. She leaned forward and found a damp cloth resting on the hairbrush and mirror by her feet. “Thanks Grandpa,” she chuckled. After a few moments of washing her face and checking her appearance she felt ready to join the group. Juliana crawled to the back of the wagon and shielded her eyes from the afternoon sun.

She squinted into the distance at the foreign landscape as a gentle breeze passed by. The surrounding meadow was completely open; without any trees, bushes, or even stones. There was nothing but ankle-high grass and small rolling hills in every direction. This must be the lowland Grandpa mentioned before. It really is just an empty field as far as the eye can see. The narrow dirt road was the only familiar landmark from the woods.

Juliana leaned over the edge of the coach and looked for Radi in the direction he ran off. She saw him in the field to her far left, along with Lucian and her grandfather. The three men appeared to be laughing together as they hung a large cooking pot over a smoking fire pit. They must have put last night behind them, she thought. Thank goodness.

She lowered the rear edge of the wagon and breathed in the warm air as she lowered herself onto the dirt. I should join them before Radi eats my portion. The sound of their laughter grew louder as she jogged towards them; and the smiles on their faces became clear when she drew near. Lucian in particular seemed strangely energetic in light of discussing his past with her the night before. He’s…happy?

The group became oddly quiet when she approached and took her place in the circle. “What’s so funny?” she asked as she sat with them.

Dyne set his knife and carrot on the open lid resting on the ground. He kneeled and performed an exaggerated bow and prayer motion as he turned to her. “Behold! The sleeping goddess has awakened!” he said in a playful tone.

Radi fell onto his back and burst into laughter while Lucian smiled and covered his mouth.

“You shouldn’t joke about things like that,” Juliana said.

Dyne chuckled and looked at her as he raised his head. “I’m sorry Julie, I couldn’t help myself. Don’t be angry. I didn’t mean anything by it.” He began to slice the carrot into the soup.

Radi sat up and imitated the prayer gesture as he continued to laugh. The others stared at him as he slapped his knee and struggled to control himself. He finally stopped after he opened his eyes and saw them shaking their heads.

Juliana did not mind a harmless joke made at her expense, but the use of the word ‘Goddess’ and her brother’s immature overreaction annoyed her. She rolled her eyes at Radi. “I’m not angry Grandpa. What were you all laughing at before I came?”

Radi interjected before Dyne could answer. “The old man was just finishing the story from last night!” he yelled. “When he lived in Melliark he frequently visited the local pubs. And one day he met a beautiful girl there and he--”

“Alright!” Dyne interrupted, pointing his knife at his grandson.. “That’s enough of that Radi.” He began to cut the leftover meat.

Radi smiled and ignored him. “He walked right up to her and--”

“I said that’s enough Child!” Dyne shouted. “Do you even know the meaning of the word secret?”

Radi looked at Dyne briefly before turning back to Juliana. He shrugged as his smile disappeared. “Sorry, I forgot he made Lucian and I promise to keep it a secret. He said it’s between men.”

Dyne shook his head as he dropped the meat into the pot and began to stir the contents.

Juliana handed her bowl to Dyne. “That’s fine Radi. It sounds like I wouldn’t find it very funny anyway.”

“Hmm… Yeah,” he chuckled, “now that I think about it you’re probably right!”

Juliana sighed and received her soup. He’s so juvenile! When will you ever grow up Radi? She swallowed a piece of the meat whole and drank some water to avoid the taste. But I suppose it's better to have him act like a fool than listen to him quarrel with Grandpa all day.

She looked at Lucian as he passed his empty bowl to her grandfather. He was laughing with them before I sat down, but he hasn’t said anything since. Maybe he's too nervous to speak up again after last night.

The group was quiet as they ate together in the field. Dyne attempted several times to start a conversation, but he was interrupted again and again by Radi's cynical remarks and insults.

-------------------------------------------------

Juliana sipped the last of her soup and ignored them while pretending not to notice Lucian’s occasional glances in her direction. Something isn’t right, she thought. He wasn’t even this quiet yesterday. She was the last to set down her bowl and finish her water.

“Finished Julie?” Dyne asked.

“Yes Grandpa.”

“Good. You three can clean up while I’m gone then.” He hunched as he stood and placed his hand over his lower back.

Gone? Where are you going?” Radi asked.

“Fishing of course!” He pointed towards the road in the direction they came. “You didn’t see the stream we passed just before we stopped?”

“I saw it old man, but why go fishing now?”

“There’s nothing but open field between us and Melliark Radi. And we won’t arrive until tomorrow morning. So if you want something other than bread tonight I’ll need to go catch something now.”

Juliana put out the fire and began to collect their dishes. “You’re always thinking ahead Grandpa.” Where would we be without you?”

“We would be better off,” Radi muttered.

Juliana stood and placed the bowls inside the pot. “I’ll take these back and bring your rod Grandpa.” She gathered the rest of the cooking supplies and made for the wagon.

Lucian sprang to his feet. “Um, let me help you!”He jogged after her and took a majority of the load.

The two of them soon reached the wagon and stored everything in its usual place. Juliana retrieved Dyne’s fishing lures and rod. “Thank you,” she said. “Let’s head back.”

“Um, wait,” Lucian said. “I uh…”

“What is it Lucian?”

He stepped closer to her while staring at the ground. “I… I just wanted to say I’m sorry for last night.”

“You’re sorry?” she asked.

“Yes, it wasn’t fair for me to tell you all of those things. Please forgive me.”

“Oh, no Lucian, it was good for you to tell me. You can’t keep everything to yourself remember? Don’t apologize for that.”

He looked up at her. “But, but the look you gave me when I told you what I did… You were afraid of me... Weren’t you?”

“Um, afraid? Well I…” What should I say? she wondered.

“Please just tell me Juliana… I frighten you now, don’t I?”

“Well, what you did to that man was very… unsettling… But I’m not afraid because I know you didn’t mean to do it.

“How can you know something like that?” he asked.

“Because… I be--”

“Julie!” Dyne shouted. “What’s the delay? Is everything alright?”

Juliana turned to see Radi and Dyne returning to the wagon. “Everything's fine!” she yelled. “I'm coming!” She ran out to them and presented Dyne with his lures and rod. Lucian followed her slowly and joined them as well.

“Alright,” Dyne said. “Give me a few hours and feed the horses while I’m gone. I’ll be downstream if you need me.” He held his rod over his shoulder and set off to the west, ascending a small hill behind them.

“Goodbye Grandpa!” Juliana said. “Good luck!”

Radi waited until Dyne was out of sight before stepping between Juliana and Lucian. “Let’s go Lucian, now’s our chance.” He tapped Lucian’s arm with a closed fist as he smiled.

“Chance for what?” Juliana asked.

“Lucian promised he would show me his sword skills today!” He ran back to the wagon and entered from the front as Juliana and Lucian followed behind him.

Lucian raised his eyebrow and spoke with reluctance. “Wait Radi, when did I say that?”

“This morning! Don’t you remember? It’s the first thing I asked when you woke up!”

“No, you said you wanted to spar with me.” He held his hand over his eyes and squinted into the wagon at Radi. “You didn’t say anything about crossing swords.”

Radi shook his head. “Sparring, crossing swords, what’s the difference?”

“Perhaps he wanted to use his spear instead,” Juliana said. She came alongside Lucian and smiled at him.

Radi glared at her. “I was asking him Juliana, not you. You really think I would ask a woman anything about combat training?” He began to laugh at her. “Stick to your books Juliana! If I need help writing a fairy tale you’ll be the first person I ask!”

Father would never say something like that Radi! She decided not to retort despite his mocking laughter. I’ll only anger him…

“No Radi,” Lucian said. “She’s right. I was hoping to use my spear. I haven’t sparred against anyone with it in a long time.”

Radi held a sheathed short sword in each hand as he jumped down from the wagon. “I see. Well I’ve actually never fought anyone who used a spear before. I would like to try that sometime, but I don’t think we should today.”

Lucian received a blade from Radi. “Why not?”

“Because we need to prepare ourselves for the combat placement test; and we should practice sword combat since it’s the only weapon allowed.”

Juliana entered the wagon to retrieve her books, paper, and writing quill. “Well Radi, at least you have some common sense. What a pleasant surprise.”

“Ahem! This is between Lucian and I Juliana. If I want your opinion I’ll ask for it. Learn to be quiet on matters that don’t concern you!” He unsheathed his blade and turned back to Lucian. “Anyway, there’s really no reason to train with a weapon you’ll never use again.”

Lucian dropped his sword on the ground.

“Hey!” Radi shouted. “Be careful with that!”

“W-What do you mean Radi? I can’t use a spear in the military?”

“Of course not. Only mounted forces and elite class soldiers use spears. New recruits like us use swords, shields, and bows only. That’s all we need anyway. Didn’t you read the draft notice?”

“Radi,” Juliana said. “Lucian can’t r--” She stopped herself and covered her mouth. My tongue almost slipped again! “Uh, I mean he’s enlisting voluntarily. He doesn’t have a draft notice.” She carefully stepped down from the wagon and stared at her brother.

“I forgot about that,” he said. “Then it’s good that I told you now right Lucian? ...Lucian?”

Lucian retrieved the sword from the ground and unsheathed it. He gripped the hilt tightly with both hands and stared at the blade as he turned it side to side.

“What’s wrong?” Radi chuckled. “Never seen a sword before?”

“No, I’ve seen them. I’ve just…never held one.

What? He, he’s never even held one?

“Wait!” Radi shouted. “You’re joining the military, but you’ve never wielded a sword?” He laughed once again. “Good luck!”

Juliana walked to Lucian’s side. “Is that true? You really haven’t used a sword before?”

“I…I thought I could use my spear.”

Radi retrieved Lucian’s spear from the front seat of the wagon. He held the weapon and shook his head as he examined it. “This thing is made of wood! Even if they made an exception and let you use it, it wouldn’t last two days out on the battlefield.” He handed the spear to Lucian. “You’ll need to hire a swordsman in Melliark to train you. I hope you have some extra silver saved for that. Otherwise you won't make the cut.”

Lucian’s eyes gazed at the ground. “I won’t be able to enlist? But, I have to. I must.”

Juliana sensed Lucian’s disappointment as his voice trailed off. He can’t afford any training like that, but he needs to join the military so he can search for Baldren someday… She recognized his demeanor becoming reminiscent of his depression from the night before. What can I do? We don’t have much money either… “Wait, I know!” she shouted.

The young men exchanged curious looks before turning to her.

“Radi, you could train Lucian to use a sword.”

“I-I’ve never trained anyone before!” he said. “I wouldn’t even know where to start!”

“You could teach him something!” she pleaded. This is the only way. I have to convince him to help Lucian. But why does it have to be him of all people?

“Out of the question,” Radi said as he turned towards the field. “I’ll be practicing on my own for a while. Good luck Lucian.” He walked away from them and into the meadow.

Lucian sheathed the sword and handed it to Juliana. He appeared dejected by Radi’s words, and he covered his face with his hands while allowing his spear to fall to the ground.

Juliana placed her hand on his shoulder. “Don’t worry Lucian, you can still--”

Lucian jerked his arm away from her and crouched to pick up the spear. He stood quickly and let out a frustrated yell as he bent the wood before snapping it over his knee. He threw the fragments into the grass across the road and stormed off in the opposite direction.

“Wait Lucian! Don’t go!”

But Lucian ignored her and quickened his pace.

He needs my help! But there’s nothing I can do. Radi won’t even set aside his pride for just… Wait, yes that’s it!

“Radi!” she yelled. “I thought you were better with a sword than Father.” Radi and Lucian both stopped immediately and turned around slowly.

“I’m the best swordsman in our family,” Radi said. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Well, Father trained you. So if you’re better than he is…then training Lucian should be simple for you.”

A moment of silence passed before Radi answered. “That’s not the way it works Juliana! Stick to your books!”

Back to your insults again Radi? Sounds like I struck a nerve! “It’s fine if you’re afraid,” she said.

“Afraid?” he snapped back. You think I’m afraid? I’m not afraid of anything! I’m the best swordsman our family has ever had!”

Juliana laughed to herself knowing she had already won. Oh Radi. What a fragile pride you have! You can’t even ignore your little sister challenging your ability! “How can you call yourself the best when Father can train someone and you can’t?” she said mockingly.

Radi’s face turned red as he sheathed his sword and returned to her. He held his finger near her face and grit his teeth. “How dare you! Mother taught you better than this. You should know to never question me!”

She smiled at him and crossed her arms. “Don’t give me a reason to then.”

He took a deep breath as he stared at her with wide eyes. “Fine! Is that what you want? I’ll show you. Lucian! Get over here!”

How predictable! You’re so easily swayed Radi. But that’s enough taunting, I should calm him for Lucian’s sake. “Please go easy on him Radi. Remember, he’s never used a sword before.”

“Then he'll need to learn quickly like I did! Look at him! He obviously didn’t get that strong without some sort of combat training. Oh sorry! I forgot who I was talking to.” He turned away and left for the meadow once again.

Lucian returned to the wagon. “Juliana; you shouldn’t have baited him like that just for me.”

Juliana smiled and held the sword out to him. “It was worth it. Here, go with him.”

“Um, thank you.”

Juliana noticed Lucian’s arm shaking as he reached out and received the blade from her. She put her hands on his shoulders and looked up into his eyes. “Don’t worry Lucian, you can do this. And I’m not afraid… because I believe in you.”

“Y-You believe…”

“Get over here Lucian!” Radi shouted. “We don’t have much time!”

Lucian flashed a quick smile back at her. “Thank you Juliana.” He turned and ran into the field.

“I did it,” Juliana whispered. She gathered her study materials and walked towards the same hill where Dyne set off. Looking back and watching Lucian run after Radi gave her an unfamiliar sense of accomplishment. Although she realized Radi would be the one training him, she knew that even her simple actions would eventually help Lucian find his brother. Her joy did not arise from manipulating her brother or from her own pride, but from empowering Lucian to create a better future for himself. You’ll meet Baldren again someday Lucian. I know you will.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:04 am
View Likes
Twit wrote a review...



Hi Dude! Muchos apologies for lateness. Uni’s a pig. >_<


“Hey! Juliana…. Hey, wake up!” Radi said as he shook his sister gently. “Are you hungry?”

The bolded bit feels too long. I’d nix the tag and just have “Radi gently shook his sister awake” or something.


Juliana awoke to see her brother hovering over her on his hands and knees.

This sounds like he’s actually in the air, but on all fours. “Hovering over” implies he’s above her, but “on hands and knees” sounds like he’s next to her.


“Alright, but there isn’t much of the fawn left over from last night. And there won’t be any left at all if you dawdle!” He dashed off as he spoke, leaving her alone.

Clunky. Try nixing “as he spoke”.


She squinted into the distance at the foreign landscape as a gentle breeze passed by.

“Passed by” is a bit passive, because if there’s a breeze it does stuff, it doesn’t go by without affecting you. Maybe say “as a gentle breeze rustled her hair” or something.


The surrounding meadow was completely open; without any trees, bushes, or even stones.

Don’t need that semi-colon.


Juliana leaned over the edge of the coach and looked for Radi in the direction he ran off.

Bolded bit is awkward, and you could just nix it.


She lowered the rear edge of the wagon and breathed in the warm air as she lowered herself onto the dirt.

Repetition.


The group became oddly quiet when she approached and took her place in the circle.

This makes them sound suspicious. If that’s the intent, then cool; if not, then nix the “oddly”.


“What’s so funny?” she asked as she sat with them

You’ve already said she’s joined them, so you don’t need to repeat it.
.

“Behold! The sleeping goddess has awakened!” he said in a playful tone.

Bit too tell-y. You’ve shown that he’s joking, so you could just leave it at that.


Radi sat up and imitated the prayer gesture as he continued to laugh. The others stared at him as he slapped his knee and struggled to control himself. He finally stopped after he opened his eyes and saw them shaking their heads.

This feels a bit laboured. I’d rewrite so it’s shorter and smoother. After all, he’s only laughing; you don’t need three sentences on it.


Radi interjected before Dyne could answer. “The old man was just finishing the story from last night!” he yelled. “When he lived in Melliark he frequently visited the local pubs. And one day he met a beautiful girl there and he--”

Again with the yelling. It seriously makes him seem like a seven-year old. You could take that tag out anyway, since you’ve already said he’s interrupting Dyne.


He appeared dejected by Radi’s words, and he covered his face with his hands while allowing his spear to fall to the ground.

This is too busy. “Appeared dejected” is rather passive—you could make it more compact and emotional by showing us. Like, “Radi’s words seemed to have hit Lucian like a blow. The spear fell to the ground and he covered his face with his hands”.


He stood quickly and let out a frustrated yell as he bent the wood before snapping it over his knee.

Again, too busy. Standing, yelling, snapping all happening at once. Break it up.

---
Hey!

It’s nice to get another instalment of this, although I’d forgotten how much I want to punch Radi, lol. Prose-wise, there were a few busy sentences where it would be better to split them up. It’s cool if important things have their own sentence so they stand out. Like the bit when Lucian breaks the spear—it’s not as dramatic as it could be because everything is jumbled together.

I don’t know if it’s the books I’ve been reading, but lately I’ve become very conscious of the importance of the inside of a character’s head. I’ve been trying to do it in my own writing because something that a lot of people have pointed out is that I often have a lot of dialogue, but not a lot of character thinking/introspection/showing. Looking back over my stuff I can see what they mean, and I’m getting that feeling here too. There’s a lot of dialogue (not that there’s anything wrong with that, of course; dialogue is awesome) but not a lot of Juliana. You give us her thoughts, but, I don’t know, it feels a wee bit flat. Like, you do give us her thoughts, but apart from that, you don’t give her much more attention than any of the other characters. There’s not a real sense of seeing things through her eyes, and I think I’ve probably moaned on about this before. What I found helpful was really slowing the pace down. It may sound like it’ll drag the story back, but it shouldn’t, it should just give you more opportunities to explore Juliana’s mind palace.

I hope this made sense, but PM or Wall me if I was unclear on anything!

-twit




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:10 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! Noelle here to review as requested.

I'll start out by saying that this chapter interested me very much. Even though I haven't read the previous chapters, I feel a connection with the characters. You did a good job with character development throughout this chapter. It's important that you keep this up during the duration of a novel because the reader learns so much about your characters as they read on farther. Character development isn't just limited to the first few chapters.

As I was reading through this, I noticed there was one place where you constantly forgot to put a comma. Whenever you are using dialogue and someone addresses another character you have to put a comma before their name. For example,

“Just give me a moment please Radi.”

Without the comma here, everything runs together. Theoretically the reader links the words 'please' and 'Radi'. Make sense? It's like that popular example used for this: "Let's eat Grandpa!" and "Let's eat, Grandpa!" So make sure you put a comma before your character's names in that situation so we don't end up eating Grandpa! ^_^

As for spelling and grammar you're fine. I didn't see any mistakes while I was reading through.

Like I said before, your character development is great. I especially like how Juliana knows how to make her brother tick and can make him do what she wants him to. I'm sure it's come in handy already and I feel like it might come in handy later on as well.

Overall this is a good chapter. I can't say how it compares to other because, well you know I haven't read the other chapters. But it was straightforward and not confusing. I could understand it despite not reading the other chapters.

I'll take a look at the next chapter now.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:54 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Dude!

I am ridiculously excited about reading this chapter of your book. The suspense has been killing me- so without further dawdling, I will move straight into your review.

“And you won’t do any better by stalking girls in their sleep,” she muttered.
~ For some reason I find this really amusing. I can't think of anything intelligent to say about it, but I really like it, so I thought I'd mention it.

“Alright, but there isn’t much of the fawn left over from last night. And there won’t be any left at all if you dawdle!”
~ I find my breaking this rule far more often than I should, but I've read in one of my many writing books that you're not supposed to start a sentence with 'And'.

The only justification I could think of was that 'and' is a linking word, so it needs something to link- but I didn't receive an explanation. You know as well as I do that I am awful when it comes to punctuation, so I won't even attempt to give an example of how to join the sentences...but there it is.

~~~There are no errors in this next bit, and I have no idea if you care, but I've had people tell me what they're feeling/ thinking when they read the piece, so I'm attempting to do that in this bit of my review- and I'm incredibly suspicious that the boys are getting along...~~~~

“Alright!” Dyne interrupted, pointing his knife at his grandson.. “That’s enough of that Radi.”
~ xD I love this. I also really like how Dyne told the boys, but is keeping Juliana sheltered.

The group was quiet as they ate together in the field. Dyne attempted several times to start a conversation, but he was interrupted again and again by Radi's cynical remarks and insults.
~ I think that this is rather sudden. Radi's actually not being a jerk, which shocks me, but he goes from being in a really good, half-giggly mood to being a jerk again? Perhaps show him slipping a bit more...

“You’re always thinking ahead Grandpa. Where would we be without you?”
~ An extra quotation mark.

“Well, what you did to that man was very… unsettling… But I’m not afraid because I know you didn’t mean to do it.
~ *gasps* I found where it goes! It's not an extra.

Radi glared at her. “I was asking him Juliana, not you. You really think I would ask a woman anything about combat training?” He began to laugh at her. “Stick to your books Juliana! If I need help writing a fairy tale you’ll be the first person I ask!"
~ O.o It still amazes how you're able to capture my brother in Radi.

Father would never say something like that Radi!
~ I'm not sure exactly how the best way to edit this would be, but elminate the 'Radi'. If she's thinking, not referring to/talking to people, then she doesn't have to designate their name. So 'Father would never say something like that' would be a grumbling phrase that let us know that Juliana thought her Father a superior warrior/ is smarter/ or however the reader wanted to take it, just that Juliana thought of her brother in a better light than Radi.

“No, I’ve seen them. I’ve just…never held one.
~ You're missing an end quotation mark here.

Lucian’s eyes gazed at the ground.
~ "Gazed" sort of implies, in my mind at least, an act that happens with your eyes. So maybe either "Lucian gazed at the ground" or "Lucian turned his eyes towards the ground" or something else.

Alright, I break to make some general comments now:

Firstly, I think you over use exclaimation points. Radi's comments are particularly bad about it. I understand that he's being obnoxious, and is probably shouting/ being loud, but perhaps show it more in description. Example: Rather than "A moment of silence passed before Radi answered. “That’s not the way it works Juliana! Stick to your books!”" Try "A moment of silence passed before Radi pulled his lips back in a sneer. "That's not the way it works Juliana, god you're stupid. Just stick to your books."

This adds malice, while eliminating exclaimation points. I tend to reserve the exclaimation points for moments of surprise/delight/other extremely strong emotions. They tend to lose thier power if they're used too frequently.

Secondly, I think you moved along a bit too quickly between Grandfather leaving and Juliana outsmarting the boys (a bit I really liked, BTW). Lucian went from being timid, to being crushed, to being angry in a few paragraphs- and Radi went from being excited, to being mocking, to being indifferent whether or not Lucian made it.

Maybe slow it down, add more tensions/description. I'm not really sure how you can do that, but...it should be done.

“How dare you! Mother taught you better than this. You should know to never question me!”
~ Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Where did this come from? I don't remember anything in your flash backs suggesting that Juliana was taught that Radi was the boss.

I've got a brother who thinks he can boss me around, so I get a "How dare you! You should know better than to question me." But not him saying that thier Mother agrees to this- unless you're going to make a point about him being a liar later on, or some other, unforeseeable twist. :)

How predictable! You’re so easily swayed Radi. But that’s enough taunting, I should calm him for Lucian’s sake.
~ This does not feel like the thoughts of a teenage girl, which, I know, have got to be really hard for you to write. Maybe "You're so easily swayed Radi- I can't believe you actually think that I'm a fool...no, I can't taunt him. I need him to be calm, for Lucian's sake."

That's not a good edit, granted, and I don't recomend taking that word-for-word. But the 'how predictable' and 'that's enough taunting' made it feel more like a comment or a side note, than the thoughts of a smug teenager.

Oh sorry! I forgot who I was talking to.”
~ This doesn't seem very mean. 'sorry, I forgot who I was talking to', almost makes it sound like he's apologizing for starting to get carried away with his statement- when I think you meant it more malicious, like an 'I forgot who I was talking to- it's not like you would understand.

~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so I hope that wasn't too harsh. I did really like your story, and I'm excited to read your next chapters.

I'm really sorry, this is all of an overview I can give, my parents are on me to go to bed. I'll try to finish your reviews tomorrow.

~Shady





Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe