Chapter Three-Part Two

by Shady

PART TWO

The day was as clear as the last had been, and David and I were eager to find my mystery girl. When we were just out of sight of our house, we raced down the plain, until we got to the foot of the mountain; there we slowed our horses, and climbed higher and higher, until we got to the place I had been the previous afternoon.

We wandered all about the area, searching behind the trees and boulders, peering up into the dark foliage, calling to her; we looked for hours, but couldn’t find her. After a while David peered up into the sky, at the sun directly over our heads. “I’ve got t’ go, Timmy. I’ve got t’ get t’ th’ palace by two.”

I sighed. “Alright, thanks for helping.”

He nodded. “No problem...we can look again t’morrow.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

David mounted his horse, and then looked at me expectantly. I hadn’t moved. “Are ya comin’?”

“Nah, I think I’m going to stay here for a bit.”

David shrugged. “Alright, suit yourself...but you’d best get home by dark. Mam will’na be as forgivin’ t’night.”

“I know.”

I watched David ride down the path, and then I sat down on the bank. I pressed my back against the bark of a large tree, and watched a yellowish leaf float down stream lazily, allowing the cool water to take it where it would.

“Was that your brother?”

I jumped, startled, and looked around; the girl was crouched on a boulder across the river from me.

“How-what-when did you get here?”

“I asked you first...Oh, come now. That’s a question that should be easy to answer.”

I stood up. “Yeah, he’s my brother.”

“He doesn’t talk like you, nor look it.”

“He’s adopted.”

“Oh...” She leapt down from her perch. “Where’s he from?”

“Shirr.”

“He seems nice.”

“He is.”

“How long has he been your brother?”

I shrugged. “It’s not really official, even now...he came to Sector Twelve when I was ten, but I didn’t really consider him my brother for a while.”

“So he’s been with you a while...seven years? Eight?”

“Nine.” I said resentfully. “I’m not seventeen.”

“There’s nothing wrong with being seventeen.”

“There’s nothing right about it.”

“Says who? I like being seventeen.”

“You’re only seventeen?” I asked incredulously.

“Yes.” She replied simply. “Why?”

“You don’t seem that young.”

“Are you saying I look old?”

“Yes. No!”

She raised her eyebrows at me.

“You tricked me. You don’t look old. You just act...mature.”

“I am mature,” she said, as she hopped across the river, balancing on rocks that broke the surface. “Maturity

comes with experience, not age.”

“I suppose...” I agreed slowly.

There was a silence as the girl evaluated me. Her eyes took in my fitted cotton shirt, my clean trousers, and fairly new boots, and she snorted. “You sure wear nice clothing to go tromping through the woods.”

“I wanted to look nice.”

“For what?”

“In case I saw you again.”

“What made you think you’d see me? I never told you that you were allowed.”

“I was really hoping you’d change your mind.”

She smiled. “Good answer.”

“Was it?”

“No.”

I recoiled slightly, and she laughed. “If you ask a stupid question, you’ll be met with a stupid answer.”

“Touché.”

She spoke a sentence in perfect Ecnarian, leaving me staring at her stupidly. She giggled. “Don’t switch languages, unless you’re fluent in both.”

“How did you learn Ecnarian?”

“What makes you think I’m not Ecnarian by birth?”

“You don’t have an Ecnarian accent.”

“How about now?” she asked, imitating an Ecnarian accent perfectly.

“So you can imitate one well. That doesn’t prove you’re from Ecnar.”

“No, but it proves I could be.”

“How?”

“Well, you don’t know. I obviously speak it well, and can have an Ecnarian accent when I choose; so it might be

natural. You can never tell about those things, until you know somebody well. Who knows? I might be imitating a Lytiasian accent, with Ecnarian being my natural. I’m clearly very good at both, aren’t it? Maybe the question you should be asking is how I learned Lytiasian.”

“Well how did you learn Lytiasian?”

“Oh, I’ve spoke it since birth.”

I growled in irritation. “But you just said that you had to learn Lytiasian.”

“No, I said that you shouldn’t assume that I’m not from Ecnar. I never said that I wasn’t from Lytias.”

“So you are from Lytias?”

“No. I’m from Neko.”

“But you just said that you’ve spoken Lytiasian since you were born.”

“Lytiasians and Nekoians speak the same language, as you should know.”

There was another silence, as I tried to think of something smart to say. I didn’t succeed. “So, can you do any other accents?”

“Yes.”

“Which ones?”

“All of them.”

My eyes grew wide. “You can imitate all the different accents?”

“Yes...I’m not very good at the Sevalsian accent, though.”

“Well that doesn’t really count as a real country, anyway.”

“Why not?” She seemed offended.

“Well...they’re the servile breed.”

“They’re not a ‘breed’,” she snarled. “They’re people, just like you and I. It’s not their fault that they have an inferior military; they don’t really have a chance. People come in and kidnap their children before they have a chance to train a new generation of soldiers. You think they like being exploited? That they like being ‘servile’?”

I swallowed hard, trying to figure out a way to defuse the disaster I had caused. “I-I guess not.”

“Yeah, I guess not either.” She agreed sarcastically.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know you liked the Sevalsians.”

“I like anybody who doesn’t try to take advantage of other people.”

“...Do people take advantage of you?”

“They used to.”

“And now?”

“Now I’m left to do as I please.”

“You answer only to yourself,” I stated, remembering what she had told me the previous day.

“That’s right.”

“Well do you want to go for a ride with me?”

“I thought I discouraged that yesterday,” she taunted playfully.

“Well how about we ride slow?”

“Where do you want to go?”

“It doesn’t matter.”

“Then why should we go?”

“Why not?”

She grinned, “You’re learning.”

“I’ve got a good teacher.” I replied, beaming at her compliment.

“Who?”

“A girl of many secrets,” I replied, brushing a strand of her hair behind her ear.

“...Alright...we can ride.”

We mounted and lazily rode down the path, to the plain. We chatted about everything- my family, our horses, nature in general. We watched as the sun began to sink behind the far hills, when she turned to me, smiling. “You’d better get home, Timothy, son of John- it’s getting late.”

“Can I walk you home?”

“No.”

“It’s getting dark.”

“I see that, but I’m not afraid of the dark.”

“I am...will you walk me home?”

She giggled. “Nice try.”

I sighed contentedly, not expecting her to agree. “Will I ever see you again?”

“Do you want to?”

“Yes.”

“Then you might.”

“Will I if I ask nicely?”

“Maybe.”

“Can I see you again?”

“Yes.”

“Really?”

“Mmhmm...Meet me over there by the pond, under the oak tree, tomorrow after you finish your chores,” she said, gesturing towards our west. “Good night.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Did she meet you there the next day?” I asked eagerly.

“Aye, and the next day, and the day after that; we met under that oak tree every day for the rest of the summer

and well into the fall.”

“Was that fall when you asked her to marry you?”

“Well I asked her, but she refused.”

My eyes grew wide. “She refused? Why?”

“Because she said I had more things to learn before I was ready to be a husband and father.”

“That’s awful Father!”

“No, she was right. I wasn’t ready for it then-but she taught me. She taught me what it meant to be an adult- self-respect, dignity, honesty, responsibility; I even learned how to read fluently, to please her.”

“But when you asked her, the first time, she said that you were too irresponsible?”

“Pretty much...I had approached it the wrong way.”

“What did you do?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a cool autumn afternoon, and I had gotten to our meeting place early. I was more nervous than I had ever been, my breathing was a bit too fast, my palms were sweaty, and I was pacing back and forth, waiting for her to get there. I didn’t have to wait long before I saw her galloping across the plain, her crimson hair billowing out behind her, her face filled with joy- I’d never seen anything more beautiful than that. I swear she got lovelier every time I saw her.

She leapt off of her horse, taking his bridle off and letting him graze. “Hey Tim!”

“Hello Susan.”

She peered up into my face worriedly. “Are you okay? You seem rather scared.”

“I’m fine. I- um...Gosh you’re pretty.”

She smiled. “Thanks.”

I nodded, awkwardly, a bit too quickly. She sobered and looked at me carefully. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine.” I repeated. “I’m just- I was- I mean to say-“

“Calm down Tim. Take a deep breath. What is it?” She asked worriedly as she stroked my arm comfortingly.

“Will you marry me?” I blurted out.

Her eyes grew wide and she backed up a step. “What?”

“Will you...be my wife?

“You don’t know what you’re asking for,” she said softly.

“Yes I do.”

“You’ll be the man of the family. You won’t have Papa to blame for your mistakes anymore.”

“I know, and I’m okay with that.”

“You won’t have your Papa’s money anymore...He might give us a bit, I don’t know, but...” she sighed.

“He won’t. He...doesn’t approve of our marriage...he said that I will be on my own, if I marry you.”

“Don’t do that to yourself.”

“I’ll make my own. I’ll make you just as rich as him, I promise.”

“I don’t care about money.”

“You won’t have to worry about anything ever again. I’ll buy all of your meals, and I’ll buy you nice clothing, and

you’ll have all the books you can read-“

“You’re not listening to me. I don’t care about money.”

“I know, but I’ll get it anyway, so you can have everything you want.”

“I had everything I wanted,” she shouted. “I was richer than you are! I left because I wanted a real life. I wanted

a man who would love me, not a boy who could buy me things.”

I hesitated; shocked that she had once been rich. “But I do love you.”

“Prove it.”

“Prove it?” I repeated incredulously.

“Yes. Prove your love to me, and then I’ll marry you.”

“How can I do that?”

She whistled, calling her horse over to us. “Here’s a hint: prove that you don’t love your money.”

“I don’t love my money.”

She picked up a fold of my shirt. “You’re always wearing fine clothes, and bringing fine food...it sure seems like

you love money.”

“But I don’t.”

She mounted her horse. “Then prove it.”

I bewilderedly watched her gallop down the plain, and disappear into the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“How did you prove that you didn’t love money?” I asked.

“It was hard.” Father admitted. “I realized that I did love my money. I loved being able to get whatever I wanted,

whenever I wanted-and I loved the respect and popularity that came with it. For the few weeks after that, Susan-your Mama- wouldn’t talk to me, and neither would my Papa. He was mad that I wanted to marry a poor girl, and told me he’d disinherit me if I did...I was scared.”

“What did you do?”

“For the first few weeks I didn’t do anything. Then, one day, I realized how Susan wanted me to prove my love. She wanted me to give up my money, to prove that I loved her more than I did it- which took me a while to decide whether I really did love her more.”

“But you did, didn’t you?”

“I did. Finally, long after I should’ve, I stated that I was going to marry Susan, no matter what; and my Papa kicked me out. I worked for Myrond’s father, in his bakery, for several months- saving every penny I earned, until I had enough to buy a few acres of land across town from where my Papa owned.”

“Here?”

“Aye, here,” he agreed.

“Did you build this house?”

“I did. Over the year I bought as much lumber each month as I could with my wages, and, in the afternoons when Myrond’s father didn’t need my help, I built this house. It took me a long time to buy enough materials to even build a single room; even longer to actually build it. By the time I was twenty-one, two years after I had met Susan, I only had a single-room cottage with a small fireplace, a cheap mattress-no bed frame- and a few, shameful pots.”

“Did Mama take you back, when you told her what you had?”

“Actually, your Mama and I had stopped talking. I periodically would return to our meeting spot, but she never came out to talk to me- though I’m sure she was watching me.”

“But you eventually found Mama?”

“No, she found me.”

“How did she find you?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a hot evening; all of my windows were open, in an attempt to make my house less stuffy- and to clear out the burnt smell of my dinner that evening. My ‘smoked’ trout had turned into charred trout, my baked potatoes into ash, and my grilled corn into a soot covered mess; the only thing that had turned out well was my bread. I had gotten use to eating mostly bread, as that was really the only thing that I could fix decently.

I was attempting to eat a bite of the trout, trying not to gag, when I heard a knock at my door. I walked over to it and yanked on it, barely making it open- several errors in measurement had landed me with a cock-eyed door that was too big for its frame. I was surprised to see who was standing on my doorstep.

“Susan!” I exclaimed. “Why-how are-what are you doing here?”

“I wanted to talk.”

“Oh...Please come in.”

I pulled the door open wider, and she walked into my small cottage. She looked around with her knowing eyes,

examining my poor craftsmanship and meager belongings, and then up at me.

“I’m sorry; I know it’s not very good. I’ve been trying-“

“It’s perfect.”

“What?” I asked incredulously.

“It’s perfect.” She repeated.

“You don’t have to tease.”

“I’m not teasing.”

“Well surely you can see how badly I’ve built this house.”

“It looks sound enough to me.”

“But it’s not attractive. I wanted an attractive house for my bride to make a home in.”

“I find it attractive...and you know why?”

I shook my head.

“Because it’s yours; it might not be pretty, but you worked hard to build this house, going without things yourself,

while you were building this house. That makes it perfect.”

I stared at her with wide eyes. “Really?”

She nodded. “I’m proud of you for depriving yourself to build this.”

“Oh, it wasn’t anything, really. I just lived with the baker while I built it.”

She raised her eyebrows and looked around again. “Where are your clothes?”

“I-erm-um- I-I don’t really- I mean- Papa wouldn’t let me take anything when I left, and I haven’t been able to afford any new ones.” I stammered, my face flushing red, embarrassed that she had noticed.

To my surprise she smiled. “Are you still working for the baker?”

I nodded. “I am, though I’ve started weaving in the evenings. I hope to switch careers, once I’m a successful weaver.”

“How are you buying your materials?”

“Well, I gather my own boughs- I guess that chore wasn’t so bad of a thing after all,” I laughed nervously. “And I’ve started carving most of my own tools, that way I don’t have to buy much, so I can save more.”

“And your parents?”

I took a deep breath. “Papa still won’t talk to me, and he rarely allows Mama to visit me, even though she’s forgiven me for moving out. David and Kenna come fairly often, though.”

“What do they think of your home?”

“Mama thinks I should’ve waited until Papa was ready for me to move out, so he would’ve bought me a nice house. David says that if he wasn’t learning Papa’s trade, he’d want to move in with me; and Kenna thinks I’m crazy for living in this ratty little place, when I could still be living in my comfortable room, not having to work.”

“What do you think?”

“I think I should’ve started working when I was younger, so I’d have a nice house for you to move in to, once I’m mature enough to lead a family.”

She started crying.

I nearly panicked, awkwardly taking her into my arms to comfort her, uncertain what I had done to make her cry. “I’ve said something wrong...I’m sorry Susan, I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“You didn’t.” She sniffed.

“Then what’s the matter.”

“I-I just...I think you’re ready. I’m so happy.”

“I’m ready for what?”

She pulled away from me. “To lead a family.”

My eyes grew wide. “Does that mean that you’ll...you’ll marry me?”

She nodded, “Yes.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“And then they got married, and Ol’ Timmy quit Pap...May I come in?” Myrond’s voice asked from outside our door.

I leapt to my feet and looked at Father. He nodded. I hurriedly un-did the latch, letting the door swing open.

Myrond nodded to me, “Good morning, Tasia.”

“Good morning, Mr. Myrond. May I get you something to drink?”

He smiled, “No thank you.”

“Have a seat, Myrond,” Father invited, offering him the chair adjacent his wheeled chair.

Myrond sat down and looked at the Bible in Papa’s hands. “Did I interrupt something?”

“Well, you should’ve, but Tasia got me off on a story about how I met Susan.”

“I heard the last bit of it.”

Father nodded. “But how can I help you today, sir?”

Myrond looked at me. “Hey Tasia, why don’t you go outside and play? Your Pap and I need to have an adult

conversation.”

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:56 pm
Stori says...

Nice work so far, Vyper. I just wanted to say one thing- you should write something about when Timothy learned Susan's name.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 am
DudeMcGuy wrote a review...

I'm back for more Shadow! Here we go!

The day was as clear as the last had been...

Oh no! "Had been" again right off the bat! Just kidding. Simply cut it out or restructure the sentence so you don't need it. {The sky was as clear as the day before...} <-- That would be my personal preference but it's your story. :)

there we slowed our horses, and climbed higher and higher, until we got to the place I had been the previous afternoon.

Yikes! Sorry to be the grammar police here, just trying to help. For starters, you don't need those commas if you cut "higher and higher". Change "got to" to "reached" or "arrived at" (which ever sounds better to you). And chop out that "had been" again.How about "reached the place where I met her the previous afternoon.

“How-what-when did you get here?”

Not sure about this. Maybe just, "W-When did you get here?" would be better, but that could just be my own style influencing what I want to see. Not sure.

“I am mature,” she said, as she hopped across the river, balancing on rocks that broke the surface. “Maturity comes with experience, not age.”

Bingo! I think I said the exact same thing in the previous review before I even read this. Seeing the story unfold this way is awesome. Wonderful writing Shadow!

“You sure wear nice clothing to go tromping through the woods.”

The above is fine how it is. But cutting the bold for "clothes for" might sound more natural. I think most people say "clothes" instead of "clothing". But maybe that's just me?

Reading on... The girl's roundabout way of talking to him and making him slightly angry is amusing. Sort of a mental "toying" so to speak. (With the accents and all.)

I swallowed hard, trying to figure out a way

I would replace with "thinking of", but it works either way.

After "replied" you need to pair up the detail about her hair with the next line. As it is now, you have his dialogue paired with her action. It doesn't really work in this case.

she said, gesturing towards our west.

There is only one "west". :) So just change to "the west" or "our left/right".

Also, are they riding the same horse? That's the impression I got since there was no mention of her horse this time and "walking home" and such. If so, I think you should mention who is riding where (front/back). I imagine the girl would ride behind Tim even if he was steering. It's just a little bit of detail you could add to flesh things out. (I bet Tasia would want to know too haha)
If I'm wrong you should mention her own horse somewhere before they start riding though.

Pretty much...I had approached it the wrong way.”

I consider "pretty much" to be sort of slang/lingo. He could just say "Yes". And then change the next bit to either "was approaching" or simply "approached". (No "had" here, even though it's dialogue. I know, I know! That goes against what I said before. Sorry, "had" is just a case by case thing for me I guess.)

and I had gotten to our meeting place early.

Another "had" haha. This one needs to go for sure. Use "arrived at" instead of those bold words above. And the very next sentence...

I was more nervous than I had ever been

O_o Nooo! Not again! (Just kidding). Try "ever remembered before", or something else. Just don't let that "had" survive lol. (Maybe even "I was so nervous.") Also, anytime there is a "had been" or "had" followed by "been" it means that they should both probably go.

and I’ll buy you nice clothing, and you’ll have all the books you can read-“

Change to "clothes" maybe? Up to you.

hmm, interesting. She thinks he's too spoiled. And likely because she was herself and knows how hard it is to break from that. A good test to see if he really loves her. Reading on...

By the time I was twenty-one, two years after I had met Susan, I only had a single-room cottage...

The middle part of his description is unnecessary/over-detailed. We already know from the flashback that he was 19 and she was 17. If if he's 21 we know that it's two years after he met her already.

I periodically would return to our meeting spot...

Just "returned" would flow better here.

I had gotten use to eating mostly bread...

Another "had"! Destroy it! Don't let it escape! Replace with "was accustomed" this time. :)

I was attempting to eat a bite of the trout,...

Rephrase as "I bit into the blackened trout,..."

If you have the word "was" followed by an "ing" verb or adjective, then just make that verb/adjective end with "ed" instead and cut the "was".
("I was attempting to eat..." sounds better as "I attempted to eat...") More direct and natural.

several errors in measurement had landed me with a cock-eyed door that was too big

That "had" can just be cut. Sentence sounds fine without it. Begone! lol.

“Because it’s yours; it might not be pretty, but you worked hard to build this house, going without things yourself, while you were building this house. That makes it perfect.”

I like this very much. Very cool. Tim is a self-made man now. For the most part anyway. A tough lesson to learn, but he did it because he loves her. Nice job.

I guess that chore wasn’t so bad of a thing after all

A little awkward. Try "wasn't so bad" or "wasn't such a bad thing".

Also, in the dialogue parts that follow. I noticed that Tim still calls his parents "Papa" and "Mama". I found that a bit odd now that he is 21. Also, you could have him call them "Father" and "Mother" as a not-so-subtle way to show he is no longer dependent on them (since he still called them "Papa" and "Mama" when he was 19). I think it should be changed to help the story and show how Tim has changed.

Not sure why, but that "but" feels like it should be a "so" instead. As the word "but" implies contradiction, and Myrond didn't really say anything to get that response naturally.

-------------------------------------------------------

OK Shadow, I'm sorry I was like super-grammar oriented up there. I was just trying to help smooth some things out for you. The actual story and plot is awesome! :) And very good transitioning into and out of the flashbacks. It was wonderful! 10 out of 10 from me. I think this is the best chapter you've done so far.

It's so refreshing to read a story like this. Where it's the MAN in the relationship who needs to become more independent and "grow up". Far too many stories (especially Fantasy!) are full of clingy women who are just married off to men and they are always dependent on them to the point of absolute weakness. That's just sad and depressing really (even if that's sometimes how it was over a hundred years ago.). So this story of "love displayed through sacrifice" was a breath of fresh air as well as great background on why Tasia wants to be "adult-like". (Since she was raised by two non-spoiled and independent people.)

Timothy's "coming of age" was very cool I thought. Great stuff and a very enjoyable read! I hope this was helpful!

--Dude

Shady says...

Thanks Dude! You're review was awesome, don't worry. :D I actually found it very flattering.

~Shady

megsug wrote a review...

Hey,
I'm sorry this has taken me an eternity to review. I have some free time this weekend. :)
I'm sorry if this is too harsh. I'm just going to jump on in.

I think this flashback is adorable. I really liked it.

“Was it?”
“No.”
*I found this slightly confusing. Description of facial expressions and actions would help, I think, because I can't quite tell where she is being serious and where she isn't.

“How did you learn Ecnarian?”
“You don’t have an Ecnarian accent.”
“No, but it proves I could be.”
“How?”
“Well how did you learn Lytiasian?”
“Oh, I’ve spoke it since birth.”
“So you are from Lytias?”
“No. I’m from Neko.”
*I find the majority of this part of this conversation pointless. It's very long without saying much except that Father is easily confused and ignorant of other places and that Mysterious Girl (who I still love, by the way) is from Neko and is very talented at mimicking accents. I'm not sure it helps the story at all.

*I do like this part of the conversation though which I know is tough because the first part of the conversation leads to this, but I feel like this gives us a look at her deeper character while the other part didn't.

brushing a strand of her hair behind her ear.
*I feel like this is too... close, I guess is what I'm going for. Not for Father as much as Mysterious Girl. I feel like this would make her shy away. I did like his answer though.

“Hello Susan.”
*I agree with Twit. I also think you could make this a FANTASTIC scene. I think it has possibilities that you may be looking over.

*I would like to know the hurt felt here. I'm thinking if he was such a pain the butt after one encounter with her coupled with the knowledge that he may never see her again, he must be a terror after this. I would like to see it.

until I had enough to buy a few acres of land across town from where my Papa owned.”
*I'm not sure what this is supposed to say. I've tried to make sense of it, but I'm not confident enough to do anything more than point it out.

I was attempting to eat a bite of the trout, trying not to gag,
*I enjoy this. I think I like it because he still seems so helpless, but he's managing by himself. If you know what I mean. It may be that I just like this paragraph.

*I love his stuttering too.

She started crying.
*I would define what kind of crying. At first I thought sobbing, but that doesn't fit her character.

*Aw... This child makes me so happy with his awkward cluelessness. I love him.

“Then what’s the matter.”
*Question mark instead of period.

conversation.”
*I just had an emotional reaction to this that I feel I need to share. I feel so bad for Tasia, trying to be adult only to be told to leave the adults to their conversation.

As in the first part, I feel you need more facial expressions/actions throughout the dialogue. I think it's as important as the words. When you're talking to a person, you take into account their body language and their words. This would be the same.

That's the only thing that I hadn't covered in my initial review.
Again, I'm sorry if it was too harsh. I felt like a rambled a bit too.

I just love your characters. They're so likable and sweet. I'll be reading your first two chapters soon. You've definitely got a fan here. :)

Any questions and you don't see me on chat just PM me.

Megsug

Shady says...

Thanks Megs! Your review has helped alot. *runs off to edit*

Twit wrote a review...

Hi Vyper!

“Touché.”

So, Ecnarian = French? Mm. Curiouser and curiouser...

I didn’t have to wait long before I saw her galloping across the plain, her crimson hair billowing out behind her, her face filled with joy- I’d never seen anything more beautiful than that. I swear she got lovelier every time I saw her.

This is nice, but isn’t crimson a purple-red? Like scarlet’s an orange-red. Not a natural red, I mean.

“Hello Susan.”

Pffwait? Oh, wait, that’s her name. Ok. The way this is structured makes it sound like him knowing that should be a kind of Big Reveal. Could he ask her name on the previous visit, so we get used to her name before important stuff starts happening?

I was surprised to see who was standing on my doorstep.

Surprised is rather a tame word for the situation. He hasn’t seen her in months; shouldn’t he be more worked up?

---
Hi!

So, more developments regarding language and setting. Character-wise, I’m wondering all the more how this flashback is relevant to the plot. If it is, then ignore me. It’s just that it’s a pretty big flashback; you’re taking a lot of time out from Tasia’s POV to tell it, so it should be important and relevant and all. I suppose this means then that Tasia has rich relatives on both sides; that could come in handy. And I do like how it gives greater insight into Tasia's father and mother, especially her father. He seems like a very together, nice kind of guy. ^_^

Anyway, this is good! You do move a little quickly in some places, but that could be just style differences. Sometimes it would be good, though, to really stop and soak up some atmosphere, like when Tim and David are climbing the mountain, when Tim is sitting by the stream, inside Tim’s house. There is description, but it could be elaborated on, make a bit more colourful.

PM or Wall me if I was unclear on anything. :)

-twit

Shady says...

Thanks Twit! I'll definitely be editting very soon, and, as always, your review is tons of help.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:00 am
Clarity wrote a review...

Well, this just gets better and better. It's strange... because I generally only get interested with supernatural stories. But you have me drawn right it! I can't wait for the next chapter... But I said in my comment on part one, that you should seperate this into two seperate chapters... well ignore that. This works really good as one big chapter. :D

So, time for my constructive critisism. Of which I have none.
Now that part is over, let's get to what I thought was really good.
All of it. I am really intruiged in this. You switched scenes very good, and since they are set in different time frames, that's even better! I need to read chapter one and two so I understand more fully... But i'll get to it soon enough!

I truly cannot see any way for improvement... This is just a very captivating story. I have to say this is in the top three of the stories I have read.

I just want to carry on reading, and reading!

Well done! Good luck!

Let me know when the next chapter is done! I look forward too it. I might beof some help then. As of now. There is simply nothing to complain about nor suggest for improvement. If I do think of something that might help, i'll send you a PM.

-Clarity.

Shady says...

Wow. Thanks Clarity! This review is very flattering. :D

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:43 pm
Nornadean wrote a review...

I like this story it kind of reminds me of my romance with my soon to be husband. I do believe that if you really love someone you are able to make it work no matter what. It makes me happy when a guy would go through a lot even if it includes building your own house to prove yourself. It was an all out glamorous story about how a man wins his wife over by simply building a house. So beautiful and romantic.

Shady says...

Thank you. :D

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
— Albus Dumbledore