Part I: The World Beyond the Windows

by Aurrora

This is for the Writer's Digest Science Fiction/Fantasy contest. It's part one of three, because I think over 3,000 words is too much to read on here. It's kind of strange and based on my own skewed version of Peter Pan. I think it will make sense if you've never heard of Peter Pan before, but I'm not sure. Please tear to shreds!

The next part is here:http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=96981 and the last part is here:http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=96982

Part I: The World Beyond the Windows

You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;

They called me the hyacinth girl.

Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,

Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not

Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither

Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,

Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

- T.S. Eliot, The Burial of the Dead I (The Wasteland)

Girl

She is a child no longer. Once, that in itself seemed impossible. It was always so hard to imagine growing, bones splitting and lengthening, white baby teeth forced from her gums and new teeth crawling in to fill their places.

The year she was twelve a boy stood in the darkness of her room, searching for a shadow, and offered her forever. She ran – no, flew, on wings made of shimmering dust and dreams – away with him. They hunted beasts as big as bears but with skin thick and dry like a snake’s. They rode rainbows until their stomachs ached and their voices were rough from laughing. They scooped pearls from the bottom of the ocean, intoxicated by the blue of the sky.

She shed the properness that had been sunk into her skin along with the thick London fog. When her dress became too tattered to wear, she took a pair of pants and his rough woven shirt instead. Her hair hung long and loose. She was the wild-girl, the Lost Girl who was sure she had just been found. She was his lady, his sister, his mother and sweetheart, each like a cloak she could slip into so easily.

And he was the Boy Who Never Grew Up, the boy who never grew old, who never gave in. Always the same old thing, the same wonderful, new thing, because who can see the magic in every day better than a child? He held her hands and twirled her, fingers laced firmly together. This was Never, Neverland and there was no law in the earth and sky but theirs.

But his world is a mockery, a skewed version of hers, where nothing ever grows and nothing ever dies. Her hands were small and soft, always, and the bowstring cut her fingertips long passed when they should be armored with calluses. Her brother Michael crushed a beetle, two rocks scraping together in his hands, but from the smudged black stain another beetle was born.

She wove a daisy crown, with flowers as white as the moon and as red as blood. She wore it for three days and three nights, but the petals never withered and stems never drooped. On the fourth day, she took the boy’s knife and tore them open, laid before her in pieces. When the new buds peeked through the dirt at her feet, fed by the juicy blood of petals and stems, she ripped them out.

He found her there, crying, her hands tangled in her hair. He offered her a piece of honeycomb and a familiar smile. She offered him his own knife, blade first.

“Do you think you’ll come back too?” she said to him. His lips opened, closed, perfect pink lips like the china dolls all lined up on a shelf back in her empty room. She brought him to his knees, one hand tight in his hair and the other tracing his cheek, gently, with the tip of his knife.

His eyes were wide, impossibly blue in the paleness of his face. He could not be completely real, completely human. But his chest rose and fell, his pulse tapped against her thumb, urgent and strong. She had never seen him afraid before. It made him seem more real.

She rested the knife in the hollow of his throat. He swallowed. She let it drop to the ground and pressed her lips against his, hungry, to taste his fear on her tongue.

He pulled away; buzzing in his ears, and touched his lips with trembling fingers. “Don’t.” he whispered. It was like a prayer to a God that doesn’t exist here, to the blue sky and the wild flowers and the crumbling walls of the castle he so carefully built. “Don’t.” His fingers dug into her arms. His breath was hot on her face, her neck. She closed her eyes to the darkness in his face. It might have been called betrayal, on someone else. On the face of Peter Pan, it had no name.

“Sorry.” She whispered back. “I’m sorry.” The words were bitter in her mouth. But the boy smiled, laced their fingers together and pulled her to her feet, already off on another adventure.

She followed him, because she was a good girl, a loyal girl, and if her smile was a little too big and her eyes were a little too dark, well, she had forever before her to sort these things out.

So they ran wild. They drank icy stream water from the cup of their hands and sprawled back in the shadows to count the stars. The Lost Boys built her a cottage in the woods, and even if she’d rather sleep beneath the stars, she called it the Little House and helped them paint it blue and white.

She was there, caught between those the four close walls and the roof, pushing down on her until she couldn’t move, couldn’t breathe the hot, thick air, when she pulled on a shirt to find that the sleeves barely brushed her wrist. She traced the web of thin blue veins peeking out from the hem, hesitant as baby birds.

Quietly, she laced up her boots and tied her hair back. She woke her brothers, little Michael with his war-painted cheeks and John, who reached for his bent glasses. She held a finger to her lips and sent them down a path to the shore.

Last, she went to the boy with the never-changing face, the one who used to hold all of her dreams in the palm of his hand. His skin was smooth and glittering with stardust. She kissed him, to press some memory of herself into him. She imagined it, like a poison or disease, sliding through his red, red blood and carving her name on his heart.

She did not say goodbye.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:08 am
AlfredSymon wrote a review...

Aurrora! Sorry for the very late review! I never knew you posted in my thread, sorry! Anyways, here's a little piece of my mind on your piece :D

THE FIRST PARAGRAPH...
...seems good enough. I think not mousing over the story itself can give a background on what your character feels. And I think the firstie gave enough strength to produce such impact. The first sentence seemed to knock on my mind's door asking to read WHY she isn't a child no longer. This line is a good starter since it can really lead any (I hope) readers into reading more of it.

And he was the Boy Who Never Grew Up, the boy who never grew old, who never gave in.

This is a very good description of the Boy, but technically and in terms of taste, parallelism is what this line lacks. Each passage started with an article and the word boy, so I think the last part should also deserve it. Plus, although it would be poetic to write that way, it may leave us readers in a cut, which I think isn't that good.

His eyes were wide, impossibly blue in the paleness of his face.

I believe there is a more appropriate adverb than 'impossibly'. You're trying to mean 'greater than the norm degree', but impossibly seems to go over it too much.

So they ran wild.

I think this is not the best starter for a paragraph, unless, I believe, it's another section.

She was there, caught between those the four close walls and the roof, pushing down on her until she couldn't move, couldn't breathe the hot, thick air, when she pulled on a shirt to find that the sleeves barely brushed her wrist.

Grammarwise, this is a bit misleading. The use of 'those' is unnecessary. And the use of close can be better in participle form. You could also consider the last clause as a sentence on its own. This brings a gap between the heavy feeling of not breathing ;)

On the bottom-line, I enjoyed reading the piece. It goes from fast to slow paced, so I really felt the action with the emotion. The story is also building up, so lengthening it will do wonders.

Good luck!

Your pal,
Al :D

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:40 pm
PixieStix wrote a review...

Oh my god. I really, really love this. Peter Pan, yo.

S'amazing. I love the detail you've put into this peice, and I'm a sucker for remakes of stories, and somehow think if you've added a little more, this would've been a keeper.

It's obviously a love story, and I love how the girl was threatening to kill him at one point, but then totally surprised him and kissed him. To be honest, I fell in love with that boy. Sounds amazing.

The way you described the characters - what they look like, what they're feeling are at the time, and they're relationships between people in the story, is marvelous. Keep it up.

That's all I really need to say. Good job!

~Pix

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:49 pm
Twit wrote a review...

Hi Aurrora! Sorry this is so late. >_<

She ran – no, flew, on wings made of shimmering dust and dreams – away with him.

Love the description, but the dash afterwards makes the entry into the rest of the sentence too abrupt. I think it would go better reworded to something like, She ran away with him—no, flew away, flew on wings made of shimmering dust and dreams.

They rode rainbows until their stomachs ached and their voices were rough from laughing. They scooped pearls from the bottom of the ocean, intoxicated by the blue of the sky.

The ends of these sentences seem disjointed from the beginnings. Like, how does one get a sore stomach from riding a rainbow? They’re diving in the bottom of the ocean, so why are you talking about the sky?

When her dress became too tattered to wear, she took a pair of pants and his rough woven shirt instead.

“Pants” is an Americanism, and since you mention London, maybe say “trousers” instead?

She wove a daisy crown, with flowers as white as the moon and as red as blood.

Red daisies?

“Sorry.She whispered back.

Should be a comma and small letter.

--
I love love love your prose. It’s beautiful and poetic and your descriptions are almost edible in their goodness. I like this insight in Wendy’s character and at the perfection of Never Never Land that’s perhaps too idealised to make for real happiness; it’s nice and I love Peter Pan anyway, so it’s awesome all round. ^_^ I’ll go on to the next parts and leave an overview at the end, but for now, this part at least is lovely.

-twit

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:07 pm
barefootrunner wrote a review...

Okay, here is your review!

Spelling, grammar and other nitpicks:

Very good, here. Almost nothing wrong!

They drank icy stream water from the cup of their hands

I think you want 'cups' here.

He pulled away; buzzing in his ears, and touched his lips with trembling fingers.

I don't like that semi. It's plausible, but it does not have a real place there and confuses the reader as to the meaning of the sentence.

Her hands were small and soft, always, and the bowstring cut her fingertips long passed when they should be armored with calluses.

Firstly, the word is 'past', not 'passed'. Even then your sentence does not make sense for me. Maybe it's just me, but even so, consider rephrasing it so that others cannot get confused. You change your tense in there, too, so I am completely lost. Oh no wait! I got it! I understand, but you really need to rephrase. Try something like 'the bowstring cut her fingertips long past when they should have become armoured with calluses.'

Okay, this was fine, but I would suggest squeezing in a 'her' before growing. Look at the note on your style just below.

General:

Your style was great. Really. The atmosphere just screams 'I'm different!' with the sophisticated, poetic and slightly enjambed style you have. But your style is so entirely different, you need to ease the reader into it very subtly, or they might just suffer from cardiogenic shock. This isn't an easy read, you know. Therefore, squeeze in that 'her'. It makes a difference, and you might just end up with a slightly less pop-eyed look in the case of the astounded judges.

The idea felt like an alcohol swab. Refreshing, and slightly stingy. Nice job with that!

This is a more descriptive, static, abstract piece, so it does not flow or rush ahead like other stories might. Beware of this stagnation. If you want an easier read, give more dialogue and action. But that is your own choice.

Very good overall! Quality work!

WaitingForLife wrote a review...

Heya!

That sure was a refreshing read. When I was a little boy, I watched Peter Pan over and over, it being one of my favorite movies. Now that I read this, I have to admit I like this version better. I like your macabre twist on the obscure realm of Never, Never Land. It's weird how much more sinister it seems when you don't die, when compared to not ageing. A subtle shift, but immensely powerful; I never saw it from that angle before. The last line was haunting. I liked it. Yeah.

Your writing (grammar, metaphors, all that shizz) is spotless as far as I can tell. The story runs smoothly, even if it is fast-paced, and the subject matter is intriguing. I'll go read the rest of the parts; you got my attention. I won't post a comment on them if I don't find something specific to latch onto, so don't be disheartened if I don't review them. It just means they were awesome. :D

I couldn't find much at all, well, okay, nothing at all, to critique in this. Maybe someone pickier will find something between the lines, but for me it was a solid, enthralling read. Best of luck in your competition. ^^

Your's truly,
|Life|

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson