z

Young Writers Society



Recursive Life

by GeeLyria


Recursive Life

By Sol Valeria

"And, have you ever got to think what would it be like to have the same routine every day?" the man on the couch asked with a serious tone, after long scripts of silence and nodding; I reckon that was his job. I just stood there for a moment, thoughtful, looking at the blurry image of white impeccable tiles on the floor.

Amelia, she always made it so hard for me to organize a schedule. She's vivid like a star, but free as a bee. She dreams and achieves, strives for success and never lets her dreams remain stereotyped as another one of her fantasies. She’s forever unpredictable. I stare at her reflection on the mirror as she combs her hair and covers her face with unnecessary colors. She fixes her bangs to the left with her fingers, and looks at me through the mirror with an effusive smile.

"Do I look okay, Gil?" she asks me. Words won't come out of my mouth, so I nod like an imbecile because it's all I've got left to do.

Oh, geez! Amelia... I could never leave you.

She says it's time to leave the backstage behind, and that's it, because there's a whole crowd out there waiting for her and she won't make them wait more than they’ve already had. I made sure the microphones and the speakers are working correctly twice, and now, I interact with the musicians and the bodyguards.

I am, again, going to be helping her accomplish the challenge of one of her new occurrences, because I can never give her a "no" as a response. I slam my palm against my forehead and let it slip down my face.

"It's hard to catch up with you, Amelia," I whisper, expecting her not to hear as she walks away, anxiously amused and wide eyed.

She loves the fact that there's no air conditioning this time, no walls, no ceiling, just fresh air and stars... That's her; a child inside a woman's body, simplicity inside a Star.

I hear the crowd shout out her stage name recursively, as the air balloon slowly expects to place her down on the stage. I don't join the people, I just admire her beauty and remember who she is, because to me she's simply my transparent and sweet Amelia.

Out of a sudden, Amelia's expression begins to make me get worried. There's certainly something wrong, but I can't hear her from up there.

My vision gets completely blurred, but now, there's sunlight sneaking through the mere vision of an image that slowly, starts to become clear. I find myself looking outside the window, sitting at the kitchen table and ready to go to work.

My wife, Amelia, seems to be in a rush, but she still gives me a smile and serves breakfast for me.

"The air balloon?" I burst out softly, unwittingly.

She tilts her head to the right and chuckles, looking at me.

"What?" she asks, smiling mischievously. "Are you going to help me with the air balloon thing tonight?"

I stare at her as she sips her coffee. I attempt to give her a negative response, but instead, I nod like an imbecile because it's all I've got left to do.

"Thanks, sweetheart." She leans forward and kisses my forehead.

I get on my car and drive to my office. In no time, I'm already sitting at my desk, drowning in between piles of writings that are not mine; I'm an editor. I sigh and get my job done, because I've got things to do after work; I got to meet my psychologist and attend to Amelia's concert tonight.

After long scripts of silence and nodding, my psychologist looks at me and asks me something as if he was talking to a whining wall and was trying hard to keep from yawning.

"And, have you ever got to think what would it be like to have the same routine every day?" he asked.

I keep that in my mind, and leave and go meet Amelia.

I look at her as she stares at her reflection, fixing her hair. She applies her make up, and I observe how the light plays with the glitter on her face. Then, she keeps her bangs from hiding her eyes and looks at me through the mirror. Her smile still leaves me breathless, because it's her smile.

"Do I look okay, Gil?" she asks. I am speechless to the point that I wouldn't even be able to stutter, so I nod like an imbecile because that's pretty much all I can do.

Oh, geez! Amelia... I would never leave you.

I hear her say she should leave already, because the people who are waiting to hear her sing have been waiting for a long time. I check on the microphones and speakers, hoping they are working like we all expect. And I check again. Now, I interact with the musicians and the bodyguards because they're all eating donuts instead of doing their job.

"Oh, it's hard to catch up with you, Amelia," I say to her, even when I know she walked off already, thinking about an air balloon.

I hear the crowd singing her stage name out loud, recursively. And the air balloon slowly expects to place her down on the stage. I stay there, quiet and thoughtful, looking at her.

Oh, my transparent and sweet Amelia, I think.

Out of a sudden, Amelia's expression begins to make me get worried. There's certainly something wrong, but I can't hear her from up there.

Now, I see nothing but blurred pixels of an image. I'm at the kitchen table. Amelia is standing in front of the stove, she looks in a rush, but still, she smiles at me... That's her; a child living a woman's life. I say nothing, andsmile back.

"Wait!" I burst out. "What about the air balloon?"

"What?" she asks, smiling mischievously. "Are you going to help me with the air balloon thing tonight?"

Oh, Amelia... I thought and sighed, right before the alarm let me know that the session was over. I shook my thoughts off and look at the guy that's sitting on the couch.

"I want no schedule," I say, joining the obnoxious beeps that are breaking the silence, and I stand up. "Amelia is no routine."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
108 Reviews


Points: 3342
Reviews: 108

Donate
Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:38 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...



Hi Solvy. :) Congrats on being featured. You deserve it. I just wanted to tell you that I love your story. Your characters are nutty, but that's what makes them interesting! :D And I love your descriptions. You have a beautiful writing style, and I should tell you more often. And sorry this a very unhelpful review but I suck at editing and reviewing. xD Maybe in the distant futrue, I'll be less suckish. One can only hope.




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 5400
Reviews: 60

Donate
Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm
View Likes
HorriBliss wrote a review...



Hey, hey
I'll start by saying you have an excellent little story here; short and sweet is always a good rule to follow :'), as other reviewers have pointed out, the grammar is a bit 'off' in some places, but that's fine if English isn't your first language, and also I'll only correct where they haven't! So without further ado...

I'll over my thoughts on what the story is about; I gathered that it's about a guy speaking to a therapist, who feels that he is always 'second' to his wife - she's the superstar, and he's just her husband. Although he loves her, he has to always be second to her, and supporting her forces him into a cyclic routine which, he doesn't realise, he is 'trapped' within? At least, that's what I gathered :)

The only criticisms that I can offer are small ones with the grammar, I'll list them here:

"just fresh air and stars... That's her;" - after the ellipsis, there does not need to be a capitalised letter i.e. "That's should be "that's".

"I hear the crowd shout out her artistic name recursively" - as has already been noted by another reviewer, the use of ''artistic'' is wrong here. What I think you mean is 'stage name' i.e. Jason Desrouleaux uses the stage name 'Jason Derulo' and Kamaljit Singh Jhooti is better known as Jay Sean :') Unless, of course, you mean her name 'Amelia' is artistic, in which case you'd be correct!

"I got to meet my psychologist and attend to Amelia's concert tonight." - should read: "I've got to meet my psychologist and attend Amelia's concert tonight."

Like I said, it's just small things that keep the story from reaching it's maximum potential, but an editor should fix this up - if you plan to go professional that is. Although, I stress that you don't completely rely on an editor, and try to learn as much of the language as you can.

Thanks for the story and I hope to see you around ;)




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! I'm here to review as requested.

I wanted to start out by letting you know that this was very well written. I know you said that english isn't your native language, but I could hardly tell. There were some parts where your words were simply mixed up, though. I'll point them out for you:

"And, have you ever got to think what would it be like to have the same routine every day?"

*I have two suggestions for this- 1) say 'And have you ever got to thinking, what would it be like to have the same routine everyday?' or 2) say 'Have you ever thought what it would be like to have the same routine everyday?'

She’s forever will always be unpredictable.


I stare at her reflection on in the mirror as she combs her hair...


and she won't make them wait more than they’ve already had.

*you don't have to use 'they've' here. It would real like this: 'and she won't make them wait more than they have already had' instead of this 'and she won't make them wait more than they already had'. The second sentence is correct and flows better.

I get on into my car and drive to my the office.


I got have to meet my psychologist and attend to Amelia's concert tonight.


I really like this story. It confused me when I read it the first time, but I understood the second time. I think. So basically this man says he doesn't have a routine in his life, but everyday is the same thing? That's what I got out of it. Pretty cool concept.

Overall you're grammar and spelling is good. I really only had to correct those spots above where you mixed up word order. I absolutely love the name Amelia by the way. It sounds like a princess.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




GeeLyria says...


<3



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 279

Donate
Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 pm
View Likes
MasterGrieves wrote a review...



I owe you a review, don't I? ;)

Well, it isn't going to be much, as it's been a while since I've reviewed, so I apologize if it isn't very helpful.

So, overall, this is really good. I especially like the mention of Amelia. I think that personally this is my favorite paragraph.

"I hear her say she should leave already, because the people who are waiting to hear her sing have been waiting for a long time. I check on the microphones and speakers, hoping they are working like we all expect. And I check again. Now, I interact with the musicians and the bodyguards because they're all eating donuts instead of doing their job."

I like how it creates an atmosphere of a smoky, almost jazzy club, where the people keeping it in order aren't....well very good XD

One thing I think you should improve would be this paragraph near the end.

"I hear the crowd singing her artistic name out loud, recursively. And the air balloon slowly expects to place her down on the stage. I stay there, quiet and thoughtful, looking at her."

I feel the use of artistic name is a bit forced and out of place. But this is only a nitpick.

So overall, you have impressed me Geelyria, as per usual :D As your twin, I hereby declare you awesome!




GeeLyria says...


Thank you so much, Twin<3333333333333 I'll see what I can do to fix that. xD



User avatar
884 Reviews


Points: 28282
Reviews: 884

Donate
Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:25 am
View Likes
StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...



This was really interesting....I actually found the redundancy a little too overbearing, but it was a clever twist all the same. I found myself loving your characters even though it was so short. There were a few places where the wording felt a little "off," such as in "Out of a sudden..." It just sounds a little odd, and I'd consider revising this only slightly.

In any case, this was a really nice story.

Keep writing,
StoryWeaver




GeeLyria says...


Thank you. :)




Carpe Diem
— Catullus