Lucky Me (working title)

by Kadie

Hi, new story idea that's been churning for a while. This will eventually be a romance centered story but it will probably take a good few chapters for that aspect to be introduced. It's mainly grammar that i need help with, especially in the dialogue. But if you could let me knowwhat you think of the story so far as well i'd appreciate it.

By the way i'm English so if there's any words or anything you don't understand, feel free to ask.

Thanks :)

Lucky Me

Chapter One

I was running late, again. Not surprising. Anyone who knows me will tell you that as a rule, I’m late for everything. Not on purpose of course, time just seems to slip away from me. But tonight was important, and this queue was taking forever.

Pulling my phone out of my bag, I looked at the screen and sighed loudly. I had 20 minutes to get out of this wretched place, catch the bus to town and walk the rest of the way up to the restaurant. The bus alone was a thirty minute journey. I was tempted to catch a taxi, but pay day was a long way off and my bank balance was looking dire already.

Shuffling forward slightly I looked around me. I was in line at the cigarette counter at the local co-op, but considering I worked here the other six days of the week, it’s really not where I wanted to be on my day off. However my cravings were kicking in. I’d managed to go all day without a cigarette, which for me was actually pretty good, but there was no way I was gonna last on a night out without my fix.

Looking across at the checkouts I caught the eye of one of the male colleagues, Adam. He’d been not-so-subtly eyeing me up, his eyes travelling up and down my body until finally reaching my face.

“Hey Liv,” he said, flushing a little at being caught. “You look nice, where you going?”

“Town for my best friends twenty first,” I replied. “You gonna be out tonight?” I didn’t really know Adam that much, he was new at work but I’d seen him in a couple of bars and clubs before. While he wasn’t really my type….he had a couple of friends who were positively yummy.

“Nah, I’m skint ‘til pay day. You have a good night though,” he replied, smiling.

“Cya later,” he said, turning his attention away from me as a customer started unloading their shopping onto his checkout.

“Bye.”

I was almost at the front of the queue now so I opened my bag and took out my purse, pulling out a ten pound note to be ready. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around to face a little old lady with huge round glasses and a friendly face.

“Here, I think you just dropped this dear,” she said, handing me a crumpled lottery ticket, her hands shaking.

“Oh, thank you, it must have fallen out of my purse,” I said, smiling back at her. She was small and frail looking and my heart went out to her a little bit. She must have been at least ninety, if the lines on her face were any indication.

“It’s ok dear, good luck.” I didn’t know what she meant at first, until I remembered the lottery ticket in my hand.

“Thanks,” I said, turning back around and walking the short distance up to the counter.

“Wow, someone’s dressed to impress,” said Laura, the girl behind the counter. I’d known Laura for a couple of years now, she’d worked here longer than me and we’d been out on a couple of work do’s together.

“Thanks,” I replied happily. I was wearing a new dress, it was short and black with a strappy back and the material clung tightly to my body. I’d paired it with black stiletto shoe boots and soft wavy hair. My make-up was a little heavier than normal, part of the reason why I was running late, but all in all I was rather pleased with the look. I didn’t get to dress up very often these days, so when I got the chance I tried to make the most of it.

“What can I get you?” Laura asked, looking and sighing at the queue behind me. I knew that feeling, she was in for a long night.

“Twenty Marlboro light please,” I smiled consolingly at her as she rolled her eyes and grabbed the cigarettes.

“That’s seven thirty six please,” she said, and I grimaced as I handed her the money. “I know, the price of cigarettes is ridiculous these days, makes me glad I quit last year.”

“I wish I could quit,” I said. “I’ve tried, but this place drives me up the wall. I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have a smoke to calm me down.” She handed me my change as we chuckled conspiratorially.

“Did you want me to check that for you?” She asked, nodding at the lottery ticket I still held.

“Erm, yeah actually you can do,” I said, giving her the ticket. I had dozens of old lottery tickets that had never been checked in my other bag. I just always forget and then end up throwing them away when the clutter gets to be too much.

Laura quickly straightened out the ticket, conscientious of the ever growing queue, and shoved it into the machine. The motors in the machine whizzed and gurgled before eventually spitting the ticket back out.

“Sorry,” said Laura. "It’s been playing up all day.” She tried it again, but the machine was having none of it.

“Don’t worry about it, it won’t be a winner anyway,” I said. The clock was ticking and I really needed to get a move on, not to mention the impatient customers behind me whispering and moaning.

“Hang on a sec I’m just gonna key it in,” said Laura determinedly. She pulled a face as she concentrated on entering the long sequence of numbers from the ticket. Finally she looked up and smiled as the machine made the noise again, this time printing out a small piece of paper.

“Oh looks like you’ve-“ Laura started to say before she looked back at the screen. “Oh my god,” she said, her eyes momentarily flitting up at me before going back to the screen.

“What? What is it? Are you alright?” I asked a little worried, her face had gone pale and she was still staring at the screen.

Oh my god,” she said again, before shaking her head and finally acknowledging me. “Olivia, you’ve won.”

“What? What do you mean I’ve won? How much?” I’d won on the lottery before on a couple of occasions, only small amounts though, the most being ten pounds.

“You’ve won the jackpot!” She said excitedly. “You’ve won twelve million quid!”

“Shut up, you’re taking the piss!” I smiled, honestly believing that she was messing with me. She was known for being a bit of a prankster, her April fools pranks were thestuff of legend, so you had to be a little wary of her sometimes. But then she handed me the small ticket that the machine had reluctantly spat out.

And on it it said:

JACKPOT WINNER!

£12,736,823.66

And then I feinted.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 pm
gossipgirlxoxo wrote a review...

Going to nit pick just a bit.
"But tonight was important, and this queue was taking forever."
You shouldn't start a sentence with 'But" maybe try adding a comma before the word, or rephrasing it.
"Shuffling forward slightly I looked around me"
I think you could do without the word 'me' "Shuffling forward slightly, I glanced around." Would do just fine.
"but there was no way I was gonna last on a night out without my fix."
You could probably just get rid of 'on' and be with "but there was no way I was gonna last a night out without my fix."
Other than those things, I really enjoyed the story! If you write anymore, please let me know. I'd love to read it Happy writing!

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 pm
gossipgirlxoxo says...

Going to nit pick just a bit.
Other than those things, I really enjoyed the story! If you write anymore, please let me know. I'd love to read it (: Happy writing!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:50 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hey Kadie! Sorry for the lateness but here is your review, as requested :)

Upon my first read I thought that it was an interesting idea, perhaps a little cliched though (although it's too soon to really tell). I read a book agent's blog pretty frequently and I remember reading at one point that one idea that gets queried to her a lot is a lottery story either where it ruins the person's life in some way or seriously helps the person's life in some way. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't write a story about someone winning the lottery, it just means that you need to take extra care to make sure your story is original and will stand out. Since this scene is really just setting up the story there isn't much that you can do here for originality but be thinking ahead for that. I think it definitely has potential though because you have an intriguing main character.

Here are my nitpicks:

I slashed that particular line because this paragraph starts to get redundant to me and that line just doesn't seem critical to me. Then I would start "Not on purpose" with a different word, like "I don't do it on purpose" so you don't have that repetition of "not".

Pulling my phone out of my bag, I looked at the screen and sighed loudly.

Sentences like this are a general pet peeve of mine. The way you start this sentence is very passive and I think it would sound better if it were more active. "I pulled my phone out of my bad, looked at the screen, and sighed loudly."

I had 20 minutes to get out of this wretched place, catch the bus to town and walk the rest of the way up to the restaurant. The bus alone was a thirty minute journey. I was tempted to catch a taxi, but pay day was a long way off and my bank balance was looking dire already.

Where is she?
Also, I really like how you're setting things up here. There is no scary info dump, you're tastefully giving pertinent information when we need it. So kudos there.

Shuffling forward slightly I looked around me.

Again with the passive sentences.

I was in line at the cigarette counter at the local co-op, but considering I worked here the other six days of the week, it’s (it was) really not where I wanted to be on my day off. However my cravings were kicking in. I’d managed to go all day without a cigarette, which for me was actually pretty good, but there was no way I was gonna last on a night out without my fix.

I would give this information sooner for clarity of location.
It's is present tense, everything else is past therefore It's should be it was, as marked.

Looking across at the checkouts I caught the eye of one of the (my) male colleagues, Adam.

Passive sentence again.

While he wasn’t really my type….he had a couple of friends who were positively yummy.

Personally, I think "He wasn't really my type, but he had a couple..."

He talks twice? Why is there a paragraph break here? Also, he is kind of saying good bye twice. "Have a good night" can work as a end in conversation. If you really want the "cya later" in there, add it to the end of "have a good night though" and then do the dialogue cues like "he smiled and turned his attention away..."
You don't always have to say a "he said/replied/answered/etc." you can give an action or not say anything at all.

“Oh, thank you, it must have fallen out of my purse,” I said, smiling back at her.

When I first read this I thought she was lying. Frankly, I was kind of hoping that she was because that could be an interesting part of her character and it could also create a really intriguing plot point. Like, here she wins all of this money, but it wasn't technically supposed to be hers because she didn't buy the ticket, she found it. But it's up to you :)

She was small and frail looking and my heart went out to her a little bit. She must have been at least ninety, if the lines on her face were any indication.

If you really want to include the descriptor information about the old woman, include it with her dialogue (before it) and then start a new paragraph at "I didn't know"

I was wearing a new dress, it was short and black with a strappy back and the material clung tightly to my body. I’d paired it with black stiletto shoe boots and soft wavy hair. My make-up was a little heavier than normal, part of the reason why I was running late, but all in all I was rather pleased with the look. I didn’t get to dress up very often these days, so when I got the chance I tried to make the most of it.

This is a lot of description and I would think about consolidating it a little.

I had dozens of old lottery tickets that had never been checked in my other bag. I just always forget and then end up throwing them away when the clutter gets to be too much.

I like this too, that she's hasn't been obsessively trying to win the lottery and then voila! had her lucky day. I mean, she had been sort of trying to win but without much conviction. This could become an intriguing plot point as well.

I also really liked that it didn't work right away. It adds to the suspense :)

“Oh looks like you’ve-“ Laura started to say before she looked back at the screen. “Oh my god (God),” she said, her eyes momentarily flitting up at me before going back to the screen.

“Oh my god (God),” she said again, before shaking her head and finally acknowledging me. “Olivia, you’ve won.”

I believe this story has a lot of potential. I think your protagonist is very interesting. She already has depth and it's only the first chapter. She's not some perfect little butterfly and has realistic flaws. There is intrigue with the supporting characters. I want to know if something will happen between Olivia and that guy or one of his friends :)

You mentioned that you want help with grammar, especially within the dialogue. I didn't notice any glaring grammar errors. The only big thing was being too passive at times but that's not a huge deal. To help with phrasing and stuff like that I find it very helpful to read out loud. That allows you to pick up on things that your brain can easily pass over while reading silently.

As for dialogue, I didn't think it was too bad. I think one of the hardest things to do in writing is creating good dialogue. Dialogue needs to feel realistic but also needs to help move the plot forward. Not all of your dialogue felt completely necessary to moving the plot forward but that's not something to worry too much about at this point. In terms of grammar the general format you need to follow is "words words words," He/She said. I'm not an expert at this but I'm pretty sure that works for most dialogue. The noun after the dialogue should always be capitalized though. I mentioned this earlier but remember you don't always have to say said/replied/answered/etc. and you can use an action like "She grinned" or something or not have a cue at all.

Overall I thought you did a nice job and the story has real potential. Let me know if you want me to read anymore as you post it. Also, please let me know if something didn't make sense or if you have any questions!

-Carly

Kadie says...

Wow, thanks a lot for the review, it was really helpful!

Yeah i was a little apprehensive writing a story about a lottery winner, but that's not going to be the main focus of the story. It's really just a tool to allow my character to do what she wants, to be able to follow her dreams without worrying about money, and also there will be a bit of family drama coming from the win. Hopefully it won't turn out too cliched :)

I left school a long time ago and i never went to college, I used to write all the time but then I stopped. So I'm a little rusty on the rules, especially with dialogue. And I did struggle to think of other ways to carry on after dialogue other than he/she said, which you picked up on.

Also, there's nothing I hate more than reading the first chapter of a story and it basically just being a big fat info dump. as i reader i feel like I'm doing all the work to actually get into the story, that's why I tried to spread it out over the chapter. I get where you're coming from though, there were a couple of things that could have been mentioned/explained earlier.

Thanks for taking the time to review. Like I said, I'm just getting back into writing. Who knows if I'll even continue with this story. But I was nervous to get a review cos I didn't know if it was hopeless or not, but I think you've gave me the bit of confidence I needed to continue, so thanks :)

- Kadie

Carlito says...

You're very welcome! And you should totally continue! I like your description of how the plot will develop and if you enjoy writing, then write. It doesn't have to be perfect (no first draft is) :)

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon